/mkg/ 12% Edition

>Buyer's template:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816015&ignorebbr=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Where is capacitive keyboard general? MKG is shit

Make it yourself

no u

no thx im more of an /ekg/ kind of girl

>$235 CAD incl. shipping

looks a bit gross but should i go for it

i really want a 104U with anime layout but it seems impossible to find one that ships to canada for less than $300 total

>girl

>Budget: Up to $140
>Location: USA
>Preferred switch type: I'm ordering a tester, but based off the descriptions I think Brown
>Layout: ANSI
>Form factor: 100%
>Backlight: Yes, but not too flashy. I don't love the whole "gamer" aesthetic
>Previous/current keyboards: none. I've used an MSI laptop in the past and I like their psuedo-tactile feel.

I also would like media controls. Any recommendations? I'm having trouble finding something like this that isn't Corsair/Razer crap with their own switches.

posted this at the end of last thread.

Post keyboard on tits

He hasn't been on hormones long enough for that

Why no full size mechanical keyboard with a trackpoint?

>>What are you on about?
>>It's not about the direction
>You had mentioned the home row - not me. Do you not know what it means?
Having a numpad (on the right) means you have to move a higher distance to get from the home row to the mouse. You'd still be moving your hands the same direction (to the right or to the left). How is this difficult to understand?
>>it's about the distance you have to move
>The difference is negligible.
No, it's really not. Especially if you go even further down to a 60% where your mouse is literally right next to the alphanumeric area.
>>It has everything to do with wrists being straight while on home row.
>I believe I did say "unless you're a retard". There's literally no need to bend your wrists when using an off-center setup.
You're either bending your wrists or being something else.
>>the numpad means your mouse is even further to the side.
>Which is nothing - and we're back to the dwarf argument.
Saying "which is nothing" doesn't magically cause it to actually be nothing.

I would like to buy a mechanical keyboard that:

* has the tenkeyless form factor
* is silent
* has backlight
* is black

what would you recommend?

So, we indeed are back to the dwarf argument.
I use a laptop and a mouse and the most comfortable position of the mouse for me leaves enough space for a NumPad.
I also pretty much never have the mouse on the level of the home row.
Despite being a full time developer, I rarely see the necessity to rapidly switch between mouse and keyboard input - I use shortcuts for the text navigation.
Mysteriously enough, I am fully capable of typing to an off-centered external display without bending my wrists.

If your arguments are limited to "No, because I say so! If I'm a shitposting midget - everyone else is a shitposting midget too!" - good for you. But I'll take my extended functionality with zero downsides ergonomic-wise, thank you.

>So, we indeed are back to the dwarf argument.
There's no fucking "dwarf argument". It makes a bigger difference on a smaller person, but that doesn't mean it somehow makes no difference for a larger person. I'm 6'2" (188 cm) which is far from "dwarf".

>Mysteriously enough, I am fully capable of typing to an off-centered external display without bending my wrists.
Why do you keep bringing up displays? It has nothing to do with the display.

>Despite being a full time developer, I rarely see the necessity to rapidly switch between mouse and keyboard input - I use shortcuts for the text navigation.
I too try to avoid switching to the mouse, but sometimes you have to. Other activities may involve quite a bit of switching. But people who can do what they do using almost exclusively a keyboard (let alone those who consciously make an effort to do so) are an extreme minority.

>equating height with shoulder width
it doesn't matter how tall you are when you're a rake

>Why do you keep bringing up displays?
Because only a genuine literal retard would bend his wrists because he isn't keeping the mouse on a side which is the most comfortable position for it unless you're using PC with your arms straight (the dwarf argument) while also being incapable of rotating the keyboard if necessary. So I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and aren't considering you to be one.

>Budget - £100
>Location - UK
>Preferred switch type - Blue
>Layout - UK QWERTY
>Form factor - 100%
>Backlight - Sure why not
>Previous/current keyboards - Quickfire TK

And yet that all offers no rebuttal to the simple fact that you're putting the mouse further away from the home row, thus forcing you to move your primary hand further when switching between keyboard and mouse.
This is a simple fact, and no amount of calling other people dwarves will change that.

The simple fact is the distance difference is negligible and has zero - literally - effect on the use, so the assumed ergonomic advantage does not exist.
Meanwhile, the corresponding lack of functionality is very real.

At least for me. Maybe tiny 12 years old kids in a dire need of saving a couple of milliseconds in-between writing shitposts disagree with me - I don't really care.
I do care that due to the trend, I can't buy a full-sized mechanical keyboard with a trackpoint because it doesn't exist (aside from m13, I guess).

>The simple fact is the distance difference is negligible
No, it's really not. Not when you have to do it as many times a day as you do.
The difference in having 6" from your alphanumeric cluster to mouse versus 10" is actually quite large.

>Meanwhile, the corresponding lack of functionality is very real.
You're automatically assuming that the average person makes a good amount of use out of a numpad. Hint: it's not much, because unless you're typing lots of numbers at once, the number row is more efficient due to proximity to home row. You're also ignoring other possibilities like left-hand numpads, which often makes even more sense from a functionality standpoint due to being able to navigate with the mouse of arrow keys with the right hand while typing the numbers with the left.
>Saving milliseconds
At least you're finally admitting it has some impact. I'd contend that it's more than a few milliseconds, but you're also ignoring the reduction in RSI and the like.

>At least you're finally admitting
I never argued against the fact it saves some time for dwarves.
My mouse, however, is never placed there.

>for dwarves
There you go again
>My mouse, however, is never placed there.
Then where is it placed?

>Then where is it placed?
>I use a laptop and a mouse and the most comfortable position of the mouse for me leaves enough space for a NumPad
I don't even know, user.

What is a good switch tester?

mx switches aren't clic-
buckling springs on suicide watch

>anime layout
You know most of the weebs just buy the ansi JP keycap set from their favorite keycap vendor right?

Also that spacebar would piss me off. The conversion keys need to be 1u.

Ducky One has white or blue leds. Everything else goes straight to RGB usually.

Your fingers.
>percussive sting

I'm looking at the Shine 5. Even though it's a little above my price range it just seems so well designed. How hard is it to find in stock?

Couldn't find one and got the 6 myself, 6 has optional software which makes lighting profiles easy (gaymen, editing, etc)
Would recommend.

Epic , epic for the win!

I have Box Whites on my keyboard right now and its my favorite switch right now tbhfam. I am really curious about Box Navys and the upcoming Box Jades (Thicc Clicc, but same spring as Box Whites)

K70, yay or nay?

Where do you guys get those braided coil cables?

I want topre 55g in europe thats not overpriced REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

corsair makes shit keyboards, get a ducky if you want fancy lights

55g HHKB reportin in

Make it yourself

I can't fucking turn off the backlight on my keyboard. There's no key and no instructions. I am so pissed.

How are topre switches?

Anyone have strong opinions on the Workman layout?

How soon does Unicomp usually ship? Ordered yesterday so when can I expect to get my keyboard?

Well memed! Le Upvote for you, good sir!

There are tho

Ducky One with mx silent

Well its thanksgiving today soo maybe it will ship monday

I just got a Cooler Master Pro M

I know that most of you will say I bought worthless shit, but to someone who has been using laptop KBs for the last 8 years... this is a new age.

As long as its the new one you're good. There aren't that many mainstream 96key keyboards yet, even thought there are for the 1800 layouts.

Cooler Master is considered OK-tier here, especially that Pro M model.
Those keycaps though, well you should draw your own conclusion soon enough if you have any bit of good taste.

CoolerMaster's bretty gud, they're the best of the mainstream gamer brands by a long shot.

Nice to hear. I bought the white backlight only, but yeah, the keycaps are a bit acoustic. Specially the CM logo instead of the windows symbol.

It's funny because Japanese use English keycaps and not the weeaboo shit you see on cuckeddit.

Can anyone help with suggestions as to what to look at for Black Friday. My steelseries is basically dead after 4 years. half the board chatters terribly and for gaming it has definitely become noticeable on the a key.

Using the template in OP:
>Budget: £90
>Location: UK
>Preferred switch type: Cherry Red
>Form factor: - 100% - full keyboard with function keys, navigation section and numpad
>Backlight: I'm not too bothered
>Previous/current keyboards: Steel series 6G V2

Would be appreciated for all suggestions.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816015&ignorebbr=1

$50 for genuine cherry mx reds seems pretty good

I currently have a board with outemu black, gateron blue, and cherry silver. I've owned cherry black and cherry red in the past. I've never owned a tactile switch and so I want to buy a board with them.
Which should I get:
gateron brown
cherry brown
orinitative mod-h tactile
matias quiet click

>gateron brown
Almost linear
>cherry brown
Almost linear and scratchy
>orinitative mod-h tactile
ok, but overpriced and also a little scratchy
>matias quiet click
cccchhhattterrriiinngg and also no good keycaps

62g lubed cherry ergo-clears is the only true answer.

I can get a nice board with mod-h for $80. To do ergo clears would be a pain in the ass. I'm not going to build my own so I'd have to get the glorious pc race modular tkl
mod-h it is

>I'm not going to build my own

Why not? You should have started building that XD84 board the first time I listed the parts for you.

Just jailhouse your blue gateron switches. They should feel almost the same without the wobble/noise.

non of them, get a model m

linear-until-colapse is objectively the worst type of tactility.

That depends. Do you want:
scratchy red
scratchy red
great tactile feel
great tactile feel without keycaps options

Get on my level!

>linear
its not tho you dum dum

>not nipponese

That would be perfect if not for the fucked backspace.

>Membrane

>Gaymer

>Assuming I play video games

But it is, until is colapses. Its not realy hard to understand why, until it buckles, the spring is the only thing that generates resistance. IBM springs are linear, there is no coil size variation, so its linear.

Why else would you care about the only flaw of a membrane (Lack of N Key rollover)

I buy keyboard primarily for typing, not for anything else, and membrane based boards are perfectly fine. Mine have been running for 30 years now.

I have a Model F and they are practically linear, the only tactility is from bottoming out

>membrane based boards are perfectly fine

That isn't even remotely true... Yes they feel linear at first because of how smooth they are, then the spring buckles (you should feel a vibration on your finger) and then the key continues to travel a tiny bit.
Press the key down as carefully as you can and you'll see what I mean.

Does Sup Forums have a favorite cheap mechanical keyboard? Kinda overwhelmed with all the Chinese choices on Amazon

>Press the key down as carefully as you can and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah you have to press it really slow to feel the tactility, just like cherry switches.

Instead of quoting everything I say why not make a valid argument as to why membrane boards are bad you bellend. I have just told you my Model M's are mostly 30 years old, as as far as I am concerned, membranes are perfectly reliable.

That's not what I was suggesting, you always feel the tactility (if you don't there's probably something wrong with your board) You just have to press down slowly to notice that there's more travel after the tactile bump

>membranes are perfectly reliable.
> you always feel the tactility (if you don't there's probably something wrong with your board)
>Uses a membrane keyboard
>Says something is wrong with my keyboard

tomoko

Go get a vintage keyboard with alps switches

the model F is not a membrane keyboard

all the magicforce keyboards

>Thinks his SSK is a Model F

If membranes weren't reliable they wouldn't last 30 years+

Dust and dirt can effect the tactility of the board if it interferes with the spring, flipper, and underlying pcb or membrane. So yes there could be something wrong with the keyboard if the tactility isn't noticable

I use more than just Model M's, and I wasn't even talking to you. Learn to follow a conversation. And Model F's do NOT use a membrane, Model M's do, and my conversation with the other person was regarding Model F's.

Jesus christ why is Sup Forums /mkg/ full of absolute spergs? Some of you are worse than reddit.

Jesus christ that isn't even me you fucking retard.

>Thinks he didn't respond to me twice in one post

Where did you get that from? Are you just retarded?

>Anime

So you're doubly retarded?

>desperate damage control after making himself look like a colossal twat.

>anime technology board

>Calls SSK a model f
>Calls me twat for saying it isn't

Thanks friend

No one called the SSK a model F

I'm just going to ignore him now, only on Sup Forums will you find people resorting to trolling as a desperate attempt to cover up their idiocy.

>I say the guy with the Model M uses a membrane
>No one is talking about a Model F
>Says Model F isn't a membrane

Read this post you absolute nonce
>why else would you care about the only flaw of a membrane

Literally stated it used a membrane, how stupid are you?

>scratchy
?¿ what does that even mean

ive been using cherry browns for 5 years now and ive never thought that they were "scratchy"

He probably couldn't follow the conversation due to all the (You)s he was getting. I honestly didn't mind when hiro removed them. Maybe if they weren't distracting him he could see who he was replying to