Does anyone still use these anymore...

Does anyone still use these anymore? I'm thinking of picking one up on black friday and was wondering if they were still even remotely relevant, particularly for manga.

Other urls found in this thread:

us.kobobooks.com/
ebay.ca/itm/Amazon-Kindle-Keyboard-3-3rd-Gen-4GB-Wi-Fi-3G-GREY-B00A-B006/122757150471
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Great for ebooks, total crapshoot but sometimes passable for PDF, I've only had limited experience with manga on it but it didn't go well

Don't think they're good for manga. But I still use mine a lot. Basically whenever I feel like reading a book.

For those of us who read, yes, they're still very relevant.

I tend to just use my phone for text to speech on books so I listen to them while doing something else. But I also read my Kindle occasionally

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a used kindle keyboard (I loved mine but broke the screen) Or spend $70 more and buy a kindle paperwhite.

I've heard the paperwhites have some quality issues, is this true? Will they still display my pirated pdfs (I don't pay for ebooks)

DPI and size per dollar is still terrible
hasn't ridden the wave of the LCD cheapening
still going to replace my library eventually

Paperwhite is better, but start pirating epub (convert with Calibre to mobi) or mobi outright. PDFs are too inconsistent on it. More of a format size issue I think.

DPI is more than enough; they're all 'retina class' now.

Oh I pirate epub when it's available, but for a lot of technical books that just isn't available.

Would you say for things like equations the paperwhite is a marked improvement?

Hear the words of someone who fell for the e-readers meme.
Don't buy one unless you plan to read epub format.
And even then it's more of a hipster novelty device.
The screen refreash rate is slow unless you go with nook, kobo are good but newer models are locked down, and amazon is straight botnet and severely locked down.
If you read textbooks, manga, or any other media that have images, then get a tablet.
This is what I use my e-reader for now.

If you're sitting down to actually *READ* there's no replacement for eink (well, besides a printed book).

As long as it's not a kindle. Get a Kobo.

- Natively supports libgen epubs
- More font options, and can actually load custom fonts
- Actually allows you to fucking unjustify text
- Micro sd expansion support in some models
- Has a water proof model (this feature's been more useful than I initially expected it to be)
- Faster page turn speeds (last time I checked)
- Ability to load your own custom pdf/cbz/etc readers

us.kobobooks.com/

Don't forget the 'flux' lighting in some of the new models, which I couldn't live without now (pretty much like how you can't live without it on your computer/phone once you get it)

I'm kind of poor, and Canadian, it looks like the cheapest model is the Aura 2? How is that compared to the paperwhite? Is it worth the extra $30?

Chapters/Indigo has the H2O v2 on for $160 Canadian for black Friday (normally $200). If you want a premium reader that's the one to get.

But for entry level, the Paperwhite has the batter hardware (the Glo HD was better than the Aura that replaced it). Look for a Glo HD if you want a cheap Kobo.

Hmm, another option I am looking at is
ebay.ca/itm/Amazon-Kindle-Keyboard-3-3rd-Gen-4GB-Wi-Fi-3G-GREY-B00A-B006/122757150471

To replace my old keyboard that broke. Is there a compelling value proposition for the more expensive ones?

There's a manga version on nip amazon, so it should be good for manga.

What about tablets?
>inb4 muh battery life and eye strain.

...specifically, the Aura v2 has a notably lower resolution screen than the Glo HD (or the paperwhite)

This will be awful. If getting an older reader, look for one with at least a frontlight and +200ppi. These have been common features for years.

>Has a water proof model
Stop fapping to erotica

I read with mine in the tub. It's great.

Why not just go for an actual audiobook then?

If you're a guy why do you take a bath.
if you're a girl why do you do that?

eye strain is definitely not a meme

>If you're a guy why do you take a bath.
Wait, what?

> Not relaxing in a nice hot bath after a long day of doing stuff

Feels good man

>doesn't realize that not all books have audiobook versions

Audiobooks are best for fiction and comedy IMO, but for non-finction I prefer to read.

Many books don't get made into audiobooks and many that do have really shit production/voice actors

It’s absolutely great for ePub books, but nothing else. I tried reading manga with my Kobo, but the small screen, refresh rate and screen flickering when changing pages quickly became annoying. I use iPad Pro to read manga (and PDFs) and the experience is much better.

Depends on the book. A lot of "pop-sci" nonfiction stuff is loaded with fluff, and pretty easy to listen to at 3x speed.

I switched completely from buying English books to reading them on e-reader.

The backlight is so handy when you start to get bit tired, that and its size are the winnig factors over books

I have a Kobo Aura ONE, and use it quite a lot (this is the 7.8inch model). The default firmware is utterly useless, but if you install koreader it becomes a very capable reader, even for scientific Pdf files. (koreader crops the margins automatically, so it uses the entire screen). It is also very good for manga, as long as you don't want to quickly 'flick through' the pages, because page turns are not the fastest.
(kobo is planning to release a 32 Gb model soon, so you might want to wait for that)

It's called an e-reader, not an e-viewer. Reading means words, literature. That's what they are perfect for. You are a faggot who wants to look at drawings, so no, they are not the solution.

Got myself a one not too long time ago. I've been reading more frequently because of this machine. I also jailbroke the whole thing for some candies and I'm reading mangas on it as well. Highly recommended if you're in for reading. Mangas aren't that bad to convert though. There's an application called Calibre for managing your library and handling conversions. KCC (Kindle Comic Converter) is recommended for mangas though because it does everything like it should. Just don't re-convert them in Calibre because it messes things up.

Not quite true.
You just need to get an expensive one if you want that.

Get a kobo, they're really nice, too, and have much less botnet to them. Also support open ebook formats without converting

I forgot to add that you can read epub files as well. There are at least two ways of doing it. Convert them via Calibre to .mobi etc. or just jailbrake the machine and use KOReader to read them. I don't have experience on other reading machines. People are making good points in this discussion about them though.

>6 inch display
>manga

amazing for ebooks but its pretty shit for pdfs

is the amazon fire 8 a good tablet for reading?

So what's the thinkpad of e-readers?

Don't get a Fire for reading. If you're getting anything just for reading it should be e-ink, otherwise get a better tablet.

Great for books which only have text

>e-ink
Noice
> get a better tablet.
Any suggestions?

Ipad

Yeah but what model were you using? These things aren't all the same dimensions. The Aura has a 7.8" screen compared to the 6" and smaller ereaders that's fucking huge.

just make sure to get a reader with android so you could sideload(via adb) apps.
i'm rocking an inkbook classic 2, bought it at 70 euro and i couldn't be happier with it. It's perfect for manga, books of all kind and even light shitposting

I just got an old Kindle 4 and jailbroke it. Now I wonder what to do with it, are the any interesting homebrews for it? For now I just got that KUAL file explorer

I do

Its ok if you get epubs but its a pain with free online PDFs
Battery lasts forever, is tiny so fits anywhere.

i have the onyx boox carta2 it's 300dpi, the screen is nice and i read all berserk on it - the image is very good as long as scans are good quality

Honestly I can't even go back to paper books these days, they're so much more inconvenient. They're bulky, have no self lighting, I can never remember where I left off, and once you finish one it's dead weight to carry around.

1) get Kindle
2)hook it to key manga
3) unlimited volumes directly on your device
4)it's fucking free

And what would be the best tablet to read pdfs then?

Honestly, one of the best tech buys ever if you read a lot.

Once you realize you can get almost any book for free as an ebook, it is a fucking amazing moneysaver as well as the ability to have your entire library with you all the time.

Also, great battery life (months on one charge for me)

I have a Paperwhite and I recommend 100%.

>key manga
wut

>2)hook it to key manga
what did he mean by this?

where do you find your mangas? I've been trying to find a copy of goodnight punpun in english for months now. do I just suck or is it actually hard to find

They specifically have a manga version for japs lol

>dude I hate emailing myself pdfs and having them automatically converted to my kindle
yeah that sucks

Fucking autocorrect, i meant kmanga, it's a site made for eraders where you can download scans for free

you're not japanese
stop pretending to be japanese
your family hates you

Oh, so your children's coloring books don't work so well on Kindle eh? Wow that's a shame user.

>emailing myself
That's autistic level of loneliness and tech illiteracy

not him but get a cracked version of domdomsoft manga downloader its awesome works great

I usually keep my kindle in flight mode to safe power

They actually have a service where you can send an email with a pdf attached and then they transfer the epub/mobi version of that file to your kindle.

Tried this a couple of times, they usually turn out shit and the PDF just ends up being better.

Is it possible to make a jailbroken Kindle view manga pages in full screen at all times? I kind of hate having to hold the middle of the screen, zoom in, read, tap out and then continue to the next page only to repeat the process. That's the only reason I'm not really reading manga on my Kindle.

Madokami + wget

thanks!

this is the reason pdfs are shit

Buy a Kobo Aura H2O

do you get past the daily dl limit through wget?

I've got one of the old Kindles with a keyboard and 3g sitting around somewhere, wonder if it still works

I like ereaders, I've had a Kindle Keyboard for years, but they're not great for manga. You lose out on color inserts and sometimes they stutter with large images. Overall it's just best to get a tablet.

On a related note, how are the Kobo readers? Is there anywhere to get them on sale this week? I can't bring myself to pay $129 for an ereader on Black Friday.

It does.

There's daily limit?

last time i used it yeah

30 issues a day.

Volumes you mean?

I don't think kmanga uploads full volumes, but I might be wrong.

I'm retarded please ignore me

Get it for the free 3G. The money you save from data costs will repay for it in a couple months.

I had Android hacked onto an old Kobo (original Glo iirc). It was useless since generic Android apps work like total garbage on eink.

The H20v2 *was* on sale 20% off yesterday. You missed it.

judging by the manga i've read on mine, the comparison is terrible.

The Paperwhite is an improvement on everything except input

I read in the Kindle every day
Why so rude?
If you want one I'll get you one