/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.
If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/22/943
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/405783/why-does-man-print-gimme-gimme-gimme-at-0030
bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=79722
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

had a brief look at the packages in the void repo, doesn't seem to be lacking too much. But reading about problems with teamviewer somewhat puts me off since I need it for work

good thread

c-can I find GNU/shelter here from all the net neutrality threads?

Just installed Fedora for the first time, been a Ubuntu user for a year or so, I'm having trouble figuring out some of the basics.

How do I install software via the package manager? is it yum or dnf?

How do I get Docky? neither yum or dnf can find it.

How do I install the entire Gnome3 package like on Ubuntu 16.04 with "sudo apt install gnome"? Fedora comes with what looks like a cut down version and it's missing some features I like (tweak tool)

Thanks anons

what data do you back up and how frequently?

Are your fucking serious? Void is literally built around xbps-src.

dnf is the newest one, use that

Just use a filter. That's what I do.

have a look at the repositories, there should be a meta package that install all gnome related ones. However, I don't know why you would do that because gnome is hideous and terrible

what would you recommend? I'm not a fan of gnome but I havent found anything better

I prefer mate, but when it comes to DEs it'll always be a question of preference

>In case you wonder if kernels built with clang are actually used on
>real systems, the answer is 'yes': Google Pixel 2 phones ship with
>a v4.4 kernel built with clang, for several Chromebooks (both x86
>and arm64) clang built kernels (also v4.4) are currently distributed
>through the 'beta' channel and will be deployed to most users of these
>devices in December.
lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/22/943

Nothing.
I keep a few things in my ownCloud thou.

Things are moving faster and faster towards the "open source, permissive license" hell.
I for one ready for the year of GNU/Hurd desktop.

Can I get a redpill on what systemd is?

Whole class got an earful of anger from the systems lecturer today about it.

Wasn't part of the class work, he just went off on one so he made no sense.

Autism on both sides.

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/405783/why-does-man-print-gimme-gimme-gimme-at-0030

I've installed xubuntu 17.10 on my notebook but everytime I try to boot it, it shows a blinking dash and nothing happens... What can I do?

in grub select the ubuntu line, press e, find the line that starts with "linux" and remove "splash silent" from it and add "nosplash verbose" to it then press F10.
Now you get a verbose text boot, check where it stops.

>silent
Isn't it "quiet"?

it's "silent" in the kernel parameters IIRC. One can try using both, nothing wrong will happen.

Thanks. I will try this afternoon and reply back if I cannot get things to work

top kek, the package maintainer is a real madman :DDDD

Tried again and even grub isn't showing... The blinking dash appears before grub and makes everything useless

well shit
Grab supergrub2 and make a bootable flashdrive with it and use it to boot. It should autodetect your gnu+linux installation and let you boot it. After the boot you should be able to repair grub from within.

>tfw work forces you to use non-free software

how do I escape this hell?

Anyone know if Lumina DE is fully GPU-accelerated and composited in the way that KDE is? (Since it uses Qt)

I don't know if it's fully GPU-accelerated or not, but the manual alludes to GPU acceleration a lot. It can also use Compton in lieu of that.

Have you tried using your search engine to get an answer?
Oh wait no you didn't, you're yet another sperg who thinks it's hilarious to start a shitstorm

Fuck off

I've resolved... The grub installer automatically installed itself on the other disk because shit happened... I've changed the boot order and now it works!
Thanks again!

>The grub installer automatically installed itself on the other disk because shit happened
kek
#justgrubthings

Where are the patches?

Any way to enable saving pictures from Firefox by using drag and drop? Google was no help.

I'm using xfce/Thunar on Manjaro.

That's interesting, I think I had such a problem in the past too but didn't manage to solve it.

Don't run Linucks on your Compyeters boiz

It honestly is funny. It also, as far as I can tell, only does it when you enter "man" with no arguments, which normally gives the regular error of "What manual page do you want?"

I recently switched to Linux for my primary OS but I still kept my Windows partition for stuff. So after using Linux a couple of hours and accessing data from the Windows NTFS partitions I decided to check something in Windows 7. It work snot but I had to sit through a startup repair session. Does anyone know what causes this issue ?

install gentoo

hardware clock maybe. lunatix and currysoft treat the issue differently.

also windows has a hard time accomodating other operating systems on the same drive

Windows probably downloaded a minor update when you powered down to install Gentoo

Did you try rebooting your device?

I have an old Thinkpad with a dead battery plugged in and running as a server

379 days of uptime and then I wake up this morning to find the power had gone out

Thanksgiving is ruined

neat trick with the ssh login with only the username, didn't know you could do that

I feel you. Got about 500days till some fag stepped on the cable and pulled the plug without me noticing.

It's the hostname

The power outage also reset my torrent ratios/uploaded stats. My life is fucking ruined. I had some torrents going for over two years.

>system famous for no needs to reboot
>program(d) appears, feature: faster boot times
???

Doily rember that you are excluding a lot of linux distributions from the thread by naming it that

why didn't you plan for power outages?

this is a GNU/Linux thread
Non-GNU Linux distros can have their own thread.

They dont give a shit, despite /FLT/ being here for 2 years before they started their political bullshit changing the thread name.

welcome to the friendly gnu/busybox + linux thread ??

>muh obscure bullshit hardly anyone has a use for other than the bragging rights of being the ultimate contrarian for not using glibc
mkay

Installing Gentoo for the first time. I'm about halfway through, got done configuring and compiling the kernel today and going to install some extra tools and the boot loader tomorrow.

Looking forward to the reboot. Wonder how much stuff I configured correctly. Been a great experience though.

Anyone know if there's a way to get Firefox to not do this?

I'm using GNOME 3 with the Adapta-Nokto-Eta theme.
Chromium deals with this correctly - by simply not theming the buttons.

kill yourself

I'm cheap

>Chromium deals with this correctly - by simply not theming the buttons.
Chromium-based browsers don't use GTK.
Firefox does. But I do recall there was a way to make firefox use another GTK theme, you just need to look that up

I have a 4K laptop so I have Xft.dpi: 192 in Xresources, as well as GTK_SCALE somewhere else I don't remember. This works fine on its own, but sometimes I hook up to a 1080p projector (HDMI), which makes applications giant. Is there a way to switch back to dpi 96 when using 1080p?

>Chromium-based browsers don't use GTK
Um, it ran on gtk for ever and they have been working on full gtk3 support since 2011.
Currently chromium uses gtk3
bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=79722

>a lot

Name 10 currently maintained distros that don't ship with or package GNU software.

Bitmap or Truetype font for terminal?
Which is better for your eyes spending long hours programming with the light text on dark background?

What's going on when I try to install mesa-git for amdgpu and nvidia for cuda/opencl? libgl conflicts? how do I solve this?

You have to use one or the other.
If you're using nvidia you will use nvidia-libgl which conflicts, you just install nvidia-libgl

how do I install nvidia drivers without libgl? I just want my amd for display and a headless nvidia for gpgpu

You dont...

I'm confused because I thought that libglvnd was supposed to work around this issue

Thanks. Apparently this can be done by setting the GTK_THEME environment variable when running Firefox. Setting it to a light theme does make the in-site buttons and checkboxes look a lot better (though still overly large), but unfortunately it also applies the theme to the tab bar, making it look rather out of place and ugly.

calling the GNU system "Linux" is already a political act; it silences thoughts about freedom and the undermindes the actual system name and nobody benefits from it except cancerous companies

If you really want to be apolitical/neutral go with GNU/Linux. This gives both contributions equal mention.

Forgot to mention, the pic is the way it looks in Chromium, which would be preferable in Firefox as well.

Would Sup Forums, a board for the discussion of Richard Stallman and Stallman related topics really be the appropriate place for an anti-GNU thread?

bitmap
Get gohu, lemon, tewi or good old terminus.

Don't listen to him, in /fglt/ everyone is welcome since this is a friendly thread. We even have questions on Android and stuff. Not welcome:
>le toejam gommunism Sup Forums memers
Since this simply isn't friendly.

>If you really want to be apolitical/neutral go with GNU/Linux. This gives both contributions equal mention.
no, what you've done is just moved the overton window. gnu/linux is not apolitical it is political. linux is apolitical.

Looks fairly decent with the Adapta-Eta theme. At least the tab bar is still dark while the buttons are light, and the button text is readable. Still a bit on the big side, but that seems to be a global issue in GNOME, so there might be a way to fix that.

The guy you replied to, and you, are retarded; nothing is apolitical. Everything you do has consequences.

>Still a bit on the big side
Go in to your theme and change it...

>cancerous bait post in broken english
>everyone replies
newfags, newfags everywhere

Just let them argue. It's not like they'll listen to you.

you are too autistic to realise that apolitical just means the middle of the overton window

Stop lowercase posting, this isn't whatsapp.

you're the same kind of user that bitches about how greentext is for quoting only, aren't you?

fuck yes, what a cute vagoo

>you're

Request: stop using languages like Python for configuration and scripts in GNU/Linux distributions. GNU Guile is powerful and well-suited to these tasks.

denied

>Python for configuration and scripts
what, thats what the shell is for

Why do you hate freedom?

GuixSD user spotted (am I right?).
Guile!

>GuixSD user spotted
Sadly not yet. Soon!

Reminder that Linux is just the desktop version of Android.

Why would anybody want to use Crouton rather than installing and using an up-to-date GNU/Linux distro and kernel? Then again Chromebooks are pretty terrible if you want to install something other than ChromeOS. Press space to erase your OS on bootup!

you're well earned (You)

Reminder that Linux is just the mobile version of GNU.

Friendly reminder that linux is a kernel.

Memes aside, what's the kernel in Linux called?

Linux is an ecosystem of tools revolving around Linux

hurd

Found out how to do it.

/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file with:

button {
padding-top: 1px;
padding-bottom: 1px;
padding-left: 4px;
padding-right: 4px;
}