Do you agree with this?

Do you agree with this?

> enterprise website back-end
> no choice but Java and C#
Where the hell is PHP and Python.

Node.js

C++ is horribly undervalued in this infographics

you realise it's saying what to learn *first*?

Yes

There is nothing better than C / C++ to learn programming. I'm not even remotely trolling.

It teaches you everything you need to know about programming if you dive into the languages. From there you can pick up other languages and understand their nuances, why they react in certain ways and how to program around them. It is literally the foundation.

Nothing about programming for maths related applications/stats.
Shitty guide

As someone who went the java/python/c route I agree, I wish I did c first

Nobody uses Objective-C anymore, anything Apple related uses Swift nowadays.

so, which C is objectively best to start on?

I personally started with C++, then moved to C. But that's mainly because my mom bought me a book on C++ in high school and then I learned C when I studied Electrical Engineering.

Now I don't program in either at my current position, but it's been invaluable to understand the programming languages that I am using at the moment.

It's a good representation of what languages are used where, but I have a few complaints:
>"I want to learn the best way" -> instant Python
Guess what was the author's favourite language
>starting with anything other than C or C++
Which one of the two is best to start with is debatable, although I would argue for C++ (it might be shit for making huge maintainable projects, but you can't argue that it does provide a lot of QoL improvements over C, while still being a superset of C and thus providing you with much of the same freedom). You do need some sort of guide to nudge you into best practices, though.

Like, why would you ever learn to program using Objective-C or PHP?

>Objective C
Into the trash it goes . This infographic is old, before the whole "make everything with js".

>Like, why would you ever learn to program using Objective-C or PHP?
Unironically , most of the web is written in php by far , just like this mongolian basket weaving forum

>Unironically , most of the web is written in php by far ,
No shit? What does that have to do with what I said?

Gee , maybe If I learn this popular language which is used everywhere and the top most requested freelance skill , maybe I'll have a good shot at getting a job/money , not sure though , may be wrong.

Gee, maybe, or maybe you'll have a horrible time, hate your job, writte horribly shitty code because you have no understanding of the fundamentals, and stay a pajeet-tier codemonkey making $20k all your life because you'll be ingrained in your ways and incapable of learning anything new

Seriously, first of all, even if it's your aspiration to be a PHP dev all your life, you would benefit from the different perspective other languages bring. PHP itself is a bit of a clusterfuck, so it's really not the best language to draw your paradigms and way of thinking from.

And secondly, in this day and age you're very likely to end up using multiple languages. Or at the very least, having a varied skillset will be very advantageous when searching for a job.

YAAAAAAWWWWWN!

This is a stupid infographic. You should simply learn as many as you can. Ideally you should start learning with a language that is based on C so that you have a strong foundation of understanding.

I started with C#.

learn scheme then move on to some oop like c++. this gives you a solid foundation as well as showing you different practices. Learn scripting such as lua on the side.

Soyboy jobs

no. javascript is absolute trash tier.

That's true , you can "program" in php without knowing what you're doing. PHP needs to be left to die.

If you want a job , the fastest and most safe bet is probably javascript , you can do a lot a stuff with it and it's very demanded in freelance.

Want to actually learn programming ? Go for c and some general cs knowledge , the Crash Course computer science videos is imo an enjoyable way to learn the more general stuff, there are multiple choices to learn programming fundamentals from on the internet,preferably books like Programming in C (4th Edition) - Stephen Kochan (2014)

Want to learn programming without knowing how low level stuff work ? Python.

Denying js means denying the web.

> you can "program" in php without knowing what you're doing. PHP needs to be left to die.
I can program in C without knowing what I do (I seriously googled every question on SO, from "how do I print a string C" to "How to write to a file C"). That does not mean C should be left to die.

My version. Do you want to be a shot programmer. If no, C. If yes, any other language but especially python

No, it's to much Python fanboyism in there..

Probably C, C++ is just monsterously huge so I wouldn't really recomend it for a very first language. Where as C is a fairly small langauge becasue it is low level.

everevere change pithzon->perl and Jaca -> C# and C++ -> C/C#

did u just endource c#

Java dont have massives of structures

>.jpg.png

>What do you think of Micro$oft?
>not bad = java
>suck = java

no.
why:
python is shit never learn it
php is shit never learn it
c++ is shit dont learn it first
java is shit
objective c is shit and swift is the new meme

learn c & lisp, fuck you

More like overvalued. You don't need C++ to make sophisticated 3D Games anymore. Not unless you're a multi-billion dollar AAA company making cutting-edge graphics that look like shit compared to a stylish indie game.

However you do need C++ to make the engines that allow people to make sophisticated 3D games without C++.

What do I learn if I want to work for the military industries? Say, make guidance systems for Ratheon or something.

Copy. Will do.
Can I learn Ruby for doing web stuff or should I just return my library book?

OpenGL is written in C.

You don't need any more of an "engine" than that and a wrapper for it (which is probably also written in C).

ruby on rails is dying. ruby itself is considered harmful but really idk search for your own answer instead of listening to a cat-v cuck on Sup Forums

Rails is dying , all you need to get into web is js .

OK. I will read my SICP and do the accompanying video lecture series.
For my transfer degree I am required to do one quarter of C and/or Java.

>no Go or C# even mentioned

C# is mentioned you blind fool

Question for the smart people itt.
How do I program in Lisp/Scheme?
Do I need some sort of interpreter?
Google was not very helpful.

>SICP
I'm afraid you already lost user, the memes compelled you , rip

There is C# and Go is not worth mentioning

R I P
I
P

C# is an intentionally simplified language. I would suggest avoiding it.

use notepad, rename the extension from .txt to .exe and double click

try CLISP for Common Lisp.
I'd recommend Land of Lisp over SICP for a beginner. That book is pretty fun

>objectively best to start on
HolyC

>effective shorthand is simplification
C++ niggers just mad that our shorthand doesn't look like perl vomited all over them.

I don't even like C++.

Yes, that's what high level languages do , they abstract , ever heard of Python ? Heard you could run pseudocode in it.

Yes, but not all high level languages deliberately limit their expressiveness like C# does.

Then stop repeating what some ass-blasted irrelevants told you. Minimizing the amount of code needed to do common things is not the same as these () obvious lies you're repeating.

C# is basically just Java with a better library and cleaner grammar, but you're pretty much forced to deal with Microsoft and really shouldn't be using it to make programs intended to run on anything other than Microsoft products.

Do you deny that e.g. Haskell is more expressive than C#?

This is a dumb chart, a beginner should learn the fundamentals of programming first such as data structures, boolean logic, and loops. The syntax of each language is trivial to learn once you have been programming for a while. Starting out with something complex and hard to understand such as the C family or even Java would be daunting to a new programmer. It would be better for them to start with a minimalist interpreted language like python or lua.

>throwing python at everything other than the well established obvious choices for platforms

MS uses C#
Lots of Java jobs
Php is "old"

Then there's tons of mistakes like Google and fb using python and iOS needing C.

Well... what else would you expect from a graphic designer.

>Go is not worth mentioning
>Python recommended in most cases

Is this what old people believe? Python is a toy language with a horrible, fractured community and package system. It's dated af

whoever made this chart gets cucked by BBC

Python -> Fortran -> Octave here

You should learn Fortran as a first language, since it is the most prettiest and yet deepest language. It is easy to learn and yet hard to master

> C# only applicable if you're either a fan of Microsoft, or want to work for Microsoft.

I'm neither and I still like C# because it's simply an infinitely less shitty Java. This infographic is shit.

I'd say C# is about 0.6x as shitty as Java.

>Python as a default/starting language
Is it bait?

I'd start with C; in that case you need to reeeaalllly know how shit works or else something is gonna go really terribly wrong.

>what is the mono project
>what is .NET Std 2.0
the future is now

No, the idea is that people new to it will get too frustrated with something low level like C, so they recommend Python just to teach basics like booleans and shit since the syntax might as well be pseudocode.

Would Sup Forums reccomend my first language be C or C++? I'm leaning more towards C since it's smaller and can be used as kind of a base for C++ but would like other opinions.

>Would Sup Forums reccomend my first language be C or C++?
No.