How can you make Linux more 'comfortable' ?

How can you make Linux more 'comfortable' ?
I have been using debian only by terminal, for a server but I want to use it as my main OS.
So I'm quite new in the linux desktop..

some things:
I have downloaded firefox... but do I have to reinstall it manually every fucking time there is an update?
also, why the fuck is the gui so messy? (borders, font rendering, transparency)
I don't like also that menu on the left.

what did you do to your distro for making it more usable?

>inb4 install gentoo

I'm alright here so i assume it's your graphics drivers. did you install them?

noob here, I used larbs.xyz dotfiles with antergos and it gives a pretty comfy base to play around and learn + it's not bloated

I don't think that's the problem

also I find pretty annoying that I cannot get permission on an open window, but I have to close it and restart with the permission

You are probably better using Ubuntu LTS. That version give attention to little details.

Font rendering is probably cuz subpixel rendering is patented. idk why but ubuntu uses it anyway.

>I have downloaded firefox... but do I have to reinstall it manually every fucking time there is an update?
As of debian stretch (the current stable) debranded forks of firefox and thunderbird (iceweasel and icedove) were replaced by the standard ones.

>also, why the fuck is the gui so messy? (borders, font rendering, transparency)
>I don't like also that menu on the left.
no idea what you're talking about.

>what did you do to your distro for making it more usable?
- Reinstated sysv
- Installed fluxbox

>I have downloaded firefox... but do I have to reinstall it manually every fucking time there is an update?
No. Run sudo apt update and it will update the package list. If there are updates available, you can install them with sudo apt upgrade.
If you're on Debian Stable, you can even activate automatic updates so everything is updated without user input at all. Read the Debian Wiki for more information.
If you're using Debian Testing or Debian Unstable, then you shouldn't activate automatic updates since they could break your packages. Just update manually and be careful in that case.
>also, why the fuck is the gui so messy? (borders, font rendering, transparency)
I guess you're using GNOME. Can you provide a screenshot of what you're talking about? Sounds like a driver problem. Are you using free drivers? What GPU are you using?
Try to log out, and then click on the little gear. Select "GNOME X Session" or "Legacy" or whatever the fuck it's called. Maybe that will solve your problems.
If you dislike GNOME, you can uninstall it (duck it online. It's a little bit complicated) and install a different desktop environment. KDE, and Cinnamon may be more of your liking.

Now it's a bit better but the window action button are shitty, and that left menu doesn't display the firefox icon

I don't see anything weird in that image. As I said, it might be Wayland misbehaving with your driver. Try the X session.
KDE and Cinnamon are more like Windows in the way they work, if that's what you want.
Are you using the root account to run Firefox? Or worse: are you logging in as root? That is extremely dangerous. You should never, EVER, log in as root for daily use nor run programs that don't need root access as root.
You should create a regular user and use that. If you need root access, just install sudo and use "sudo [command]" read the Debian Wiki for information on how to enable a regular user to use the sudo command.
Another tip: install the gufw. It's a pretty good firewall.

Those are handled by the GTK and icon themes. You can download them from gnome-look.org.
Uncompress them, and copy the uncompressed folders into ~/.themes and ~/.icons respectively.
You may need to install gnomes-tweak-tool package to change the gtk and icon theme.

Linux != GNU/Linux

Nooo I never use the root account, I know how linux system works, I run a server :P

I'll take a look, thank you

I just use linux mint as desktop.
Install > driver manager > Voila you have fully functional OS in less than 1 hour

>do I have to reinstall it manually every time there is an update
No, Debian has something called a package manager that handles all of your system-wide updates for you. All you have to do is run one command in the terminal maybe once a week, once a month, or whenever you're in the mood.

>why is the gui so messy?
You gotta be more specific, what desktop are you using? Newbies are surprised to learn that a desktop environment is actually just another piece of software. The desktop you are using is not "Debian," as there is no "Debian desktop environment." And just like any other piece of software, you can install a different one if you don't like the default one.

lol, you never wondered why gnutards give away their shit for free and still can't compete vs. commercial software that is sold for $100+? here's your answer: gnutards are developers who were too shitty to get a comfy job at a real software company and their products suck

It comes installed OOTB retard. What are you even doing?
lrn2english Pajeet

>No. Run sudo apt update and it will update the package list. If there are updates available, you can install them with sudo apt upgrade.
But apt is stuck on version 52. I want the latest version

>I want the latest version
says the silly person

apt is not "stuck", Debian by default uses the ESR release which is supported for a year.
If you want the latest release, duck for "Mozilla apt team." They have a semi-official repository with the latest Release and Beta versions.
Sadly, Debian Stable does not have FF past ESR yet since Rust is not in Debian repositories. This shouldn't be a problem if you're on Debian Testing or Debian Unstable, though.
If you're on Stable, you can download a tarball from Mozilla's FTP, decompress it and then create a menu entry pointing to the binary. IIRC, that binary will update itself automatically just like the Tor binary does.

Running Debian with XFCE and the XFCE window managers (XFWM) is great, There is a package that comes with good WM themes. Also use Compton compositor.

Devuan > Debian

How outdated is Devuan compared to Debian Stable?

It's a version behind the latest stable so it has really ancient packages

Devuan Stable (Jessie) uses the same packages as Debian Oldstable (Jessie).
Devuan Testing (Ascii) uses the same packages as Debian Stable (Stretch).
Devuan Unstable (Ceres) uses the same packages as Debian Unstable (Buster).
Beware that Devuan Testing and Devuan Unstable are beta versions and haven't recompiled a lot of packages from Debian yet, so some packages will try to install systemd on your machine.

Extremely. They still use an initialization system that's based on polling shit instead of triggered by events. Basically they're stuck in concepts that were already obsolete by the turn of the century.

>You should never, EVER, log in as root for daily use
I like to run as root. fight meh