C# or Java

I'm currently a britbong PHP web developer. I'm considering applying for a job in the financial industry because it pays more. It also seems to have less mouth breathing idiots compared to PHP/Python/JavaScript.

I am having difficulty choosing between focusing on C# and ASP.NET or Java and Spring MVC.

I've heard there's more C# and ASP.NET jobs and that they pay better. I've also heard that C# and ASP.NET hasn't been infiltrated by pajeets as much as Java has.

Would you choose to focus on C# and ASP.NET or Java and Spring MVC if you were thinking about applying for UK financial developer jobs?

Am I making a mistake? Oh and I'm not smart enough to master C++.

Other urls found in this thread:

webassembly.org/docs/c-and-c /
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>not smart enough to master C++.
I doubt that. If true you'll suck at C# and Java too.

I'd use .net.

C# is a much nicer language than Java and there are much fewer pajeets. They all rave about Java. Worship it.

Okay, good point. I guess I could probably become competent in C++ if I tried hard enough. I thought focusing on C# or Java would yield more job opportunities as there are web development jobs (which means I don't lose as much of my experience) for those languages. I've never heard of C++ being used seriously for web development?

Thanks, that confirms what I've heard.

I learned Java in school, but use C# asp net for work. C# and Java are so similar that it would be easy to switch between them. I would reccomend C# though, I think it is a better language and with .NET Core you have your portability. Java feels older and not as nice to use imo

I still suggest you take a look at both. This is quite a big decision, after all.
I do find spring less weird than ASP.net, but that's probably because I'm so used to symfony and doctrine.

C# a shit

Java unless you like to suck microsoft cock

In terms of the language or jobs?

I've heard Java is dying and being swamped with pajeets though. I do prefer the Linux way of things. Are most Java and Spring MVC web applications served from Linux or Microsoft servers?

My nigger...

You're looking at this wrongly. You don't pick the technology and then look for the job. You look for the job then pick the technology. Talk to tech recruiters and tell them you want to break into finance in 6 months and you need to know the popular tech stack of banks. Then they'll just tell you.

It's COBOL.

>java dying

yeah but in the next 40 years

Learn both

You are a shit. Fuck off.

I'll give you a best advice you can get on this board. NEVER EVER ASK Sup Forums FOR AN ADVICE. And if you do make it only ironically. Never ever do a serious life decision based on the posts written on this site. No matter how serious they appear to be don't do that. Use your own brain make your own research do your own decision and if you really need an advice ask for it somewhere else never do that on Sup Forums. Never. EVER.

So what you're saying is I shouldn't follow your advice?

>I've never heard of C++ being used seriously for web development?
wat

>jobs

pick whatever pays more. in either case your tooling is paid for you anyhow.

for free as in freedom though and personal stuff, I'd rather use languages with fully free tooling, like java. It's the same reason I refuse to give a single shit about muh nextgen kotlin or google's stupid dart-lang.

C# is still a lot of M$ nonfree and as far as I know only nonfree M$ IDEs make using it worthwhile.

Anyone knows what it means when it says "Experience: Associate" on LinkedIn?

(I'm not a native English speaker btw)

I smell Pajeet.

It means they have a 2-year college degree. The first one you get after high school.

C#'s a nicer language in terms of the actual language, but there's something fundamentally retarded and distinctly Microsoft about taking a language (Java) that is designed around intentionally abstracting internal architecture out of the Programmer's view so that it can run anywhere that implements a virtual machine for it and then making it so that the language runtime is only officially supported on one brand of operating systems.

Do you care about freedom, support for more platforms?
Then use Java(it still has some things that might reduce your freedom).

Are you going to mainly use windows and just want the job to be done?
Then use C# because it is more comfortable than Java.
Some things also work on other platforms(GNU/Linux).

I am developing in C# for about 5 years now and about 3 years Java.

C# is way more comfy than Java and I would recommend it to everyone who is not concerned about microsoft.

if you're not writing kernel modules and drivers you're a subhuman.

fucking code monkeys thinking that they're smart. fuck off amateur

yeah, and COBOL makes your brain rot if you have even a small trace of love for programming

Don't listen to the Microsoft shills. If you want jobs avoid .NEET at all costs.

>I've heard Java is dying

But it’s not and has not been for the last 2 years.

Jabba has shitton of production ready frameworks and libraries made by big players. C# has more syntactic sugar than Java (Java community is working tirelessly to improve it tho). Performance of JVM and "dot net JVM :^)" is almost the same tho.

ALSO PSA:
Don't permanently damage your brain with Java EE. Use Spring Boot

Call me stubborn, but it's going to take more than 2 years for me to trust .NET Core to have ANY level of compatibility with a truly wider range of computers. I'm sure it works fine on Ubuntu today, but if I want multi-platform compatibility I'll just deal with manual Iterators in Java.

webassembly.org/docs/c-and-c /

well maybe it will be at some point; but only for specific things.

Ruby/on rails

Can we please ban this art "style" forever?

this

I won't give my opinion on Java vs C# but

DO
NOT
ASK
Sup Forums
FOR
CAREER ADVICE

DONT

OP you have to understand that less than 1% of Sup Forums actually work as professional software engineers. You're talking to nerds in their first year of college thinking they're hot shit because they just finished their functional programming course

Gather your facts somewhere else when it comes to ACTUAL enterprise software development

>ACTUAL enterprise software development
you mean gluing frameworks and libraries together?

Exactly