Why is systemd a botnet if it is open source?

Why is systemd a botnet if it is open source?

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
jdebp.eu/FGA/run-scripts-and-service-units-side-by-side.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Some people don't like it == botnet.

You must be new here.

It's still open source if they're open about it being botnet.

This.

What is this fucking "systemd" people keep going on about? Is it like WebMD or something?

A bloated Linux init system develop by red hats employee named poettering (and team). Also Google is your friend

because if you fuck with its settings and delete some defaults the DNS points to a google address I guess

Because it's a huge vulnerability.

It's not a botnet, user. It's a bag of obfuscated exploits that runs as root.

It takes away the modularity of many core functions and is trying to become a second kernel in and of itself, and isn't particularly well written. The hate for it is very justified

B I N A R Y
I
N
A
R
Y

L O G S
O
G
S

This.

Instead of throwing an error when using faulty DNS config it will silently default to Google and expose all your queries.

this is really infuriating and retarded
wtf they were thinking?

because "i can always look at the code and make sure it does what it says" is a fucking meme and no one does the work.

>In 2017, he received the Pwnie Award for Lamest Vendor Response.

>The Pwnie Awards recognize both excellence and incompetence in the field of information security. Winners are selected by a committee of security industry professionals from nominations collected from the information security community.
Lennart BTFO

They were thinking about hiding the evidence.

Scalability™

What does everyone always talk about how much it sucks but never about the alternatives? What is a Sup Forums recommended alternative?

OPENRC YOU TOOL

>Hard dependency for the two major desktop environments
>As a result, almost all the major linux distributions have adopted it as default
Unless you are a filthy weeb ricer, there's nothing to do but complain [spoiler]and take it in the ass[/spoiler]

Install gentoo

I don't know about the best but I'm a long time Debian user which used sysv and I simply reverted back to that. Works fine.

i don't give a fuck

systemd units are a godsend

enjoy your init.d script clusterfuck

I've seen this claim several times, and I still don't understand whats the fucking deal with the units. What's the advantage? Most of the times they just call a shell script with a set of arguments and that's it.

I prefer scripts that literally execute its content over descriptive unit files parsed by a undebugable clusterfuck any day.

Because it's too big to maintain.

Open source mean jack shit when there is so much code to review, that you can just insert backdoors which look like bugs: Even if some are found, some remain.

SystemD = RedHat = NSA

Also it's not only about security, it's about a lot of things. Too many to list them all:
>without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Sorry, wrong link:

>without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

>RedHat = NSA
with this logic every US company is NSA, also I don't remember they being part of prism
we should just stop using clapware

Didn't the Red Hat = NSA meme start with that piece of shit called SELinux?

> Google is your friend
Do you have any idea how much harm that sentence has done?

Just look your own picture kek
>bloated at
>do things what a init system shouldn't do
>too complex
>hardcoded jewgle dns
>make a lot of things dependent to it

It's like jewgle gapps for linux

because it's fucking huge and bloated

600k FUCKING LINES !!

What's wrong with SELinux?

systemd is big like my dick but it also stinks like my dick but some people love it like my dick

/!\ SYSTEMD ISN'T AN INIT SYSTEM
ITS A SYSTEM UTILITY SUITE
IT IS HERE TO STAY
YOU'RE FREE TO USE PARABOLA/LINUX-LIBRE IF YOU'RE SO OBSESSED (BUT YOU CAN'T CAUSE YOU'RE A NOOB) /!\

>using old, unfunny Sup Forums memes
You need to go back.

How do I get systemd off fedora

First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.
Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.
The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.
All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.
There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.
I have no desire to be a low level system designer, so I prefer systemd. I don't hate traditional init systems though. If a Linux system has one and I need to work with it, I'm still happy it boots and starts the necessary services.

install openbsd

this, honestly. I wouldn't have such a big problem with systemd *if the devs weren't so rude when someone brings bugs/exploits/requests to their attention!* Especially Poettering

there are some alternatives, and linux already existed before systemd (in case you didnt know)

Doesn't work on an apple laptop

next time dont cuck yourself

poettering wants to be torvalds. he demands respect, but hasn't earned it. that, and he's a fucking kraut.

It's a major update to the gnu+system so of course it's the target of a concerted FUD campaign by the enemies of freedom. The most disturbing thing about it is the number of useful idiots who've jumped on board this time around.

Oh, fuck this makes too much sense.

The message is “look it up on a search engine” but yes, too many people love Goolag even though in a just world, Goolag’s CEO would be nervewracked about pissing off the volatile user base who, if he dares to employ telemetry, would run him out of town on a rail.

>enemies of freedom
You do realize that none of the alternatives to systemd are proprietary, right?

I doubt if the lights at openrc are staying on all night while the boys think of derp to shitpost on Sup Forums

Gnome and only Gnome

systemd the init system does not provide anything of value over already existing init systems
The "init shell scripts are too old/complicated/bad" argument is bullshit, since most of the new unit files just call a shell script to start the services
I've encountered pretty annoying bugs in other pieces of systemd which are extremely hard to pinpoint
Since it's "tightly coupled" with other components and has absorbed a few important projects useful for desktop environments, so it's become prevalent in all major distributions

tl;dr: there's reasons not to like it, why the fuck do you guys get so triggered? You people act like hambeasts when they're suggested to lose some weight...

One of the greatest strengths of GNU/Linux has been the fact that a wide variety of passionate developers have built tools to scratch their own itch and distros bring these tools together to form a good system allowing different distros to pick different sets of tools based on user needs. Systemd takes a very corporate approach of shoving everything into one umbrella and leaves people who want tools with different features or designs fucked.

>The "init shell scripts are too old/complicated/bad" argument is bullshit
Indeed. Also, just because sysvinit scripts may have been like that, doesn't mean that systemd is the only solution.
jdebp.eu/FGA/run-scripts-and-service-units-side-by-side.html

>too big to audit
>constantly changing
>pings google
>developers are extreme assholes
>redhat and the NSA sponsor its development
>more lines of code than an entire OpenBSD default install
If Lennart freezes it for say two years, allowing no changes, while independent auditors perform a complete and total examination of the whole thing we might be able to claim it's not a botnet. As it is, it is 100% botnet and the security bugs "accidentally" left in are a huge tell.

>2017
>not runit