/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/MQL9f8
frys.com/search?query_string=8989223&nearbyStoreName=false&site=site=120web112317
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/hJN6TH
theverge.com/2017/11/6/16612048/intel-amd-partnership-nvidia-laptop-chip
m.youtube.com/watch?v=d1nsEJsZjas
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145043
pcpartpicker.com/list/Ns7RZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/bZ3qcc
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025172
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bkXRZ8
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YLYNRG
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Rcxg8K
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pcpartpicker.com/list/MQL9f8

Budget is about $800, could go maybe 50 dollars higher at most. For gaming

Any black friday ssd deals on amazon?

frys.com/search?query_string=8989223&nearbyStoreName=false&site=site=120web112317

IS THIS A GOOD DEAL AT $197?!?!?

4k monitor.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/hJN6TH
How'd I go?

WD Blue 64MB 4TB or Seagate 256MB 4TB?
Only going to store my anime on it, they cost about the same.

>Vega LC @ 649USD
Should I?

There's a WD Black 256GB ssd on sale for ~$100, is it worth waiting to see if there will be lower prices on m.2 nvme drives or will other drive's prices not fall much?

Seagate

>buying a mobo for a Ryzen 5 is a fucking lottery to hope you get one with updated BIOS that supports the CPU

What the fuck is this bullshit?
Are there ANY boards that are guaranteed to support Ryzen 5?

Is M.2 vs SATA SSD worth it?

I grabbed a pro4 and my r5 worked in it. You could also not be braindead and read some of the reviews.

I'm thinking about buying a 270R, but is there any reason to get the windowed version if I'm not interested in looking at my hardware while it's running?

4K would be utterly unusable at 24" without scaling, at which point you have a shitty-looking desktop that's worse than native 1080p whilst also needing a 1080 Ti to drive your games.

Sounds like bullshit to me. I bought a 1600 with an X370 Gaming Pro recently and it came with a BIOS from March on it, before the 1600's release. Still worked fine.

No, unless you have no space for the 2.5" drive or like throttling. Even NVMe is pointless for 99.9% of people, since you don't have any way of transferring data to it that fast unless you have two of them or a very specific application in mind. You're not going to notice any difference on the desktop or in muh games.

Thanks, I'll get a 500 SATA instead of the 250 M.2 since they're about the same price

was thinking about getting pic related. for $187 USD it seems like a steal.

my budget is $250, gonna be primarily gaming. looking to upgrade to a 144hz monitor. sticking with 1080p for now. i have a 1070 btw

Thoughts on this build? I mainly want to know if I need more fans for the case.

Should I grab some part warranties in case of an electric spike?
Or will a surge protector and an okay PSU be enough?

Some of my parts aren't covered by power surges in the manu warranty.

I can't decide

Ryzen 5 1600X or
Ryzen 7 1800X

I have full disk encryption on everything, but this time I'll get a PCIe SSD and I worry that it will keep a 6-core Ryzen quite busy

The good news is that Ryzen does very well in synthetic encryption benchmarks. I will also get 3000 MHz or faster RAM, which should help

How much cheaper can I expect a 1070 to become in a month? Two?

I've seen this but is Acer a decent brand? I have an ASUS and am livid I missed theirs for $169

Dell 1440p Gsyncs are on sale but not sure whether to grab the 24'' or 27'' version.

Anyone have insight as to how the 24'' looks with the higher pixel density and resolution? I've heard that 27'' is better fro 1440p but I've got no experience with these higher resolution monitors

Do you two need an HDD right away? If not, I'd suggest putting the money towards a bigger SSD instead. I think 500GB is a good size.
Otherwise your builds look fine to me. (Assuming you checked for RAM and mobo compatibility.)

>1600 and pro 4 are on sale
>decent ddr4 suddenly costs almost as much the 1600 itself
the fuck is this meme

Consider a UPS

Ryzen ~ 5 billion transistors
DRAM ~ 1 transistor per bit
Do the math

Unfortunately those are a little out of my budget at the moment.

UntiI can get one I was wondering on temporary, but good solution. Would the surge protector be that good temp problem solver?

in most of the places any current deals on parts for pc builds are automatically invalidated by ram prices. might as well buy a console.

>suddenly

I thought bits were stored in capacitors.

not letting you fucks meme me into buying an ssd lmao

>60

We're both right
one transistor and a capacitor are required per bit

>there's a local RAM manufacturer in my country
>"this will keep the prices from going up"
>NOPE.jpg
>$100-$500 for a single DDR4 stick
This should be illegal at this point.

>sir we can't produce enough ram like this
>shall we improve our production processes and innovate in-
>nah bruh fuck it just triple the price, they'll get used to it

Is Acer decent for monitors?

find an 1800X on sale.

rate my build

Depends on your use case.

I think Intel's too big to really fail but they might in the up coming years lose a lot.
AMD is jacking the servers market already. They have their claws around consoles and their apus for cellphones looks to be the next big thing. They've really jumped up out of nowhere. All that pressure was good for them and Intel getting a beat down will push them to where they were before they started playing the industry. They just got too big for their own good.
but surprisingly after a decade or so since they screwed AMD by abandoning them in a partnership and leaving Amd to foot the bill on some big project(can't remember)
They've decided to put that in the past and are teaming up to produce
theverge.com/2017/11/6/16612048/intel-amd-partnership-nvidia-laptop-chip
>Rivals Intel and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) areteaming up to producea laptop computer chip that uses an Intel processor and an AMD graphics unit. The partnership will pit the two companies against competitor Nvidia. The new chip will be made for laptops that are designed to be thin and portable, but still powerful enough for gamers who need a stronger option to play intensive games. It’ll be part
Intel’s eighth-generation Intel Core line and marks Intel and AMD’sfirst partnership since the 1980s, asThe Wall Street Journalnotes.
There partnership gonna make big changes which is pretty neat.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=d1nsEJsZjas
Thanks to AMD we can finally begin to move forward. If they end up becoming a monopoly, which I doubt, they might end up like Intel. It probably inevitable because once you start making insane profits you end up with these CEOs which only care about fleecing the consumer as much as they can for the shareholders. But that's the free market for you.

workstation is in the filename

I'd spend a bit less on the cooler and get a X370 motherboard.

here, changed the SSD+HDD for a higher capacity SSD. I guess you're right I could always buy an HDD down the line.

Any other feedback on this build? I'd like to buy within the next day or 2 but I'm still a bit unsure

Anyone got a Samsung CF24G70? Is the screen curve as bad as it seems?

GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145043

this looks like a pretty good deal, no? is it a pain in the ass to get the rebates?

pcpartpicker.com/list/Ns7RZ8
upgrading my current pc; does this look ok?

rebates are usually structured to be as annoying as possible so less people fill them out

do your own research on the case,
if you didn't pick the mobo for a reason, do some research on that as well
if you have, go ahead and buy it all

Soon™

>workstation
>buys a gaming board

i wont ever need more than one GPU so the b350 works fine for me
thats just the name of the mobo, it offers all i need for a cheaper price (M.2 slot, an SSD and HDD)

other than the name, whats wrong with the mobo?

if you launch any productivity application your motherboard will shut down, you have to buy a separate server motherboard if you want to do work shit, user

Will an 8GB Radeon 580 work well with 2560x1440 resolution?

I can't find a good price on Vega 56, and I would like the Freesync feature.

Hmmmmm, all Im going to do is compile code, render an occasional video, and some photo editing. You really think the mobo wouldn't handle that?

So, back once again, trying to collect as much intformation and conjecture before knuckling down and picking what I end up going with.

Here's what I'm pulling out.
>intel pentium G4560
>gigabyte ga b250 dsh3
>seasonic 520 bronze

going to be putting in their places
>amd r5 1600
>Gigabyte ga x370 gaming k5
>Rosewill 550 platinum

pcpartpicker.com/list/bZ3qcc

Things I couldn't quite do right on PCParpicker:
>case is a corsair spec -02
>pci-e wireless is a fenvi 802.11a/b/g/n card

Next on my list is to upgrade my GPU.
I've got one suggestion to just crossfire two rx560s. (aware that crossfire isn't supported on everything)
A couple suggestions to upgrade to an rx580
and one suggestion to jump all the way up to Vega.

I'm leaning in the direction of the 580 right now, however I'm contemplating holding off and seeing if prices drop at some point and just chug along with the 560 for the time being.

What RAM do you use?

yeah when you open up a renderer or something like that, your motherboard immediately shuts down because it's a gaming motherboard

epic shitpost

for a GTX 1050 Ti 4Gb, KFA2 or Gigabyte?

nice meme

Is this a good 4K monitor?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025172

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's VA instead of IPS, and I really want a 4K monitor for high resolution shitposting.

>>G4560/G4600

I have a 4790k running at 4.4ghz and I just bought a 1080 to go with it, specifically an Asus ROG Strix since it was a pretty decent deal ($509 after rebate and a copy of Destiny 2 included). How big a mistake did I make?

First time building a PC from scratch so forgive my ignorance. I will be buying most of the components on Black Friday, and I could use some final advice. My budget is about 700€. I won't be using it for gaming, but for general browsing, web dev, watching movies, and occasional video editing. I was thinking of getting IntelCore i5 7400 with the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Could I save some money on the graphic card if I'm not gaming everyday or am I going to be needing it for video rendering, the occasional game, etc? Also, is 8GB of DDR4 RAM enough?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bkXRZ8

First time build. Finally have money and want something that can do ultra no matter what. What do you think?

bought gigabyte yesterday because of the semi-passive fans. love it

No idea about fitting into your budget but I'd shoot for a Ryzen processor. Budget GeForce cards are great though

If you're going to be doing any video editing, get an i7. Editing is heavily CPU intensive, you'll get a big benefit out of the extra cores and hyper threading. If you go 7700k with a 1050ti you should be good.

VA is no worse than IPS. They both have their own set of benefits and drawbacks. The monitor's probably okay, so long as you're not expecting too much.

>unironically recommending the 7700K in November 2017

He could get a 1600 or even 1700 setup for less and be far better off for video editing.

The fuck? Clearly gaming isn't his priority if he's getting 1050ti, in which case Ryzen is much better suited for productivty. I'd say a Ryzen 1600(x), maybe a 1700 if you want. Should be doable within your budget.

Exactly

Are RAM prices expected to drop in the next 2-3 months or should I buy now, even if I'm not gonna use it right away?

>Powercolor Vega 64 RED DEVIL
Why can't hardwares have normal names?

> Buying fucking Winblowows 10™

Can you guys just fucking stop with this meme.
You can get Windows 10 for fucking free.
You can use that money you're thinking on an SSD instead m80.

Just delidded my 8700k lads, let's hope this fusion reactor doesn't level my whole neighbourhood and surrounding areas.

Making a htpc/seedbox. I'm going to be using spare parts from an old computer (i7 3770k and full atx mobo). I have two questions:
-Would integrated graphics be fine for playing 1080p/upscaling to 4k or should I use my old gtx970 in the build. Only reason I wouldn't put it in is power usage.
-Can anyone recommend a good case? I was going to get the Node 605 but they discontinued it and its not readily available. Mostly looking for something thats compact and has space for at least 2 HDDs.

Thanks

Is Crucial good brand for RAM? I got compatibility problem with them and when I google the same problem they all have Crucial.

I believe prices will stabilize soon and won't drop back down for at least another year according to what I've read. I'm still waiting to buy 8 more GBs but can't justify $100

Hope you have a fire extinguisher nearby mate.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YLYNRG
Want to do graphic art but I'm stuck with my 4GB 570 so I'm not sure buying a 1440p would be worth it. CPU is actually a x5650 so the TDP will be lower and CPU cooler is compatible when you order the 1366 bracket. Is Freesync absolutely needed or if I care about good colours will I be better off with a 60hz VA/IPS monitor?

For playing back video integrated graphics is fine. Can't help you with the case question.

Do I need Windows10 for RYZEN 7 1800X? I remember someone saying something about Ryzen and win 10 when they were released or am I good to go with Windows7?

Also, what Mobo would be good since I don't have an AM4 Socket mobo atm?

Freesync is only relevant for syncing frames during gaming. Not important for digital art. Get an IPS Panel for color accuracy.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Rcxg8K
I fucked up the list.

Thanks, guess I'll bite the bullet and buy 16 GB for 165 pounds.
Fucking hell these prices are godawful and it's the lowest the Corsair has been in months...

>compile a list of parts that's under my budget
>feel really good about it
>forget to account the sales tax which is about 70$

Fug

Any reason you don't want to use Windows 10?

You could always do as I did and live with 8 until prices drop, depending on your needs

Where's your list, maybe I can help

Any reason to want win10?

>compile a list of parts that's under my budget
>forgot the RAM
>spending this much I may as well up the gpu
>and the cpu so it doesn't get bottlenecked
>airflow needs to be improved to keep these cool and quiet
>add fans
>1440p will make the most out of this hardware
>27" will make the most out of 1440p
>should get g-sync as well as framerate will be very variable in AAAs at this resolution
>original budget of $2000 is now $3500
woops

I use Ubuntu so... no? But I get windows 10 for free with college, I have installed for dual boot for gaymes

Lol wtf are you buying for that kind of cash? Jesus.

Officially no version of windows other than 10 supports ryzen. Unofficially...well google exists.

still, did it require win10 or not?

You can find a better PSU with the same price like SeaSonic S12G-550.

Its Aboriginal $s and including the monitor so while high-end its not actually that extreme

>follow suggestions on the internet for a midrange ryzen build
>read that both the motherboard and the cpu are very picky about rams
>check asrock qvl
>no 2x4gb sets
>all the good quality (g.skill and corsair) ram that are present in the qvl are sets that cost as much as a third of my entire build
>the qvl of a 70 bucks mobo includes only 200+ dollarydoos ram sets.
It doesn't make any sense

I found about installing win7 but I already have it or do I have to re-install win7 when changing CPU/Mobo?

yup

I'm building a home nas, rate this plan
>lowest power usage athlon I can find (intels have become housefires)
>some cheap motherboard
>16gb DDR4, make doesn't matter I don't think
>a cheap SATA controller if needed
>used ATX-compatible server case an PSU
>dump the rest of the budget on 6tb WD reds
What could possibly go wrong?