Immortal Computers

What's the oldest running laptop you've got? Mine will turn 10 next year. No components ever replaced.

Other urls found in this thread:

support.hp.com/rs-en/product/hp-pavilion-dv6700-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/3632100/model/3650204/product-info
twitter.com/AnonBabble

A P3 Toshiba Portégé from 2000 or 2001 not sure, with docking station and everything original.
Swapped original disk for a bigger one, not sure the size.
Last time I used it regularly it was my router and pptp VPN gateway to my home LAN about 6 years ago, then I retired it but it's still working.
I wonder how fun it would be to upgrade from Debian 6 to Debian 9...

HP Jornada 510 if it counts as a laptop.

Thinkpad x60 tablet
Still running the copy of Debian I installed 9 years ago

thinkpad t61p still going strong after almost 11 years. I've owned it personally for 3 .. it's been augmented with 4gb ram.. 1 64gb ssd boot and another 250gb ssd for storage ... Just inherited the 250gb ssd recently and all my large 2.5 hdds have failed or are sub 120gb so why not i guess.. I also inherited a 500gb ssd I wanna put in my desktop to replace my 120gb ssd but i'm too lazy to reinstall windows so.. such is life

Holy moly that's mega old. How do you even keep them alive that long? Maintenance?

iBook G3. I mainly keep it around just to show younger family what computers were like in 1999. I still have mac os 8.6 installed on one of them.

>having shit this old lying around

Is this what it's like to be poor?

> tfw comp sci major
> tfw only decent jobs that fit my school schedule is restaurant jobs
> tfw line cook
I'll escape this poverty once I graduate r-right?

are* not is

The truly rich are the ones who make the richest even richer.

All my Windows laptops die quickly. My Macbook Pro is still running smoothly after 5 years, though. But for something that's not a laptop, it's my very first HP Desktop which lasted for 10 years.

Dell B130. Still working but have no real use for it.

I have a Dell latitude from 1997 which still runs fine

Toshiba Tecra M5 for 9-10 years i think

>wasting cash on new devices every year when perfectly operational devices are at your disposal
is this what it's like to be a retard?

Hmm...oldest running laptop eh? I guess if we use the definition of laptop, then the Sony Vaio C1 Picture Book (PCG-C1VN) might be the oldest running sub-notebook I own (release in Japan in 2000 and North America in 2001).

Other laptop I own follow by date.

Sony Vaio PCG-GT3K (around 2003)
Toshiba libretto U100 (around 2005)
Thinkpad X60s (around 2006)

>throwing perfectly functional devices in the trash
Is this what it's like being an apple boi?
'lmao old is trash new is good buy new all the time rofl' literally your argument

Also, these functional computers are still good at some things. Mine can still run software that came out this year, and it isn't slow at all.

Apple boi here. I keep my old ass powerbooks around just for the sake of pure love. Don't throw us together with that kind of trash.

- 3 x 2007 era dell latitude d830 with ssds are tanks and the battery is still good ( ywn know the joy of multiple spare laptop batteries )
- ti book g4
- 2011 macbook air 256 (battery is fucked)

considering getting rid of my apple stuff, all i want now is a hi end DAP and now i am settled in my new place with desktop need to get rid off some stuff, although nothing beats the MBA when you are travelling

[old photo very cheap rent and amazing view prior to demolition so dont ask]

I've never owned a laptop.

X61 Tablet.

I can't find a more comfy and portable smol device with the same 4:3 aspect ratio.

Gateway 2000.

Pentium II 300mhz
128MB RAM
Voodoo II video
6GB HDD
Windows 98
Still works. Haven't used it in a while though.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CDT with ALL the options.
If portables count I have a Compaq luggable.

> ITT, Anons bait the gods of hardware into wrecking their shit
Y'all niggers best be knocking on some wood as you post..

that's a p neat setup

Thinkpad 300 from 1992, I also have a Powerbook 5300c which works flawlessly.

Off my lawn etc

>t. paid marketing pajeet
new hardware sucks, the build quality sucks, the keyboards suck, the screens are shitty glossy panels which suck, the have suckin' fuckin' botnet CPUs, there is literally no benefit unless you're a windoze user or need muh gaymes

fucking reject you belong on reddit

before the democrats fucked everything up with lead free solder.

That was the EU with RoHS
> tfw yurop ruins everything

2009 iMac 27-inch
2011 MacBook Pro 13-inch

Why do people fall for bait so easily?

> [old photo very cheap rent and amazing view prior to demolition so dont ask]
:^(

i still use an asus k53ta as my near-always on device hooked to my tv. used it all through college, original power brick burned out and have been using a THREEBOY chineseium brick that somehow hasn't caught fire after about 2 years at 100% on. writing this post on it.

damn thing was pretty awesome for its time, like $500 for and amd llano cpu with baseclock of 1.4ghz that could overclock to 2.1ghz easy (with undervolt) and 2.4-2.8 with forced cooling mods and overvolting. it's really showing its age now though, want to wait for new desktop apus make a sff/usff thing to replace it.

I daily an HP Pavilion dv6757ca.

support.hp.com/rs-en/product/hp-pavilion-dv6700-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/3632100/model/3650204/product-info

It is about 11-12 years old. I've had to replace the hard drive, and I swapped ram modules to go to 4 gigs. It has issues with stream HD content from websites, but has no problem with full HD content from a local file.

I mostly use it to code and do light browsing. I'm sitting on a donated Asus Zen book from 3-4 years ago with a busted M-SATA drive and a slightly dinged screen. I suspect it was dropped at some point, since a standoff on the corner with the SSD was sheered right off when I opened it to solve a heat issue which was also likely caused by the drop (TIM was fucked).

I kept the box because it makes me lol whenever i look at it

I have an old zg5 netbook I've had since it came out in 2008, just recently threw a larger hard drive on it, maxed the ram out and planning on installing Mint.

HP-G56 I got as a gift, surprisingly it's held up this whole time. It's gotten a bit slower but I do some basic maintenance on it here and there.

Getting a new laptop soon, but I will keep it still.

X201 still working fine. I've donated/recycled older laptops because they're no longer worth using for me.

fuck off
go to a fap thread ya wanker

because it's fun

>circular
>fucking
>trackpad

I just recycled a 2002 laptop (I think it was an HP but it might have been a Toshiba or something) the other day. Didn't try booting it up but it "ran when parked" and was stored in a safe, clean place with heat and A/C, so it probably would've fired up if I'd had the power brick.

Wish I'd thought to take a pic of it or something, but it was my computer at one of the worst times in my life and all I wanted to do was pull and destroy the HDD and never see it again.

>iBook G3. I mainly keep it around just to show younger family what computers were like in 1999

>Mac from 1999
>old

That's more like it.

I shit you not.
My HP DV9000 still lives to this day.

toshiba satellite from '93 or '94.

Thinkpad T42 from 2004 running Debian

Acer Aspire 555something
7 years old, too old to seriously use but still working as a backup
One of hinges has been broken so i drilled a hole through the bottom and brutally connected it with a screw
GPU was also replaced when after cleaning i've forgot to put thermoplate back on it and turned the laptop on

That was nice shit, much better than fucking lenovo i have now

2008-9 Asus running Debian.

My Macbooks and Macs all die within 1 to 2 years. All of my Windows machines last at least 10 years.

Jade travelmate 251lc from 2002.
I am w8ing for the ram upgrade(2gigs for 7.7€) and i am getting a replacement screen.
It runs debian stretch and i use it to program data structures and ncurses programs

Nice telescope, I have the white version.

2009 toshiba
fan broke
Battery lasts like 20 minutes and it overheats fast

It's held surprisingly well. It was a gift in 2008 that cost around 700 dollars back then. Dual core pentium processor 2ghz and 2gb of ram.

Just clean it and change thermal paste every year.
The battery pack is pretty neat as it can be redone easily once the batteries are completely depleted, did it a few times by now already.

Nah I do have more recent hardware too. My daily driver is a 5 years old laptop and my workstation as well is 5yo.
Simply I don't see the point in spending money for an upgrade that I honestly don't need.