/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

hispeedcams.com/lenovo-zuk-z2-960fps-slow-motion-just-interpolation/
bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g-plus-5th-gen-4g-lte-with-64gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-lunar-gray/5764600.p?skuId=5764600
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_1017632.html?wid=4
xda-developers.com/stock-android-oreo-huawei-mate-9-project-treble/
amazon.com/Moto-Z-Play-32GB-Black/dp/B01LW9P0H4
att.com/chargers/incipio-offgrid-power-pack-w-wireless-charging-moto-mods.html#sku=sku8410354
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>android is google botnet
>iOS is apple botnet
How do I escape?

make your own phone with a raspberry pi with your own OS

Use an android custom ROM without Google botnet

> [picture]

what ? i dont get how corporate tie ins are meant to work ? if i am going to be a billboard for your brand you pay me...

that said im actually amazed we havent seen a free (or close to) pepsi or redbull phone yet

Is the Zuk Z2 PRO still worth now?
Can get one for $279 on Banggood.

Sony Xperia XZ1 or Samsung Galaxy S8.

Both 549€.

XZ1 Pros:

>design
>smooth UI
>960fps slow motion

Cons:

>top and bottom frame are made of plastic
>below-average camera

S8 pros:

>all glass design: difficult to scratch
>great camera
>beautiful UI

Cons:

>stuttering is slightly present... still
>curved screen

I've never really noticed the stuttering on my friends s8. He has the exynos one though.

The Xperia looks really nice too but honestly the camera is roughly on par with the one in my Zuk Z2 Pro which (if it matters) you can get much cheaper and also does 960fps.

I would say go for the S8.
Much better camera, much nicer screen.

I am thinking of getting the Essential PH1 since it's now $450. Am I making a mistake?

What's the Oneplus One of this year?

Looking for a phone under $225. I am in the US and will be using Straight talk wireless or Simple Mobile. Looking for amoled display or ips display with 4gb Ram, and 32gb or 64gb of storage. It would be nice to have expandable storage. Decentish camera for taking pictures of notes, doesn't need to be an amazing camera. What are my options?

""""""""""960fps""""""""""""
hispeedcams.com/lenovo-zuk-z2-960fps-slow-motion-just-interpolation/

Got a Moto G4 here. I'm not too savvy about shit but I've been experiencing lag all over several custom ROMs including the most popular which is LineageOS. More than to ask for a good ROM, I'd like to know: Does this depend mostly on the kernel itself? I haven't used the official one in half a year, has it gotten much better? The only fast ROM I had on this device stopped receiving updates by August so I'm wondering what the heck makes it slow from time to time.

I'd get the Exynos, so that's a plus. I really like the XZ1 design, not a fan of the curved display (but the bezel-less is really beautiful, though), but yeah, the camera in the XZ1 is a pain. I've compare it with my Galaxy S6 and man, I'm not sure how it does in good light, but in interiors mine is so much better is hard to believe.

Thanks user.

This is the best you're going to get
bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g-plus-5th-gen-4g-lte-with-64gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-lunar-gray/5764600.p?skuId=5764600

Meizu M6 Note, essential PH-1, Honor 9, Xiaomi A1, Nokia 8, etc.

Lots of options.

It's a good buy at that price, the camera is the biggest weakness (well, that and the missing headphone jack) but it can improved a lot with the Google camera HDR+ port

Funny how it looks identical to the 960fps on my mates Xperia.

Oh my fucking god, my shit just got dispatched!
How do they drive at night, isn't that dangerous? :worry:

>How do they drive at night
>Isn't that dangerous
When did you last leave home?

>pepsi phone
Did happen, but wasn't free. It is an interesting idea though, reminds me of Amazon's Prime exclusive phones that have the price subsidized by displaying ads on the lockscreen.

n-o animu pic?

>interested in the V20 but have small hands
Is it easy to get used to the huge screen? It's around the $300 price range that I'm looking at and everything about it seems good to me except the size. Last time I was phone shopping I got a S5 but it fit awkwardly in my hands so I traded it for an M8 the next day, the V20 is even bigger so I don't know how I'd feel about it.

ZTE Axon 7 at $229 is a better buy IMO
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_1017632.html?wid=4

You get used to the size of larger phones. I used to use an LG L90 4.7" phone and swore big phones were retarded. I upgraded to the LG V20 because no LTE on the L90 was annoying. I got used to it.

Amazing phone all around honestly. One of the last phones that has high-ish end specs, MicroSD card support, Removable battery, and USB-C. Not to mention no glass back. I also got an OEM brand new battery with dedicated charger for it from LG for $31.

Any op3/t ppl out there with Android O?

Dang if I needed a phone I'd be all over that bad boy

me i have the op3, upgraded last night

I think I'm going to get it. How would I go about lowering it's resolution to full HD instead?

Fuck off

meh, if it weren't for thanksgiving i'd have my phone today. also the minute i purchased an s8, there are rumors of the s9 releasing in like 3-4 months. oh well that's to be expected and it won't make much of a difference considering i'm upgrading from an iphone 5

I fell for the 5T meme

Why is it a meme?

Its bretty good

if i get an S8 will i be able to rice it nice?

I need a chinkphone, running a snapdragon with a decent camera. Around 200$
Any suggestions apart from xiaomi phones? All ither chinkphones seem to be running mediatek

Help me find a phone famalams

My autistic requirements:
Screen: 5.5”+ AMOLED, not curved left/right like s8.
CPU: SD 835 or similar
RAM: 4GB+
Storage: 32GB+
MicroSD: Yes
NFC: Yes
Battery: 3000mAh+
QuickCharge: Yes
USB 3.0+ Type-C: Yes
Decent Camera, 12MP+
4k Video, 1080p 60fps
Must have Band 28 support (LTE/4G 700)

the camera is apparently really bad

TouchWiz already looks pretty good but yeah you can rice it with any launcher you choose

Meizu M6 Note or Xiaomi A1

Camera overprocessing images is the main downer

can only think of the LGV30

LG V30 if you're okay with POLED instead of AMOLED.

Besides the camera, all else is top notch

>US, T-Mobile
>$1000 or less, less is better
Looking for a phone that will last me a couple of years and not make me feel like I'm running a dinosaur when all the new shit comes out next year, so that means something with actual support for the next year, be it official support or Lineage.
I'm really just looking for a straight upgrade to my Galaxy S5. Nicer screen, preferably both removable storage and headphone jack, camera quality doesn't matter to me.

1+5 gets pretty close

Who fucking cares it's cheap

> he didnt mention headphone jack

the v30 is too good for him

I could honestly count on one hand the number of times ive used headphones this year on my phone

Fuck I fell for the oneplus 5 meme. This thing has no music player?

you could get an s8 for the same price on sale, but otherwise it's a good phone

that's because you are a piece of shit.

T O P N O T C H
O
P
N
O
T
C
H

why are iphone products always superior? i'm not meme-ing

if you're not memeing you're just stupid.

Need a new phone and looking to get one in the sales.
Was looking at the LG G6 to replace my LG G4 but it looks like the V30 is dropping into my price range.
What you reckon? Should i swallow the Samsung drug and get an S8, go with what i know with the v30 or is there something i've not considered.
Would consider the Pixel 2 but i can't live without phone jack.

>still on the first Nexus 6

I hope I find a decent phone tomorrow bros.

If you're not meme-ing then you're just flat out lying.

There's nothing wrong with a notch if implemented well. Apple did not implement it well.

S8. It's super comfy to hold because of the edge. Fits easily in one hand and can be used one handed relatively comfortably compared to other phones.

Go try them out in a store though because you don't have my hands.

Spotify bruh, or look on the App Store, most androids phones have no music player these days

I hate that i've just tried spotify pro and love it. I don't want to give the jews more of my money :(

if you're a student you can get it for $4.99 per month

Phone:
>Verizon
>Under 300 bucks
>Specs similar to the Galaxy S5
Which phone?

Both of you are dumb as fuck. I have spotify pro cracked and it plays all music with no ads but that's besides the point.
What is the best music player anyway? I hearf phonograph is good but my fucking LG music player back when I had the g4 was so good man.

BlackPlayer EX is good

Is it possible to get a smartphone in the US (preferably with Verizon) that's equivalent in privacy and security to a ~2008 flip phone? Are old flip phones actually super vulnerable and I didn't know?

And is there anything decent left with a removable battery besides LG?

I like this idea, though I'd have to learn a hell of a lot to build my own OS.

would lineageos work for this?

Poweramp

Xperia X with Sailfish OS (not an Android custom rom)

XZ1 has Project Treble so I'd get that for futureproofing

I'm lookin' for a phone to buy.

>country
USA
>Carrier
T-mobile
>Features
Battery life is the biggest thing, as well as having a headphone jack. being powerful enough to play games would be nice, but isn't totally needed. I might root it in some years time; it'd be a plus if the phone could be rooted without much hassle.
>budget
$400-$500
>size
preferably around the size of the galaxy note 3 (5.95 x 3.12 x 0.33 in)

And is it good???

What does that even do?
Why not just buy from a manufacturer who actually does regular updates like Xiaomi, Meizu, Google, or 1+?

>What does that even do?
removes the need for Qualcomm and other SoC developers to release new drivers for every update of Android, allows for OEMs to update more easily without waiting for Qualcomm, makes custom ROM development shitloads easier

xda-developers.com/stock-android-oreo-huawei-mate-9-project-treble/

I have all my CC info filled out and all I have to do is click " place order" for a Moto g5 plus 64gb for $225. DO I PULL THE TRIGGER? I dont really see any comparable phones with 3gb+ of ram.

>USB 3.0+
Is there any phone with this technology?

What? What's going on with you?

What are some things to do when you first get a new (chink) phone?

yes as long as you don't install gapps

>Custom ROM development easier
In that case I'm looking very forward to it. Already purchased a Meizu Pro 7 plus but I'm just glad my next phone will have it at least Since my current one doesn't.

My Zuk Z2 Pro does. Makes transferring files so much faster thanks to that + UFS 2.0 storage.

Miui is using 2GB out of 4 with nothing open, is this normal? Is it a buffer?

I have a dilemma:

>grab a phone that's capable of running Daydream (I am developing an app for Daydream)
>grab a phone with slightly lower specs, no Daydream support but capable of running 3d games or fast enough to not lag after every button press

For the first point I'd get a Moto Z, because I've already have a ZTE Axon7 and a Samsung S8 as development machines, but what about the second point? Is there any sub-200€ phone that's not going to lag after every keyboard input?

Like all of Xiaomis phones have 4GB, you 3GB RAMlet

>T-Mobile Black Friday is buy two phones + activate a new line

What kind of shitty deal is this?

This no-headphone-jack trend is starting to drive me fucking nuts. Combine that with the shiny-back-that-loves-fingerprints trend and most flagships are immediately worthless to me.

Its 4gb. I was specifying 3gb ram was enough for me.

It's just MIUI.

Just buy from brands that have it until they're all gone.

is there a considerable difference between exonys vs snapdragon s8?

Is the Galaxy A5 (2017) a good phone that can last at least 2 years? I priorize battery life, headphone jack and a nice screen (to watch some videos while taking the bus to and back from college).

I don't know if it's a nice choice because it looks like it'd explode in a thousand pieces if it falls (no i don't want to drop it but shit happens) and it's hard to find a nice screen protector for it.

However the zenfone and motoG5+ don't look like good alternatives.

I'd get the Moto Z Play. It's currently only $20 more than the A5 on Amazon right now.

amazon.com/Moto-Z-Play-32GB-Black/dp/B01LW9P0H4

It has near stock Android, so it'll hold up better than TouchWiz and lag less and a Snapdragon 625 instead of the more obscure Exynos chipset. Also has the 3.5 mm jack and a massive 3500 mah battery. Another bonus is that the Z phones support Moto Mods, so you can slap a battery mod right to the back and almost double your battery life.

AT&T also currently has a battery mod on sale from $80 down to $10.

att.com/chargers/incipio-offgrid-power-pack-w-wireless-charging-moto-mods.html#sku=sku8410354

Also the Z Play has a 5.5 inch 1080p AMOLED screen, so slightly bigger than the A5.

Who gave you permission to post my wife.

On a serious note I would chose the G5+ or the Moto Z Play like said over the A5 at this time

Most tech sites pretty much claimed the Z Play as the battery king last year.

Galaxy S5

I need phone suggestion:

>Support AT&T Networks well
>3GB+ RAM
>physical buttons
>Headphone jack
>Rootable
>Dual SIM preferred, but no big deal
>Android 7 preferred
>720p or 1080p is preferred
>Removable battery preferred

Price is not an issue.I'm tired of getting fucked by phones, and I'm willing to pay.

Exynos runs much smoother and gets sightly better battery life

If I brick a phone installing a custom ROM would a reseller be able to tell when I return it under warranty?

LG V20 was the last major phone to even have a removable battery, and you'd be playing the bootloop lottery. Would suggest Moto Z Play like because the mods are hot swappable

The USB port on my Galaxy S7 is going bad. Charging my phone is becoming a headache so I'm looking to replace it.

Someone give me a quick rundown of the LG v30 and how it compares to a Pixel 2 or S8.

oh, i guess i got lucky then. i got the international version which has exynos

so i'm a long time apple user and i want to buy a new phone.
i like the samsung pay concept and general functionality of samsung s8, but i think the device is pretty boring to look at and i really dislike the UI. i tried to hype myself up for it, went to the store and fidgeted with it trying to like it, but i just didn't.
should i just say fuck it and get an iphone 8 instead? or am i missing out on something great about the s8? is there a way to make the icons prettier?