no

No.

Presumably.

Maybe so

live slack never works for me

Damn small Linux is doed as well

i dont know, ill check.
give me a moment.

It has always been a shit distro that's dead inside. It has everything to succeed: it's independent, doesn't rely on some E-corp, started early, devs aren't retarded techical-wise... But then there's the fact that everything is shit. From the site, to the way they distribute the images, to the installer that's stuck 2 generations in the past, and the retarded theme they tried to use to build the community over. Slackware is just the deadbeat brother of Debian, and there's literally no reason for being a slacuck.

Fuck you nigger

It's still the best advanced distro

>so advanced that they had to jump from 4 to 7 because they were getting behind everything else
Yep. This shit is futuristic.

>dead inside

>version numbers mean software is more advanced
Ah, the Chrome Development Philosophy(tm)

Slackware isn’t dead, it’s just niche. I’m enjoying using it to get better with the more nitty gritty bits of Linux administration, and I enjoy its simplicity and especially DIY attitude compared to some distros. That said, there have been times where I wished I was running a more justwerks distro with more packages and the like, but that’s the nature of the beast and I would probably be wishing for something like slackbuilds or easy to understand startup scripts if I were trying to learn on a more complex system.

it was never alive

Slackware is a snowflake circlejerk distro you pretend to use when your online friends find out about ubuntu, despite you trying to keep them away from it. Nobody's used it in 15 years, it's just losers saying it's "better but you wouldn't understand" so they can keep their secret club going

Isnt opensuse based on slack?

It's too difficult for user, we know, try using Elementary.

Let's count the hipster "i'm better than you" words
>niche
>nitty gritty
>administration
>simplicity
>DIY attitude
>nature of the beast
>complex

you don't see any of these words being used on any mainstream distro's homepage because we stopped having these problems in 2004

Or you could stop being a fucking hipster snowflake and accept that the only 3 distros that exist are Debian, Fedora/RH, and Ubuntu; and that everything else is merely a toy. Why would you want to use Elemesomething? Who even works with it? Who has heard of it? Not a thing.

rekt. A real proper snowflake alternative is going to be BSD, linux is only getting more successful and mainstream every day so the "fight" for you is going to be harder. bsd is all different, and shitty, no drivers or software... perfect!

Being this angry he can't use a slightly more advanced distro, very hilarious.

>so advanced that they had to jump from 4 to 7 because they were getting behind everything else
Yep. This shit is futuristic.

This is why I said "advanced" is a hipster snowflake word. barely has any features anything else had a decade ago. There's a reason why no VPS offers it, and it doesn't run anything important at any business, it's just losers jacking off.

It's the most Unix-like distro of linux

yup, because it doesn't have any software, drivers, support, or anything because it's a hipster piece of shit. See you guys next thread when you make it again to bilk more people into your smelly IRC, because this one's over.

Where the fuck do you think you are you fucking normie?

Slackware is a good distro to learn Linux and is meant for programmers, why would you complain that it isn't like Ubuntu or MacOS? Fucking faggot.

I don't see why that would matter, since if you cared about Unix-like you could use an actual Unix-like. Now, let's say for the sake of the argument that being Unix-like is inherently a good thing; if that was the case (and let's disregard the fact that you can't even define or quantify being Unix-like) you could always use that Debian build with the FreeBSD kernel, and that would definitely be more Unix-like. Your reason amounts to saying "it's special". It's also a motto that has been repeated for decades, but only retards who don't think critically buy it.
>Slackware is a good distro to learn Linux and is meant for programmers
Shut the fuck up faggot. There's nothing you can learn on Slackware that you can't on any other distro. There's even the fact that dozen of distros have better documentation and a wider community than cuckware. Meant for programmers? Got a source for that? Last time I checked, in a software development environment they don't have time to waste on shit that doesn't work smoothly; even Windows is used more than cuckware when it comes to programming.
>why would you complain that it isn't like Ubuntu or MacOS?
Maybe he did it because those two offer more functionality and ease of use than cuckware? The things that matter.

I use linux to make money and it's all mainstream distros. There's nothing to "learn", when you are just instead making up for slackware's total neo-luddite take on not having anything in it. You are just a step away from bsd or any of the other hipster anti-oses, problem is you bilk hundreds of newbies per day into thinking slackware is the "best" knowing full well they will fail. If you are "programming" the os itself and not making some sort of user level application, you have completely failed and your existence will end once the welfare does

This broken post belongs to a slackcuck. He tried to post some witty comment about how everything works smoothly, but his buggy piece of shit slacucked his post. The poor soul probably even tried to delete it, but that didn't work either.

eat shit

>I cant figure out how to compile my own packages or get my audio to work withaout ungabunchu unity icons (tm)

If you want to use BSD style Linux you might as well just go for some BSD OS.

SuSE was originally based on Slackware but changed towards Red Hat on later releases. Today it still uses RPM but its a different beast from Red Hat style distributions.

Oh really? You think you're pretty 1337 because you can use the make command and run a script? You're such a hacker bro! Manually compiling multiple layers of code on a military-grade dual Terrabyte pipeline framework manifold and... BAM! Access granted! Now I just need to install something that removes all convenience so I can hack the Pentagon like you do daily.

You don't need to compile your own packages unless you need to apply some specific patch to fix or add certain features. And you can do that with DEB and RPM source packages just fine.

what is the point of RPM in [current year] ?

Install Tiny Core

t. web developer that uses a bloated IDE with some hand-holding framework

I'm not talking about nu-males wannabes user, I'm talking about real programmers.

If anything, it's the webdevs who code on hipster OSes. Real programmers use Windows so they can test the stuff they code.

You might be the faggiest faggot to ever post on Sup Forums.

>US
>NON-US
keked

Amazing argument slackcuck. I bet at least one of those slacucked post above yours was you, trying to bait for cocaine and interest. Then it didn't work, and you figured that you'd cocaine the thread yourself and kickstart an argument or something. Truly sad that your shit OS gathers so little interest that you're forced to keep the thread alive by resorting to trolling it. Have a free pity cocaine, and it's the last one you're getting for me. You guys are a joke, don't even deserve the time that everyone else spends talking you down.

I hope so

Linux should cull failed and failing distributions and rally behind one, or maybe two distributions -- Ubuntu and Fedora. And there should be licensing fee to prevent others from forming a distribution.

Why? Instead of diluting the base by adding pointless new distributions, any it would be make more sense for maintainers or programmers to focus their efforts on improving quality of the software and adding features.

Slackware is just so fucking unappealing in every way possible, it feels like an OS from 1994, why is Debi an so successful and slack such loss and shit? Is it all marketing?

You completely missed the point of linux.

What is your definition of "point of Linux" because I don't think there is one single definition.

If providing reliable and quality software that doesn't break, for free, is the point of GNU/Linux, then I am only suggesting that instead of having umpteen number of distributions just for the sake of muh fredomz, they could focus on just one maybe two main distributions.

And, if someone wants to make a special distribution for real-time systems or security specific distributions, they can modify the existing Ubuntu or Fedora branch and release it that way.

Are you retarded or just pretending? If you tell people they can't make their own distributions you are restricting their freedom and that's antithetical to the GPL and entire design philosophy of GNU/Linux.

Linux is about choice, if you can't handle choice and want to be forced to use only 2-3 versions of software how about you install windows. In the end, every distro is running the same damn kernel.

I feel I am repeating myself and nothing seems to be getting through to you. Again, all I see suggesting is that a lot of effort is just being wasted in providing and maintain a number of different versions of the same software, when the real time and effort should be focused on improving said software.

Do you not understand what a package manager is?

(literally who)

-Sent from my iPhone X

>why is Debi an so successful and slack such loss and shit? Is it all marketing?
Same guy here. I think it's the convenience they offer. If you try to download Debian you have full images, net installers, LiveCD images, and several options like that. On the other hand, last time I tried to download cuckware they were only offering a very strange option that I really can't remember. I just checked it again and now it's a set of 6 disks; they're still 15 years in the past, but it seems like they have evolved a decade since I last checked. Point is that even installing it is inconvenient, while in Debian you get all the options and even a graphic installer. No wonder people don't even try it, because from all of this and the webpage you can really tell that cuckware is a very poor (as in money) distro, while Debian is fine. Slackware is the Mexican far cousin of Debian that owes money to the cartel and wants to sell a kidney to pay, but he can't because he has HIV and has progressed to terminal AIDS. And that's talking about merely downloading it and installing it...

>I just checked it again and now it's a set of 6 disks
You fucking liar, the 6 disks are just for 700mb CDs and they offer a single ISO for a DVD

You're being disingenuous slacuck. Why is cuckware so shit man? Look at that page again and you will find that:
>the 32 bit version is only available as 6 disks
>the 64 bit version is only available as 1 DVD
?
>there are no other architectures available (mind you that Debian supports like 15, but I guess that's too much for dirt poor cuckware)
>all the options involve optical readers
Who even has optical readers in their computers anymore? Last time I used one was like 7 years ago. Of course you will say that you can make a LiveCD from the ISO, but why is it that every decent distro is offering net installs while cuckware is only offering optical mediums? Hint: it's not because cuckware is a superior distro

Moron, it's not an enterprises distro. Neither is Mint or Gentoo or Arch.

I'm a RH admin, but I use Slackware exclusively outside of work.

Why? Because the devs keep things simple and don't try to implement braindead tools and automation which only make administration harder.

Fucking lmao at this write up.

Slackware supports x86, x86_64, arm, arm64, and 1 or two other non-official ports.

kys. You know nothing about Linux.

So basically you're a tool that pays professionals to babysit you remotely, and in your free time you use a really shitty distro and whine about how bad automation is? Thanks for confirming that cuckware has a userbase of retards. Next time try shilling as a Debian administrator making 9 figures programming in COBOL and tell us how Google hired you to move a shit ton of their servers to Slackware.
Cool story slacuck, I guess I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, because I can believe that the slacuck devs are so incompetent that they forgot to add those options to the download page.
>you're a retard for not knowing what the devs who lack vision forgot to write on the site
>you didn't find your way through a maze of links and pages just to find something that other distros make available with one click, what a fucking retard you are for ignoring the ultimate proof of cuckware's superiority
Also:
>1 or two other non-official ports.
>having to count non-official shit just to make your shitty distro that (allegedly) supports 4 architectures not look so shit when compared to other distros that support like 15
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

You don't admin *nix boxes, it's clear.

Automation is generally good. I automate a lot of thing with scripts.

The problem is distributions integrating shitty tools (see: yast, systemd) and expecting you to use them otherwise potentially breaking.

If you know how Linux works, it doesn't take much to do most administration yourself.

Slackware has enough tools to get the job done but it says out of your way otherwise and doesn't overcomplicate things to point where nobody really knows what's going on under the hood

Nice reddit spacing faggot
>systemd is not vastly superior for being event oriented
You're just a pleb falling for Sup Forums memes, you don't know shit about GNU/Linux. Are you ?
>I'm a RH admin, but I use Slackware exclusively outside of work.
Please explain to me what you were trying to convey with this sentence. Like, you have a lot of skill and experience at some top 500 company, and that means that any shitty distro you touch automatically is the best distro, even thought it's all poor and 15 years before the others? Does that mean that if I only eat gourmet food, but I also hire a hooker to shit in my mouth once a week, then eating shit is an exquisite luxury that only the richest and most cultured gentlemen can enjoy? I know you're trying to present a logical fallacy, but I can't quite tell what was your idea.

Last I've checked (was a long time a ago) they do not use PAM. This basically kills a lot of uses on enterprise environments.

It has Pam now though Slackware has never been target at enterprise markets.

It's almost entirely a hobbyist distro like Arch or funtoo.

>Slackware is a snowflake circlejerk distro

So, Sup Forums approved, right on.

Yes, same person.

I dislike systemd for technical merits, but it's not completely horrible. Imo, init scripts should be done in bash, not in a proprietary config format. You can do systemd bash init scripts, but it defeats the purpose if you have to rely on systemd interpretating it and not trying to be "smart" with it or inject behavior.

I manage over 500 RHEL6/7 boxes for work. I dislike that redhat has a utility for fucking everything. Instead of learning rsyslog (for example) they want you to learn their tool for managing rsyslog. Same goes for iptables or any other system utility.

No thanks, I'd rather use syslog as the syslog devs intended instead of your shitty wrapper.

I didn’t expect this thread to be so full of slackfags getting rekt, goddamn

great work

It was never alive.

>Linux is about choice

yes, you have lots of choice if you know how to program, know how to put an OS together, and aren't a lazy script kiddie that uses acme for fun in general.

Everyone enjoys a clown.

Holy shit dude, did you willingly enter a thread just to insult a distro you supposedly don't like? I don't use Slackware but I'm literally going to install it right now just to spite you. You are literally a Red hat shill posting your replies from Redhat HQ in North Carolina.

It is dude. Even the kernel is but someone who hasn't compiled their own kernel wouldn't know that.

archlinux is fucking slackware with a much better package system, slackware is dead.

Why are you so upset that some people.choose to use a niche distro dude?

Arch and Slackware are super fucking different dude. Slackware actually has an installer and aims to be very unixy while arch is just for ricer epeen.

Because it doesn't use SystemD aka no NSA/GCHQ backdoor

>someone who hasn't compiled their own kernel wouldn't know that.

arch is evolution imho much like linux itself

>slackware is dead
care to elaborate? It's good if you want to learn about elilo and other linux stuff

I use Slackware myself, but, to be fair, the same could be said for Slackware fags responding to an obvious troll thread. Although, I will say, it seems like the only Slackware threads that get made seem to be shittalking Slackware. The irony, of course, is that they're promoting Slackware thereby.

I see now. The systemd offensive tactics are at action ITT.

Slackware doesn't exactly get any panties wet, so it's usually not in the Linux headlines.

A lot of people do use it though. Judging from distrowatch at least, it's ahead of gentoo and several other notable distro.