/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider M.2 form factor a meme

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/shjG7h
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2HH7G0
amazon.com/gp/product/B0106RDIN2
amazon.com/dp/B017EVR2VM
amazon.com/Acer-XB252Q-bmiprz-24-5-inch-1920x1080/dp/B06ZXZ3QBD
amazon.com/AOC-AG271QG-Gaming-Monitor-G-Sync/dp/B01G5JYMNA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
amazon.com/MG279Q-27-Inch-FreeSync-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00ZOO348C?th=1
amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Nvidia-1060-GDDR5-PCI/dp/B01KHWOAR4
walmart.com/ip/MSI-Gaming-GeForce-GTX-1070-8GB-GDDR5-SLI-DirectX-12-VR-Ready-Graphics-Card/52897289
pcpartpicker.com/list/3qRFcc
overclockers.co.uk/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-mini-6144mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-106-zt.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

pcpartpicker.com/list/shjG7h
Please r8 and h8. Ryzen 5 1600 and psu already bought

My Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard requires two boots (boot then reboot) for Windows to detect the NIC. It's a consistently observable trend. Already have latest BIOS installed. What gives?

Update your LAN drivers

QUESTION:

Few years ago I bought a GTX770 from EVGA, when it was very high-end; it's still doing a very good job with new games, but I was wondering if SLI-ing it with another 770 (dirt cheap now) would do a comparable job to buying a brand new $350-400 high-end card.

I never tried SLI, what sort of performance improvement should one expect in general for supported games? If I could get one for like $50, would it actually improve my performance and postpone buying a new card?

no just get a used 1080 about $380

if it was amd card like 7970 then it would have been worthy to crossfire

Why, is SLI worse than crossfire somehow?
Also there's quite a difference between another $380 and like a used one for $50, if it pushes the expiration date by a year I'm game.

Multi-GPU in general is just bad. Two GPUs rarely perform as well as the high end cards of the next generation, and not every game supports it. On the ones that don't your second card is basically dead weight.

is the ram situation on ryzen good now or do I still need to dive into QVLs?
are QVLs 100% reliable?

SLI/X-fire is bad because VRAM doesn't stack. Games don't support SLI/X-fire. Driver support for them are also garbage.

The only good thing about SLI/X-fire is jerking off to score after benchmarking, heavy rendering or CUDA/ML. For gaming, they are straight garbage.

>2x16 gb samsung b-die
I've heard Ryzen has problems with double rank memory. Has anyone run it successfully on 3200?

Case is disgusting. Deserves better. Try a Fractal design R4.

I'm running B-Die as 3200Mhz no problem. Corsair LPX 3000Mhz Memory 2x4GB

You can guarantee yourself 3200MHz by buying a Samsung B-die kit. It just works. Other than that, refer to the QVL. They're usually accurate.

It's possible, yes. Some people have even gotten 32GB running higher than that, though you'll need something like the C6H and plenty of time to tweak for that.

what kit and what motherboard are you running?

>Buy kit of RAM
>Vendor: Corsair (Samsung)
>Think it's B-Die
>Scroll down
>It's E-Die

Replied to wrong post, was meant for
But my mobo is a shitty PRIME B350-M and the RAM is Corsair LPX Vegence 3000Mhz

Alright thanks.

are you sure it's B-die? it's a 8gb kit

When do you guys think the next generation of graphics cards will come out?

Around the same time that Pascal did last year. It won't be really early in the year.

Q1/Q2 2018.

HAs anyone found and good deals
Sup Forums insisted for months that I just wait™ For Black Friday

can I get a good offer on a new GPU during the black friday sales?

Im in the uk if that helps

Depends. What are you looking for?
Otherwise wait for Cyber monday.
Apparently the 580s are going for 200 a piece now.

if by good you mean around the MSRP then yeah

Dumb question:
I feel its about time to upgrade my GTX760. I'm a poorfag and want something new under 400. Whats the best card in that range?

1060 6GB or 580

Can probably find a 1070 on sale now, otherwise 1060 6GB

Jet.com has a MSI 1070 mini for $408, Walmart has the a MSI 1070 for $415. A couple bucks over, but pretty close

Quick! For someone that wants to build an i5-8400 + GTX 2060 (not a typo, I'm talking about Nvidia Ampere), should I buy an 80+ Bronze 450W PSU for the price of an unbranded 350-400W PSU or an 80+ Bronze 650W PSU for the price of an 550W PSU?

why do GPUs cost so fucking much

how is PC gaming superior when for the price of a GPU alone you could buy an entire PS4 or an entire Xbone

Amazon has restocked the 144hz 24" 1080p Asus at $169.99
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2HH7G0

Neither, buy this.

amazon.com/gp/product/B0106RDIN2

Why does every mATX AM4 board seem to have shit reviews?

usually only people with bad experiences post reviews
because mining, and quality of PC gaming is superior to console. +mods

I don't live in the US and this PSU isn't on sale here

I'm looking at a (U.s) 1,250$ gaming pc, but I'm not really sure where to start at. First time building a pc, and I'm doubting all the parts I've looked at so far.

the 650 bronze then

I mostly want to emulate older stuff (no wii u or anything that recent. Mostly wii and ps2). Would a 1700x suffice?
Last I checked the new 8700 intel chips were all out of stock.
And which board should I go with? Something that has good sound would be nice, but really I just want the best I can get.

I got thousands of american dollarydoos saved up and no expenses I need to pay for, so I don't really have a limit to spending.

I also want to game too, btw. Not just emulate. Forgot to mention that.

Anyone has a ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS?

I saw some bad reviews about it but it seems it got better after a BIOS update. I found a pretty nice black friday deal for it so I'm wondering.

Does that 1,250 include monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc? or just the tower and contents?

where can i look for black friday deals?

Just the tower and contents. I'll be looking for a monitor later, but I'm looking to get the pc built first before anything.

Lol. It's actually Micron. I guess I got the model confused.

On the store's website. Just go to a bunch.

Currently looking at 4 different monitors trying to come as close to 27" 144hz 2K IPS as possible, ideally with G-Sync:
amazon.com/dp/B017EVR2VM
amazon.com/Acer-XB252Q-bmiprz-24-5-inch-1920x1080/dp/B06ZXZ3QBD
amazon.com/AOC-AG271QG-Gaming-Monitor-G-Sync/dp/B01G5JYMNA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
amazon.com/MG279Q-27-Inch-FreeSync-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00ZOO348C?th=1

I tried to list these in order of supposed superiority in descending order. It seems that the first one is extremely expensive for some sort of unknown reason, the second one is fairly good for slightly less, the third one appears to be exactly the same but at the best price, and the third is slightly cheaper but w/o G-Sync.
What does Sup Forums recommend in this case? I'm trying not to foreclose on my house for a good-looking monitor.

amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Nvidia-1060-GDDR5-PCI/dp/B01KHWOAR4

is this a good dealio

I have the ASUS PRIME B350M and I will probably avoid ASUS MOBOS in the future. I heard good things about the ASRock

Pro4 comes in matx doesnt it? It's decent

How good is this deal?
walmart.com/ip/MSI-Gaming-GeForce-GTX-1070-8GB-GDDR5-SLI-DirectX-12-VR-Ready-Graphics-Card/52897289

The fact that it only has one fan worries me

i5 8400
z370 mobo
GTX1060 6GB
2x8 GB DDR4 3200 RAM (try corsair or g. skill)
samsung 850-EVO 250GB SSD
4TB HDD
600-650W PSU - gold
that'll set you back about 1,100, then you have another $150 to pick a case you like, thermal paste, etc.

Just get a case with good airflow, don't overclock it and you'll be fine

How is the Fractal Design C case? Will it run the same speeds as a regular card?
And are single fan cards louder than double fans?

All righty, thanks! Does it matter when it comes to cases that much, such as spacing issues? Or is that almost a nonexistent issue in pc building?

Do I need to buy and use thermal paste or will there be preapplied paste for the ryzen 5 1600/wraith cooler combo?

Preapplied

if you get a regular sized mobo and not a micro you'll just need a mid sized case, everything should theoretically fit fine. I'd advise going for a cheap quality case like a fractal design that has good reviews if you don't plan on upgrading parts/going in the PC very often and don't want it to look fancy. just make sure it has some good airflow and reviews etc

also check the QVL on your mobo for the RAM to make sure you won't have any issues with it

Thanks

Gonna buy this kawaii motherboard :3

MILKY

Why do people still use framerates for gaming benchmarks instead of frametimes? Framerates don't scale linearly. Like this pic was spammed a lot when Ryzen was released, but if you look closer and do the math the difference between 484fps and 309fps is only 1.17ms. That's like the difference between 60 and 56fps. When talking about high framerates a large swing means very little in terms of what you feel in the game, yet people still take high framerate benchmarks seriously.

Are those better options?
I bought the 1700x with mobo for 280$

Its just used as a means to illustrate that there is a difference between their performance when not bottlenecked by the gpu (see: pretty much all modern games). Its not meant to be a direct representation of real performance

wait ive a better question:

if i stick this gpu into pic related setup can i play witcher 3 and fallout 4 ?

Just a thought, next time announce your thread so I'm not sitting in the old one

I would not buy Seagate.. check on that model number at blackblaze

Better to sell it and buy an new card when the next iteration of Radeon and Nvidia cards come out

>if it was amd card like 7970 then it would have been worthy to crossfire
Fuck no, each of those cards is like 275W

1060 or 580 for 1080p

As long as it's 80+Bronze with a decent warranty I don't think brand matters

Options are worth the price. If you want a closed system, sure, get a console. The best shit starts on PC (PUBG, Minecraft, VR, mods, etc), and it has whole genres of games consoles don't have.

You can sit around and mine for cryptogold or fold proteins if you want to as well.

I bought parts last year but due to irl disasters with structural defects in the home I haven't gotten around to building it yet.

Is it worth trying to sell the 6700k and the motherboard and to get a 8700k and a compatible mobo instead?

Just build the thing.

pls help i don't wanna waste my shekels

Ordered a [spoiler]Seagate Barracuda[/spoiler], see you in a week RMA.

An other recommendations for cheap storage? Would you also advise against wd, too?

First is more expensive because its IPS and Asus. Its the best one available though imo. Last is a freesync monitor not gsync

So, what monitor brands nowadays don't have garbage QC with their IPS monitors? Dell and Benq still any good?

Dell, Benq and Asus are reliable. Others are a bit more of a lottery

I heard that the ROG Gladius II was actually a good mouse, is that accurate?

I was going to get a Mionix NAOS but if the Gladius II is as good or better, then I'd rather get it just for the sake of Aura support

All of them are IPS and the first three have nearly identical specs as far as I can tell. The last one is just a bargain option. Do you think the third option is the best, being the cheapest of the 3 nearly-identical monitors and also having G-Sync?

>Asus are reliable
>Asus
Haven't they been the absolute worst around when it comes to dead pixels and uneven lightning? I was shopping a couple months ago and I've heard nothing but bad luck. Honestly, after the screen in my old zenfone 2 went to shit after a year and a half, I have no confidence in them for anything display related despite them still being great with mobos.

I'm talking about the high-end lines which Asus are very good with. The swift monitors may be overpriced and gamer-y but they have very good feedback and little lightbleed on the IPS. I think every company aside from Benq takes a dive on the mid/low end

Read OP; builds are there

Read OP; emulators do really like single core so if you know you're going to play BotW it might be worth it to get an unlocked Intel CPU like the 8350K or 8600K, although normally I'd never recommend those for gaming (the locked versions are smarter choices)

Is it true these type of heatsink/heatpipe will perform better on horizontal placed motherboards?
The rationale is supposedly, the heatpipes will work better when all 4 are standing vertical.

Or is it just a myth?

How does one go about building a god tier PC in a mini case?

By abandoning hope

With water cooling and a fuck load of frustration building

Is Gigabyte a good choice for GPUs?

bought the only non-essential part of my new rig first haha

Can I plug the PWM fan hub on my case to any fan port on my mobo or does it HAVE to be CPU_FAN? My case is telling me to plug it into CPU_FAN but it's taken up by my AIO CPU water cooler.

Thought it was time to upgrade my trusty old HD4800 & i5-2500k. Unless it's incompatible I'm going to continue using my Define R2 case, tx650 corsair psu, 2tb hdd and benq 2420hd monitor as well.
pcpartpicker.com/list/3qRFcc

Is the M.2 ssd worth it over the 2.5"? It's only $30 more and supposedly has 4x the read speed.

It's my first time building a PC on my own and I have no idea what I'm doing, does it look acceptable for playing games/movies?

Hey, I was you like two years ago, but at least I had an 1TB drive.

Yes, sticking there a 1060 would be good, even a 1070ti/80. The 1080ti and Vega 64 would be kinda bottleneck. But, I was already playing FO4 and TW3 with that build. I'd suggest to get a second hand 8GB 1600MHz RAM stick for double channel, it should be like 50$.
Also, why isn't your mobo dying on fire? normalfag.
but, about the deal, it doesn't seem a really good deal as I have seen some at 185€ (Spain), so keep lurking, you should find a 3GB one with a lower price

>there is people who doesn't oc their monitors
???

Yes, but you just have to set ignore the CPU FAN in the bios.

Pic related is mine. I gotta say, the A8 is really shitty and I got a shitty, loud cpu cooler.
Should I just buy a new motherboard and get a Ryzen?

Woops, sorry, I thought it said 185 punds, so that's why I mentioned the 185€
but I would get overclockers.co.uk/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-mini-6144mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-106-zt.html instead as it's the 6GB version, just throw there a few more bucks.

Found a used gtx1080 on sale on eBay for $430

Is it worth the risk?

It's more about a percentage difference

Depends on whether that (I assume) prebuilt has a PSU with PCIe power connectors. If it has at least a 6+2 pin then you're fine for a 1060, otherwise you have to get a new PSU which means ensuring a standard 20+4 ATX connection between PSU and mobo. Lots of prebuilts have proprietary connectors

Eh, I would say so. But I would suggest the i5 8400 which is about on par with the i7 6700K

I'm completely new to this, so pardon my question if it's dumb. Would it be safe to pick my own parts even if I know next to nothing about doing that? I don't want to buy a great prebuilt that's bottlenecked by a single shitty part. I want something good for vidya and a thousand internet tabs.

good cpu
good gpu
lot of ram

congrats you're a pro builder

now shut up and go to pcpartpicker and bang something together then return asking for advice

Used parts are fine but personally if you're buying newer hardware I'd say just buy new

Yeah, just get the R3 1200 to pair up with your 1050Ti

Unless your case has a 2.5" mount I'd suggest the m.2 for the form factor

WD is fine, but I'd just stay away from Seagate and 1.5TB and 3TB drives in general. If you can research the model number

Consult the OP builds

>Eh, I would say so. But I would suggest the i5 8400 which is about on par with the i7 6700K

If it's on par with it why should I bother?