Has anybody here ever tried HDMI to VGA adapter before...

Has anybody here ever tried HDMI to VGA adapter before? Does the image look noticably worse or is there any response time delay? I'm upgrading to a new GPU but I don't have enough money for a new monitor with HDMI support.

Bump. I've been thinking of getting one too.

I use one it works just fine. Lags in games dint use it for that. No flickers at all. Image depends on the screen itself and mine looks great for movies and extra work.

The to seeking one on Amazon is the one I use. Cheap maybe ten bucks.

It works, probably lags but works

it works fine. I use it at work since my work place is too poor to upgrade to hdmi projectors.

For business use, its fine.

>lags in games
Wtf? Are you telling me that if I move the mouse there's gonna be a noticable input delay? Gaming is fucking impossible then.

no visible delay. I use one to connect my old tube, as I only have one analogue output (which is connected to my 1080p FP)
Mine also breaks out digital audio

I use one to connect my laptop to a second older monitor and it runs just fine. Honestly I think it's probably totally worth to get 1 or maybe 2 older second-handed monitors just to code or whatever. Comes really handy even just for browsing or whatever. What do you guys think?

>hdmi

The mouse and the picture. These things are stopgap solutions and won't work for proper gaming. You'll need a hdmi screen.

So which one of you people is correct? I've already ordered this junk and I'm scared.

Well I use it with a laptop maybe there won't be lag with a desktop but I doubt it.

But how much of a lag are you talking? Is it like playing an FPS with 200 ping or anything like that?

I used a while ago to connect a Xbox 360 to a CRT. Worked perfectly.

More like 1000 ping.

Don't worry about it dude. My second monitor uses VGA and I have one of these converters going to my graphics card, there is no noticeable performance issues and it does not lag behind my other monitor which is straight HDMI.

That wouldn't be usable even for work imo, eh whatever, it comes tommorow so I'll find out myself. But damn I'll be so upset if it sucks, I'm gonna be stuck with a beast GPU for months that I won't be able to use, just end me right now.

My CRT can't run at its native resolution/refresh rate with an hdmi adapter, I have display port to DVI-I need to try that next

It's just games that are unusable to me. Everything else is fine.

i had to overheat mine with a hairdrier when the solder died

That don't make any sense, it's just a signal converter, it can't only affect the performance of games, your laptop probably just can't handle games

I have an HP branded adapter and I've never had nor have I noticed any problems. Not even LAG.

Doesn't work for consoles though.

That's weird. I have my CRT connected to my GPU through one of these adapters and it runs at native resolution (and also unlocks the biggest CRT resolution possible if you use VSR).

So I suppose you are going to put it in a gpu and connect it with an old monitor. It should work fine, but god knows what's going to happen in practice.

I have one that looks like this. I got it for a Raspberry Pi originally but it's getting more use as a second monitor on my main PC. Works fine, but not tried it for games so I can't say whether or not there are any latency issues. Image is stable though, no complaints about image quality.

It works fine. I tested GTA V, COD WWIII, COD II and all worked fine. No lags, no delays.
Only problem I had was the audio driver fucked up and sent all audio via HDMI. Fixed it later.

If it's just a passive adapter, it won't work with newer GPUs.
If it's an active adapter, expect some very minor latency (1-2 frames at most) and a maximum of 1920x1200/1920x1440

Depends how it works.

Some adapters just change the pinout, and the GPU sends native analogue signals out.
These will function perfectly, as if the GPU had a VGA port (but the GPU gotta support that).

Some adapters actively convert the digital signal to analogue, and your mileage will vary depending on the adapter quality.

Basically what this fucker posted like 30s before I finished writing.

Just don't crank the resolution too high or it overheats and fails.

Do you reckon a passive HDMI->VGA adapter plugged in a DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter would work?

Probably not.
Do many graphics cards output VGA analogue over DisplayPort?

Anything pre 290X for AMD (7970/280X is fine)
Anything Pre Maxwell for nVidia (780Ti is fine)

Shit dude thank you I have a 780Ti

had one, shit broke in almost a week. 10 bucks aprox.

Passive Display Port to VGA? Not in this world, unless you have links of some kind because that'd be news to me. Display Port afaik ONLY puts out a digital signal, no analog, and any gpu that can would be special.

well i purchased one and i went from 60hz to 120hz and my resulution went up a few degrees