/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Previous thread
>Free resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
freecodecamp.com/
codecademy.com/

>Further resources
github.com/iRaul/awesome-portfolios - Portfolio examples
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Roadmap
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other

>Tools
jsfiddle.net/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your code
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

Other urls found in this thread:

facebook.com'.
http'link'
snipcart.com/blog/javascript-nodejs-backend-development
namecheap.com/promotions/black-friday-cyber-monday-coupons/
npmjs.com/package/morgan
000webhost.com/
4stats.io/
git.io/nord
openresty.org/en/
elixir-lang.github.io/
github.com/bungle/awesome-resty
jsfiddle.net/qL0vr9kd/1/
jsfiddle.net/qL0vr9kd/2/
jsfiddle.net/qL0vr9kd/3/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What do I have to be able to do, in order to be considered "proficient" with a framework(vue)?

not fill up a bucket of sweat when asked about frameworks at an interview

i think i can actually do that

How to work remote for a company?
It is possible like an entry level?

maybe try elance/odesk or whatver is in right now

Pros and cons?

getting a remote position is hard mode, virtually no chance if you are a noob. Most companies do not have a remote culture and if you need to be guided you are better off being onsite.

you can try freelancing, but that's a different story

unless you are in bangladesh, do not bother with
upwork, mechanical turk, fiverr etc. Saturated race to the bottom, you can only compete on price

ez question

users can submit a form containing links to their social media. Some use the form 'www.facebook.com', other use 'facebook.com'. Data needs to be displayed as a clickable link. Using href='link' creates an anchor like server/link in the former case, href=//'link' creates http'link' in the latter.

Do I really need to store links in a standardize format and do string magic?

if (!/^https?:\/\//i.test(url)) url = "" + url;

much appreciated

Any protips on good boilerplates, frameworks, or yeoman generators for rapidly prototyping apps?

Too many to choose from!

I plan on developing w react and redux.

I'm especially interested in quick general stylization. I mean, I would use create-react-app otherwise, but I need a quick and easy general style setting..

Any help greatly appreciated,

tl;dr: /r/ing best quick and easy css style setting for muh react/redux app.

>easy css style setting f

I been a fan of semantic-ui-react, or similar options that just give you React components.

The way several popular products make you fuck around with webpack to build the CSS is something I never made work.

Not gonna happen on entry level. If you want to work remotely you have to either search specifically for remote jobs or go to a ton of interviews and ask them if it's possible to work remotely. I have a job currently where I could work remotely but most days I go to the office because I prefer it more. Having flexible schedule helps with that though so I can come and go as I want.

I'm learning so much so fast that I forget a huge amount of it, is this normal?

I finished a bunch of apps, full site and everything but if I open a blank folder I feel lost because there's just so much to get going, a week ago it was just "index html, styles.css, app.js" and that's it, now it's like 60 folders, 40 modules, express, having to pass them all through like postcss and modernizer and god knows what else just so I can have a nice structure to even begin doing anything

Only been at it for like 2/3 weeks though

*dabs*

make yourself a starter-template, that you can use as a jumping off point for future projects and keep it updated as your knowledge and preferences develop.
>Only been at it for like 2/3 weeks though
That's not too long though.
Just reading things and doing them once doesn't necessarily mean that you have learned them.
It's overwhelming since there are a million things you can look into at the beginning. If you narrow your focus and don't go too broad it's going to be better I believe.

What do you use modernizr for?

>languages
>Node.js

I was using modernizr to show pngs instead of svgs for icons and so I could make a section I using flexbox with not break when flexbox might not load on a browser.

Without flexbox it just broke the page so I used the modernizr no-flexbox class to make it work properly again.

Nobody will ever see it but it fixed the problem anyway, and in the future I'll almost certainly use font icons instead to not have to deal with any of that sprite awkwardness in the first place

Devs shouldn't have to bend over backwards, just so that retards, who are still using Internet Explorer, don't need to update.
Not even MS is supporting it anymore.

anti-node cucks btfo

snipcart.com/blog/javascript-nodejs-backend-development

What's a good back-end framework to use on windows besides JavaEE?

Black Friday Special on Namecheap for anyone that's interested:

namecheap.com/promotions/black-friday-cyber-monday-coupons/

I'm thinking of making a shop for my digital products, is Snipcard ok from your experience?

I really would like to discuss the validity and usefulness of certain tools, but whenever someone comes along who disapproves of Node, the argument is always
>JS is cancer, I hate JS
>JS doesn't belong on the server
>JS is a shit language, why would I do more with it than necessary
>muh node_modules folder
and you never get any clarification on that or something that resembles an actual argument.
You can't talk about ease-of-use, speed, ecosystem, etc. and compare different options in a rational way.

The creator of Node.js himself uses Go.

I remember someone posting a neat list of pulibc apis to play with, anyone have it saved?

written by self-proclaimed rising geek and using outdated memes in an article. there's not a big enough trash bin for his opinion

>"Node.js allows you to easily shoot yourself in the foot"

Mang, some people like JS others don't.
Get over it.

Node was originally a C backend, but then it was partially rewritten in JS.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

>framework for PHP
Sure. Engines are very important and set industry standards.

>framework for CSS
oh.. well I guess it can be useful. I wish we'd just improve native CSS to allow some basic things instead.

>framework for javascript that changes javascript syntax and will fall in obscurity after a few years (hi jquery)
FUCK. Who is responsible for this shit?

>framework for printing javascript views, complete with processing data and so on, which should really jsut be a class file or library and not a framework, and all data processing is actually part of the PHP+javascript framework way there at the top
Who would make a framework for this? This is not modular at all I can't import this shit to my project because it forces me to adapt my whole project to it

>moves to different industry

How do we fight BLOAT in web design?

I'm learning HTML and the better I get at it, the more I realize that my squarespace account is not worth the money outside of the commerce functionality of the site. Are there any services I can bake into my website that will facilitate sales and transactions while still maintaining my own site instead of using something like bigcartel?

what's the product/service?

I work full time, but I'd like to make some extra buck. What are some good places to find remote work?

Clothing

>FUCK. Who is responsible for this shit?

The fact plain javascript is a shit language.

Also jquery is a library, not a framework.
I don't use any framework because they are too limiting, but I do use libraries like React, Immutable.js, Redux, etc. and tools like Webpack to change my structured modern javascript into the outdated garbage browsers understand.

Jquery has its own way to send AJAX information. That by itself would make it a framework would it not, as it makes developers have to adhere to a certain way of working with it.

Figuring out what to do with AJAX belongs to a framework that combines backend with frontend (and hopefully does in a simple and pure language way). Should not be delegated to jquery

Jquery only provides and alternative syntax to make AJAX requests.
Don't like that part? then don't use it!

A framework is something you have to stick with.
A library is something you can pick and choose tools from as you
please.

(btw: I don't like or use jquery)

>framework for javascript that changes javascript syntax and will fall in obscurity after a few years (hi jquery)

jQuery is still the most popular framework out there..

>How do we fight BLOAT in web design?

It's easy: use what you like.
If you think you need strong typed JS and the Angular overkill, go for it.

Personall yI think it's about a middle ground. For exmaple bootstrap and Flexboxes are is just too convenient to not use them.

>having more idiots ask stupid questions about your shitty product means you're more popular.

Why would I ask questions about React on Stack Overflow?
It has decent documentation.

jQuery also has decent documentation. It's also easier to use and has less gotchas than React, but that doesn't stop people from asking questions.

I'll bet 90% of "people" asking questions are poos.

But if you compare the values in the graph to the market share of Angular and React it's pretty accurate.

Of coures I'd suppose jQuery has a bigger percentage of beginners that are just not good enouhg (yet) to leave this crutch behind. but it's still tremendously popular..

>mfw I discover PHP traits

Breaking down large classes into multiple files is so easy and clean now.

You literally have no excuse for having more than 2 or 3 methods per class file now.

>compare the values in the graph to the market share

Why not just post the market share, is all I'm asking.

CSS 'frameworks' are just ready to use classes for the most part.
You pick one as small or extensive as you want and get a solid styling foundation, that you can still apply your own styles to.
I don't see the problem.

JS frameworks and libraries don't change a languages syntax.
Vue directives and React JSX add something new, but that's rather in the category of templating, like Pug and similar tools.

>framework for printing javascript views
Do you mean Angular, React and Vue or something else with that?
In nearly all cases declarative rendering and components make the structure of a site much clearer and easier to maintain.
You act like someone's holding a gun to your head. You can use whatever you want.
If you think you can do just fine or better without any of these, then nothing is stopping you.
>it forces me to adapt my whole project to it
At least in the case of Vue it doesn't. I think for React it's probably similar.
Angular is more opinionated and wants to be the main player I think?

i'm doing a node script that is getting a bit more big and complex than i expected and i'm getting tired of using console.logs everywhere, not just for debugging but as the regular app output so i think i'll make a small logging library next

anyone knows some projects that make good use of logging, where i can get ideas from? or any comments you might have on the subjects

no need to reinvent the wheel my man.

npmjs.com/package/morgan

react docs want you to install a package manager and build pipeline, just coz, you know, you don't have to adapt, they are not opinionated at all

at least as far as I see in the docs, you can just drop in vue.js

Node is so shit.
I have
array.foreach(function(x) {
request(..., function(a,b,c) {
results.push(obj);
});
});
results.sort();
results.forEach(function(x) {
console.log(x);
});

But since requests is asynchronous the results array is empty when it sorts.
How do I fix this?

>Not knowing how to utilize async responses is Nodes fault
Learn about promises. Specifically Promise.all() in this case.
Or maybe look for some retarded backend, that does its IO in sync instead, if that's how you think things should work.

>Been at it for two months
>Still struggling with JS Functions

HOW DO I GIT GUD
School is making it hard to do this full time study

>lol it's node's fault
you can chain requests with express and middlewares or use promises or async/await in a synchronous fashion.

start making your own sites that you publish online

necessity is the mother of learning

>been with a company for 4 years
>have gotten massive raises
>work is relatively fun and interesting
>no micromanaging idiots
>recently there has been massive influx of organizational changes and increase in managers
>couple of people being moved to new teams
>both of the teams have 2 - 3 devs and 10+ managers and various owners
>release process is a steaming pile of shit handled by poos
>environments are a steaming pile of shit handled by poos
>there have been multiple attempts to fix both but nothing has happened
I guess it's time to start looking for greener pastures. I can feel how everything is about to go down the shitter. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

I have plans, but right now I’m still learning the basics of HTML, CSS, JS... I don’t even know how to deploy a website yet

>much clearer and easier to maintain
Except when the immutability zealots want to use their dogmatic approach even for mutable scenarios, even at the expense of performance.
Immutability is clearly not the best option if you need two-way binding between model and view.
>But muh shallow copying, muh Virtual DOM
Waste of time.

Would it be worth trying to learn web dev for some extra cash while I'm in college?

000webhost.com/

perhaps use a free web host? Get your site online and then you can start applying whta you learn directly to it.

Later on you take your source code and host your own website in a better (paid) place host

I want to add a contact form to my web dev portfolio hosted na GitHub pages, are services like Fromspree trustworthy or should I stick with a href="mailto:email" link instead?

Some feedback on my project?
4stats.io/
continuously trying to improve things here and there.

Color scheme could be better probably, but I'm not that good with the design part anyway.
Found git.io/nord and simply used it for most of the site.

>I don’t even know how to deploy a website yet
If it's static, you can use any of these for free
netlify.com
surge.sh
zeit.co

>mfw my company started going to shit since boss employed a tech illiterate SCRUM master

muh javascript

kek

also you forgot to add the doctype in your html

> vue
> LaughingWhores.js

People who like node have never used it at any scale in production. It's a toy, utter garbage for anything real when you look at the alternatives.

It's only real use is being an overzealous package manager/build tool for front-end assets

what would you recommend then? I think of starting a project of mine but I'm overwhelmed by options.

>utter garbage for anything real when you look at the alternatives.
which are?

php is shit
python is fucking horrible to setup
node is for hipsters
ruby lol
what is a good server-side language?

muh enterprise quality java

why do you use xhtml closers /> instead of html5 > in your head tags etc?
other than that looks great

Go for microservices
Django with DRF for larger CRUD based apps

JS is great on the Front-end, I forgot to mention that whilst being bitter about the fact we have to run a node app

hm thanks, I added it.
I had the assumption, that it was some legacy thing and modern browsers wouldn't care.
There was actually a small CSS difference as soon as it was no longer running in quirks mode.

Didn't even notice that they were there.
Probably a leftover from a long time ago, when I wasn't sure how to set things up.

unironically lua and C

Real programming languages.

I'm just anal about the closing tags lel
you still got it on 2 of your input tags

I'll probably use the site to see activity and such, it's something I always wondered about but never made a project like that
I actually really enjoyed Lua during WoW Addon days

concentrate on studies, if you do a meme degree, just drop our already

Elixir. Double so if functional languages hit your autism just so.

say no more fampai, enjoy your high performance streamlined webdev experience

openresty.org/en/

>nginx
I like it already

elixir-lang.github.io/
looks like stuff that comes out of my butt desu

what languages can embed in html pages with pre-processing like php?

only ruby and C#?

well, it ends with nginx, you just write your location handlers in lua right into the request cycle

pick your libs and you are good to go
github.com/bungle/awesome-resty
>mfw I only edit a single nginx.conf

needs more sqlite3 though

It's a functional language so it looks weird if you haven't dealt with them before. You pretty much either love it or hate it.

I want to make a couple thousand dollars fast (not late on rent or anything, just want some extra cash), what are some good ways to find projects around my area to work on? Some user in another thread recommended looking around on google maps and making a list of businesses with shitty websites.

Thanks fellas

not really
# Spawn an Elixir process (not an operating system one!)
spawn_link(fn ->
send current_process, {:msg, "hello world"}
end)

# Block until the message is received
receive do
{:msg, contents} -> IO.puts contents
end

:msg, put your fucking message again

it can literally get rid of :msg, and there'd be no difference

for serious db stuff I use postgres
for in memory stuff the shm dict covers all my use cases

but I'm sure you can hook up sqlite too

I use sqlite for majority of my things since it's on disk as well as pretty snazzy
postgresql for any big project ofc
they're very similar
sqlite is just very nice for single - low amount of users
I do automated systems so usually only 1 or 2 people use a thing there

:msg is a symbol, symbols are used languages like Lisp and Ruby, and since a symbol is guaranteed to be unique you cant have a symbol with the same name in different scopes like variables, so it serves as a good way to provide static typing to identify the contents of something like a tuple, it sort of turns a tuple into a struct you could say

If anonymous use this the blue whale challenge is still happening what signs do we have to look form

to further the point:
recall that Elixir/Erlang uses pattern matching, so the process will only pattern match on tuples with that symbol, and since symbols are always unique this provides strong static typing

changed all the ones I could find now.
Wish I had more data for the timeline, but not much that can be done about that.

Is there other webs where people can talk about web development like we do in Sup Forums?

just don't lose your database and time will give you more data :^)

i need to take text and put it on an image in python, anything available better than imagemagick?

jsfiddle.net/qL0vr9kd/1/

Could someone a bit more experienced with flexbox show me how to put these two divs side by side? I'm having some difficulties.

I wanted to create something like:
[COLUMN A] space [COLUMN B]

flex on the wrapper
jsfiddle.net/qL0vr9kd/2/
or should they be of equal width?

just add a float:left to it
jsfiddle.net/qL0vr9kd/3/

Talking about stupid shit:
got some really great feedback the last few threads, but i'd like some more;

anyone willing to check out: rphilipsen.nl

Thank you, I wanted to see how it's done so I can have a better idea myself. I'll play around with it some more!