/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider M.2 form factor a meme

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/tJMVhq
pcpartpicker.com/list/dYvbWX
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-rev-60
asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/
umart.com.au/Galax-GTX-1070TI-Ex-Sniper-White-Ed-PCI-E-8G-GDDR5-256Bit_40774G.html
umart.com.au/MSI-GeForce-GTX-1070-Ti-Armor-8GB-Graphics-Card_40738G.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/mctQTH
pcpartpicker.com/product/gQCrxr/geil-super-luce-rgb-sync-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-glws416gb3000c16adc
pcpartpicker.com/list/phXnZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/NcH8LD
microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156151
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145022
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-DS3P-FX-rev-21#kf
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LKcRZ8
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/t8QvGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/XHsnZ8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I am fucking retarded when it comes to these mail-in rebates. What do I put in "Invoice/Order number": the order number where I bought it from (Newegg) or the paper slip that comes with the item in the package? I don't want to fuck up and lose out on a $20 rebate for a little mistake since I hear that these companies are sneaky jews when it comes to these things.

>Black Friday ""sales""
what a weak year

I got an 8gb stick of ddr4-3000 for $70 and a decent z370 mobo for $100 ($120 - $20 rebate). I'd say you are wrong about the sales if you know where to look.

SEVENTY FUCKING DOLLARS FOR A SINGLE STICK OF SLOW ASS RAM WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU

Who is the semen demon in the OP and can I breed her?

Is threadripper worth it? Is x399 a dead socket? I am considering just buying an entire new rig as current one is having trouble acting normal. I am on 2nd psu rma but I think issue is now in. Mobo so I'd have to rma that too. Made me think whether getting a 2ndary workstation would be a good idea while fixing my 6700k/970 build. Any suggestions?

I currently have an an s340 case with a msi gaming M5, evga 1050w, xpg adata ram (2800 mhz).

I am not happy with the workability of the s340 case either... But anyway any suggestions? I am thinking I can mix and match parts too from old build and new build. Or am I better just retrofitting current build? (ie just get a new case some more storage etc). I wasn't planning on upgrading at all until next gen ati/Nvidia is out on gpu. And until ryzen 2 / ice lake (or if Intel gets below 10nm sooner ) but.having a machine I can make into a workstation when I upgrade in the future again makes sense

3000 isnt slow and are you fucking bitching about the price when there's a worldwide shortage of memory in general? This isnt fucking 2015 where you can get 8 gigs for $50 or less.

pcpartpicker.com/list/tJMVhq
Shall I pull the trigger?

you're not getting an ssd?

I keep forgetting adding one, thank you
pcpartpicker.com/list/dYvbWX

>1070
Not worth it. You're better off cheaping out with a 1060 8gb vram or ponying up the cash for a 1080.

Don't listen to him, get the 1070ti

see
tl;dr upgrading my gifted Aurora R3, but I'm not sure what to do about a motherboard.

So I'm working on a 2nd build, Is there a way to move my operating system into a new SSD without having to buy another Windows CD? I bought Windows 8.1 for $100 a while ago. Do they let you have two uses for it? Should I just remove my SSD from my first build and transfer all Window files to my 2nd, bigger SSD?

I'm playing games like WoW, perhaps assasins creed, Football Manager, Witcher

Am I fine with the 1060 6gb for a year orso and can I then relatively easy upgrade it to a 1080?

>1600x900 20 inches monitor
>1050 ti 4GB
>500W 80B
>FX-8120 3GHz Octa-core
>8GB DDR3
I need a motherboard and i don't want to overclock. I have two options and i don't know which one i should choose.

gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-rev-60
asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/
I heard that the Asus mobo has some fine stock speeds, but don't have heatsinks on VRM, the Gigabyte one on the other hand has a nice heatsink. I've also heard that is not advisable to use a FX-8XXX with any of these boards, but i have an even worse motherboard and i'm running it. I'm just changing because my PCI-E is not working. If i could buy a mobo with 970 chipset, i would. Which one you guys would choose?

>all sites become unresponsive at check out

>WoW, Asscreed, Football manager, Witcher
Those are all cpu intensive games so your cpu is more important than the graphics card. I'd stick with a 1060 6gb and upgrade later when the 1080s go down in price. That is unless you want 1440p on ultra settings then in that case go for a 1080.

macrium reflect to clone the drive.
youll then have to use easus partition manager to extend the cloned partition (i.e. clone a 64gb drive to a 128gb drive, the 128gb drive will show up as a 64gb drive with 64gb unallocated space). not sure why this happens.

umart.com.au/Galax-GTX-1070TI-Ex-Sniper-White-Ed-PCI-E-8G-GDDR5-256Bit_40774G.html
for $660
or
umart.com.au/MSI-GeForce-GTX-1070-Ti-Armor-8GB-Graphics-Card_40738G.html
for 690

Is the cpu decent? Or should I use the cash I save on the card to get a 8700k?

And I'm on 1080. Thank you for your input

>poorfag retard that wants to gaym
pcpartpicker.com/list/mctQTH
am i doing it right?
could I get away with just 8gb ram?

>I bought Windows 8.1 for $100

Yep, more than decent. I'm guessing you will be overclocking your i5 which means you should get good performance for games that render many objects on screen.

Alright. Thank you very much

If saving a lousy $20 is so important to you, you're probably the jew.

Only 3 suggestions
>upgrade Ram to a higher speed like 3000 mHz
>get a better power supply with an 80 plus gold rating since you will be wasting electricity if your power supply isn't efficient and therefore your electricity bill will go up
>pirate windows 10 you idiot, don't buy it.

Considering it's a 1200 I think 8gb of ram is fine, maybe upgrade later when the insane fucking price actually goes down

The Galax one. The Armor coolers are trash. Galax are always pretty solid.

That memory's a horrible deal. For only $8 more you can get 3000MHz stuff that's much better for Ryzen.

pcpartpicker.com/product/gQCrxr/geil-super-luce-rgb-sync-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-glws416gb3000c16adc

8GB is bare minimum today, but 16GB is far more futureproof.

$20 is still $20. If you don't value money then that's your problem, not mine.

Left is my current, right is what i would potentially upgrade to.

Worth upgrading? (CPU, MB, RAM)

Worried about a bottleneck, my CPU is near 100 % (95-100) lot of the time while gaming.

Also some general speed improvement would be nice.

If you have the money, yes most definitely upgrade. That 4 year old cpu and ancient low speed Ram isn't dong you any favors.

>>pirate windows 10 you idiot, don't buy it.
>Pirating botnet keylogger windows 10 instead of god-tier windows 7
What is this world coming to?

It's probably alot to a poorfag like you who flips burgers for a living, but for those of us who have real careers its nothing.

Windows users are left with no choice as the time goes on. Windows 7 is EOL in 2020.

I like W7 Ultimate user, but the industry (gaming, specifically) is forcing everyone to update or else they can't play the newest games.

>those of us who have real careers its nothing
Interesting words from a triggered neetfag autist.

Will a 144hz monitor make any difference over a 60hz one if i can barely get games to 60fps on my rig?

Nope.

browsing and using the desktop will feel smoother

I'm lost on which cooler to choose. I found a list of PSU tiers a couple of days ago which was really helpful. Is there something similar for coolers?

1151 socket if it matters

Can you use any words that arn't Sup Forums memes?
Lame ass basement dwelling neckbeard.

That's such bullshit. Mouse cursor movement is noticeably smoother visually, but there's zero difference in feel for desktop use.

t. recently switched from a 60Hz to 165Hz panel

Just get an NH-U14S.

mouse cursor movement is part of desktop use. so is dragging windows around. fuck you, dumbass.

Cuck

pcpartpicker.com/list/phXnZ8

roast me

>inb4 paying for windows
>inb4 'lol, i dont have to roast you, that housefire will'
>inb4 lel, poorfag
>inb4 lel rgb ram (nigga its on sale)

I honestly want to know if I'm completely missing something here.

How are VA monitors? I've been meaning to buy a new monitor and the samsung C24FG70 seems nice but i've never had a VA panel before.

>PNY NVIDIA Tesla V100 16GB
Which cooler do I get for this?

>MSI Z370-A PRO
Decent board?

Your mother never loved you and never will.

thx for your input.

>The NZXT - H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 406mm long, but video cards over 294mm may block drive bays. Since the Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card is 298mm long, some drive bays may not be usable

Fag

>>inb4 'lol, i dont have to roast you, that housefire will'
My fucking sides

So I planned on upgrading to a 1070 then saw the 1070ti is $40 more for a decent upgrade. Following the same logic the 1080 is on sale for only $30 more and an upgrade over the 1070ti.

Seeing as OP states theyre all pretty overpriced from a value point of view should I just bite the bullet and get the 1080?

I'll pulling the drive bays and front mounting that radiator, cunt.

Just check out g2a. Keys usually go for 20-30 bucks

No, fuck you. Like I said, it's visual only. There is zero difference in feel. You're probably some retarded third worlder who's never even used a high refresh monitor and is just assuming.

Where the fuck are the Black Friday deals? Will Cyber Monday be any better?

16GB RAM WAS 60 EUROPEAN DOLLARS NOT THAT LONG AGO
WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Budget build for vr/emulation?
No amd cards

>no amd cards
this is shilling

I also need CUDA

This should be fine
pcpartpicker.com/list/NcH8LD

browse here:
microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx

>Ryzen 7 1700x $230
> Ryzen 5 1600x $180

And also:
Crucial MX300 525GB $130
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156151

A few other "OKay" deals. Otherwise I agree. Mostly weak. I saw a lot of better deals in the last three weeks on a lot more tech items.

smartphones

punch a galaxy and iphone owner in the face if you want to feel better for paying 120% more for memory than in August.

This is disinfo
It's because of Koreans colluding

Watercooling is a meme

>need AM3+ motherboard

I have one of these:
GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P FX (rev. 2.1) AM3+/AM3 AMD 990FX
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145022
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-DS3P-FX-rev-21#kf

I am very happy with it. Very. Simple, low level overclocking is trivial on this board, if you change your mind and wish to. Currently running an FX 8370 on it at 4,8 GHz with 1600 MHz RAM running slightly over 1700 MHz and 8-9-9-25 timings. I feel like I'm getting just about the maximum performance out of the tech I invested into it.

The only two minor flaws (for me) are that most Gigabyte 990 & 970 chipset boards came with 2 x eSATA ports before this board was released, yet this one doesn't have those. I've come to rely on them for external HDD storage. And, this board has a good audio chipset, but the native outputs don't support 7.1 sound ... you have to buy a separate audio header for that. Really disappointing. I guess also, it's not a good board for SLI, not even sure it can but that's a wasted meme anyway. But if those things don't bother you, then everything else about the board is great.

For $59 right now. A 990FX chipset AM3+ full ATX board for under $60. Very feature rich for that price.

Lads?

You guys might have it, an image of a man with a really gelled haircut buying like 20 graphics cards, very obviously for bitcoin reasons. I think he was carrying them in a shopping cart.

I assume you guys will have the image since it makes you as butthurt as myself.

I have bought an SSD elsewhere on the cheap before someone suggests it btw

No but I have this

>No amd cards
Clever girl

>bronze power supply

this is a gaming/productivity build. Please help me if I'm being a dumbass
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LKcRZ8

What are you doing with it? 8600k feels like overkill with the rest of the build unless you need to 6 cores.

are SSD hybrids a meme?

deciding between a Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD or a 2TB WD BLACK HDD. Both are the same price.

Anyone got the PSU tier list

Not sure what is the situation currently but I had SSHD in my laptop 3 years ago and it perfomed roughly same as HDD iirc. Then I upgraded to SSD and it felt like a 10 year leap in technology for me.

well lads, I could have bought an LG 34" IPS 144hz curved monitor for $320. I missed it. RIP.

Are curved monitors a meme?

This is Sup Forums, everything is a meme

Sounds about right. It won't matter how fast a SSD can r/w if it's bottle necked by a HDD.

They look fucking awful in multi monitor setups.

i"m looking at getting the a 1600x motherboard combo and the ram I want is over half the price of it.

Are they a meme tho

What the fuck does that even mean you cum guzzling ethiopian

>Black Friday deals
Saved more than 200€ so far.
What DDR4 RAM to get for my Ryzen 5 1600x?

Is 2133Mhz really as shit as ppl say?

I've heard up to 3200 you see a legitimate improvement in comparison to cost. The roi starts going out the window after that.

yes yes yes yes You want 3000mhz at least Ryzen is extremely sensitive to ram speeds we are talking about a 20 fps difference.

on a dell optiplex 9010 can i just throwing any power supply and any gpu and itl work?

>Saved more than 200€ so far.
good joke user

You want Ryzen paired with fast RAM to get the most out of your Ryzen. 3000 MHz or better, if at all possible.

ok thanks, gonna wait den

Are TN panels good enough for video/photo editing or should i stick with IPS?

Britbong jelly of American prices

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/t8QvGf

I'd like to be able to play stuff like PUBG and PES 18 (Sup Forums cup) on decent settings, and prat about in Ableton/FL studio.

I'm kind of disconnected though, I've been using a 1GB RAM Netbook toaster plugged into a 40" monitor for so long.

Budget £500-600 max.

pcpartpicker.com/list/XHsnZ8

This is my current build, i'm not currently looking to update anything else other than my mobo but i'm not really sure what to purchase tho, anyone have any tips that i can use to take advantage of the sales? range is $100-150 but willing to spend more for a good deal

Help with budget build:

Use: gaming 720 or 1080p. Will use 120hz in games like quake but lower res. Recent games with better graphics I don't mind 60fps.

Budget 500-600 euro, don't mind oc. Thanks

I plugged my new hdd in with the same power cable my ssd is connected to.
The cable has three endings but they go through each other until the last one.
I didn't fuck anything up did I?