The Sup Forumsternet Project

### Sup Forumsternet - dont lose hope edition ###

mark your location on the map if interested:
zeemaps.com/map?group=2784880

irc (SSL): irc.jollo.org:9999 #gternet
pastebin: paste(.)ee/p/0AQU4
last thread: What is Sup Forumsternet?
Sup Forumsternet would be our own decentralized p2p network running on our own infrastructure, powered by something like ipfs.
Similar things have already been done: businessinsider.com/cuban-youth-built-a-secret-internet-network-2015-1

This project is less than 24 hours old, so we need all the expertise and help we can get.
Every contribution is valuable!
Gather a group of friends and join the irc.

To do:
- establish proper communication channels
- decide on standards for software and hardware
- set up a wiki on installgentoo
- create resources for newbies
- gather more people
- start building something in the Houston & Austin area

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Irssi
irssi.org/documentation/startup/#first-steps
pastebin.com/0r4Syyy9
ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1350446/
m.alibaba.com/product/60288992030/5ghz-20km-long-range-data-wireless.html
wired.com/2015/03/spencer-harding-the-long-lines/
long-lines.net/
n-o-d-e.net/meshdevice.html
ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber5/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

please keep the thread alive until the americans join

I trust Sup Forumstards less than the average ISP

So you're going to lay your own network or are you just going to use the ISPs that exist now?
Not really a solution if you use ISPs, when they can just easily turn the switch.

Independent meshnet. Rebuilding the entire backbone p2p, no isps involved

We have talked about running cables in a neighborhood and making those into nodes in a bigger wireless network. So yes we would use our own infrastructure.
Take a look at the old thread. There are a lot of good ideas there.

how do you use IRC?

leave

Wishing you best of luck Sup Forumsentoomen.

If you are on linux install irssi and follow these guides
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Irssi
irssi.org/documentation/startup/#first-steps

Hexchat is a good windows alternative

Make the logo, I will.

we already have two.
pic related and libbie

Is this network going to have access to IP's outside of the network? If this becomes your main connection, I doubt you'll be able to go a month without Sup Forums.

Also, how do you expect to fund this project?

Inter net
Tangle net
Upper net
Supra net
Hyper net
Super net
Over net
Mega net
Outer heaven
Infra net
Under net
Alter net
Normie hell
Inter neat
Max power
Hidden net
Occult net
Obscure net
Net net
Net inter
Obsidiasis
Radio net
Relay net
Tele net

this is like something the guys from TBBT would do xD you're flippin amazing Sup Forums!

ExoNet

Full Netty

I just need to know what this means:

irc.jollo.org:9999 #gternet

Is irc.jollo.org the server? and 9999 the port or password?

We have talked about connecting it to the internet, but we have to get something running first. That is a later problem.
Of course this wouldnt be outr main connection, but we would develop it gradually.
As for the funding, i guess everyone pays for the hardware that they use and just connect it to the mesh. Alternatively we could set up a gofundme. Altho i dont know if anyone is really interested in giving random people money.

irc.jollo.org is the ip
9999 is the port
#gternet is the channel

unironically made a pastebin of the entire previous thread
pastebin.com/0r4Syyy9

Alright, so for this, all I'd need is basically buy a powerful dish, and just put it up high enough in this air? Kinda like a WISP?
Any recommendations?

could you format it a little bit?
something like the link in the op.

thanks.

why are you talking about wireless connections which are inconsistent at best
get dark fiber or get nothing

You have to make sure that there are other nodes near you, otherwise youll never be able to reach them.
Mark your position on the map.

This is way too expensive user.
We are building this with our own money.
Plus if we are using something like ipfs the loadtimes wont be too bad since it works pretty much like torrents.
Read up on a couple of the links in the pastebin in the OP.

>Sup Forums can't even finish one piece of collaborative software, except for the logo and github
>They think they can make a meshnet succeed
I give this about a 0% success rate

Thanks for bringing this up. I also wanted to bring up the feasibility of using retired WiMAX infrastructure and Ma Bell's abandoned microwave links. Please chime in gentoomen.

This. I'll give it another 5 threads an not a single connection.

it's been 24 hours m8. I'm guessing you never learned patience and the idea that things take time to come to fruition?

>Commercial pricing in major urban areas can range from $2,000 per mile per strand upfront
for a 20 year term to $50,000, depending on the provider and whether river crossings
or similarly complex routing is necessary. On a per month per mile basis, this equates
roughly to $15 to $275.
Doesn't seem that expensive.

I dont have very high hopes, but im still willing to invest a bunch of time and a little money into this since i have nothing better to do with my freetime.
If we get a couple of connections going in Texas, and get a couple of people in an irc i think we could get something small going.

we probably need some normies to get a fairly connected mesh

Interested bump
>t. EuroAnon

>something running
maybe an apache http server with a demo page or directory page, with links to shared files in the /www directory or ftp access to hard drives worth of information. in all sincerity this is scary and totally new waters. the gubbermint may even ban it.

Reminder that Sup Forums is still actively making a web browser with in-house engine for everything including JS

how does routing work?
how does peering work?
isn't this basically just anonet?

> shill the irc while you're at it
shilling the irc is HARD D:

Should be Sup Forumsterminal, Sup Forumsternet sounds retarded.

This isn't something new, no one said so.
But this is about implementing a meshnet.
Also, anonet is software level.
This is hardware

i/g/ternet

so you're pulling wires?

This is really interesting.

So you guys are building your own ISP?

Read the business insider article on op

HEY fuckos why dont we join an irc network that masks ips

The only feasible implementation:
ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1350446/

High data rate VHF/UHF file transfer by a software defined multi-band radio

Germany and France have set up a joint program called Multiband Multirole Radio (MMR) to investigate a next generation tactical radio communication system focusing amongst others on being programmable and providing extended capacity. As one part of this program EADS RACOMS undertook the task to design a non-hopping VHF/UHF waveform for high data rate file transfer (HDRFT) over TCP/IP operating between 30 and 600 MHz. Target data rates are 32 and 64 kbit/s to be achieved in 25 kHz typical VHF bandwidth. Message structure needs to be flexible to adapt to actual packet size, limited by the maximum transfer unit (MTU) which defines the maximum allowed TCP/IP packet size. The overall frequency band of the MMR is defined from 2 to 600 MHz, thus requiring a multi-band front-end. Due to software defined applications different transmission bandwidths have to be handled. To keep HW constraints low, the analogue-digital border should be assigned to the highest possible IF. Analogue to digital converters (ADC) are key elements in such hardware architecture. The paper presents the HDRFT waveform approach including an extraordinary 3-PSK modulation scheme and simulation results depicting the performance potential. The content of the MMR program is briefly illustrated. The programmable multiband HW architecture is introduced.

the USA doesn't even have the density for a wireless mesh in NYC

Same, we need a yuro equivalent

(/lit/fag in last thread)
read up on meshnet protocols, old and new (batman, netsukuku, cjdns). read up on meshnet attempts and existing meshnets like hyperboria. i think some cities have mesh infrastructure right now

NYC area is 789 sq km. so diagonal length is approx 1100km. so we would need 400 nodes in nyc alone to cover a straight line from one corner of nyc to another

This wont work simply because flyovers are so scattered around

this a billion times over

Someone?

can't we just install the serval mesh

very few routers and phones come with wimax, and microwave is kilobit tier. sorry desu

The Wired

Xeno net

Stop being racist, user.

Also, been following this discussion for a couple days now. At this point:

Babby's First net
Retro net
That 70s net

Ayyy already see DAT Mobile boy on the map.

I'm in Mobile boys ww@

FrogNet

C J D N S
J
D
N
S

>tfw wifi is microwave band

except apparently there are wifi bridges that have 20km range. this one reduces the number of needed nodes to 50...
m.alibaba.com/product/60288992030/5ghz-20km-long-range-data-wireless.html

900MHz

good luck with getting a commercial license

> very few routers and phones come with wimax
Just need to get a network going, and WiMAX modems cost next to nothing (or nothing). I'm just wondering about costs, because it seems ideal.
> and microwave is kilobit tier.
These were used for telephony and television, but were kilobit-tier? What magic were they using? Also, would it be possible to upgrade them in some way?

Of course I know this is long-shot anyway, but it's fun to ponder.

Links for the curious:
wired.com/2015/03/spencer-harding-the-long-lines/
long-lines.net/

member when Sup Forums saved the internet

i member

> In-house browser
> In-house network
We will be kings

Wait, this is actually perfect.

horee sheet, what dat cost?

C J D N S
J N
D D
N J
S N D J C

Peple, it seems like IRC doesnt work.

>> and microwave is kilobit tier.
>These were used for telephony and television, but were kilobit-tier? What magic were they using? Also, would it be possible to upgrade them in some way?
Wireless data transmission is dependent upon the Nyquist theorem which states that the bandwidth available is 1/2 of the frequency. In theory WiFi can hit Gbps speeds, but the problem for throughput is overhead like headers/trailers, parity, etc.

>We have talked about running cables in a neighborhood
Oh so this is just a LARP then

I second this motion

Outer heaven sounded cool because muh gayems but honestly this is really good.

Shouldn't it be The Wireless?
Still, I think we've come to a decision.

This whole project isn't too far away from reality as there are things like Freifunk that already provide enough source to built this upon.

The major problem with every mesh/p2p network is, not enough people providing infrastructure. E.g. who cares if someone in the middle of nowhere wants to participate but no nodes available to make a path?

This is where this whole project will stall and not move forward anymore, also normies will not really want this, so its a deadbirth right from the get go.

If you think about long distance wireless connections, this is not gonna happen. Multiple issues arise with that:

1) HAM Radio licenses / on HAM bands, traffic has to be unencrypted

2) Throughput on HAM bands are shit, literally bit by bit.

3) HAM bands are propagation dependent. You could implement systems that use day/night time bands (where you are based) and route through other routers, still the above points stand.

4) Long distance WiFi connections need directional antennas. Basically it is possible to link two communities with WiFi links together and get a good speed/reliable speed, but we are talking a 5-20 kilometers, see Line of Sight!

5) Fiber would be an option, but also its not really "undependant" anymore then. You know, they can cut your fiber if they wanted to get the system offline.

So in the end, either normies get on the hype train and it could work (like ALOT OF NORMIES), or it will be just a community network (several houses, maybe a street) with linkup to "usual internet" or connected up via a wifi directional link to another community.

Also what about authority? (See domains?)

>Sup Forumsternet
you mean pajeeternet

Telling those that want/seem interested in getting involved in a project to "leave", when the purpose of the project is to expand with as many people as possible, is not productive.

Yeah, maybe discurd would've been more user friendly but IRC is much more basic and straightforward.

>inb4 "sarcasm"
fuck outta here

What if we equip our SBC's with SDR/Wi-Fi dongles and start some local experimentation? I mean, we agree to broadcast 2 or three protocols and find each other anonymously. Is safe and sound.

Honestly I'll be pretty confident this project is going well once we make contact from southern US to southern Ontario, Canada.

I see two plots for TO, I'd be interested in setting up in O-Town.

>also normies will not really want this
We have a chance to have our old internet back, purged from the cancerous normies, and you still want them in ?

Hell, if you can get a network up in Toronto and another in Houston that would be a feat in itself.

NODE just posted a video about a mesh network device, give it a look:
n-o-d-e.net/meshdevice.html

Sup Forumsnet

I am not saying that. But realistically, if you don't have enough nodes, this system will not work. And how will you get enough nodes, if you don't make it a project including normies? Handing out preconfigured nodes, which people can run at home (like those plugin wifi things for example) would be an option. They dont have to participate in the net itself, but they could just a node to help the infrastructure.

Either OuterNet or

THIS
THIS
THIS

Why don't we just form a nationwide ISP that isn't shit?

just use tor, you shouldn't trust irc network itself to do it for you

Also, Sup Forumsentoonet

doesn't Rizon already mask IPs?

Exactly

And Freenet, choose either one and set up a channel.

yep, and many of the big ones

you do have a point, but >effort

See

It's cheap but you NEED line of sight.

ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber5/

i thought a simple wall completely FUCKED 5ghz signals

You need LoS for WiFi links.