/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

monkey-ball-prototype-1.surge.sh/
youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw
a.4cdn.org/{}/catalog.json'.format(board)
sys.Sup
cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/cltl/clm/node44.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fuck opengl

>No anime picture
What the hell are you doing?

Daily reminder that the JVM is dead.

@63537116
Stop spamming.

daily reminder that native programs are dead because everybody does web apps

ayy gimme dat (You)!

>Kotlin
lol

samefag

Earn it.

Shut up! I don't lurk /dpt/ so you can hurt my feelings, user!

Daily reminder that Java was dead the moment C# started focusing on cross-platform.

Discord spambot that sends a high pitch noise on the voice channels and spams see pee on the text ones.

so never?

C# is worse than Java though.

>less than 1 minute between posts
Are you implying I'm a phoneposter?

Lisp is the most powerful programming language.

fuck Vulkan too

What does OpenGL do? I downloaded it at one point and I didn't really know what it did, I was just told I needed it to play a game.

A localhost alternative to hooktube.
Still not sure whether to be lazy and just use a HTTP library, or if I should write everything from scratch using raw TCP.

Language VMs were are mistake.

Started learning unity yesterday. Did this. monkey-ball-prototype-1.surge.sh/

But I do love scala user. Why should you not?

Yes, Indeed Scala has some flaws, some of them is to have a steep learning curve, but it has a really solid logic behind it.

t. brainlet that cant scala

Scala is not complicated.

For what purpose? Who's gonna use it? The localhost alternative to hooktube is called youtube-dl

(((clojure)))

btw all jvm languages are on their way out

have fun working next to pajeets

>t. brainlet that cant scala
I know Scala. I've used it for a back end service.

It's a library that helps you write images and triangles to the graphics card so that your screen displays them.
If you write enough triangles and images it starts looking like Call of Duty.

Tells a lot about the brainlet that can't Scala.

That's a good start. I would look into resetting the velocity to zero when the ball resets, and adding a skybox for your next steps.

Memes aside can you elaborate? I sincerly love it, and dont get why someone should hate it

>write images and triangles to the graphics card
More precisely it lets you send vertices and how they are connected (usually triangles) and then tell the GPU what he must do with them. OpenGL is the name of a specification, if you didn't download an OpenGL runtime you wouldn't be able to play games that were developed using it.

Daily reminder that your desk calculator is using OOP because it include functions that operate on data.

Developing a language that only allows I/O at compile time.

Will do, thanks for the direction, user. Baby's first 3d programming.

Hm. Hope I didn't delete it on accident (implying I have enough time for games anymore ;_;).

Time to Program while listening to SuperEuroBeat.

You retard, then users will just embed the compiler to the program and compile dummy program whenever they need to do io.

So what's it supposed to do, warm up your computer?

haaaaa
youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw

SBT sucks
no compilation errors on unchecked exceptions
point free notation could cause unwanted behavior
// works
Seq(('a', 1), ('b', 2), ('c', 3))
.map { case (x, y) => x }

// does not work, but why?
Seq(('a', 1), ('b', 2), ('c', 3))
.map((x,y) => x)

The biggest drawback of Scala is the JVM. Writing Java in Scala feels uncomfortable.

>no compilation errors on unchecked exceptions
Meant to say: no compilation errors on unhandled checked exceptions

> For what purpose?
I guess an alternative to hooktube that Youtube cannot just take down by filing DMCAs everywhere.
I got the idea when there was a thread on the board about how hooktube had been taken down (but it turned out to just being the owner forgetting to renew).

> Who's gonna use it?
I guess the people who do not trust any 3rd party websites to not have tracking/analytics scripts.
And I guess everyone else if hooktube ends up being taken down; The people who don't want to command line just to watch a youtube video.

> The localhost alternative to hooktube is called youtube-dl
I know, but not everyone want to command line just to watch a youtube video.

What you downloaded was probably a developer SDK, which is not required to play games.
OpenGL stuff for actually playing games actually comes built into your graphics drivers.

why opengl over software rendering tho? using ogl appears to be the least fun way of writing renderers, since you are kinda limited to the set of functions given by the library.

>software rendering
>ever

Software renderers are slow as balls.

Why does it feel so anger?

>why let private ISPs restrict the internet in the name of shekels?
>let's let the bankers and their government cronies restrict it instead in the name of ideology (but really just shekels again)!
Bootlickers never learn.

OpenGL is only limited to what your GPU can do for the most part. Vulkan is a little less limited and trades off verbosity for a more efficient communication protocol but doesn't enable much more. Software rendering or otherwise not using rasterization is more flexible but also less efficient.

either way we lose desu

A device that seeks uhf transmissions above the noise floor and documents all their parameters using pic18f2620. I wanna make an automatic jammer and maybe spoof unprotected stuff.

>the set of functions given by the library
I feel like you have the fixed function pipeline in your head, modern OpenGL can do just about whatever you want it to do.

It's either the law of the jungle or the law of people who want power over you. I choose jungle.

this

>the law of people who want power over you
Here you're assuming that the people who own the government have no influence on the people who own ISP companies, directly or through their government cronies, but I guess having multiple ISPs presents a temporary layer of inconvenience.

> why opengl over software rendering tho?

Because if you coded a simple tilemap RPG using OpenGL, you'd get 3000fps.
If you coded the same game using software rendering you'd get 20fps tops.

Software rendering is mainly for GUIs that has simple geometry, is comprised mostly of images and text, and doesn't need to be redrawn as often.

>If you coded the same game using software rendering you'd get 20fps tops.
Maybe if you're a fucktard who mindlessly draws everything in the level at all times.

>own the government
Nobody OWNS the government. You can pay the government to do what you want, but you are still competing with other people who want the government to do what they want and are also willing to pay.

on a resume should you just put your main Programming language youve practiced and made stuff in and just list the others you've come into contact with that support your main language? or just the ones you've built stuff in?

In either case, hardware acceleration will make a massive difference

>Nobody OWNS the government.
What about the people who fund both of your parties and choose your entire cabinet?

import requests, time
board=input('Which board?')

def get_num(board):
url = 'a.4cdn.org/{}/catalog.json'.format(board)
catalog = requests.get(url).json()
try:
last_num=catalog[0]['threads'][1]['last_replies'][0]['no']
return int(last_num)
except:
return int(catalog[0]['threads'][1]['no'])

def get_thread(board,number):
url = 'sys.Sup Forums.org/{}/imgboard.php?res={}'.format(board,number)
thread = requests.get(url)
return thread.text.split('=')[-1].split('"')[0]

old_number = get_num(board)

while True:
current_number = get_num(board)
## print(old_number, current_number)
if old_number > current_number:
time.sleep(5)
continue

for x in range(old_number, current_number):
if str(x)[-1] == str(x)[-2]:
## print(x)
print(get_thread(board,x))

old_number=current_number
time.sleep(5)

What if someone combined lisp and idris??

literally shen, although idris is still better

>hardware acceleration will make a massive difference
It will, but I can see the other user's point that doing it the oldschool way is more fun, and if done right it'll still get you hundreds of FPS on modern hardware.

two wrongs don't make a right

They have their own competitors. Why do you think the tax system is such a massive mess? Do you think all those loopholes were put in because it was for the "good of the people"? Or because it would get the politicians who implemented them voted back into power?

>They have their own competitors
Maybe in the same sense that a monarch has other competitors scheming to usurp the throne, but not in any sense that is meaningful for the population.

Good troll. +1 epic meme coins

Remember to ignore Julia shills. If it wasn't for the fake benchmarks nobody would be talking about the language.

That does not work because that's not the way it's intended to work.
'x' is the tuple itself, the best way is to decompose it pattern matching over it, with 'case' .
You can also avoid pattern match if you want, and write it another way, even though it's a bit clumsy.
Pic related

It's a balancing act, is what I'm saying. The people with the power have to please their constituents as well as the keys to power(walmart, google, exxon-mobil, banks, etc)

Why would anyone want to combine Lisp with anything?

Scala should really have gone with single argument functions only.

Good question, lisp is already perfect.

I would love to combine Common lisp with static typing

We have public roads so why not public cable?
And plus, the government will only be the ones who own the cable, maintenance will still be done by private companies so no jobs will be lost.

>I would love to combine Common lisp with static typing
Probably means you've been misusing it.

>compare crappy c++ code with hand-optimized julia code
>the julia code is slightly faster!
>someone submits faster c++ code
>n-not idiomatic!

>why not public cable?
Literally explained in the post you're responding to, not that leaving it to the ISPs produces different results in the long run.

>C++ gets BTFO
>someone submits C code to do the job faster
>i-i-it's still technically C++, guise!

Government owns the roads but you don't see them restricting it, open roads, physically and virtually are good for the economy.

literally this!

>he's unironically comparing restricting the roads to controlling the flow of information
I'm sorry, are you mentally challenged?

u wot

lmao how are you always the first one here?

Don't know what poor country you're from but toll roads should be illegal.

Static typing is shit.
cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/cltl/clm/node44.html

I'm new to Python and something is blowing my mind.
For example, I have a range. And then I can write a for-cycle for it. But how does Python know through what to go in it? Is range also a list?
What if an object had also something else inside like a bunch of floats and dozen of strings? How does Python make something suitable for a for-cycle? And how do I make it suitable for it case if Python can't do it automatically?

>Restricting movement is not a way to restrict information
What?

How would you pay for road upkeep?

found this on the humble bundle website. I've been trying to start learning Java for a while.

Are any of these books worth it?

I just started chapter 4 in SICP. Should I just leave it and do some actual programming? It is implementing lisp in lisp but I don't know why.

Is making browser games in JavaScript a good choice? I ask because if I use game libraries it feels like being a brainlet monkey

>Static typing is shit.
could not possibly say something more brainlet.

Most 1st world countries have toll roads though?

Through taxes, like normal countries, they are PUBLIC roads after all.

>b-b-but they could also prevent people from using the roads so that they don't tell anyone things
>that would be as cost-effective and stealthy as controlling the internet
Thanks for confirming that you are mentally challenged.

Dont know if troll or legit retard