The Sup Forumsternet Project

### Sup Forumsternet - not dead yet edition ###

mark your location on the map if interested:
zeemaps.com/map?group=2784880

irc (SSL): irc.jollo.org:9999 #gternet
pastebin: paste(.)ee/p/0AQU4
last thread: What is Sup Forumsternet?
Sup Forumsternet would be our own decentralized p2p network running on our own infrastructure, powered by something like ipfs.
Similar things have already been done: businessinsider.com/cuban-youth-built-a-secret-internet-network-2015-1

This project is less than 24 hours old, so we need all the expertise and help we can get.
Every contribution is valuable!
Gather a group of friends and join the irc.

To do:
- establish proper communication channels
- decide on standards for software and hardware
- set up a wiki on installgentoo
- create resources for newbies
- gather more people
- start building something in the Houston & Austin area

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/0r4Syyy9
pastebin.com/tULwdsTL
ronja.twibright.com/
libremesh.org/
docs.outernet.is/
commons.thefnf.org/index.php/Building_and_Operating_Free_Networks
poal.me/jffttf
lowtechmagazine.com/2015/10/how-to-build-a-low-tech-internet.html
strawpoll.me/14472014
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RONJA
zeemaps.com/map?group=2784880
wiki.shackspace.de/doku.php?id=project:hgg
aerospaceresearch.net/constellation/
events.ccc.de/congress/2011/Fahrplan/events/4699.en.html
thehackernews.com/2012/01/hackers-launching-own-satellites-in.html
youtube.com/watch?v=zXTEWFb_6w4
youtube.com/watch?v=2yxwmSS6wrA
youtube.com/watch?v=Dq7PW6X3w-M
youtube.com/watch?v=uy2oPwpQFwU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Once again
1)Sicc EME/BMC channels
2)Use turbocodes+steganography+cryptography
3)Use Kuznyechik+HPC cascade
4) For stega use phase coding (can use TCP stega as well)
5)For key management of both systems - Kerberos.

copypasta 2nd thread pastebin.com/0r4Syyy9
3rd thread pastebin.com/tULwdsTL

I will make the logo

I live in Austin. Going to school for CS. But I don't know network stuff

It's dead already.

Speaking of lists, from the last thread:
Low cost setup:
1. Get in touch with interested neighbors.
2. Buy ethernet cable, wi-fi dongle, or install an app on your smartphone.
3. Choose a protocol like B.A.T.M.A.N.

Medium cost alternative: Replace second step by making a PirateBox or a Ronja ronja.twibright.com/

High cost alternative: Replace second step and crowdfund long range antenna.

ov vey

w-what's wrong, goy?

Who's doing the logo?

I've been hoping for something like this for awhile, but how can it be kept secure and free?

(replying to old thread)
that would be a good thing to make a comparison bullet list on, so we can easily decide whether to use an existing proto or start a new one
no discord, no rizon, i dont understand why you cant use the OP irc or something like efnet

>secure
it needs to be a resilient protocol and infrastructure that's fault tolerant and DoS resistant
>free
that's gonna be more difficult, maybe add incentive to share bandwidth and resources of some sort?

elementary, my dear user. disable write permission on shared folders

>Low cost setup:
This isn't possible with any significant range.

Here, the work is already done if you want wifi with a rang of 50 feet.
libremesh.org/

FidoNet was small enough to fit in a .COM file, and delivered messages around the world using phone lines. I'm sure we can do something similar with all of our modern tech.

Maybe, maybe it can, if you are using a middle man like a bigger antenna.

Anyway, I want to bring up another idea from the last thread, satellite receivers docs.outernet.is/

I meant more so how do you stop the government from trying to regulate and control it. The first attempts I read about to create an alternative internet was via local wireless connections via cellphones and routers rather than cables. But the weakness was that without enough people in proximity all the time to complete the chain it just wouldnt work.

Antennas mean stable range and coverage, but can always be damaged or shut down.

Also if this does go anywhere, prepare in advance and expect to have the government and media against you, suggesting this is "a secret network for criminals that should be stopped" etc.

Check this commons.thefnf.org/index.php/Building_and_Operating_Free_Networks
There is a legal framework protecting us.

>expired certificate

>using certificates from a dying internet

by the way irc.jollo.org accepts tor, rizon doesnt, so if youre worried about your ip just take 10 seconds to set up tor. stop being lazy.

literally no reason to use rizon for this

bump

Okay, you convince me.

You do know that you can't actually do much with an IP these days, right?

Can we get an i2p bridge?

>i2p
literally worse than tor

What about radio modems? When I was a kid in Maryland we had this coop the city started for high speed access. They used a sort of data radio and the houses also served as relays. I was hitting 700kb/s down easily.

Not a bad idea.

i2pd + ipfs
doit.jpg

i could ask but there isnt much point imo
t. im an i2p user myself

Reminder that GNUnet needs a new UI if it is to be useful, a new one in ncurses so it can be ran without X.Org has been suggested

I'm actually really interested in this. I'll be moving to Massachusetts in 2018. Any Rochester bros?

Can't we just build the network using CJDNS and low power devices like Raspberry pi's or low power routers with custom firmware

How are we going to power the Sup Forumsternet? We can't rely on electricity which is controlled by another part not to mention it might use nonfree software for its distribution. I suggest we start a fundraiser for a few billion dollars and buy the world's stockpile of propane to ensure we can keep our Sup Forumsternet up for years to come. Alternatively we can ask /sci/ for some methods of powering the Sup Forumsternet (potatoes?).

Here's how it's done, new names can actually be added:
poal.me/jffttf

Was this supposed to be a continuation of thread from pic related?

A lot of SoCs can be ran on solar power.

lowtechmagazine.com/2015/10/how-to-build-a-low-tech-internet.html

Might be of interest.

OP should add a naming strawpoll, project Sup Forumsternet is a really hard to spread name. Some common suggestions so far have been outernet, exonet, tanglenet and the wired.

>Current naming poll
>strawpoll.me/14472014

Considering it's us BodgeNet might be a more appropriate.

>can't add new ones
That's not current, this one is
poal.me/jffttf

As cool as "The Wired" is, it makes no sense when most nodes are going to have to use some form of wireless communication.

Use RONJA optical network for transmission. It is Free as in freedom.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RONJA

>"The Wired" is, it makes no sense
Agreed. That's why I originally voted Hocnet, but I figured most endusers wouldn't know what an Ad-Hoc was anyway. I think anything like outernet, undernet, altnet would help with its adoption into mainstream use.

Frognet is cool considering all the hops.

Laws can be changed, the best defense is convenience and efficacy. But thats comforting for now I guess.

That is clever, but mainstream adoption needs to be the focus. When network stability is dependent on user-provided hardware, network integrity is dependent on users.

That actually sounds great assuming the new net would be comprised of simple lightweight sites. I doubt I had much more speed than that in the early 2000s.

The Wireless? Could be cheesy, but still has homage to Lain.

Both altnet and frognet are sound cool and make sense, but we do risk associating ourselves with le ebin alt right if we use those names. Which could either
>a. Bring in more people due to controversy
or
>b. Alienate a fuck ton of people

ToadNet then.

Call the nodes "boils".

That's a good point too. Perhaps OtherNet? We definitely want people to see it as a viable alternative/addition to the regulated and costly 'internet'.

>tanglenet A+
>exo/outernet B+
>THE WIRED no.

I second this.

Great shitposting my friend but R E K T
E
K
T

I can tell you with certainty (because I might as well see the future) 'Frognet' will not be widely adopted even by a minority of the population. Under/outer/net will have a higher attach rate.

So as important as a catchy name is, what about functionality? All users share bandwidth? What about people that can't afford it or share bandwidth at home, but want to use their mobile on AltNet? Would it be required to set aside a minimum fraction of their HDD to serve data locally?

Someone should add OtherNet. Names that explain exactly what they represent gain traction the quickest.

I want to start discussion on the long range HAM part.
Here is a line from pastebin
>Our first goal should be to figure out how to connect Austin to Houston, which are about 200 km apart. I've read that HAM radio can transmit signals at that kind of scale:

We can use HAM's but everyone should first apply for a HAM license. It is easy to get.
Also, the traffic on amateur band has to be unencrypted thus we can not use secure lines on the HAM band. Also, music transmission is not allowed. Data, we can.

I agree with this. Exonet, Outernet and undernet all sound good, make sense and are catchy/related the the word "internet"

Might as well just build a satellite.

that's too centralized

Sup Forumsternet?
more like 'pajeeternet'
LOL

>t. ajit pai

We don't have to completely abandon the existing infrastructure; we can still use it for long-distance data transmission (preferably wrapped).

>zeemaps.com/map?group=2784880
>powered by google maps(TM)

wiki.shackspace.de/doku.php?id=project:hgg
aerospaceresearch.net/constellation/
events.ccc.de/congress/2011/Fahrplan/events/4699.en.html
thehackernews.com/2012/01/hackers-launching-own-satellites-in.html

In time, but not now.

I'm ready to deploy in my entire city just need instructions and what protocol etc. when we agree on something.

If internet is gone, we can use the amateur bands for communication even though that gateway is non encrypted. We can have a packet switch where non encrypted traffic goes through these frequencies. I am in Midwest and I am fine with running a gateway for about 3-4 years.

I thought we wouldn't be doing this cyberpunk stuff for another decade

We've been cyberpunk for the last 5 years, except we got all the horrible dystopian shit without the awesome neon everything.

RONJA (Reasonable Optical Near Joint Access) is a free-space optical communication system originating in the Czech Republic, developed by Karel Kulhavý of Twibright Labs and released in 2001. It transmits data wirelessly using beams of light. Ronja can be used to create a 10 Mbit/s full duplex Ethernet point-to-point link. It has been estimated that 1000 to 2000 links have been built worldwide [4]

The range of the basic configuration is 1.4 km (0.87 mi). The device consists of a receiver and transmitter pipe (optical head) mounted on a sturdy adjustable holder. Two coaxial cables are used to connect the rooftop installation with a protocol translator installed in the house near a computer or switch. The range can be extended to 1.9 km (1.2 mi) by doubling or tripling the transmitter pipe.

Building instructions, blueprints, and schematics are published under the GNU Free Documentation Licence. Only free software tools are used in the development. The author calls this level of freedom "User Controlled Technology".[5] Ronja is a project of Twibright Labs.

Whatever wont count on users to be responsible. If everyone shares bandwidth malicious users can sabotoge the system. If the goal is a free internet, then it needs to allow malicious users but hinder their power.

>If internet is gone
We can't just flip a switch and make it happen though. These things take time, and no one is going to want to use networks that don't connect to the rest of the internet until the OtherNet has everything the Internet has, and more. We need to stay on the internet, using it like a tool, rather than trying to compete with it directly, we don't have the infrastructure to replace it yet.

Reposting from old thread because it looks really good.
youtube.com/watch?v=zXTEWFb_6w4

what about
>LAZORS
youtube.com/watch?v=2yxwmSS6wrA
cons:
>needs direct path
>short range because earth
pros
>can be reflected with mirrors so no real need for a straight line

This, is all shit with no fun.

Sounds like the perfect project to me.

And no awesome monochrome CRTs.

Yes I understand what you are saying user. What I was saying is to keep a gateway open 'just in case'.
When we are starting up and testing this network, we can have atleast something to have a long distance communication running.

That's lower bandwidth and distance than point to point microwave, it's extremely line of sight, and even more affected by weather and misalignment than microwave too.

Is a small version of ronja. Lazers is the way to go.

Bandwidth is only an issue with large files.

Provide schematics to make one with microwave or ronja it is.

We don't even need everything from the current internet. We certainly dont need all of its current users and websites. Start with the basics, messageboards, fileshare, news, and entertainment. Even if you only had 5 domains to fill those categories, people will start moving on their own by appealing to their sense of freedom.

>satellite receivers
Dude my point is there is already tech on amazon that you can buy that can get you range. It costs money and eveyone would need to have one to make a viable mesh net. Not going to happen. Besides there is already a ham community that does this stuff. No need to start anything new. It just isn't going to replace or supplant the internet.

Basically BBS, FTP, NNTP, etc...

You're going to be associated either way. Someone is eventually going to draw a connection with Sup Forums, frognet, and white nationalist symbol pepe le frog.

As I said to a group of developers about their alternative network, the things that bring users the most would be:

1. E-mail. But with newsgroups-like mailing lists.
2. A VoIP and chat daemon that can connect to traditional irc clients with the voip/video streaming be captured by an external application, and make an irc-like protocol giving irc-like channels.
3. An imageboard would be exceptional but certainly a great step towards adoption, and if it has to use a web interface better be for styling and use of personalized scripts

Also an ftp or gopher for file sharing. That's it.

Exactly, the blueprints for content are all there already in history. You certainly dont need twitter and facebook.

Are you off your meds?

irc is ded

Point to point microwave will only be for those who can make a larger time and money investment. Most should be able to get by with normal wifi and a directional antenna, or something like WiMax. This results in many small wlan groups bridged by microwave, so those links will need to be pretty high bandwidth.

HAMs are government cocksuckers.

I think the lack of attitude that made people like T.J. do things like FidoNet is what has landed us in this situation in the first place.

I say a Ronja device running B.A.T.M.A.N. is the way to go. Still scratching my head about the mini-ronja device in the video as an alternative but not sure if it is powerful enough.

Would it be possible to connect all the things mentioned together let me explain.
So people could decide themselfes if they wanted to run Ronja or microwave or CJDNS and they would all connect to the same Altnet???

>HAMs are government cocksuckers.
How do you think your mesh net is going to work? It has to use ham frequencies.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dq7PW6X3w-M

If some Ukranian shack slavs can do it so can we.

I would imagine that decentralized internet (OtherNet) would be a lot like decentralized downloads (Torrents). Sure, some people will try to play the system, and some people just won't know how to, but most of the users will understand that it only works if they share.

Any distance the the signal travels, we need infrastructure for that. That's not difficult at all where population density is high enough that smartphones can act as the nodes, but for long-distance, someone would have to pay to install the infrastructure. If OtherNet has already gained traction, then it'll happen dynamically anyway. There's just no need to worry about it yet.

I'd actually like to see where every device connected to the network is a designated server, so if someone wants to set up a website, it's all ready to go.

>You certainly dont need twitter and facebook.
You do actually. If this is a private club for 4channers and spergs it won't work; we'd be paying out the ass to keep small, slow-moving networks up just so that we can send each other secret messages. Meanwhile, the internet (where Netflix, searchable websites and gaming is) is still being corrupted by the government. Lets not lose focus here people, we need a wide-spread easily adoptable publicly accessible connection if we're going to supplant the internet and return things to their rightful form - Freedom.

Those are directional antennas. You need an amni directional antenna for a mesh net.

youtube.com/watch?v=uy2oPwpQFwU

Watch this kids.