/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask your questions that don't warrant their own thread here. Try to google first

Other urls found in this thread:

udacity.com/course/high-performance-computer-architecture--ud007
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testosterone#Sexual_arousal
twitter.com/AnonBabble

how to see remaining battery time on linux when the battery can last over 10 hours

acpi only shows max 10h

I tried search engines and some linux-related IRC-channels but I haven't found any answers yes

Thinking of upgrading from my 20mb broadband to 76mb fibre optic. My ISP (talk talk) say up to 76mb, is there anyway I can accurately tell what speed I'll be getting?

I bought a new SSD
can I install Windows 10 on the SSD, then plug in my old HDD without uninstalling 10, and still have access to all my programs and files? I realize I need to make sure to boot from the SSD.

anyone know a program to make an animated png (APNG) from sequence of png files? with ability to crop/compress/resize files

Yes. You can use any drives that are connected just like how you'd be able to use a USB flash drive or external HDD. You can also dual boot to have Windows 10 on one drive and another OS on the other, but if you choose to do that, make sure you read instructions carefully because you have to make sure you do tings like unplug all the drives except for the one you'll be installing the OS on..

I'm not sure why you'd want to make Win10 your main OS for your SSD though.

anyone?

powertop

>NEW MOTHERBOARD PLZ

My motherboard's been crashy so I'm going to upgrade to a new one. My current one is an AMD but I think I need an Intel. My video card is a GeForce GTX 660 and my PSU is a Corsair CXX 750.

I believe an affordable option might be Intel DZ68DB, but I want to know if there's something better. I work on a lot of Photoshop and Premiere, and some of my graphic-heavy games might be stuff like Borderlands, Dark Souls, TF2, Bioshock, and other games like that.

What's the best option that's both affordable (around a hundred bucks) and functions well?

Here's my full specs:

Processor
Processor AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core Processor
Manufacturer AMD
Speed 4.0 GHz
Number of Cores 8
CPU ID 178BFBFF00600F20
Family 15
Model 02
Stepping 0
Revision
Memory
RAM 16 GB
Video Card
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Manufacturer
Chipset GeForce GTX 660
Dedicated Memory 2.0 GB
Total Memory 4.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0
Hardware T & L Yes
Vendor ID 10DE
Device 11C0
Plug and Play ID VEN_10DE&DEV_11C0&SUBSYS_28711462&REV_A1
Driver Version 9.18.13.3182
Operating System
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Service Pack 1
Size 64-bit
Edition NVIDIA
Version 6.1.7601
Locale 0409
BIOS
BIOS Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Version Award Software International, Inc. F5
Manufacturer Award Software International, Inc.
Date 10/13/11
Sound
Audio 1
Sound Device NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Driver 1.3.34.4
Audio 2
Sound Device NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Driver
Audio 3
Sound Device Realtek High Definition Audio
Driver 6.0.1.8036
Drives
DVD
CD
Drive 1
Size 683.5 GB
Free Memory 622.7 GB
Drive 2
Size 931.5 GB
Free Memory 313.6 GB
Drive 3
Size 111.7 GB
Free Memory 16.7 GB
Drive 4
Size 100.0 MB
Free Memory 70.3 MB
Drive 5
Size 100.0 MB
Free Memory 70.3 MB
Software
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.18792
Chrome 62.0.3202.94
Firefox 56.0
Safari
Java 8.0.910.15
Flash
DirectX 11.0
.NET 4.6.1
QuickTime

Probably should have cut out some of that info...

But I realize I also need a new processor too, right? What's a good affordable option?

i have a really old router (probably over 6 years old) and after using it for awhile my ping slowly gets worse and worse. im talking like over 2 weeks to really start noticing it

even the router page loads super slow so i know somethings going on. i can "fix" it by rebooting it but im just curious why thats happening now?

if u get a new motherboard and new cpu you'll also need new ram since all new mobos are ddr4 and youre on ddr3 i assume (too lazy to look up your mobo)

if you just want something good that will last a long time you should go on tigerdirect or newegg and look at the 7700k and then look at any combo deals they have and buy that. mobos really dont matter that much unless youre a super overclocker so just get anything that works and looks nice to you

It's dead jim

What app is that?
>inb4 Real Racing 3

best alternative to downthemall extension on firefox?

Since the update i cant get it

Could I get a more up to date processor that's stronger than pic related for less than $200?

Programs depending on registry entries, etc, may have problems.

how do I use wireshark?

So when you install office 365 it has a 5 days grace trail, I'm trying to figure out how to reset it?

Should I try to find software that traces registries and system changes after an install and try to locate where the information of trail period is located?

I've removed the key from PC via the office script - but when I open office again the time left on trail doesn't reset.

Live without it or use Cyberfox/Waterfox.

why dont you just pirate it?

does office 365 have any features that are unique that you wont get in office 2016 or w/e

my LED screen is suddenly displaying horizontal black&white lines when specific things are on screen (videos, ingame inventory in some vidya, etc.) other than that it works great, dunno what's causing such a specific issue

any ideas?

do u have another screen to try it with? i would do that before jumping to conclusions, it could be your graphics card or graphic card drivers bugging out instead of the screen itself

where (website or youtube channel) can I learn more in-depth about hardware, for example how a CPU and its cache, number of cores and clock works and interact with others components like memory, HDD/SSD, GPU.

Yes it has new features not game changing - but fun to have especially with OneNote - it's just something like office 2016.5, it will keep receiving features until it either becomes a new office or something around that.

I've tried on another screen and it works great, tried switching the cables and got the same results

udemy and udacity have courses on computer architecture

udacity.com/course/high-performance-computer-architecture--ud007

when i was going through university i used this course to supplement the actual coursework for stuff i didnt understand, its pretty good and the guy is decent at explaining stuff

>Laptop gives DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE randomly
>Wont turn off unless i force it

Would formatting it fix it?

bought a ram kit for my pc, mobo is dual channel compatible, had a single stick before.

new ones work together with dual channel,
1 new stick works with 1 old stick
2 new sticks + 1 old stick doesn't work.

why?

how much ram do you have and what operating system are you using

My manager wants me to review and update the way our team uses version control, but he's the one who's always screwing things up. How can I diplomatically get him to do shit properly?

>Lol, major feature that touches fucking everything isn't working so I gotta go and take it out
>w/e, I'll just roll that stuff back
>Oh, yeah we can't do that because there's a bunch of other changes that are still supposed to be there, so I need to go through every file and take it out
To his merit, it's not like he's asking anybody else to fix it, but he just wasted his own weekend, not to mention that everything is probably going to be broke as shit on Monday now.
We're switching over to git soon, and local branches would make his life infinitely better so he can keep his fucking projects separate, but I have a feeling he's just not going to use them, and just constantly complain because it's slightly different and he doesn't want to learn anything new. I really hope I'm underselling him, he just seriously doesn't grasp how to use vcs in order to actually benefit properly from it.

ty user, I appreciate

alrighty i just completely give up.
i am using SQL Tree in foobar. i want it to create a list based on what FOLDER the files are located in rather reading tags. for example:
Artists
Artist1
Album1
Album2
Album3
Artist2
Album1
Artist3
Album1
Album2
Artist4
Album1

PLEASE either tell me how to do this without really knowing SQL.

win 10.

mobo is asus h81 gamer
new rams are viper patriot 2x8gb 1600mhz
old ram hyperx fury 8gb 1600mhz

Make sure you're putting the matching ram in the matching slots.
Try combinations of slots and sticks to rule out the possibility that a slot or one of the sticks is not working.

Also, while in theory it's not a problem, I've run into some really fucky problems before with mis-matched ram.

Ok so I've decided to trace the install of 365 in a virtual machine, which software, good practices should I use for it to cover as much data as possible?

I've done a very autismo mix trial of all slots, I'm guessing it's the sticks themselves, then. it's cool though 16 will be more than enough for me

What's a good, cheap CPU cooler? I was looking at the Hyper 212 EVO but I noticed there were a bunch of different versions that varied widely in price, from like $30 to like $300
Would this be good to replace my stock cooler? And why are the prices so different?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

i3 8350k?

What would an uncopy function do? What if you copied a file over itself?

How do i run an application inside a container on my PC which uses resources from another computer??

I was running CPU stress testes to determine the temp differences between various CPU and case fan speeds. When I set all my fans to "silent" (around 650rpm) and did the test and my PC shut down after my CPU reached 90c. Does any long term damage come with making my CPU so hot it has to use its Over Temperature protection?

no, short term extreme temperatures do no damage to cpus. they'll start melting at something like 234c though.

modern computers kill themselves long before they do any damage, and if they were going to do damage it would be damaging the capacitors on the motherboard and not the actual processor

Do female athletes ever get cummies on their cervix to boost their testosterone in a way that isn't considered cheating?

thats not how testosterone works.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testosterone#Sexual_arousal

wtf lol

why wouldnt they just take testosterone supplements?

i used to be on the rowing team in college and we would regularly take natural testosterone boosters. anabolic steroids are illegal for competitive use because they're laboratory synthesized, on the other hand natural testosterone boosters are not and are totally legal.

on the high end of competitive sports people do weird shit (like overloading their body with blood via transfusions), but that is not one of them

the Chinese weightlifting team all ice their balls but there's no evidence that natural test boosters boost your test any substantial amount. At least not enough to warrant freezing your balls the night before a competition.

Women can only have so much testosterone in their body before they are disqualified.

Look at the trans girl who destroyed the competition. He had to have a testosterone level within certain limits to be eligible to compete

is gigabit ethernet currently the best value for money?

I'm looking at SFP modules but they're $450 for a dual port NIC. And then a half foot cable is around $150

why can't I get a job

cause its a friday night and thanksgiving was yesterday.

Technologically inept so forgive me if Im not detailed enough but a few months back my old hard drive died on me and I got a new one, everything works fine except I cannot for the life of me get anything installed properly onto my F drive. I formatted, scanned it, everything and it still wont work. Its also really inconsistent, I installed a few tiny games off Steam like Fallout 1 onto it just to test it and they work fine. However, if I installed anything bigger it would launch but would just constantly crash on me like 2 minutes in. At this point Im just considering giving up and getting an external drive to make up for all that space I cant use

looking for a good USB hubs, recommend me rad hubs

I would go with ryzen personally with the b.s. Intels been pulling

Dont use sfp just use standard CAT 5e/6

Looking for a physical planner for 2018, gents. Any of you still use these, if so, what would you suggest?

My TV only has optical toslink out for audio. Outside of a receiver, what do I buy to connect speakers with a 3.5mm trs jack? What about 5.1 trs?

what are the best options for app/data security when i have to allow other people to use my device (android)?

ive tried the "app lockers" but you can literally uninstall them to circumvent the entire lock so im not sure why anyone would use those

Are there any legitimate reasons to be against net neutrality?

is an occulus rift worth getting for $350?

mom needs a cheap office/facebook machine with wifi, would it be better (or cheaper) to get it integrated into the board rather than buy a card?

No.

Androids support guests

In Python is there a way in good practice to initialise functions as variables in a dictionary?

buy a mini PC and a $10 wifi USB dongle

Anyone have any opinions on the Trackr Pixel?

really depends on the deals you find. not a lot of boards have built in wifi cards, and wifi cards are only like 20 dollars so youll have to research

if youre going for small form factor you might not have room for a wifi card though. also consider just getting a chromebook or something, you can hook it up to a monitor and all that if you want. only problem with chromebooks is that they cant run ms office (can use google docs tho)

Doesn't Mom want a laptop so it would automatically have it? Don't make force something she doesn't want just to indulge your shallow Lego hobby.

is there a free torrent client that works on android that doesn't have adware n shit?

they will usually give you a at minimum guarantee. You wont see those max speeds in peak times, if ever.

I am a poorfag that wants to get into video editing, just 1080p shit. Will a i5-6200u/8gb/940mx laptop suffice?

You'll click around a little and lose interest.

Honestly, I never even considered doing that. But reading your question, I got curious about it, so i tried it out.
I tried the following and it works:
dictionary = {"x": lambda: print("Success")}
dictionary["x"]()

will print out "Success" to the console.
It's also possible (and easier) to just define the function beforehand and put it into the dictionary, but i guess you wouldn't be initializing it then.
I don't know if my approach is considered "good practice" btw.

ive been running arch linux on my thinkpad for a few years, can i take that hard drive and stick it in my macbook and run it without any issues?

im more worried about messing up my arch install than anything, since ive had it forever and dont even recall everything ive installed.

Does anyone have the video of trump saying awoovement?

This was my approach but I believe lambda functions are supposed to be small functions used for map() or whatever. Sure you can use it that way too, but I wasn't sure if it's good practice. I never actually tested it though so thanks

I know it would work with Ubuntu if they're both x86. Will likely work with Arch if you have a generic kernel and not one you compiled yourself to remove compatibility for no practical benefit.

This also worked for me
>>> def f():
... print("Success1")
... print("Success2")
... print("Success3")
>>> dictionary = {"f": f}
>>> dictionary["f"]()
Success1
Success2
Success3
>>>

War thunders locked at 60fps, goes up to 80 sometimes then starts lagging..1050ti and 27" 60hz Samsung freesync monitor (free sync is off)...help me get my extra 100 pseudo frames lads:(

Yeah that's what I'm currently developing with

Bear with me, all of my hardware knowledge is like 3 years old.
I've been using the same gaming PC build for a few years and was thinking of upgrading, I currently have an AMD - FX-4350 4.2 quad core, and all the suggestions for mid-range processors are for newer 3.2 six-cores.
I was under the impression that fewer more powerful cores was generally better for games, am I dumb?
Also, why do I see everyone acting like SSD's are mandatory now? I've been using the same HDD for years and have had 0 desire to replace it.

How hard is to bruteforce a zip password?

>I was under the impression that fewer more powerful cores was generally better for games

its still a little true, but ya years ago games sucked dick at using multicore processing so it was actually better to have 2 good cores instead of 4 meh ones. but nowadays intel is so far ahead of amd in their core technology that its hard to compare without just looking at benchmarks for specific games, you have to consider that intel has advanced caches and algorithms and all that stuff. which is why they cost more. but those might not actually have any impact on what you do, so its up in the air.

>why do I see everyone acting like SSD's are mandatory now

ssds just make everything snappy and they're so cheap now that basically everyone runs one for their OS install. can pick up a 120gb one for like 40 bucks on sale so theres really no reason not to, since it is quite noticeable but it doesnt affect games at all unless you play something like skyrim which has mad loading screens.

realistically if you have a fx 4350 i wouldnt even bother upgrading unless you wanted to move to 4k gaming or something. your processor is still really good. legit the only other reason to do it would be to get to a lower power cpu (your generation fx series is a fucking dog and uses a lot of power compared to intel processors)

have we run out of viable xena screenshots?

>but it doesnt affect games at all unless you play something like skyrim which has mad loading screens.
This is bullshit.
Games load shit from the hdd in to memory and then draw them.
Getting things in to memory at 550mb/s vs 150mb/s is a signifigant jump in any game type.

Now try doing this with async defs. Unexpected errors for me

>Also, why do I see everyone acting like SSD's are mandatory now? I've been using the same HDD for years and have had 0 desire to replace it.
Use one and then you will know why.

99% of people play exclusively multiplayer games which rely on everyone loading at the same rate. ssds literally make no difference here

>99% of people play exclusively multiplayer games
This is even more bullshit

Yeah, my processor is definitely what's held up the best. If anything I could upgrade my GPU as that's what's probably holding me back the most, but I'd need a better power supply as well.
I could also do with upgrading to ddr4 ram, but 16gb of ddr4 looks pretty fuckin expensive.
I only go for 1080/60 and I'm not typically playing super intensive games, but I do tend to chug in some badly optimized ones and etc. I kinda CBA to crack open my case to remember what the model is, but it's an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 1ghz/gddr5 2gb and my ram is 16gb~700mhz

Well, I think he's saying it can be negligible if the reduction is only a handful of seconds. You'd only really care much for the difference for games with horrendous load times.

I'm definitely not one of them, but that is a LOT of people despite his hyperbole.

Please I need it

Went against all advice and bought a cheap prebuilt to play wow on. Problem is that I’m getting no display when being plugged in. Is there anything wrong with what I’m doing? Everything’s plugged in correctly internally and I have no idea why it’s not working.

Any1?

Return it and build your own

check in the bios to make sure it doesn't have the integrated graphics as primary device

Return and build your own.

although, you'll need to plug a dvi cable into the onboard graphics to do that