It's fucking happening: android ROM history breakthrough

xda-developers.com/how-project-treble-revolutionizes-custom-roms-android-oreo/

> After 20 hours of work researching, developing, and debugging with me, phhusson created a system image that can be booted on multiple devices from different manufacturers and with completely different SoCs. For example, the same system image that I booted on my own Huawei Mate 9 also boots on the Honor 8 Pro, Honor 9, Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact, and the Essential Phone. That’s 3 different OEMs (Huawei/Honor, Sony, and Essential) and 2 different SoCs (HiSilicon Kirin 960 and Qualcomm Snapdragon 835) where this single system image can successfully boot.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/project-treble/trebleenabled-device-development/experimental-phh-treble-t3709659
9to5google.com/2017/11/22/oneplus-5t-5-project-treble-no-support/
stats.lineageos.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Download: forum.xda-developers.com/project-treble/trebleenabled-device-development/experimental-phh-treble-t3709659

Supported devices, with build variant:
- Essential PH-1 -- A/B
- Huawei Mate 9 -- A-only
- Huawei Honor 8 Pro -- A-only
- Sony Xperia XZ1 -- A-only
- Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact -- A-only

I just ordered a mate 9. Arriving Sunday night. I'm so happy.

Does this free you from the google? Or is it just giving google more infos?

Neither, it just makes upgrading more seamless.

It might be a move to kill custom roms, why would a normal person flash a lineageOS when their bloated but "nice" looking Android gets upgrades?

I'm a brainlet
what does this mean? will you be able install or develop your own phone OS now?

One of the problems currently with Android is that almost all of the manufacturers add their own shit to the Android versions they put on their devices.
This means that whenever Android is updated they need to merge the shit with the shit they have changed, probably bug test it and fix any issues before shipping to carriers to push out to users.

This would separate the Android base from the vendor changes (unless the vendor went and made deeper changes to Android itself) allowing updates to Android to get pushed to users without the need for the manufacturer to be one of the middle men.

Aka, actually get more than 3 updates through the course of a phone's life.

>What devices will get Project Treble support?
>All devices that launch with Android 8.0 Oreol or above must fully support Project Treble.
>All devices that upgrade to Android 8.0 Oreol are not required to fully support Project Treble.
>It is unlikely for any devices to unofficially receive Project Treble support via custom ROM development. HALs are not open source after all.
Is this method of development currently useless for any devices other than those mentioned in the article?

So what they're doing is writing a hypervisor for ARM systems, and then just having manufacturers run their custom ROMs on this virtualised hardware?

Lineage does get upgrades though. Every week.

No, it's a redesign of the OS.

Basically hardware interfaces are set up by the OEM, and then Android gets updated on top of it without requiring OEM intervention.

Think HAL in Windows.

Yeah, but it takes a ton of work by the devs to make it happen. With the new system, they can much more readily and rapidly update and get you the latest everything.

It also means they can spend more time on their software instead of trying to make ROMs bootable.

>what does this mean? will you be able install or develop your own phone OS now?
As an effect, yes. More importantly, this might lead to developments like a grub styled bootloader to be developed, which might one day make ARM variants of normal linux OSes possible on normal android phones

Imagine, buying a cheap ass 30$ android phone and running debian on it to work as a simple web server etc. This could be a great breakthrough since raspberry pi costs like 35$ and has nothing on it, while an android phone has a battery, charging circuit, bluetooth, wifi, GPS, internal memory, an sd card slot, 2G, 3G, 4G, VOLTE, a built in DSP and all those goodies

Basically yes

No. It's pretty much up to the manufacturers.

Any devices they are planning to update to Oreo could get full Treble support.
Any devices they aren't planning to update to Oreo are abandonware.

Wew, I knew there was a reason not to buy a new phone right now. That, and my LG G2 still being alive and well.

>inb4 OEMs hold off releasing Oreo phones because can't separate their shit

It'll take time. It's a significant change to the architecture of the OS.

Probably, but it's good that Google is getting manufacturers to set their shit up properly. I can't wait for an LG G7 to release and get a massive price drop like the G6 did. And then we apply the AOSP and microG to it.

Absolutely agree. Had to fucking happen.

Just need the OEMs not to be fags about it.

i wish they would just mainline SoC support into linux, so we didn't need special snowflake kernels for every device

If there weren't so many special snowflake SoCs then that would be a viable solution.

The pessimist in me (which is basically me, lol) is saying that they're either going to stall Oreo releases a lot or try to bargain with Google to do nothing. That and I don't know what the chinks are going to do. Manufacturers need an excuse to be lazy money grabblers.

I have a Nexus 5x with stock Oreo on it. Does my phone support Project Treble or is it only for special snowflake phones thus making this whole thing useless.

So, does this mean better potential AOSP support on most devices now? I'm thinking things like the camera will still have issues.

>tfw only ROM for your phone that's actually fast enough for your needs is stock

I still have a phone with no root support or twrp support.
Fuck me.

That's my greatest fear, especially considering that I use my phones for 5+ years.

I should have done more research befor buying this phone(lg g4 stylus)

>yfw nearly every Chinkphone vendors (most notably OnePlus and its owner Oppo) are sticking with Nougat because they don't want to implement Project Treble, which makes it harder to hide Chink botnets at kernel level

>20 hours of work researching, developing, and debugging

>20 hours
>for research, development and debugging

I'm using oneplus 3t and got Oreo update yesterday. But I'm outside US.

Xiaomi as well? I swear if those faggots don't update my phone to Oreo I'm gonna throw my phone against the wall.

As long as the phone doesn't ship with Oreo at launch, they are allowed to not implement Project Treble when they push firmware update to Oreo.

9to5google.com/2017/11/22/oneplus-5t-5-project-treble-no-support/

I'm stuck on Android 6

NOOOOOO!
My phone will probably be upgraded to Oreo and now you tell me it won't work
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Nexus 5 when?

In actual real, non pajeet projects
>20 hours for a project
>15 hours spent in research
>3 hours in development
>2 hours in debugging

>oh yes google, we will support project treble
>*locks your bootloader*

Enjoy the eternal OEM and Google cock.

sounds nice

Or you could buy a $40 atom tablet today and actually do the same thing

the problem with custom roms is that most drivers used on the stock roms are closed source so you end up gimping your device because your custom pajeet rom doesn't actually have the correct kernel modules for the hardware. that's why most xda posts are about X not working etc. custom roms are basically a meme.

>After 20 hours of work
So it was trivial all along?

So does this mean I should buy the Essential over the OP5t?

Yeah. It's a shame because some of them have many enticing settings, but stock just works much better on my device. I just wish Motorola gave people a few more settings.

Every year google releases some new plan to ensure everyone can have timely updates for their devices and they all flop.

This treble shit will flop too

To be honest I'm tired of being poor and buying devices that get only one official major release update a year after it has an official release.

Even a device like the Note 8 will only get 2 years of support and 1 major update. It doesn't make sense to spend more than $350ish on an android device. Either spend $800 on an iphone and get 5 years of support or buy $350 android phones and upgrade every 2 years. If you spending more than $500 on an android device you're a moron.

>LG v20 released for $800
>10 months later buy one new for $389

Then you should just get an iPhone on a plan like all the other poor people do.

I don't think I'll ever spend that much. Honestly I fail to see what flagship phones have that I could need. All I want is a fast phone that lets me tinker a little and doesn't have its battery drained in one day of usage. Though it'd be ideal to get that and something that had good custom ROMs, but I think that's asking too much.

The iPhones high price tag makes sense when you put it that way.

Just buy a 1 or 2 year old flagship for significantly reduced price. It's still just as capable as the day it was released. Mid range phones are a trap for poor people.

also I assume it means switching from one android phone to another will be painless (except of course any programs which depend upon specific hardware feature of the prior phone)

finally it might be worth buying a good phone and sticking with it, vs. any phone of any price bracket turning into obsolete junk within a few years.

might also mean a modular android phone that can be upgraded piece by piece might become more of a reality

Android manufacturers need release security patches on a timely manner and at least for three years, this would make me consider getting a flagship Android device.

At this point, I'm really considering just getting an iPhone 6s Plus or a 7 Plus and be done with it.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 is pretty good.

or just GPLv2/3 it all and fuck vendors.

wtf is with this cuck shit?

librem 5 better fucking work. I'm tired of this nonfree bullshit.

I don't understand how faggots defend android phone developers not providing upgrades by saying each phone is unique.
Android uses Linux so basically CPU and most peripherals are already handled there.
It the phone has some custom stuff they will need to provide kernel drivers for that, I have hard time believing those drivers would just not work with never version of android.

maybe because everything you said is true and they dont want people to keep upgrading old phones instead of buying new ones?

>In actual real, non pajeet projects
This does not exist
stats.lineageos.org/
custom roms are trash for a reason.
You should ONLY consider roms made by a team of white people.

because chinese people are stupid and linux at least makes it slightly harder to pull serious bunk bullshit.

device tree support has really helped fix some of the arm SoC bs, but linus being a lame duck not enforcing GPL on headers and nonfree firmware are serious problems.

>malware becomes even more persistent
Wow. Take a bow, 'jeets.

I just want to be able to update this tablet I'm typing on now running an Intel atom processor. Got a marshmallow update a year late and is just left out to dry forever

>8. athene - 30478
No way. People are actually trading a featureless ROM with good performance for a featureless ROM with bad performance. How silly.

the one and only time i ever tapped the notification to install a Lineage update on my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 from 2012, the whole system was vastly worse afterword and slowed to death.

I had to wipe and start fresh

>Chinkshit
>Factory loaded with commie spyware
No thanks

I found one that supports band 4 but that's about it. I feel like LTE will suck ass on ATT with redmi note 4.

You obviously get the Snapdragon variant and put LineageOS on it.

Make sure it had the most bands.

There are ass holes on eBay selling the Chinese version with the global rom installed and selling it as the global version.

So double check the radios.

You retarded?

I'm looking for a dumbphone I can take across the border without it getting searched, any suggestions?

tfw just got a good paying job and this new thing is gonna shake things up so i have to wait a while before buying a new phone :/

I have a few things I'm wondering about this. First of all, does this mean that post Oreo versions of Android are going to break compatibility with older Android phones that people may still be porting newer versions of Android to, meaning everyone is going to be forced to upgrade if they want to keep getting security updates? Second of all, exactly how much is going to be closed off behind the new vendor implementation blob and what are the chances of companies trying to push their spyware/bloatware that would normally come preinstalled through it (either by managing to have it directly in the original vendor implementation or via an installer like Lenovo did with their UEFI implementation a while back)?

>More importantly, this might lead to developments like a grub styled bootloader to be developed, which might one day make ARM variants of normal linux OSes possible on normal android phones.
WANT

> XDA
========PAJEETROM V1.333.7 UPDATED LOW BATTERY USAGE WIFI WORKS BLUETTOOT+=============
HI PLS ENJOY MY NEW ROM I MADE WORKS ON MY CHINKPHONE I MAED BASED ON STOCK AS CLOSE AS PSIBLE
WORKING:
TOUCH
> NOT WORKING
WIFI
BLUETOOTH
RADIO
SCREEN
KNOWN BUGS:
YOU TELL ME =)
ENJOY AND THANK PLS

this

Remember "project butter"? Everything was just as fast as before.

Anything from google starting with "project" is a massive disappointment in the end.

It would be neat if we used machine learning to create software that could be installed on any piece of hardware, and the software would teach itself how to interact with the hardware instead of requiring drivers.

I don't see any point to so-called "updates" as they never increase performance. I block updates on all my phones. They do what I bought them to do.

Getting a year old iPhone for 300-400 bucks or slightly less for a used one is also a good deal.

>DLing anything but Lineage or aosp
Your fault and your fault alone.

The machine learning software would need the drivers to run on the hardware to begin with, so this isn't possible.

The future is a big scary place, friend.
Filled with all kinds of things you've never even imagined.

Can't wait

n-nani?

It's for newer phones

So much fucking retardation in this thread, I don't even want to correct anyone. Like, literal pajeets are less dumb than a half of this thread.

I'm the OP of this thread and I have had to hold myself back from replying. It's just not worth the effort and these dudes won't probably even come back to check for replies either.

I was wondering the same thing, particularly the second part.

Any sony ericsson with only fast port like a W980 or a xperia pureness, bet no one has one of those ports in the border.

What do you want to know?