/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous: ?????????

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/LG2TsJ
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994197
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vRbdpb
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vRbdpb/by_merchant/
crucial.com/usa/en/ct525mx300ssd4
newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131717
pcpartpicker.com/list/pqTNRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/vYQJ6X
pcpartpicker.com/list/RJYw9W
gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c16d-16grr
uk.pcpartpicker.com/guide/KyTwrH/magnificent-amd-gaming-build
pcpartpicker.com/list/JXXFcc
pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/8rvZxr#h=3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How much does CAS affect the ram? The cheapest ram I could find was 16 as compared to 15 in more expensive ones.
pcpartpicker.com/list/LG2TsJ

What should I do with my extra 5.25" bay? Open to humorous suggestions

Fleshlight adapter

yo what are my options for a 1440p 144hz monitor? budget is $550 but flexible upwards if need be
don't want a curved monitor

CD drive converted into an actual cupholder. The cupholding part should fold down upon opening and fold flat upon closing.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994197

When are DDR5 kits expected to hit markets? I'm looking forward to drop serious dosh on a new system, and would hate to find myself on a sinking ship labeled DDR4
particularly with AMD making suspicious claims like the current socket/chipset being compatible with Zen+ and 2, while barely any of the boards released even come with specs fit for the higher end of current DDR4 speeds.

Does the case have any compatibility things I should be aware of when picking one, or can I just get one that looks cool?

When will Nvidia release consumer/gaming Voltas? I can't wait anymore

>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports
help? I need new sticks, honestly don't know what that means

Hey guys, any advice for my parts list?

PCPartPicker part list: au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vRbdpb
Price breakdown by merchant: au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vRbdpb/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($234.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($154.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($249.00 @ PLE Computers)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($188.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB DUKE OC Video Card ($599.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB White ATX Mid Tower Case ($238.00 @ Shopping Express)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($95.00 @ Umart)
Monitor: Acer - G257HL BMIDX 25.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($198.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $1955.00

somewhere on your motherboard's webpage there'll be a link to the QVL aka qualified vendor list
that's ram guaranteed to work with the motherboard

this is distressing, you can't just trust the compatibility check on pcpartpicker?
Also I've never understood how to pick ram. Are there brands to dodge?

Fish tank

pcpartpicker doesn't check that deep
there are other ram sticks that will work that aren't on the QVL, you'll have to dig through forums or look at completed builds to figure that out
i would say big brands are g.skill, corsair with smaller brands kingston, geil, crucial, mushkin
if anything looks weird, check out reviews across sites

Is this a meme?

> case $238.00
> 450W Gold PSU $95.00

You can get a 750 watt gold PSU for that price, certainly nothing less than a Seasonic Gold 650.

$238.00 for a case? Fucking kill yourself.

I'm also stuck with this. My system won't post because I have some Patriot RAM stick that doesn't appear on my mobo or Ryzen QVA of supported RAM

I mean, THAT is the problem, right?
My motherboard is ASUS a320m-k, and the CPU compatibility says it supports my Ryzen 1400 right from the first firmware. Mobo and CPU are new...
I ordered the Adata XPG Flame, which DOES appear in both the board QVL and AMD Ryzen QVL

Is RAM compatibility really that strict in Ryzen?
I'm really scared that I got a defective CPU. System just turns on and stays on, but doesn't post.

Get faster ram, it changes a lot on ryzen builds, also dont forget to update your bios , the rest is okay

>Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB $188.00

Or you could pay $130:
crucial.com/usa/en/ct525mx300ssd4

Also, an SSD is not "storage." It's your boot & applications drive. A hard drive is for storage.

> G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory $249.00

Should be closer to $160-$180. And, it should also be 3000 or 3200 MHz. You're wasting your time & money putting anything slower on a Ryzen build.

Onahole. Only answer. Plenty of room to install webcam right next to it.

and what about speed? just another thing I don't remember at all from my first build
like are you stupid for getting anything less than 3200?

ram speed is a huge meme, you really won't notice the difference.
3200 is more diminish returns.
Just go with a 2400mhz stick

Probably 2019, with mainstream CPUs with DDR5 support coming in 2020 or 2021.

Which manufacturer has the best GTX1060 6GB model, price/performance-wise? I really don't know which one to pick

>Is RAM compatibility really that strict in Ryzen?
No. The system should post with any compatible RAM. Not being on the QVL just means there are no guarantees that it'll run above 2133MHz.

Palit

The PC will be in the lounge seen by a a lot people so the case has to look good.

I should have mentioned I'm in Australia and our prices normally alot higher than yours not even including the exchange rate. I'll take your advice and upgrade to the seasonic gold 650 $150.

no, but it's fucking expensive as FUCK

my friend has one and it's fucking niiiice but idk if it's worth the price

>Is RAM compatibility really that strict in Ryzen?
no, that's outdated info
you can buy any ram and it'll run at its rated speed if your mobo is updated
QVL is just so lacking because they have better things to do than to test literally EVERY RAM KIT in existence

Sorry bro I should have said I was in Australia the ssd you mentions is closer to $300 here. Still think I should try and find a better one or stick with the one I picked out?

For the memory would g.skill trident z 16g ddr4-3200 $315 be a better choice?

I did the mistake to try and update bios from the windows tool. And now my asos prime b350 is bricked. Please help.
Tried to put a fat32 flash with a r renamed bios, but the crash free doesn't run. Tried removing all hdd/ssds and leaving just one ram stick, but nothing works. It just powers on and no beeps or video output.

The bios are software on the motherboard? Do I need to update these due to the motherboard being older?
Sorry I'm somewhat new to this.

I just bought a new z370 mobo with a coffee lake i5. The hard drive I want to use it with runs windows 7 and my old PC - from where the hard drive came from - doesn't work anymore. I only have a laptop on me. Is there a way I can update that hard drive to windows 10? Or can I still boot the hard drive with my new build?

Its fucking impossible to find 2x4's
if a number in the part number is like a 4 instead of an 8 or something like that, is it ok? Because I think the list asrock is providing me with is just going from the ONE stick model number, where the same stick sold in like a 2 or 4 pack has a different model number. Does that make sense?

Each ram stick has its own unique number model.
Even if it's the same stick, but 4 or 8 gb. Model numbers will be different
Usually the model number will include frequency (2133-2400-2600) etc and 4G/8G etc.

see

If I have a 1080p 60hz monitor and want a gpu for somewhere around 2 years, should I take rx580 for $250 or vega 64 for $500? I want high settings.
Would it be wise to buy rx580 and switch it to aftermarket vega in 3 months or so?

A 580 should be enough to run almost everything for at least the next couple years at max or near max.

If I get the minimum build from OP should I get the recommended 1080p monitor or something else (cheaper) ?

How much longer will my 970 last before I should consider upgrading?

>3.5GB

Memes aside, I'd probably wait until next gen cards come out.

Britbong here, anyone spotted any good deals on GPUs? Unfortunately i was too busy at work and too tired yesterday to look properly. So i might have missed something.

So far i've found a Zotac 1070 mini for £350, MSI 1070 for £375 and MSI 1070 Ti for £420. Leaning towards the Zotac, but i'm just worried the small cooler will be loud/inefficient

Does 80+bronze damage your computer? I heard some stoner tell me this once

Please help.

No

No, that's retarded. All power supplies are inefficient, and that's only a designated area on the spectrum.

im upgrading my pc, replacing mobo, cpu and gpu. im keeping the ssd though and i wonder, since i know you dont format an ssd. so do i just replace the parts and boot it with an OS installation disk inside the cdmechanic? will windows just reinstall and replace the ssd content?

second hand 1080p 60hz for like 20$

So I was gonna upgrade my PC to a Ryzen but apparently the Jews now own memory manufacturers.

there is the PowerColor RED DRAGON Radeon RX 570 for 181 pounds on newegg dunno if the deal is good or not

Going away on business and the battle station needs to stay at home. Any of you have some good luck with certain laptop brands for general stuff and light gaming? I can't trust these PC magazines

I was thinking of increasing the RAM and maybe get an SSD or another Hard drive any thoughts /pcbg/

Newegg are in the UK now?

what games are you planning on playing?
if it's stuff like Europa, prison architect and 3 year old games or more any laptop with decent ram and CPU should be fine

Thanks

it will ship it from the US i don't know if it's worth it or not ,i have no idea how much shipping will cost etc. but here's the link
newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131717

mostly older games, digital card games, no FPS

Meh, shipping is £28, not worth it. Especially if i have to return anything.

Enjoy your goy-sync tax.

I want to keep my AMD Phenom II X4 965 alive and running but my other hardware is falling behind
What is my best route to taking this guy into the next 5 or so years?

also i guess i'm a sucker for a decent display too

Whats the rest of the system and what do you plan to use it for?

That thing is like $20
If your other hardware is failing then it isn't worth it at all to keep the system

How good of a PC can I build with a budget of 557$
I will most likely spend extra for someone to build it for me

pcpartpicker.com/list/pqTNRG
just watch a couple of videos on building pc's, its not hard at all and its actually pretty fun
im sure someone can make a nicer build with that budget so wait for more opinions later

pcpartpicker.com/list/vYQJ6X

Some kid keeps telling me that this is what he is getting for Christmas. This isn't advice or anything of the sort. Just thought you all would enjoy a laugh. Goodnight, Sup Forums.

Is it a good idea to buy gtx1080 now? How long will it last? Can I sit through amper with it?

>spending more than 100$ on a motherboard
>spending more than 100$ on a case
>spending on a 525gb SSD instead of a 252gb SSD and a backup hard drive
>buying a GTX 1070 this late
>garbage overpriced 450W power supply
>investing on a 1080p 60hz monitor in 2017
>spending 250$ for two 2800 RAM sticks
Is this bait

GTX 1080 Ti gives you much more bang for your buck.
I'd get a GTX 1080 Ti just for the extra future proof at 1440p

GTX 1080 just feels like it's going to be garbage in a few year, a bad middleman when it comes to price performance

Any advice for this build? It'll be a couple of months before I start. Yes, I'll be rendering in 1440p.

Also I think I CAN save money somewhere in this build.

pcpartpicker.com/list/RJYw9W

>gaymen

How much does it cost for the things I need to build it
I don't mind spending more because it might be a good investment if I ever need to upgrade

How good of a PC can I build with a budget of $2000
I will most likely spend extra for someone to build it for me

Don't copy me you fucking faggot

fuck you

but i need an answer

>my other hardware is falling behind

This portion of your post needs to be a good bit more descriptive.

Which hardware can you keep? Which is failing? And how? Also, what do you want to use the system for?

A 965 actually has a lot to offer. I have one and it just won't die. Magnificent little beast that's been chugging along at 4.0 GHz for nearly 8 years.

>That thing is like $20

Nope. Refurbs are $60-ish and up, pulls start around $40. Found a new, sealed boxed one, was $85. And, they are worth it. Compared to an FX 4350, the 965 still beats it or matches it on everything important. It's better at single thread than the 4350. I shopped heavily to "upgrade" my 965 to a 4350, and realized it was a waste of money to actually step down slightly. I'd need an FX 6350 to clearly outperform a 965, and the 965 still matches a 6350 (even beats it) in single thread.

There's a lot of reasons to love a 965. And, only fools are tossing them or selling them off cheap.

I don't have extra $200 for ti in my budget. Choosing between 580 and 1080.
What about vega? Isn't it a little better than 1080?

16GB 2800Mhz for a Ryzen 1800x?
Got an offer for the same price as 2666.

Type it out differently

Avoid vega lol, garbage.

The reviews I saw put it between 1080 and 1080 ti.

Certainly 2800 MHz or better is what you want. Ideally 3000+. Faster is better. MUCH better for Ryzen; they really use the extra speed. Gimping an 1800x with slow RAM is counterproductive to your investment in an 1800x. I'm helping my nephew build a system. We got him a 1700x and 3400 MHz RAM. Went with 2 x 4 GB kit and used the money saved over a 16 GB kit plus crazy low price on the 1700x to invest in fast RAM.

Other factors are the brand, is it compatible with your mobo? What are the timings? If the timings are garbage you're taking an additional performance demerit on your premium 1800x.

guys please help

16gb 3200 for 1800x or wait?

32gb 3200 isn't on any QVL yet for crosshair or taichi. Unless someone has a good reccomendation for a non QVL 32 3200.

It's compatible. 16-16-16-36
gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c16d-16grr

Still not sure whether i want to fall for the 16 GB meme.

So the opinions here are AMD is trash and overpriced and Nvidia is virtually end of line and new cards are on the horizon.

What should i do? I've been waiting since summer to do a build when the pricing of GPUs took me by surprise.

Hello Sup Forums.
My computer is really getting out of shape, is uk.pcpartpicker.com/guide/KyTwrH/magnificent-amd-gaming-build a good meme guide? Something in this price range, plus nez monitor.
What's a good monitor to take advantage of it then?
Should I wait for the new generation and/or a drop in memecoin mining?

pcpartpicker.com/list/JXXFcc
help ive never built a computer before, something midrange 1440p

what if I want to make a programming/productivity PC ? What do I need?

Not much.

What did you get? CL14 or 16?

How can I find out without physically having the parts in front of me and trying to fit them, if for a given mobo, CPU fan, and set of RAM, if the CPU fan might block off some of the RAM slots? Apparently the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO can block off some slots with certain mobo's and with ram of a certain height, and looking at photos of builds of the mobo (Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA) I have with that cooler, it looks like one of the RAM slots might be blocked off, but it's hard to tell for sure: pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/8rvZxr#h=3

Does anybody have a suggestion of a good, relatively cheap (30$-40$ ideally) CPU fan that's as good as that one but takes up less space so I can be sure all 4 RAM slots are open? Are vertically mounted/low profile coolers not reccomended? These days most of the coolers people seem to buy seem to be counter horizontally from the CPU instead.

can I just make a ryzen 5 1600 build without a GPU ? Can I just get a 1440p/4k monitor with it ? I grew apart from vidya and just wanna code and watch youtube

get 1600
drop cooler
get a cheaper mobo
get 850 evo if prices are close (10-15 good boy points)
get 1/2/4 tb drive instead of 3 depending on your needs
don't get a blower card
remove the case and do your own research on what case you want. You might come to the decision that's the case you want, but then atleast you don't fall for the "it has good ratings so it'll be good for me!" meme

Hi Sup Forums, I edit 4k vídeo with Premiere Pro. Choosing between these two PCs:

##Intel##
- Gygabyte h270 gaming 3
- i7-7700k 4.2GHZ
- 2x8 DDR4 2666 Crucial Ballistix Sport

##Ryzen##
- Gygabyte AB350 gaming am4
- Ryzen 7 1700 3.8GHZ

##Common features##
- GPU 6GB MSI Geforce GTX 1060
- SSD 250GB + HDD 1TB
- 2x8GB 2666 Crucial Ballistix Sport

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

None of the Ryzens have iGPU, so no. If you're planning to connect a screen to it, you'll need a some kind of GPU even if it's something like GT 910.

>AMD is trash and overpriced
Vega* is trash and overpriced

rx580 is the best bang for buck card on the market
AMD just doesn't currently have a good 1440p 144hz or 4k gpu available while nvidia does

Oh did not know that. Should I go for Intel then? Is there such a thing like non-gaming benchmarks ?