Bringing Windows 7 up to date with the least amount of updates

I've made a w7 vm for sandbox purposes and want to update it the recommended way
also want to do this with the least number of updates, for OCD purposes

So far I have

SP1
April 2015 servicing stack KB3020369 (required for the rollup update)
Convenience rollup update KB3125574

Anything else I'm missing?

ps: Windows defender definition installed even though automatic updates was off - not a problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.oszone.net/thread-257198.html
wsusoffline.net/
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009469/windows-7-sp1-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-update-history
raymond.cc/blog/create-an-integrated-up-to-date-windows-7-install-disc/
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just get up to date win7 iso. Or black edition

Simplix Update Pack 7/2008R2:
forum.oszone.net/thread-257198.html

WSUS Offline:
wsusoffline.net/

Your choice, Simplix Update Pack is faster and better curated though, and can be integrated pre-installation (+ USB3 drivers).

just get the latest monthly rollup from here
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009469/windows-7-sp1-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-update-history

wu.krelay.de/en/

Literally this.
raymond.cc/blog/create-an-integrated-up-to-date-windows-7-install-disc/
All official files. Post installing the updates at this point is bad as it will bloat your install.

>WSUS Offline:
It was GOAT but it feeds into the memory leak bug and often takes over 12 hours on some setups.

Genuine question since I don't know how MS handles updates:

Why the heck does it take so much to integrate updates or even install them at all? Last time I integrated that pack with WSUS it took ages, I almost gave up on it.

The update mechanism in use since Vista scales really badly. After a certain number of updates it just shits the bed completely, slowing down to a crawl and eating ram.
They never fixed it either they just worked around it using update rollups so there are less updates in total and Windows 10 has feature updates that are really OS reinstalls starting the "counter" again

Windows XP can be updated from RTM to EOL with no issues since every update is it's own exe installer.
Linux package manages BTFO all of this shit.

>Windows XP can be updated from RTM to EOL with no issues since every update is it's own exe installer.

Shit I remember integrating those as well. I don't remember whether the process was fast but at least it was neat. It's a shame how they keep stacking a system on top of another on top of another, but I wonder how badly they would fuck up if they had to start from scratch.

See With SImplix pack should take about two hours at most on a HDD.

can you incorporate windows loader by DAZ 2.2 into simplix pack?

you can bootstrap it in the end of the process.

No

>and can be integrated pre-installation
I am quite sure you can do it with WSUS, it's just more manual.

You have to be careful what you integrate with WSUS offline, some updates breal the installation process. WIth Simplix Pack you don't have this problem as it's already curated what to integrate when done pre install and what not.

I mean in the ending of the Windows installation process not in the WSUS/Simplix update.

Op here

I want to do this with no third party software and with the goal of less bloat if possible as well as in a way that doesn't cause future updates to take forever (by updating the Windows update agent) but I'm open to suggestions

So far looking through some of these tools and the articles about them, I've landed on the following plan (although I'm open to recommendations or critique)

1. Get a SP1 iso - I've held on to my msdn ones I found for sentimental reasons - apparently there's a Heidoc iso downloader which downloads from Microsoft servers

2. Slipstream
>Sept 2016 Servicing stack update
which supersedes mine
>July 2016 roll-up
which has the latest Update Agent
>The Convenience Roll-up
Same one, no change
Lastly,
>Latest monthly roll-up

That way, SP1 will be already integrated, and the big convenience roll-up, the latest monthly one, as well fixes to the Windows update client as well

Am I doing anything wrong?

Femanon, how many updates do you have installed? I have 181 of them after I used Simplix on a clean install. Do you think this much of amount is enough?

Yeah that seems the right amount.

>Convenience Roll-up
Avoid it. It has the telemerty updates. Better do this:

First install Windows
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

and do not enable updates, instead, install these manually:

> [1] Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

> [2] How to update the Windows Update Agent to the latest version
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

> [3] April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

> [4] July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

Now run Windows Update.

>Avoid:
KB2952664
KB3021917
KB3068708
KB3080149
KB3184143
KB971033

Is Simplix available in English?

Yes, it is multilangual. As you can see in my screenshot, it is in English.

Cкaчaть = download

Noice. Is it foss? If it is, do you know where I can find the repo? thanks

this is why I said

wu.krelay.de/en

you dumb redditor.

-no 3rd party software
-literally TWO updates to download, install and windows update will work
-you can use it to download all the security updates. Windows update will not download recommended stuff and non-security updates by default.

I like your post.