Future of rust?

I just found out that rust's first stable version was only released in 2015, and since then it has been getting a hell of a community and been growing.

It really makes me wonder what this language is gonna be like in the future. is it going to be used in certain industries? or is it going to remain some niche little thing that attracts neckbeards.

I just wonder if i should learn it

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.rust-lang.org/book/second-edition/
jobs.lever.co/boom/9db030c9-5990-4a6b-9c5e-308a14998b93
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

IMO Rust still needs a major update like C++11. If that happens within a few years + if Rust gets a stable ABI, it may very well be the next C++.

I was part of Mozilla Firefox Quantum team and they built that thing using rust.

It was pretty good.

What do you think it lacks or does incorrectly in its current state?

user friendliness
richer std lib
more documentation of 3rd party libraries etc

What's the K&R of Rust?

Learn you a haskell for greater good.

doc.rust-lang.org/book/second-edition/

Anyone got an info how much Rust is in new Firefox?

Github

Firefox's new webrenderer is written in Rust I think. Does a good job too.

Nope, not hosted there. Plus it's split to bazillion _mercurial_ repos.

It was interesting to follow Servo development, but how they plan to integrate it to Firefox was/is confusing and unclear.

What's happening there?

Then download the source, pipe ls into sloc into awk and you have your ratio.

It's too complicated.

jobs.lever.co/boom/9db030c9-5990-4a6b-9c5e-308a14998b93

So is modern C++

bullshit. I LOVE modern C++ as a language. But C++ sucks when it comes to package management.

Yes.

Rust has already got a major update, it's called Pony.

Stop. Cargo is completely unusable for anything that requires custom build logic. It's also so hard backed into the language that you cannot not use it.

Meanwhile C/C++ gives you full freedom over the way you build your programs.

>Pony
The only worse name would be "furry"

And for 98% of your use cases don't cover that. Also, you can create custom build scripts with rustc, no big deal.

>Meanwhile C/C++ gives you full freedom
C++ gives you nothing, that's why you have "full freedom".
You can write your own build system around rustc if you want.

CARGO = cargo

CARGO_OPTS =

all:
$(MAKE) build
$(MAKE) doc

build:
$(CARGO) $(CARGO_OPTS) build

clean:
$(CARGO) $(CARGO_OPTS) clean

check:
$(MAKE) build
$(MAKE) test

test:
$(CARGO) $(CARGO_OPTS) test

bench:
$(CARGO) $(CARGO_OPTS) bench

doc:
$(CARGO) $(CARGO_OPTS) doc

.PHONY: all build clean check test bench doc

Literally unreadable syntax

build.rs

That's just makefiles for you

More like rust being unusable and unreadable piece of SJW shit with no real advantages over other languages and if you think otherwise you're a fucking retard

If you can't read standard makefiles you have no right to demand "custom build logic" and you're much better of sticking to just cargo with a toml file mate.

Did Rust forcefully play with your prostate or something?

>with no real advantages over other languages
1. standard package manager+repo

Out of C, C++ and Rust this is the best thing Rust got imo

Yeah and modules.
Although C++20 is going to get modules, libraries won't give a fuck to change over.

Call me when Qt gets modularised.

>c++
>user friendly
loooooooool

Can c++ do parallelism without mutex fuckery yet?

Enjoy no function overloading

This is a makefile

>t. python ranger

>piece of SJW shit

Not an argument

>function overloading

These "build scripts" are pure cancer. An unconfigurable mess full of hard-coded crap. And they don't even allow you to define simple shit like compiler flags.

If Go came with shit like this you fedora tippers would be stroking your dick how bad it is. But if Rust does it, it's the greatest thing on earth.

That's why the Bazel build guys are still choking on the Rust integration.

But Go is for webapp and frontend nigger garbage like python used mainly by Google otherkin, why is it even compared?

>An unconfigurable mess full of hard-coded crap.
>hard-coded crap.
As if Cmakelists are any different

But give me one scenario where you personally would be challenged to use Cargo?

Oh and I forgot to emphasize just how crippled these "build scripts" are. They can either define shit that should be allowed to set in Cargo.toml, or they allow you to autogenerate a few files, don't try to do anything else in them.

Stop pretending it's a build system. This
fn main() {
// your stuff comes here YOLO
}

is light-years behind autotools and cmake and shit.

>is light-years behind autotools and cmake and shit.
So far ahead that there 14 build systems for C++ and none of those cand handle 3rd party libraries, right

>is light-years behind autotools and cmake and shit.
Actually it is

>and since then it has been getting a hell of a community and been growing.
lol swift is in more production code after the short time it has been out than rust can ever hope to be in

>only used in crapple

Swift is only used in fartapps for fisher price toy operating systems, it's about as relevant as D is

Thank God it can't. Allows me to roll all my third-party C/C++ dependencies with Bazel and I know exactly what went into the libraries I produce.

Who cares about packaging nonsense, was never a problem.

Bigger issue is that retards(a lot of people) are using software made by literal libcucks planning on destroying the internet and web Google fought so hard to build.

>I know exactly what went into the libraries I produce.
Yeah and thus assume all systems have the same library with same version in the repo. Who cares if the compilation chokes to failure in user platforms.

Google is full of faggots and trannies you imbecile, and the only thing Google fought hard for is building a profile of you, seems like in your case they had no problem.

He was trolling.
Unlike swift, D is not a vendor lock-in language.

The lack of package management is one of the biggest failures of C++. And no, build2 + bpkg will never catch on.

>He was trolling.

And you know this how?

holy shit that took so much time to even download

Muh low level