/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=dqbPeuoXOWY

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

First for black Friday AE1200s

So now you have two a1200s, why? If I may ask.
You should get the a500 for maximum charisma.

Because buying the black one at BF prices was cheaper than buying the resin straps for the silver one.

Copy pasting from advice I've previously given on the subject:

The Lord Marvel 36000 was Suwa Seikosha's first attempt at producing a high-beat movement on a volume production basis, and it was a mid-range model intended to be a test bed for later creating high-beat movements for the Grand Seiko line. The experiment was such a success, and the Lord Marvel 36000 was so popular, that Suwa continued producing them for a decade. In fact, it was one of the last mid-range mechanical's that Suwa continued producing as most of the range switched to quartz. As a result of how many were made, they can often be found for a very good price today compared to other contemporary high-beat movements.

As always, remember that when considering buying vintage watches it is incumbent upon you to learn enough about the model(s) you are interested in to be able to judge originality, condition and value for yourself or you are almost certain to end up getting ripped off. Also of course keep in mind that any vintage watch you buy is almost certain to need a service as soon as you get it.

KEK
Why not get a leather strap for the silver though, it would look more sexy.

Post watches. Here's mine for today:
>Citizen Cosmotron wristwatch
>Opinel bladewatch, with DIY shellac-polished handle
>Zippo flamewatch, polished chrome

Shit, I fucked it up! Should have worn my lucky Grand Seiko signet ring today!

that guy has like 15 copies of 3 watches and that is his entire collection don't ask him why there is no reason.

Bro.
Richemont owns IWC, Baume & Mercier, fucking Montblanc, Panerai, ...
Anything you're going to denounce Swatch for, Richemont did to an equal extent at the very least.

And Swatch also has a number of Lange and JLC-tier brands in its portfolio that retained their prestige, like Breguet, Jaquet Droz,

To be fair, I'm going to eventually sell two of the G-Shocks, and aside from them and the now two AE1200s all my other watches are different models.

I usually wind mine before bed every night. It could survive for two days without a wind but that would affect the accuracy.
There are automatic variants of that same movement from the same time in the KS and GS watches. They're much more expensive though and more things can go wrong with them since they're automatic. They usually have a date or day/date function which is another component going wrong.

i got you

i like your seiko digital watch on top the speedmaster and the two seiko watches right next to it as well as the date just

>Casio a158
>Wire cutters
>Nokia 3310
>Pilot sunglasses
>Colt ligher
>Chesterfield red smokes
>More knife and sheath

What does any of what you said have to do with JLC, ALS and VC still being excellent watchmakers because they are left alone? Sure, Richemont owns a lot of shit brands, but since they never attempted to integrate them into a single production and distribution conglomerate, it makes more sense to judge each brand separately, as it does for Swatch owned brands that aren't integrated into the centralized production and distribution machine (e.g. Breguet and GO). However, the majority of the Swatch Group brands literally had their manufacturing operations centralized and were reduced to marketing departments, so a Tissot and a Certina are far more closely related than any two watches made by Richemont Group owned watch brands. If anything, it's LVMH that is closer to the Swatch model of functionally integrating TAG HUEHUE, Hublot, and Zenith.

>What does any of what you said have to do with JLC, ALS and VC still being excellent watchmakers because they are left alone?
The fact that Swatch also has such brands.

>Richemont never attempted to integrate them into a single production and distribution conglomerate
Lol, yeah no they just bought like 99% of all their movements from such a conglomerate.

I have not ever been part of this conversation and i agree with you but please stop engaging with this guy and just enjoy these threads. I am so tired of seeing entire threads of swatch male seiko male shit.

>The fact that Swatch also has such brands.
Have you ever seen anyone on /wt/ ever say anything bad about Breguet, Jaquez Droz or Glashutte Original? I've been here for 2+ years and I've literally never seen anyone talk shit about any of them. When people criticize The Swatch Group they are talking about Omega, Longines, Tissot, Mido, Rado, Certina, Hamilton. The group of companies that were all integrated into one operation.

>Lol, yeah no they just bought like 99% of all their movements from such a conglomerate.
This is trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea.

>Have you ever seen anyone on /wt/ ever say anything bad about Breguet, Jaquez Droz or Glashutte Original?
... that's my point.
That Swatch also still has top-tier brands, just like Richemont has JLC, VC, Lange.

>This is trying to have your cake and eat it too.
What?

come on bro let off it

Quick there are only 7 of us id yourself so people know you are not a dick

>fucking seiko males
>fucking swatch cucks
>and my Vostok has stopped again

What do you mean?

All I'm saying is Richemont and Swatch have both turned brands to shit, and kept certain brands in good shape.

The other guy is somehow arguing against this.

What would be a good (quartz) ana-digi watch with a rectangle case and where the hands are moved by a crown and not by a pusher?

i mean just stop arguing

That's me with my trusty Poljot De Luxe during Nip vs Jew watchmaking poo flinging competition.

Anyone read anything particularly informative of late?

This is a very simple discussion user, this is what forums are for.

I see one more G-shock I eat my cat

Is there a guide on how to use yahoo auctions to get muh cool JDM watches? And what about dealing with customs for non Americans?

Use a proxy like buyee. Just hope your ass doesn't get fucked too hard by customs.

Anybody from Netherlands or Poland got experience with it? I've been checking zenmarket these days but still think it's probably better to just pick my stuff up when I go to Japan cause of customs.

If you can afford to save up for a trip to Japan, you can save up a fraction of that money for a watch to buy there. Customs a shit

>inb4 le ebin binladen watch xDDDD

I started writing a guide to online buying in general. It's not edited and might need some work but some parts might be helpful.
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

How can I find another watch that has the good looks of a diver, 20 years of longevity and a stainless oyster band for for $200?

thanks for the virus

KILL YOURSELF

why would I kill myself

can you help me find another diver that looks as good or runs as long without service as this one?

What do you guys do with a knife on a daily basis, srs? I carried around a swiss army knife for a bit and i never had it be useful a single time.

cut things

>What do you guys do with a knife on a daily basis, srs? I carried around a swiss army knife for a bit and i never had it be useful a single time.

are you fucking serious?

I have a little leatherman knife on my keychain and I use it no less than 3 or 4 times a week, just opening shit and using the scissors etc..

mostly mail but i have to cut shit all the tim

I visit Japan regularly so it's probably best to just get stuff there then. Rather than for customs I'll use a bit more of my money for the watch.

>he's not paperless

mail? fruit?????

can you still get a nokia like that service, I have a flip phone...

not in the us

a friend of mine used one when his phone broke 2 years ago, so probably in the UK

att verizon etc all 3g min so you can get the 3g version or any of teh 3g nokia phones

I need to move

ill look in to it my phones pre payed and I dint pay so

>he doesn't tap into the value market of vintage chinkshit

I use the scissors most frequently. Followed by the screw drivers and bottle opener.

I have also used the ruler quite a few times.

The only time I used the blades is when I'm opening a package.

someone posted a Sup Forums meme watch in another thread days ago, can you tell me the model? you probably know, it's in the thinkfag pack

please don't tell me it's the watch in OP

its actually probably really smart

what did he mean by this?

Chinas population will continue to grow wealthier.

Nationalist chinks will probably pay a fair bit for vintage Chinese made watches.

I had an old Baoshihua but I had to gut it to save a customers chink skeleton Aliexpress-special shitter. I kinda regret it now.

Why do you keep calling omegas "chinese pieces of crap"?

I have a Speedmaster Professional that I really enjoy.

I tried to find pic related on Taobao, but all I found was deer testicles. Are there any other places to buy vintage Chinese stuff?

>Why do you keep calling omegas "chinese pieces of crap"?

Is that a fan?

shame to put a vintage tongji in something like that.

i found my seagull on ebay from a collector who bought it and got it serviced for his collection. hence, not really sure user, sorry

possibly. this one is never leaving my collection though

jesus christ. it gets worse

Besides maybe the completely retarded but nice looking Omega movements, Seiko's finishing is on par with Omega; minus the bracelet.

this is a new shitposting level i never though possible. You are now the cancer that is killing wt. Congratulations.

Couldn't you have just told him "unfixable" and left it at that?

mostly chinese parts, pretty low-end for what it is. are you fresh from reddit or what

please leave

so can someone give me the rundown on why these are so fking popular? they say the Seiko GS is pure unadulterated autism. the GS has NOTHING on these "GSHOCK's" insofar as autism's concerned.

my friend's a Moderator on this board. Choose your next words carefully.

why do you come here every thread, windyknob-kun?

>Besides maybe the completely retarded but nice looking Omega movements, Seiko's finishing is on par with Omega; minus the bracelet.

that is actually true

this is not your safe space. your safe space is a swatch group outsourcing factory in suzhou. at night they make FANMS MASTER SPEED

>why do you come here every thread, windyknob-kun?
just trying to help senapi

yeah sure grand Seiko. anything below that has an un-adjusted machine made movement and basic dials. So i don't even know what you would be talking about.

>yeah sure grand Seiko. anything below that has an un-adjusted machine made movement and basic dials. So i don't even know what you would be talking about.

I own no swatches but you are retarded

>un-adjusted

are all your watches adjusted?

Are you the actual swatch male larping as a seiko male

?

>?

desu the finish on a Steinhart is much better. and the ETA is much better than the stupid 4r36 or 6r15.

>desu the finish on a Steinhart is much better. and the ETA is much better than the stupid 4r36 or 6r15.

that's HUGE for your teensy tiny wrists. 47mm??

I would never get the windy knob but I'm starting to find this shitposting amusing as well. Send help.