TIME's #1 Gadget of the Year 2017 is the Nintendo Switch, beating out the Samsung Galaxy S8, iPhone X and Xbox One X

TIME's #1 Gadget of the Year 2017 is the Nintendo Switch, beating out the Samsung Galaxy S8, iPhone X and Xbox One X.

What do you think of this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watara_Supervision
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think you can fuck right back over to with your consumerist trash

>a phone is a gadget now
wtf
also

More like the Nintendo Snitch. Shit's a botnet with an always on microphone.

Sonegroid btfo.

Everyone who uses money is a consumer. Are you implying that you don't have money?

Yes, a phone is a piece of technology.

This kind of paranoia is why no one takes Sup Forumstards seriously. Nintendo just wants you to buy games and game accessories. Do you really think they'd waste the bandwidth listening to people's conversations?

>first console that's designed for both at-home and on-the-go entertainment

>grown men playing video gaymes
Soyboys will defend this

I don't have a Switch, but I'm sure there's some option on its settings that allows you to disable to send your private information to Nintendo.

>What do you think of this?
Nintendo nailed it with the switch. Regardless of what we think of how shit the hardware is, they made a desirable product that sells well. So yes, they probably deserve it.

>This kind of paranoia is why no one takes Sup Forumstards seriously. Nintendo just wants you to buy games and game accessories. Do you really think they'd waste the bandwidth listening to people's conversations?

>implying people have to manually sit there and listen to conversations
What's it like being stuck in 2004? If you're not leveraging your hardware to broker data you're being financially negligent. All parsing is done algorithmically.

>bandwidth
All the heavy lifting is done client-side. You'd know that if you weren't bovine in both appearance and disposition and actually sniffed the traffic coming from the box.

My dad plays elite dangerous, he used to play the original.

The Switch doesn't even have a built in mic, you need to use a separate phone app for voice chat.

The concept is decent. I don't like the price and the lack of games (sorry but no, Mario and Zelda is something that has been tried 750 times to sell consoles, I still want something else). But the idea of having a fairly powerful handheld (even though it's quite weak as a home console) is neat.

Well, it's pretty obvious that a new game console that only gets released every 5 or 6 years is going to get precedence over phones that are updated every single year.

I had high hopes for PSP component out back in the day. It severely disappointed me. Used it once, played for like 3 minutes, then said never again.

the only downside really was that it didn't output a fullscreen image, since it had no scaler (see pic)
but that doesn't change the fact that it has tv-out

there was homebrew available to add software scaling for a fullscreen image with a perfomance hit, but i'm not counting that since it's a hack

Honestly? i love mine.

The only downfall is the amount of half assed ports, it needs games that target the hardware.

The PSP go had a charging/tv out dock too and supported pairing a ps3 controller over bluetooth.

>supported pairing a ps3 controller over bluetooth.
hmm, didn't know that
i'm not familiar with the go's besides not having a umd drive (... i think)
i only got the original 1002, and later the 3002 (mainly for the much improved display)

You're better off buying a PS4 or a XONE if you want third-party titles. Nintendo's consoles haven't had a good amount of third-party games since SNES.

Yes I agree with them, smarthpones are gadgets they're pretty much useless for 99% of people on this planet.

Wouldn't the first one be the Gameboy? You fucking sonygger.

Are you not aeare we have non stop phone threads on Sup Forums?

>the Nintendo Switch, beating out the Samsung Galaxy S8, iPhone X and Xbox One X.
Well, the Switch is the only one out of these that's trying anything remotely new so

>my lowtest mom's husband plays vidya gaymes
>i am his wife's homosexual son

none of the gameboy's have tv-out, the super gameboy and gcn gameboy player don't count, while they do let you play gameboy games on a tv, they're seperate units for seperate consoles

also, i'm not saying the psp was the first, just that the switch isn't

-- according to wikipedia, this thing was the first with tv out as an option
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watara_Supervision

S8 and iphone x both do the whole 12% bezel thing which is inovatio. I guess

S8 has bigger top/bottom bezels but smaller left/right bezels.
iPhone has Le Notch.™

Over all it is much less bezel than we usually see and that is a good thing i suppose

>Samsung Galaxy S8, iPhone X
The current phones +1. We get new phones every year, nothing exciting.
>Xbox One X.
Just a regular game consol. As above, nothing exciting.

Out of the ones you listed it definitely deserved it.

>Soyboys
You aren't on Sup Forums kiddo, we like feminine boys here.

There's not even a microphone in the device, sonygger

>#2 Surface Laptop
This ranking is irrelevant

At least it's unique, and not in a "look we put a shitty notch in it" unique. Phones or consoles that are a bit faster are not special, especially when they falsely claim to be "4K ready" or whatever.

What a fucking retard

Nintendoes it again.

Children's toy

Time magazines tin foil idiot of the year.

>Nintendo Snitch
>Amazon Swindle
>iBad

Hi Richard. Enjoying the day's inane comments?

I agree. The Switch is revolutionary, all those phones are iterative at best.

It doesn't even have a mic, dumbass.

Your point being? PSP games were not really designed to be played on TVs, they look and play like shit on a big screen. It was just a gimmick that no one cared.

>they look and play like shit on a big screen
By what metric? Your opinion?

Going to say that about Vita games too when Sony released a dedicated mini-console specifically for playing them on TV?

Protip: Switch doesn't have a microphone or camera.

It's running FreeBSD. It's the most anti-botnet device you can buy today.

Your dad is a khv

Speak for yourself degenerate.
>tfw the best programmers are cis het males
>tfw people fall for the trannycoder meme

Fuck off back to /lgbt/, faggot

Not a gadget.

>running FreeBSD
Wrong. That was just a rumor before it was released. It's running some derivative of whatever the 3Ds is using.

what a fucking joke, it's a gaming cellphone with a dock

>gaming cellphone

>doesn't make phone calls
>phone

Seems like the right call.

I'm very tempted to get a Switch, despite not having owned a console since the PS3/360 generation. I travel a lot, and often don't have a TV, so being able to play "real" games on the go (i.e. not shitty cellphone games) is very tempting, although I'd like to wait for a price drop.

>all technology you've ever used was purchased
>that dildo in your ass was bought

A gaming cellphone with actual games and a proper controller that can't make calls. Seems about right.

id say it's worth it if you find it for less than current. doesn't have a lot of games but the ones it does have are worth it

The Switch has quite possibly saved the portable console market after the combined failures that were the 3DS and Playstation VIta that even with combined sales failed to outsell the Gameboy Advance (which was competing with the ridiculously popular Nintendo DS for all but 3.5 years of its life cycle and Sony's PSP for all but 4 years of its life cycle). I'd say it deserves that spot. I do wish that the prices were lower though and more comparable to what portable consoles and games cost when I was younger.

The Sega Genesis Nomad could do it in the 90s, because Genesis does what Nintendon't.

This

they can't even run fullscreen you double nigger

>combined failures that were the 3DS and Playstation VIta

3DS was a huge success

>As of March 31, 2017, Nintendo reports 66.12 million units have been shipped worldwide, of which 21.63 million were shipped to Japan, 20.11 million were shipped to the Americas, and 18.05 million were shipped to other territories including Europe.

It's called fake news for a reason.

>Nintendo reports 66.12 million units have been shipped worldwide
Which is still less than the Gameboy Advance sold (even when adding the sales of the PS Vita as well), and the GBA was competing with the next generation of handhelds (with the two major next gen contenders going on to outselling the GBA by themselves) after just a few years while the first challenger to the Nintendo 3DS and Playstation Vita was the Switch which came out 5-6 years after they were released. Just because the 3DS sold millions of units doesn't mean this entire last generation wasn't a relative flop compared to previous generations.