How to fix social networks?

Realistically speaking, how would you fix the current state of social networks?

burn it with fire.jpg

Let them die naturally and something else will naturally fill its place
Intervention doesn't help anything

Can’t fix something that isn’t broken

Easy. Just Delete your account.

it's very unlikely to fix them, they were designed with generous free features to attract people to become addicted to it, it's more psychology than tech actually, once it becomes addictive with sufficient number of users, it becomes a spam marketplace, look at what's happening now in Facebook, if you want your post to reach even half of your fans/followers you have to pay them, the newsfeed of facebook is the biggest scam in history of mankind

You have to make advertising a nonviable business model.

>it's more psychology than tech actually
This. The social media isn't "broken", it just developed to the current state.
Companies will release new apps all the time, but the users will decide how to use them.
We are living in a time where technological progress is changing all the time, and changing the societal norms with it. We have no idea what the social meta will look in 10 years.
Don't be angry at something just because you were born before it's release and widespread use.

that makes a lot of sense. facebook is one of the biggest examples in history of "you're the product".

Just wait for the next stock market crash. Most of their money comes from propaganda and the first thing to be cut will be marketing sector.

there could be a complete facebook clone that has no ads, no tracking, and 10x the performance and you wouldn't be able to get people to migrate to it because they're already used to what they use now. humans are stupid and rarely act in their best interest in a macro or long term sense, so honestly the only thing that could "fix" the current state of social networks would be government intervention. What countries don't use facebook? The only countries that totally ban it. Hell, people in china still use vpns to get facebook accounts for some reason.

What is there to fix?

governments are just as exploitative and privacy-hating as corporations are. In a way they're worse because its easier to choose to not use a company's products and services than it is to escape from the clutches of a government - typically the only thing you can do there is move out of its jurisdiction, and into the lap of a different one.

I'm not saying it's a good thing that government intervention is the only solution, I'm just saying it's the only solution.

It does what it's designed to do.

Delet them. They're useless.

nuke from orbit

>one user delete his social network
>a whole economic base on this shit system still up

I can't delet my account because I never created one.

The second point still valid.

Go back to Web 1.0-style forums instead of conglomerate websites like Reddit and Twitter. The internet needs to be something unique again, rather than an extension of meatspace.

it’s doing a good job of keeping the normies at bay. lets keep it the way it is.