Is it safe to store a bitcoin wallet in an SSD? considering that you can never fully delete an SSD

Is it safe to store a bitcoin wallet in an SSD? considering that you can never fully delete an SSD...

I mean, if I wanted to sell it, I couldn't because I can't trust that what was deleted cannot be recovered.

Maybe

>you can never fully delete an SSD
Why wouldn't repeatedly filling it with random data work?

Can't you just dev/zero or dev/random an entire SSD? If not you need to physically destroy it if it has something of value.

>if I wanted to sell it, I couldn't because I can't trust that what was deleted cannot be recovered
If you're at the point that you have to sell your SSD, you should probably sell your crypto first.

You have to specifically tell the SSD to delete specific cells. It's doable and nothing weird.
The meme that you can't delete anything comes from standard SSD use as the controller itself decides what cells it deletes or overwrites. Aka a normie meme again.

take stick out of m.2 slot, throw it into a fire, done

What?

You delete the data and trim the SSD

How would this not delete the electrons permanently?

Modern SSDs use some form of encryption to randomize the data for the purpose of prolonging life.
They all offer some kind of a secure delete utility that wipes the key. It takes a second to wipe the entire SSD.

That's what I thought. Same normie issue when they """delete""" an HDD and in reality only delete the MBR or GPT and don't realize data is still easily recoverable with basic forensic apps like photorec.

>selling BTC instead of deprecating technology
stay poor

What is a "modern SSDs"? I want to buy a Librebootable thinkpad so I don't expect "modern SSDs" (whatever that is) to work on it.

>trusting a built-in "secure" deletion program
No thanks. I would much rather trust third party proven deletion methods over a black box "trust us it works why would we lie?" Deletion method

Any SSD should work fine in libreboot thinkpad i don't know why they wouldn't. The most you might need is some kind of adapter if the SSD is too slim for the slot.

A "proven" third-party deletion method will wear your SSD and probably won't catch all over-provisioned space.

just encrypt the drive dummy using dm-crypt.

you ARE using linux right?

I mean what is a modern SSD that can be securely deleted?

This. Im just going to stick to HDD desu. Too paranoid to store Bitcoin on anything that cannot be fully deleted (maybe except USB pendrives because these are easy as fuck to move around if needed)

you can use a wiper that generates a large file of random data then delete it and TRIM the drive.

only thing that will remain are bad/reallocated cells which the SMART data should tell you about.

What worries me is the T400 will be slow as fuck to validate the blockchain if I encrypt it to boot.

What are the safe settings to use in dm-crypt and what is the performance impact on a T400?

That's still not going to touch the 5-30% of over-provisioned space that's managed by the controller and not user-accessible.

>selling a used drive
Who the fuck does this

>buying a used drive
who the fuck does this?

In what scenario will you ever have to worry about this?
If you get of the drive while it's functional you're retarded
If the drive gets stolen you can do shit about it
If you'll no longer using the drive you take it out back and smash it to bits

When BTC is worth $1,000,000 YellenCoins per coin you best believe you don't want your private keys stored anywhere you don't physically own/something you can't destroy permanently.

Also works for terminator cpu's which have the same m.2 format.

>putting bitcoin on ssd.

Couldn't even pay me to to tfsy. Let me know own when ssds have gotten better. Can't trust them now

>If the drive gets stolen you can do shit about it
Not if the drive is encrypted then no one can recover jack from it