/hrt/ - Hardware Removal-of-botnet Thread

Haven't done one of these in a while edition

(1/2)
Findings so far
x86:
For desktops, there's lots of C2Ds and atoms listed, but also some very nice opterons and apparently an iMac
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#desktops-amd-intel-x86
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#serversworkstations-amd-x86
For Laptops, you have the CD and C2D memepads
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#laptops-intel-x86
Purism doesn't do libreboot, but their roadmap includes this as a future goal.
puri.sm/learn/freedom-roadmap/
The last AMD chip that came without the PSP is Piledriver.
VIA and Zhaoxin Semiconductor apparently also make x86 processors.

ARM:
Obviously there's a shit ton of SBCs (Olimex, Beagle, etc).
For a laptop option with an open firmware, try ARM Chromebooks.
I'm dead serious. Open it up, remove the write protection, reflash coreboot with different payload (Not seaBIOS or Depthcharge), install loonix of choice.
coreboot.org/Chromebooks
docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eGPMu03vCxIO0a3oNX8Hmij_Qwwz6R6ViFC_1HlHOYQ/edit#slide=id.p
Inforce has an SBC with high-specs and an open GPU
inforcecomputing.com/products/single-board-computers-sbc/qualcomm-snapdragon-820-inforce-6640-sbc
Cavium makes some god-tier processors. Be on the lookout for that.
cavium.com/Table.html
In general, your biggest concern with ARM is the GPU drivers.
Mali is fucked. PowerVR too. Vivante GC and Qualcomm Ardreno are fine. Broadcom VideoCore is partial.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_graphics_device_driver#ARM
Some anons have reported that lighter environments like XFCE are usable on stuff like Mali without the driver, but it's not ideal.
One user said he couldn't remove the ChromeOS on his libreboot C201. This github issue talks about a solution.
github.com/altreact/archbk/issues/3

Other urls found in this thread:

raptorcs.com/TALOSII/
nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/power-architecture-processors
powerpc-notebook.org/faq/
embeddedplanet.com/product/single-board-computers/
lemote.com/html/product/
embeddedplanet.com/single-board-computers/processor/cavium-oceteon-ii/
sifive.com/products/freedom/
lowrisc.org/
lwn.net/Articles/738225/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

(2/2)
OpenPOWER:
Raptor Engineering sells POWER9 workstations, that may soon be getting RYF certification.
They're expensive as fuck, but probably the most powerful non-botnet computers that exist. Comparable to Xeons/Epyc.
raptorcs.com/TALOSII/

PowerPC:
The company that still makes this is NXP
nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/power-architecture-processors
Here is a project for a Libre PowerPC laptop using NXP, shooting for RYF certification.
powerpc-notebook.org/faq/
EmbeddedPlanet has several PowerPC SBCs, most using NXP.
embeddedplanet.com/product/single-board-computers/

MIPS:
The /csg/ of desktops. Lemote is a chink company that sells libre MIPS boards, using PMON firmware.
lemote.com/html/product/
A German user on this board says he is going to work with Lemote to resell their stuff.
EmbeddedPlanet also has MIPS boards with processors from Cavium with U-boot firmware.
embeddedplanet.com/single-board-computers/processor/cavium-oceteon-ii/

RISC-V:
Only SBCs here. SiFive has some.
sifive.com/products/freedom/
There's also LowRISC
lowrisc.org/

lwn.net/Articles/738225/

Ted Ts'o asked if there were any ARM Chromebooks that could be used as development machines; Paul answered that the ones based on Rockchip SoCs were close. Torvalds asked about the status of the Mali GPU driver; Bergmann responded that there had been one person working on reverse-engineering that device, but he didn't work well with other developers. Now somebody else is making progress with the older GPUs, but nobody is working on current-generation devices. It was said that everybody within ARM is in favor of solving the problem by open-sourcing ARM's driver — except for one recalcitrant high-level manager.

Torvalds said that, if the Mali problem could be solved, the community as a whole would be in good shape. Bergmann said that there are currently four ARM GPUs with good free-software support, but they are all older. Going forward, Mali seems to be the GPU of choice for Android devices, so that is the problem that needs to be solved. Lemarchand said that pressure is being applied from the Android side as well.

>it's happening

HOLY SHIT!

If that happens, then ARM Chromebooks will be an excellent choice for laptops.

Also speaking of ARM, does anyone know of some implementations of Cavium's ARM processors? 48 cores at 2.5GHz sounds incredible as well

Also, link added to the list

bump

Brainlet here. Could someone provide quick implication of this?

ARM is one of the architectures that we can move to to get away from the x86 botnet.
Many Chromebooks use ARM, and we can reflash the firmware relatively easily to allow ChromeOS to be wiped and regular GNU/Loonix to be installed.
However, most of these devices use a Mali GPU, which has a closed-source driver and no good libre alternative
This article is saying that it is likely that we will see this driver opened up, as everyone in ARM thinks it's a good idea except for just one manager guy.
With this driver opened up, reflashed chromebooks become a great choice for a laptop

Thank you user. That sounds great.

>hrt

>pro/g/ramming socks board

Options for i5 and i7 x220s? I heard coreboot might be possible but not sure if that's enough to fully "transition" with thinkpad HRT therapy

Is the x220 librebooted yet?

Coreboot is possible on the X220, however this does not get rid of the intel ME.
Minifree (a libreboot thinkpad seller actually owned by the libreboot project) had a page up talking about figuring out a hack to get the X220 librebooted, but they said they'd be done by the end of this year and the year's almost over, so who knows.

Fantastic. I'll wait and see how this goes for when I upgrade my laptop.

This T60 is starting to show its age in a few places.

One user in a previous version of this thread showed off his Samsung Chromebook Plus, and it could actually handle XFCE without the graphics driver. With Mali freed, it will be able to handle more.

coreboot+me_cleaner?

Especially when Wayland becomes accepted. Even things like the Pi responds well to Wayland.

Got some questions on wayland:
Can the clipboard be shared between Wayland and X applications?
Is there a compositor-independent way of doing that red-tinting thing at night?
How's the performance of something like Sway compared to X TWMs?

bumpity bump

I don't know to be honest. It's GPU reliance makes using it on my T60 a pointless endeavour.

>It's GPU reliance makes using it on my T60 a pointless endeavour.
>Even things like the Pi responds well to Wayland.
so wait the T60 is literally less powerful than the Pi?

For graphics, yes.

Not all computers are made equal.