/lang/

Previous thread: discuss languages, language learning, your techniques, conlangs, etc. also post resources

gotta remember to bump this edition

some grammars for natural languages (and some conlangs): drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk

related threads: (some spergs making a conlang)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3wV8B4bx1lM
youtube.com/watch?v=QE0MtENfOMU
youtube.com/watch?v=gxAtV_Btrtc
learnnc.org/lp/pages/6427).
how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12024&PN=1&TPN=14
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't have any motivation to learn languages other than English.

Won't it be a mistake if I redouble subject in a sentence?

To yam to dek be mashot - Both you and me are sitting

Nah, your example sounds natural, at least if you're asking about the english one.

five

;-; only two, i'm still trying to figure out if i should try learning a third language [but doing it alongside chinese would probably be disastrous]

五、伍、5、ご、ゴ

what languages are these last two?

Nipponese.

Those are all (used in) the same language
伍 is pronounced "ooh" though because it's stolen from chinks

I speak russian and belarussian (native)
Italian (more or less good)
polish (good enough)
english (so-so)
No, I'm not a language-learning freak, nor foreign languages student (I'm engineer actually). I've developed a set of techniques for myself, which allows me to start talking some language pretty quickly without learning lot of grammar etc.

are they just contextual differences?

or is it different writing form?

Question about mandarin; do i have to say third tone as falling-rising or can i just say it as a flat low tone for words like wo3?

have you tried yoyochinese?
they explain a lot of this stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=3wV8B4bx1lM

this video should help

all the characters are pronounced "go".
it's just different writing form, but 伍 is often used for money related things to prevent fabrication. you can make 五 (5) by adding 2 lines to 三 (3).

日汝誤我, 已吾之見

-重網

Why is arabic script so fucking cool, bros?

syriac script is cooler

Drawing was considered bad . so people with talent focused on mastering the arabic scrpits

Russian letters are cool to me.

>anime alphabets
wew

that's how we brainwash people into weebs.

you monsters

middle english:
youtube.com/watch?v=QE0MtENfOMU

That's pretty neat desu.

>(and some conlangs):
Which ones?

these ones

jan seme lon ni li kama sona e toki pona? tan seme la sina kama sona e ona? mi wile kama sona e oni, taso mi wile toki e ale pi pali mi. mi ken ala pali e ni tan ni: nimi pi toki pona li mute ala.

sorry i don't speak korean

TOKI!

post your favorite foreign language memes

i wish more people studied chinese here :(

> be last few weeks
> go on Sup Forums
> rarely find threads discussing languages
> be this week
> /lang/ and conlang threads are up all day
what happened here

i want to learn chinese

we caught autism

I'm finding it not as hard as people make it out to be. I think many languages have a few aspects of them that are objectively very hard, whereas Mandarin isn't like that. Instead of being a mix of easy and hard things, it is consistently somewhere in the middle.

I just think that Mandarin has a steep learning curve right out of the gate because you need to learn a lot of characters before you can start attempting to read anything, and it can take people relatively more time to get used to hearing/listening to the language.

i hear its easy once you get use to the tones
is it true

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

sina sona ala sona e toki mi?

enlightenment

reddit.com/r/tokipona

"len monsi jaki"?

That is one aspect of it. When you learn the language, especially early on, lots of the audio you listen to might be a bit slower than conversational pace, and it will be evident what tone is being used.

At an actual conversational pace the tones aren't strongly enunciated, so as a rookie it might sound like jibberish, but once you hear the different tones so many times you begin to recognize them.

I'm entirely serious.

also why aren't you writing in hangeul?

fil català

fil français

No se puede aprender una lengua.

et toi tu ne dois pas sécouer tes enfants

What is the worst romance language and why is it french?
Really, it sucks so much it isn't even funny.

Interlingua?

what is the best romance language and why is it catalan?

why does it suck though? even if you have qualms with the spoken language, you've gotta admit the written form is aesthetic as shit, yo.

Because I'm not speaking Korean.

>catalan
Poortuguese already fulfills the role of being the dank meme version of spanish, no need for more.
>you've gotta admit the written form is aesthetic as shit
That would depends on how many baguettes you can stick in your ass.

Other cultures have calligraphy too.

not your mom

Question to all you Russkies out there, do you typically write in print or cursive? The teaching thing I'm using is very adamant on teaching the cursive, and I just would like to know if it's worth anything

any tips for studying?

i used to write in cursive but switched to print later

cursive is pretty hard to read

anything similar to this for other languages?

Which one of you did this?

youtube.com/watch?v=gxAtV_Btrtc

Just stick with it and make sure to review stuff you've already learned (Anki can be good for this). When using Anki try having cards that will show just the characters, then guess what the English is. For the same phrase, also have a card that will show the English, then the hanzi + pinyin on the other side. The latter will be a lot more difficult, and actually gets you thinking about what you're trying to say.

I use a combination of ChineseSkill, a massive deck on Anki, and one of the links that gets posted in the OP of the Chinese Language general (learnnc.org/lp/pages/6427). Obviously start with book one and work your way through the lessons.

I don't have much of an interest in learning how to write, but I do find that writing out characters/sentences helps me memorize them much more quickly.

Start with cursive, that's what I did and then I took some of the radical forms like the cursive "д" and write is as a "g" in my normal English handwriting plus a few improvisations.

Speaking of handwriting, what's your favorite script, Sup Forums? I really like Tibetan.

How easy is the grammar and vocab for someone only interested in the spoken aspects of the language? I just want to watch some chink shows and maybe listen to audiobooks, not anything beyond that.

how to translate into English the phrase without losing the meaning:нaхyя дoхyя нaхyяpили? pacхyячивaйтe нaхyй.

dick dick dick dick

buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo

fucking fucks fuck fucks

slick iverson

Bump

No, I created the original back in late June. Was expecting others to potentially make more for others.

New autism thread pls come it's fun

Are there any more of these?

How the hell do you tell which one is indefinite or definite?
We don't have "the/a/an" here, so I'm a bit confused with that.

I would like to start learning a language but I can't decide which one. Norwegian, Swedish or Danish?

Living in Denmark would probably be great since it's close to Germany and it's very cheap there, but I've heard Danes are some of the least nice people out of those countries. Norwegian would allow me to make a lot of money and it's said it's right in the middle, like speaking Norwegian you can understand Swedish and written Danish. And it has the easiest grammar. But then Swedish has the biggest population and influence.

Anything more I should have in mind? Norwegian wins so far, but I don't want to realize after a year it's not exactly the language I need

It all depends.
Norwegian have weird dialects if you are not living in the south-east. So South-east you can get away with learning that Norwegian dialect and understand Swedish, maybe even read Swedish. But you might never understand spoken Danish that's in Copenhagen.
I don't understand the Danes when they talk, you get the weird feeling that it feels similar but also an alien language.

So learn something that floats your boat and what seems easier to pronounce.

I made a thread but got no replies and didn't see this so.
>How did you learn Chinese Sup Forums? I have a taiwanese friend who teaches me every week but I want to study by myself too. I find youtube videos quite worthless as every single one of them pronounces something diferently from the other and my friend. He teaches me using zhuyin and a bit of writing now and them but mostly how to pronounce shit. As I learned Zhuyin pinyin is easy too. I'm iliterate and can understand only basic shit. I have trouble pronouncing things (the dammed second tone) but I can diferentiate tones and similar sounds. I had only 7 classes to this day.
>>

If you dont mind mild aspergers this guy has a very interesting language log.

how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12024&PN=1&TPN=14

Around half way down the page he explains his process but the entire log is interesting if you have the time.

>Pimsleur
Fug. I have no monies that is why I use a chinese slave to teach .>tfw you will never receive autismbux

Learning a new language is actually quite fun, senpai.

Vietnom, a friend of mine spent a time working on southeast asia, he saw chinks being rude on temples, tourist places and spitting everywhere. You people only lile eacother when you hate japanese together?

Explain

انت استعملت ترجمة الجوجل حق,انت جلبت هذا نفسك سوف اقتلك و اغتصب نساءك

And don't even think about using google translate.

For the most of the part pretty easy. There are some odd grammatical constructs (e.g. 把), but the grammar is logical and a lot of the vocab is just compound words.

How big is text on arabic computers?

That looks so small its near unreadable on my screen.

You mean this shit? Cuz I just got to it today and it definitely seems weird.
Honestly dude learning to read is probably easier in the long run, since the hanzi serve as queues for pronunciations.
You could just do what I'm doing and make the spoonfed chinese cards into listening cards though.

it can be as big as you want it to be m8. but every site has it's own size, حبيبي that's Sup Forums size it's pretty normal and i can read it just fine.

Definite article is the on that is used for a know quantity of an object or that specific object. Like give me the pen on the desk.
Indefinite is used when it is not specifically known in location or amount of what the speaker needs,ex., give me a pen( no amount is know except that one, no location, they want a pen from anywhere.)
And indefinite article can start with a for any letters except a e i o u, and an is for vowels. This is done only to help allow the language to sound better versus having an overlap of vowels.
Ex.
She gave me an apple.
She gave me a car.

>tfw you want to study french but its the language of internatonal cucks now
Should I just give up and go for spanish?

The only constructed language that is actually worthy of people's time is Interslavic because it has an actual use among non-autists. Prove me wrong.

Spanish is the language of Radfems

You use spoonfed as well? I'm finding it to be pretty good so far. Do you think it's helped you a lot?

I'm starting Korean today and I don't have any experience learning a new alphabet?

Any recommendations or tips?

It's pretty awesome for sure, especially for a language like chinese where listening is so important. I'm only ~700 cards in though since i haven't been studying for long.

Hey Sup Forums new poster here. Can anyone tell me what this hat says?

شباب, it literally means, (guys dudes lads or m8s) or any word you use to call your group of friends, it's the most overused word in the arabic world i'm so sick of it.

P.S: don't trust google translate.

>hanzi serve as queues for pronunciations
Could you explain what you mean by this? If you mean that hanzi aids in pronunciation, doesn't Chinese actually have a set of phonetic characters, so only a few matter?

I'm actually not too concerned with Chinese tones as I'm a Vietnamese speaker, so I'm assuming it shouldn't be too hard to pick up.

I mean if you know 学生 and 出去 then you can immediately read 出生 even if you don't know the meaning, which means it takes very little effort to learn it. Basically it's like word roots in English except more useful because all words are made of them instead of just a fraction that happened to come from latin/greek

isn't it an absolute bitch to learn all those characters and the tones? I'll never even attempt to learn chinese because of that.

Meh it's all easier than nip

how?