/pcbg/ PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds WITHOUT a dedicated graphics card
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds WITH a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117827
youtube.com/user/CareyHolzman
youtube.com/watch?v=IhX0fOUYd8Q
outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
alternate.de/Cooler-Master/G650M-650W-PC-Netzteil/html/product/1088924
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113435
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I dropped my new cpu (with the plastic cover but outside the box) 2 feet below on hard tile floor - am I fucked or is it fine so long as it wasnt exposed?

>The monitor I just bought isn't listed on pcpartpicker
Nani the fuck

are SSHD's a meme?

Can a PNY 1080 fit in a carbide 240?
It says max GPU length supported is 290mm, but it looks way larger than my current case.
I have a bitfenix prodigy M, but I kinda want to change it. I was disappointed by the build quality and airflow. The carbide has a nice glass window to go full gaymen rice too.

No reason to pair a 8400 with a 1050ti, get a 1600 and spend the savings on a better card.

Redpill me on Ryzen

Don't get it if you're getting a 1080ti.

>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds WITHOUT a dedicated graphics card
Reminder that you shouldn't be buying this for browsing and netflix because of the power consumption. G4560 is better for netflix machines
Buying any current AM4 APU is stupid because Vega/Zen APUs are right around the corner
The CPU part of the A8 is so bad it almost bottlenecks the onboard graphics

I've got this fairly old prebuilt which already has gotten some small upgrades here and there. I've been planning on upgrading the CPU to an i5-8400 and I've been wondering if I need to replace the PSU (pic related) as well. I've been hearing prebuilt pcs usually cheap out on the PSU, but I don't know enough about them to judge.

tl;dr: Is pic related okay for i5-8400+gtx 960?

Rx 580 8gb are available now for 280. 1060 6gb 260. Are these viable options?

the 1060 6gb is, but it's a little higher than bf sales were

I currently have a 760, would I get any benefit from upgrading to a 1050 ti or 1060 in Arma 3? Game uses a lot of CPU.

sharkoon is housefire tier

So, skylake prices will drop soon, right?

Which one of you fucking faggots said I couldn't use Coffee Lake on my Windows 7 huh?!

How did you do it you absolute faggot

It's fucking easy, don't know why you faggots were crying wah wah about it not working.

Just use some common sense and find your drivers, they're all literally right on the web.

I don't believe you, you're probably using a VM.

Need help choosing ram and a power supply and cooler. I would like an external psu for this build if possible, i am going to put it in an nes case does it use standard ddr4 laptop ram

Checked

>6666
Hmmm, I have my doubts user.

Why are the coffee lake chips sold out everywhere?

>drivers
cpu's dont need drivers faggot only reason they say it wont work on old windows versions is because they probably get payed to shill the latest edition of windows

> using a VM

for what purpose?

Holy mother of dubs

I found a dusty gt 240 in a pile of garbage hardware
should I just throw it in the bin or will someone be stupid enough to pay at least $20 for it

forgot pic kek

cheeekkkdddddddd

So, did you use a PS/2 keyboard or did you slipstream USB drivers into the installation.

nigga I meant the chipset drivers you baby

Slipstreamed them in with ASUS EZ Installer tool.

Hm, alright, I assume you also used wufuc and it worked.

I might do the same thing in the future.

>ANUS
Not him but kek.

So I'll just use the AssRock installer tool from my X370 Taichi to install it on my 1700 computer. Thanks for the confirm.

No problem, I did the same for my brother on his 1700 PC with an Asus Crosshair VI Hero.

It made life so much easy.

Correct.

I purchased the EVGA 1080 SC2 iCX. It's clocked slightly lower than the FT2 iCX, and also requires one less 8-pin connector. Does this difference really matter much at all?

EVGA SC2 iCX:
>core clock 1708 MHz
>boost clock 1847 MHz
>1 x 8-pin
>180 watts

EVGA FTW2 iCX:
>core clock 1721 MHz
>boost clock 1860 MHz
>2 x 8-pin
>215 watts

I will give you 3,50 for it

Where do you live, I could give you five buck for it.

Intel was bleeding sales to ryzen so they pushed coffee lake from 2018 to 2017. As such they didn't actually have time to manufacture enough to actually meet even a fraction of demand.

Yes. Just buy a regular HDD and save a couple bucks.

Too late I'm already beginning its destruction

Updated this shit someone help with the psu plox thats all i need i have 6tb of 2.5mm drives to through in iff possible nut dont mind keeping them in their enclosures over usb

What the fuck man

Where do fellow leafs buy parts if amazon doesn't have them in stock?

in stock at newegg you sperg
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117827

Anyone that recommend some good youtube videos that help retards like me on how to set up a PC? I have all the parts just kinda need help on how to build it.

Phone camera is crap

Picture is cross-section of one single SK Hynix DDR3 128mb memory chips broken off using brute force

What's the bes thermal paste to use on when delidding a 6700k.

Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra or something else?

Also to rebind the heat spreader back to it suggestions?

If you want something long you can check out Carey Holzman: youtube.com/user/CareyHolzman

He shows every step in his longer videos, and you can trust him since PC building is his career.

maybe something that isn't an 40min+ long?

>weeb
>retard
Checks out

Anyway, check and maybe this youtube.com/watch?v=IhX0fOUYd8Q

>20A on 12V rail
user......

why is the ryzen stock fan so good

alright thanks will watch this

I want to build a crypto mining rig, I get 50% I spend on hardware back due to reasons. What should I get for ~$5k?

What's this I'm reading about Samsung and Hynix chips?
It's a lottery as to which I get, and if I get hynix then I get a worse product for my ryzen?

8 rx580s and a mining mobo
also a rope to hang yourself for being a cryptonigger

are the single fan 1060s safe?

Finally cracked the silicon substrate open
so this is what GPU chips look like inside

This wasn't even yours was it, Jamal?

Lick it

It is really good for a stock fan, but still loses significantly to mighty noctua

Is the heatsink too big for the case? There's barely like half a cm of clearance between the case door and the heatsink.

Final photo, this is the best my shitty phone camera can get

Technically no but it's from a trash pile

doesn't look very appetizing

I can't get a mining mobo, they/it needs to look like a normal workstation for me to get my money back

>"you wanna make sure you're plugging them in the right way or you're gonna have a bad day and break some pins"
>"I have broken many a USB3 pin before, so I am a little nervous right now"

Yes

Time to increase my budget then I guess.

What do I need to look out for?
According to outervision.com/power-supply-calculator I get a recommended PSU wattage of about 400W, which seems unexpectedly low to me.

Let's say I want to be on the safe side (taking potential future upgrades into consideration) and go for ~650W, is there any psu you'd recommend?
I found alternate.de/Cooler-Master/G650M-650W-PC-Netzteil/html/product/1088924 on sale which seems to be okay-ish but not amazing according to reviews.

It says 30A though, or am I misinterpreting the label?

does anyone know of a good internal wireless card? my pce-n15 was working in my old build and is now shitting itself after transferring to my new one

Is there any reason besides pricing to decide which manufacturer you get a mobo from?
>tfw finally upgrading

Power delivery
Firmware
I/O
Form factor

that's about it

forgot warranty

anyone who needs a psu for cheap go for the evga sales, copped a 750w latest gen gold rated full modular 750g3 for $70 including shipping
th

Aesthetics. I fucking hate red and black mobos

I might take black week-end to suddenly finally build my PC. What's your opinion on what a PS5's graphics card would be equivalent to? I don't want (can't afford) to go full 4k240FPS mustard race yet, just something that allows me to play current games for the next 5-6 years or so will do.

Any that are particularly good in general with these?

What's a good budget AM4 mobo?

Then I take it that the am4 mobo that's used in most builds in the OP has all that going for it?

i need help folks i bought a MSI Z270 gaming plus mobo with a i7-7700k cpu.
i don't know if i should get a gtx 1060 6gb like my original plan or a rx 580 or r9 fury if i can find one since the mobo supports crossfire.
pls i don't know what do or if i goofed. i know i shouldn't have but i can't wait since this will be my first pc build. budget for gpu under 300$, this is for gaming.

Upgrading a 6 year old computer (FM1 socket APU in hybrid crossfire mode) for someone who mostly plays WoW. Here are the components I'm thinking of getting (case not included as the old one is being reused):

i3-8100
Z370 mobo
GTX 1050 Ti
2x4GB 2400MHz C14 RAM
120GB SSD
Corsair CX550 (80+ bronze, 5 year warranty)
be quiet! pure rock (120mm) CPU cooler
..and a few more fans for the case.

Afaik, games like WoW mostly depend on the CPU so the quadcore in this case should do nicely in areas where there are lots of players and its quite cheap too (just over £100). The 1050 Ti can get over 60FPS with highest settings and anti-aliasing turned off from what I've seen on youtube reviews of this card on WoW.

All these components keep the price below £600 which is the budget. Thoughts?

What's with the angle?

What's a good, safe and temp for an OC'd R3 1200?

I got a Cool Master 212 Evo from Micro Center yesterday and I'm in the process of OCing the chip now. The highest I've hit after 15 minutes of Prime95 Small FFTs is 64°C, but that's on a mild OC of 3.6Ghz @ 1.3v.

I currently have a 980ti SC and $450 burning a hole in my pocket. How long do I need to wait until they release a video card that substantially beats my 980ti for that amount of money.

MSI B350 tomahawk

So I bought this newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113435
Would I need to buy a stock cooler? If so which one?

6 months

Remember anons, no matter how bad you are at building a PC, you're not as bad as Sup Forums frogposters.

I just ordered a 1080 ti meme. Should throw it in with my old i5-4670k build and give newryzen or coffee lake some time?

the wraith cooler it comes with is fine for regular use

Rate my workstation build:
>Ryzen 1600 (will OC to 3.8-4.0)
>Asrock AB350 Pro4
>2x8GB DDR4 2400MHz (will OC to 2933)
>KFA2 GTX1050Ti EXOC (will OC to 1911)
>Corsair RM-750 (had it for 4 years)
rest is irrelevant

Alright thanks. What thermal glue would you recommend I buy to use?

pretty sure it comes preapplied, but arctic silver is the best to do it yourself

x8GB DDR4 2400MHz (will OC to 2933)
yeah good luck with that fampai

I need a GPU upgrade, my 6950 finally died.
I have one of those 1440p korean monitors overclocked to 96hz
Is a 1050Ti good enough? or should i get a 1060
I felt that my 6950 ran the games I was playing fine on 1080p low settings

Alright thank you my dude. I'm just waiting for the rest of my parts to get here. I bought them all 3days ago but so far I've only gotten my PC case and Fans. Everything else I'm still waiting for.

GPU seems a bit weak even with OC.

yeah, I'd expect a wait til at least wednesday for anything bought without rush shipping. black friday is hurting shipping centers right now. most stuff is ~36 hours delayed

prob even need a 1070(ti)

1060 6GB minimum