Future smartphones

Assuming AR glasses don't take over (they won't), what do you think smartphones will be like in 10 years?

How much better can they really get?

Chip inside of your brain with connection to the internet and propaganda add-on

no OP we wont have numpads in the future

Literally this.

hopefully it has a community version of bb10

a see through slab of glass that turns into screen when activated

probs made of all kinds of graphene

used as a personal computer when plugged into monitors

better software hopefully

eventually replace the tablet form with a holographic screen

They'll be embedded in your anus if I have anything to say about it

This so much.
Hardware has improved a lot, but ironically software has improved very little, in some cases it has arguably gotten worse.
Most of the time, yes, it's a meme word, but it's the truth: BLOAT.
There was absolutely no reason to bloat software this much and make it so resource hungry just because we could.
Think about the web. When people want "the old web, with static HTML pages and nothing more" they don't want to return to 56K connections, Netscape, Windows 98 and 5 minutes to load a single page. No, usually they want simple, static pages with MODERN hardware and connections.
Most of the "progress" software has made is merely graphical. Functionality-wise, we are not much better than 20 years ago.

voice activated visible/invisible cloud of gas that can lift small objects and write plans on a small paper journal in real ink

This but with constant adverts

This but unironically.

Honestly, the old iPhone i have is a good model; a small flat, but not puny 2 by 4 by 1/2 inch rectangular box with a screen and cameras. The proportions just werk, keep volue onstant and you could add more memory in the same space too over time!

>muh android, samsung, apple, etc
fuck off, i don't give a shit about brand or any of that horse shit, you shouldn't either.
>muh ultra high-res 41 gorrilion K HD ultra screen with quad processors
what a bunch of faggots, having dealt to tech on a technical level i can say that you don't need a gorillion pixels on a small screen. Also no i don't support 4-bit screens either, don't be a disingenuous faggot pls.
>muh paper-thin phones that flex and fold
nothing but sci-fi circle-jerking honestly. who gives a shit if your phone can fold like a peice of paper, that serves no practical utility whatsoever, just like the "VR will be big in gaming" fags, you fags confuse novelty for ingenuity.
>OP pic
gay angular phones are about as practical as penetrable shields.
>holographic screens
see muh paper-thins
>software improvements
wholly on board with this. The hardware reached its peak a while ago and continuous innovations on it are doing nothing to improve it, its misguided at best. What we need to do is improve the code running on these monsters to make them faster and less bloated.
>muh super-neato graphene transparent screen like in gorrila-glass propoganda video
lol no, having a slab of glass serves pretty much no practical purpose. Ooooh its real neato cause you can see-through it when its not activated and it doesnt break andit uses graphene magic that user has no understanding of! see muh-paper thins.

And to all the "muh future" fags: fuck you and your gay shit, you wouldn't know practicality if it hit you in the head!

tl;dr - i, an angry electronics engineer, rant about how retarded you "muh future" faggots are. go suck cock somewhere else.

t. poorfag

>AR glasses

I think you mean, AR optical cortex implants

Quantum dots printed onto the inside of your eyelids so you can close your eyes and browse the internet.

at least i don't suck cock on a regular basis

Those laser speakers or whatever they are called would be neat. Basically always you to listen to sound without anyone hearing a thing. No earbuds needed.

Actually bitch, it's because of capitalism. You can suck my big juicy Jew cock, because I make money because of pleb whiney trash like you buying plastic shit even with your BLOAT

Wwwaaaaaaaaaaa hahaha fucking shitbird kys ;)

>the "VR will be big in gaming" fags, you fags confuse novelty for ingenuity

Are you implying VR won't be big in gaming once they overcome the various technical and cost-related challenges? Because once high resolution, wireless headsets are available for

Identical to what they are now, barely even stronger, mostly just cheaper.

There's no reason to expect the form factor to change. Smaller form factors have been rejected by consumers. And has gimmicky shit like google glass and smart watches are just for technophiles. Until BCIs are an actual thing in like 100 years, the smart phone is pretty much done evolving. Maybe in 50 years you can project them into the air like Minority Report or something.

>Obviously
You missed and confirmed 's point. What the VR and AR we have right now is a novelty. It's marketing shitheads grasping at straws. Retinal projection and brain/computer interfacing is ingenuity, not some shitty overpriced ViewMaster clone.

All of this

Those exist in the form of bone conductive speakers

Capitalism actually forces efficiency, so you can't blame bloat on it you kike wannabee.

I'm hoping you're just a code monkey, with no future in running a research group.

Get out of here, Ayylmao. This is an Earth board.

>Because once high resolution, wireless headsets are available for there are tons of genres they're highly suited for.
mind elaborating, i'm open to having my mind changed.

>brain/computer interfacing
this one puts me on edge, if its sold to market and fails you would cause serious harm ot users, and if it works then simple autists like me who understand the tech behind it could hack it wirelessly (because why would the NSA not want it to be wireless and accessible to them?) and thus cause great suffering to befall their victims.

>All of this
i like you

the future smartphone is a smart watch with a headphone, mic and USB 3.0 jack

Generic glass slabs like today, but with bigger numbers. Plz buy iphone 23 good goy, we got 2TB of RAM so you can face your book faster :^)

if internet connection speed increases and the quality of images and screens increase, 2TB could actually become utilized in the future. Maybe 30 years out though

Just imagine a picture of such high quality it takes up 500GB of space. Now imagine you're watching it on a phone so it physically appears to be about 3" big. Where the fuck is the point? Do we want to improve the quality until we can zoom in on a photo to see individual atoms?

>2TB could actually become utilized in the future
>Just imagine a picture of such high quality it takes up 500GB of space

Both of these are just random figures out of my ass. My point is that a facebook machine shouldn't need and shouldn't actually use anything of that order of magnitude.

Dude, the idea of cock sucking is living RENT FREE in your brain. Considering how often you air out the notion, I'd say you suck dick in your dreams every night.

if you asked a computer scientist / computer engineer thirty years ago if 2GiB of RAM would ever be practical for a consumer he would've laughed in your face. Personal computers at that time had anywhere 512KiB - 4MiB.

God, I'd be happy just to have a gesture keyboard that's not a piece of shit. Seriously, one of my dogs is named Toby. I don't know anyone named Tony. I've never written a sentence about a fictional Tony. But Google Keyboard almost always wants to insert 'Tony'. What the actual fuck.

The promise of 1990s tech has not come true *at all*. Graph theory has become ridiculously optimized in order to auto-suggest the person you chatted with on the bus today, but it's absolutely useless at fixing basic pain points.

Also, I will be elated when pointless UI animations die. I want excessive flat UI and animations to fuck right off.

That's not true. If you'd asked them what would be possible in 30 years, they'd have had no idea. Tech was progressing ridiculously fast, and with insane variety compared to today's "Facebook for pets" tech world.

Bill Gates never made the "640k" comment, at least not in indefinite terms, and the likes of William Gibson were just writing about tech in contemporary terms. They weren't computer scientists giving legitimate projections.

>asking a computer scientist / computer engineer thirty years ago if 2GiB of RAM would ever be practical for a consumer
>asking a computer scientist what computing will look like in 30 years
these are not the same thing

Moore's law was conceptualized in 1965. They know the deal.

>using GiB unironically

Fuck off, you platter-storage shill.

Yeah, sure, he probably would laugh if someone told him 2GiB will be reached pretty soon. But he probably could've seen the point of having more of it. I just don't see the point of improving facebook machines any more. 5" phones often have bigger resolution than my fucking desktop. I'm pretty sure most people now wouldn't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 5" display unless they shove the display into their face. So what's the point of improving it any further? Even if you don't agree that 1080p is the most you can make use of on a 5" display, I think you'd agree that we are close to it.

For past few years the parameters of phones have improved significantly, but actually it didn't enable any new capabilities. Facebook, snapchat, and google maps might as well run a on a single core 1GHz shit (okay, probably not because of the bloat). What we should work on are the basics of interaction with a phone. Phones just can't be anything more than facebook machines when they have only touch input. It's just so inefficient to input anything on a phone. Modern phones are consumption devices by design and I doubt any big company will try to change it any soon or ever.

Actually one thing that I can imagine that would bump the resource usage significantly are 3D graphics (like, 3D display and shit). I can imagine that, but don't see how a 3D interface could be practical. Also, not sure if it could happen in 10 years.

>allowing microsoft and apple to fuck your vocabulary
feel bad for you son.

Eh?

Literally everyone understood what KB, MB, and GB meant until hard drive manufactures realized they could market drives at inflated numbers by claiming they were X GB. Claiming that GB was defined the same as metric definitions.

People vastly smarter than you or I thought that basing nomenclature off base two was clever and accurate enough. Then HD manufacturers realized they could make a little extra money by misleading everyone.

Then the pedantic dipshits ACTUALLY BOUGHT INTO the XiB model.

Seriously, it's ridiculous that Sup Forums shills for this bullshit. Everyone knows what MB, GB, and TB mean, and everyone knows that drive manufacturers fabricated nonsense to justify misleading numbers. Yet Sup Forums eats that shit up because it appeals to their borderline autistic pedantry.

I have similar quwams, like if I type "e" instead of "a" by accident while trying to type, "I went for a walk" I fully expect the spell checker to correct that, but it doesn't. It fails to understand if I've left out the first letter of a word, too. "I eard you" will be changed to "I eardrum you" instead of "I heard you". This is unacceptable for a spell checker in this day and age.

I don't understand the absurd resolutions.

4K on a phone. Why? There's only one purpose for that and it's VR, and VR on a phone is shit anyways. If you're annoyed by a resolution of 2K on a 5 or 5.5 inch phone, no available PC monitor in the market will please you.

Heck my phone is 5.5 inch / 1080p and I can't distinguish pixels anymore.

Is it acceptable to rely on a spellchecker at all? Shouldn't we use devices that actually have some reliable input method?

The human thumb was never meant to do the things I'm making it do to type this post. Spell checkers are a necessary aid on any hand-held device with a manual input system.

My thumb handles physical keyboard just fine. The only problem is that the keyboard was designed for English and typing diacritic characters is tricky (just very slow when not using spell checker so yeah, I have to use it anyway).

Are you retarded or just stupid?

they're going to be exactly like phones now but with bigger screens, thinner bezels, higher quality camera, higher resolution screens, they'll be thinner and even more breakable but yet they still will only have a 1-2 day battery life.

This is the most likely scenario.

Honestly I see a potential for these foldable phones Samsung is working on. Maybe not for mainline but it could well replace the Note line at some point when they become high enough quality. Especially in Asia where they prioritize large screens, since it's often their only media device. The stylus would compliment this well, then add some kind of keyboard and it becomes a mini ultrabook, tablet and phone all in one

Amen