Do you think native 4K smartphones are overkill or will they actually make a difference?

IMO there's a limitation to absurd PPI.

Overkill. I can't find a pixel on my current phone.

i have 720p and it's enough for me

going much smaller than .5 arc sec at 1 feet of distance is just not worth it

it's overkill. Unless you hold your phone a few cm away from your face then 1080p even is overkill for the average sized smartphone.

it's just a pissing contest

Lmao

720p is complete dogshit, 1440p is the minimum I'll accept for a phone anymore.

ok

Enjoy your $200 knockoff android phone from 2012 bro. I bet you can see individual pixels from 3 feet away man, you must love it.

no, it's not a knock-off and it fits my pocket so i can't see the individual pixels

1,136x640 is just fine on my 4 inch screen/phone.
PPI > hurt durr big number

4k is overkill at the moment because it's a waste of battery.

it will become less of a meme as power draws get smaller from phone SoCs

4K laptops are overkill except maybe on a 17-inch machine

>tfw my hands litterally look like that except without the nail polish

wonder if it's possible to use just the screen off one of these super high dpi phones for a rigged up projector. would be neat to push 1440p/4k out of a shoebox

The eye can't see more than 1080p. Any more and you're just wasting battery life.

Get your eyes checked. I can tell when my Netflix 4K goes down from 15mbps to 11

What resolution is the monitor you're currently using?

4k screen drain really battery fast. And all those 4K devices still using cheap, common, lcd screens; meanwhile 720 phones always are OLED but better colors.

Holy fuck man are you on your man period? Motherfucker replies like someone was offending his religion

4K screens are fucking retarded. I mean, don't get me wrong, a well manufactured 2k/4k screen is noticeably head and shoulders above a well done 1080p screen, but...it's just....pointless.

I mean for christs sake, first off, battery life.

Batteries are new. If you told someone in the 80's that our devices and computers and cars could be battery powered and have the potential to last more than a few hours, you'd blow their mind. 720p is good enough for me if you can also deliver a significantly longer (2+ days) battery life.

Second off, GUI's just aren't ready for 4k. Windows is just adjusting to scaling with UWP, iOS can but leave it up to the dev as well, which is hit or miss, Android can't scale, Linux is ahead of the curve versus windows with scaling but also suffers from GUI wars so that's a little screwed anyways.....

third off, focusing on 720p, even (and especially) on pc's would force game developers to put more emphasis on physics and world-simulation, which makes for a better looking game than your petty fucking screen size.

>bitrate is the same as resolution
Kys idiot

my point in addressing those 3 points is that all three of those points should be addressed, before the industry should adopt anything higher than 1080p, in my opinion. And even then, you're pushing it. GUI's fucking suck. Windows in the shell (powershell) for system admins can be amazing, if that's how you prefer to work. *nix in the shell has been an industry standard for decades, no need to comment on that....but GUI's just suck balls. Fix our GUI's and then maybe I'd consider getting excited about a higher res.But, as I pointed out, that simply isn't going to happen on Android, and iOS...is...iOS. Vanilla, boring, bleh.

Mobile VR

>720p, even (and especially) on pc

Kill yourself

>can't find a pixel
being this blind

>Do you think native 4K smartphones are overkill
Certainly, it's a fucking cellphone. It doesn't need 900PPI

he's an appleologist
his religion can't quell the urge to jihad

Just found this before reading your post
sven.de/dpi
>For VR HMDs, PPI is rather unimportant, what matters is PPD after optics

I would rather have the battery life. I had the Nexus 6P and downgraded to a 2016 Moto Z Play because who gives a shit about the features if the phone is dead?

Someday they'll probably be able to make a 4K display go 2+ days on your typical 3Ah battery, but I suspect I'm not that unusual in preferring my device to actually make it through a work day without needing a charge.

If you have 19-year-old eyes that shit might matter, but I tell ya, 2K to 4K to 8K... at some point the magnitude of return for the battery life becomes questionable for virtually any reasonable person.

Anything past where you can't see the pixels is overkill. Just hampers the graphics rendering speed and takes more power to run.

just take the ultrasmarthphone pill already

anything greater than 1080p on a device small enough to be rightfully classified as a phone is a mistake

It doesn't change shit.

the s8 is not 4k you retard

That's not what your picture is telling us retard.

1080p is the perfect resolution

My first high res phone had 326PPI and that was pretty great; my new one has 453PPI and it's neat and all but pretty overkill

Kys

It's basically for visual versions of audiophiles with the "golden ear".

I just moved from 960x540 4.5 inch to 720p 5 inch.
Resolutions are meme to me. Couldn't care less. "Shit tier" dpi was ok to me.

Unless your phone has a 8' screen, I don't see any point in such a high resolution. My phone has a 4'5" 1080x1620 screen and it looks perfectly fine. Full HD is still the standard format for most media contents.

>4k
>wasting battery
retards