directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux
forum.level1techs.com/t/a-little-teaser-of-what-is-to-come/121641
stackoverflow.com/questions/43842178/ubuntu-16-04-wireless-connectivity-randomly-drops-and-driver-must-be-restarted
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wat kind of shit gen is this OP

suck my DICK

Stop arguing, somebody is going feed something destructed by binary tensor flow into DWave... I would care about that.

install source mage

Linux noob here, making my first minimal install.

I'm on Fedora 27 using i3 with nvidia binary drivers, and I have basically everything working except two pain points right now:

1) There's no USB automounting. I've done some research, and it looks like "udisks2" and "autofs" are two tools for automounting/hotplugging USB storage devices. In you guys' experience, which one is better for a minimal desktop and easier to administer?
2) Pulseaudio works fine most of the time, but sometimes there are clicks and very short audio skips when listening to music for a long while. I realize this is very vague, but could anyone give me some troubleshooting starting points?

I would appreciate any help on these issues, guys

i installed nvidia drivers at last in fedora. but when i reboot the first thing is the decryption window is all text, then when i enter my password it goes to a blacak screen with a blinking cursor and does nothing. Its fedora 27 with rpmfusion drivers

Where's the pasta?

up your ass

should i use gnome or xfce on debian

>no USB automounting
use fstab or mount manually

pulse audio is notorious for being hard to fix, I hope you find help for that. I'll pray for you.

Thanks for the reply

>mount manually
I've tried it out a couple times and it's not too hard, but it would be pretty annoying to go through that process every time I need to use a flash drive

>fstab
Doesn't that only work for devices that are connected at boot-time?

still working on the pulseaudio issue, it seems to happen less frequently now

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.
If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

>install void on x220
>log in with xfce, audio doesn't work
>log in with i3, audio doesn't work
>log in with cinnamon, audio works
what does this mean?

install gentoo

it means you're dumb

for fstab you can automount any device defined in /etc/fstab by using mount -a
furthermore, usb devices are technically automatically mounted by default, you just have to navigate to the /dev/sd* location. An alternative to this is to use a file navigator like nautilus which will automatically display the usb device.

I see, thanks. I'll try adding an entry for fstab.

Does nautilus or a similar filemanager use something like udisks or udev under the hood?

urxvt --background-expr 'scale keep { load "/tst.png" }'
works as expected
URxvt.background-expr: scale keep { load "/tst.png" }
does not work. I did xrdb ~/.Xresources of course.

Thanks, I figured that out and tried using an absolute path. It doesn't error. Strangely however the urxvt --background-expr command works fine for an image in / but if I change the image path to one in my home folder or on my desktop using $HOME/ or just an absolute path, it does not work.

>Does nautilus or a similar filemanager use something like udisks or udev under the hood?

I know pcmanfm does for sure. After installing gvfs, things like mounting and having a trash work as expected

/dev/sd* aren't mountpoints, they're device nodes

So I am now using Wayland by default on ubuntu, (partly because of tearing issues) but I'm having some frustrations with running gui applications as root. I know that wayland has changed the way this works for improved security, but several important applications seem to be unusable right now. For example, I can't use nautilus or gedit in gksudo mode (sudo doesn't work either).
Is this just a matter of waiting for the app devs to change their programs for wayland compatibility (as is the case with synaptic FWIU)? If so, why on earth has GNOME/RH not yet done that for two of their most important apps when they were the ones who moved to wayland in the first place? Is their some other command I can use at least as a temporary workaround. Short of logging out and starting an X11 session.

I have problems choosing DE/WM. Here's what I'm looking for

- Generic similar to Windows panel+system tray
- Actively developed
- Wayland compatible
- Minimal

The only thing that got close was gnome-shell with a few addons. I don't want KDE because its tools depend on each other too much. I am trying to be autistic here, I cannot allow that.

Does anyone here have any suggestion?

someone answer me or i'll fucking slit all of your throats

Depends on what you want, you asked an open question that can literally be answered by "install gentoo"

The kind that's started by someone who uses Mint.

Have you looked at MATE? It fits what you're describing, especially the actively developed part. I can't remember the default settings for it, but you can change it to be very Windows like with only a few clicks. Plus it's entirely GTK3 now

I actually have not, I just assumed that it would be basically a long term support Gnome 2, so I was a bit prejudiced against it. I'll check it, thank you very much.

nigga i can't think for myself that's too much work

SIr, please refrain from using racial slur in this forum.

I have a weird fetish, I want some select programs to put their config/cache or whatever they generate in my user directory in a different place. Is there a simple way to do this?

What I'm trying to achieve is that I want to prevent some random program to ravish the directories that contain the config I prepare myself.

Beggars can't be choosers.

I'll have you know I have a six figure salary and I don't have to beg for a day in my life!

>USB automounting.
udisks2 with udiskie

>thinking about leaving my T60 at home and buying a chromebook for traveling
Is Cruton part of the botnet? I just want Debian on a nice affordable laptop with good battery life and lower noise and heat than the old thinkpad.

Or you could just do the research yourself.

I was obviously joking. I'm here to get opinions from others, I've already checked my alternatives. For example the dude that suggested MATE had a good point, I had skipped that as a non-essential fork, but he pointed out a nice thing. It's not research, it's opinion.

>Is Cruton part of the botnet?
Yes
>I just want Debian on a nice affordable laptop with good battery life and lower noise and heat than the old thinkpad.
Get any cheapo netbook (hp stream, acer 1, asus ee) and install distro of choice. Just avoid anything Windows S branded because they're locked down a thousand times over.

>running GUI applications as root

I stopped reading. Seriously. Don't fucking do that.

Stop making your life intentionally difficult, jesus.

>chromebook linux
please do not fall for this meme, gallium is trash and so are botnetbooks

Does ubuntu 16.04(server, in particular) has systemd only as init system or it also has init.d with systemd wrapper like debian8 had? Also, is there any downsides in using 17.10 on home server instead of 16.04, considering i don't really need that much of stability.

Hello anons, question from someone new to linux.

I installed Ubuntu 17.10 and currently trying to get my Wifi adapter driver installed. Keep in mind I have no access to the internet outside of wi-fi so I can't just install packages and call it a day. I have the driver (both as a .deb and the files to be compiled) but when I try to install the .deb I get dependency errors and when I try to compile the driver and install it I also can't do it because I need the build-essential package to use "make".

Any help would be appreciated, if it's better to install a different distro feel free to recommend me any!

gnome is shit
i like cinnamon
xfce is objectively the best

In my pockets

Use KDE.

Looks like you'll have to manually resolve the dependencies.
I haven't used dpkg in ages, but if you look through its manpage there should be a command/switch to show package's dependencies.
Then manually download the packages from the repo (most have http or ftp interface so you can use a browser), copy them to your Ubuntu and install them.
Keep in mind that some of the packages probably have dependencies of their own, so you'll need to do this "recursively".

For those of you using Arch:
Can you install Nomacs, run it from a terminal emulator, close it and see if you get a lot of profiling: cannot create errors printed?

You can install your drivers while gentoo installation

Is this your first day on here you fucking retard? Did you come from Encylopedia Dramatica and did you just discover retarded catchphrases or as you call them "memes"? Fucking disconnect yourself from the internet, you fucking retard with your obnoxious, spouted to oblivion memes. Someone should start a crowd-funded action to pay your local ISPs not to give you internet access.

>shilling that piece of trash called Mint

man 1 urxvt-background

So I was playing around with this. Set a blur to 4x4 because why not, X looped with 100% cpu to a point where only reisub helped.

Lesson learned (man page actually mentions that blur may take ages). blur 20 however is fine.

ikr, just looking at the OP I felt temptation.

Hey as long as it helps beginners making their feet wet with GNU/Linux, why the hell not.

Pulseaudio sucks donkey balls. Use ALSA where possible

Showcase distro, backdoored ISO's, account leaks, frankendebian

Still better than Windows.

How goes the progress to remove gcc dependency from the linux kernel?

What's the best just werks distro?

I don't care about DE or being pretty anymore. I'm fed up of tweaking xubuntu trying to make it pretty and not shit. Screen tearing. Wifi problems. It doesn't work.

Is debian more likely to have better wifi drivers or will they just be the same as the ubuntu ones? My understanding is that its even further upstream so should be solid as a rock? What about fedora or centos?

I'll probably run i3 just because I'm sick of troubleshooting bugs. I just want a web browser, good terminal, and maybe open office. And the ability to run HD videos locally or on youtube.

Mint

debian is awful for wireless, drivers won't come on the install media due to lots of them being non-free

I'll install it myself if it's a one time thing. The impression I get from ubuntu and mint quite often is that they try and hide the complexity from you and actually make it harder to fix or change things because they tried to do it for you and fucked it up.

DId you know you can't disable mouse acceleration for example, because another checkbox in the settings would confuse the poor user and I couldn't see an easy way to do it through other means when I last looked

If mint has matured now I may give it another shot.

Excellent argument. Very convincing.

I want to make some CDs. What programs are available to create the booklet and the front and back of the case and print them?

>What's the best just werks distro?
Debian
>I don't care about DE or being pretty anymore.
Unironically get i3, it's a great experience
>I'm fed up of tweaking xubuntu trying to make it pretty and not shit.
See above
>Screen tearing.
Compton.
>Wifi problems. It doesn't work.
Debian + non-free repos
>Is debian more likely to have better wifi drivers or will they just be the samex64, x86_64, as the ubuntu ones?
The same afaik.
>My understanding is that its even further upstream so should be solid as a rock?
True. If you want a rolling release go for unstable, skip testing, it's shit.
>What about fedora or centos?
Never tried it.
>I'll probably run i3 just because I'm sick of troubleshooting bugs.
Great decision. You'll love the way it handles multiple monitors (the reason I switched), modes and the way your screen real estate magically increases.

there is no pasta in the weebs only edition

thanks but i will go with void linux

Dude, there is a link to the non-free isos on the official website, it's even the reason debian is not rms approved.

its not rms approved beacuse it holds the non-free repos in the same servers as the free ones

# xbps-install alsa-utils
$ alsamixer
-> unmute master
# xbps-install xfce4-mixer
add xfce mixer to status bar

Yeah, I remembered wrongly. But they do link to the non-free ones and even recommend them for people unfamiliar with the hardware they're installing on. So there's really no excuse for
>debian does not work with my wifi card

forum.level1techs.com/t/a-little-teaser-of-what-is-to-come/121641

Anyone attempt this yet?

Well on xubuntu its not that it doesn't work but that it drops like clockwork every 5 minutes. Like this:

stackoverflow.com/questions/43842178/ubuntu-16-04-wireless-connectivity-randomly-drops-and-driver-must-be-restarted

Bogpill me on non-free firmwares /fglt/

Are they really that bad/should be avoided as fsf/gnu/stallman/libreboot makes it look like?

they're not bad in the sense that they're necessarily malware, just in the sense that they're non-free
you can't avoid them without losing the ability to use certain hardware, so pick your poison

why did you come into fglt just to post dont care

But if you have a piece of hardware that suppports free firmware on one platform, it's likely to support a lot of platforms, including obscure ones.

NO SUCH THING

>You treat them different because it is convenient for your agenda of
>hatred against groups of people who, with a lot less donation money,
>actually suceed at making full operating systems.

>You treat these issues different because you are a hypocrite.

>I am going to ask some of the ports people to make the ports system
>point at a few more proprietary and non-free pieces of software.
>In honour of your hypocrisy.

>How convenient for your hypocrisy.

>It is lying, and it is hypocrisy.

>You are a slime who changes his position as he needs.

>You may have had value ten years ago, but people will see that you don't
>anymore.
I feel like Theo has reservations towards Stallman, but I can't put my finger on it.

>ded os ded thread

GNU/Bump

linux noob on fedora 27 dual-booted with windows
I have an ntfs partition created on windows to serve as a common file storage for both OSes but I need elevated privileges to for read/write. How do I get rid of the need for elevated privileges?

1. install ntfs-3g (chances that you already have it installed, you are just using the kernel level ntfs driver)
2. when mounting it manually or via fstab specify fs type as ntfs-3g and rw in options

Any recommendations for a module player with support for many tracker formats?

Module player?

A player for playing tracker music (chiptunes made on different oldschool platforms using trackers like pic related).

Where the fuck is the copypaste you bastard?

there's zxplayer for android which supports many formats

Milkytracker

What a useless suggestion.

>thread dies regulary
>nobody is arsed to make new threads
>thread content is basically memes + install gentoo
What happened?

Try xmp.

Well, but I want a player for GNU/Linux, not Android/Linux.
>xmp
Will try.
That's actually the tracker I use for +making+ tunes, but for playback different formats? Didn't try. Will do.

I've used linux for 15 years and am loving mint.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>I am 15 years old and just installed Mint, ph34r |\/|y $k!llz

Fuck me. Thanks for catching that bro.

Could you elaborate why you love Mint? What makes it better compared to other distros?

It all just works, doesn't have much stuff in the default install I don't use, and the cinnamon is nice and comfy.

Showcase distro, account leaks, frankendebian, but at least it's never been backdoored! Oh, wait...

good theme for xfce interface? linux nub here, sorry for being a literal shit

I added those options and now it seems like the mounted folder is owned by root. How do I fix this?