/mkg/ Proper Placement Edition

>Buyer's template:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

massdrop.com/vote/Favorite-Cherry-MX-Style-Switch/result
massdrop.com/buy/z70-mechanical-keyboard?
candykeys.com/southpaw-65-extended/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

tactical bump

Reposting because last thread died

I have a Budget of 150$

Typer/coder (non-gamer)

Cherry blue switch

WHY

What:s the name of that board? I keep forgetting.

I use a pok3r with mx clears and I half press instead of bottoming out. Would zealancio clips even do anything with half pressing?

Ducky One 2

Layout?
If TKL, Leopold FC750R. Get the new PD version with better keycaps.

They also dampen the upstroke

Its the Leopold majestouch VA85 Pro One

Whats the best MX switch? Jailhouse Blues? Jailhouse Greens? Kailh Box White? Mod-H?
Thread needs more activity.

Got this coming on Wednesday with cherry clears, my first tactile switch in 7 years of mechanical keyboards.
Oh and does anyone know what I should expect keycap quality wise? They're doubleshot pbt but I'm still hoping they're not crap because I don't want to sink another $80-100 in keycaps for it but I will if I have to.

id say cherry mx clear switches, if you dont mind a heavy switch

CM Masterkeys PBT S with $80 enjoypbt keycaps of your choice.

Second this.

ergo clears if you have the autism for it

I had a coolermaster quickfire rapid i which i broke in 2 years. thirst is a bitch. in that time i found it to be quite nice
i bought a coolermaster masterkeys pro s rgb , waiting for to arrive. it has brown switches just like the rapid i. Did I fuck up?

It was this thread that convinced me to get clears as I was going to go with one of the new kailh switches. You know many people say that there are a couple of better tactile switches though. Ergoclear, jailhouse blue, zealio, etc are all pretty highly regarded. I think this thread hates zealio though

/mkg/ hates zealios cause he cucked gateron

oh i have never tried any of those other switches you mentioned. i would think that regular cherry mx clears would be more tactile than ergo clears. but in my experience i like cherry mx clear switches the best out of all switches because its a heavy tactile switch, cherry switches have a very consistent amount of force needed to push them down(i cant notice any difference between keys unlike on buckling springs), and you can get it on rather modern keyboards and therefore have nkro.
i like the idea of buckling springs slightly better than clears honestly because i really like the noise it makes, but the problem with those is 2kro, good keyboards with it are old as fuck and kinda hard to find and will probably require some work done to fix them, or if you want to buy from unicomp, it doesnt sound as good as the ibm model m and the spring force is inconsistent as fuck between keys, and also for the fact that if one key isnt working you will probably have to take apart the entire keyboard and boltmod it back together if it isnt already.

Just wanted to post my Model M. As you can see I use Dvorak and it's been a joy to use in the months I've had it. I really digging the sound and feel.

What are the two buttons at the bottom? Are those left and right clicks? I never noticed these on Model M's.

Yeah, there was a track point mouse in the center but in order to rearrange the keys I took it out. I also only have one PS/2 slot on my mobo. Not a fan of track points anyway. They're fun to click at least.

Oh nice, I love trackpoints since I've been working more with them lately. It's not too bad when it's on a laptop but at a desktop environment I feel like it's unneeded. With a laptop you wanna make it as portable as possible and still comfortable so it's a good solution. But at a desk you have a lot of room so shit don't matter

why dont you just get used to qwerty?

>keypad on left side
Why was this not the default placement?

You see in the old days there were no mice and nav clusters so having the numpad on the left was fine. Shit changed but no one bothered to update the design since it was too costly

I never liked it when I was growing up, it didn't make sense to me. Dvorak makes sense to me, and now that switching any computer is easier than ever I never find myself needing to use qwerty except on other peoples' phones. Dvorak always feels good to type on to me, even if I'm not the best at it.

MODs are ego clears without the autism, they just require your autism bux.

Most people are right handed

what is the best kind of keyboard switch to get the highest typing speed on? i recently fell for the cherry mx clear meme and i type alot slower than i could before.

So why wasn't the numpad moved to the left then?

A stenotype
If you type around 150-160 wpm on that, then you're slow as shit. The average is around 230 with faster typist reaching 310-320. The world record is around 375 wpm

When you're inputing a lot of numbers you generally don't need the mouse, the arrow keys become more important.

Again so why wasn't it moved to the left? It's much more ergonomic and easier to type numbers with your left then do the rest of the work with your right hand

So you're telling me you never punched in numbers on a calculator with your left while writing with your right? Numpad doesn't need the dominant hand for use.

Plus what is your left hand doing when you're grinding those spreadsheets? Waiting to hit tab or sitting in the awkward position of the nav cluster?

Should I buy a Plum Keyboard for $140?

>missing the enter key for my pbt caps

fuck sake

Why would you buy am M13 and then remove the tracknubbin?

For more information, you can get a normal model M online for around $50, and an M13 can sell for $300+

Just bought a WASD code ten keyless with green switches. Pretty excited to try it, currently have a Pok3r with browns and want something heavier. Thought a lot about getting clears but I said fuck it and went with greens.

I know, I looked up the price before I did it. But I found it at a Goodwill that sold stuff by the pound, so I got it for $2, and I guess I'm attached. It was so dirty I had to completely disassemble it to wash it and remove the nub. There was like, brown, sticky shit on it.

Budget: $100
US
cherry mx red or similar, no loud or mushy pls
ANSI
100% or 10keyless, couldnt care either way
Black keyboard, white backlight

I'm really fucking excited for the board with them to come in. I like cherry silvers and heavy switches so I'm kind of strange in my preferences I guess but listening to typing videos on youtube and the clears just seem so fucking nice.
I was going to but decided it was too close in price to a HHKB for me. They really do make a nice sound though and are pretty unique. Get the plum nano, it's got a unique+based layout.
Greens probably feel even more tactile than clears honestly. I've found the sound a keyboard makes to be incredibly important though

how do topre switches compare to cherry mx clear switches?

Nothing alike

are they just like high quality rubber domes?

So close.

What do you look like

Yes, they're better than every cherry switch though.

best hot swappable keyboard? Preferably a full-sized one.
I want to try the new Kailh click bar switches.

Budget: $50
USA
I guess red switches, doesn't matter to me
ANSI
100% or 80%, doesn't matter
no backlighting

Anyone have any experience with cherry mx/gateron whites? From my switch tester they seem really nice, just like a quieter blue while still having the click. Are they not as nice to type on on a full board or why are they so unpopular?

>50$
you should really spend more than that if you want a good mechanical keyboard

>ISO DE
>ISO DE
>ISO DE
Fucking krauts.
Where are my ISO FR caps?

What does everyone think about the Wooting One? Scam? Wait for more competition? I don't really care about the analog part, just the incredibly low latency.

I have the motospeed ck104 for around a month and so far I like it a lot, so I would recommend it to you. Pros:
It's a full-size keyboard with Outemu blue switches and RGB backlight that cost me just 40€.
Great build quality: it has a really nice heft and weight to it. On the front it has an alluminum panel and on the back, it has those kick stand thingies.
Backlight color/mode switching is very easy, utilizing the FN key in combination with others. Even the brightness can be set at 10 different levels. No funky software to install on your computer.
Cons:
the gaymer aesthetic. The main thing bugging me is the keycap font(gaymer one), otherwise the look of the keyboard is pretty neutral and unobtrusive.
Non-detachable cable, but I'm not the kind of guy to fuck up my keyboard that way, so I don't really mind. Also it's pretty damn loud, I heard the outemu blues are even louder than cherry blues, so it not that great to use at night. It's my first mechanical keyboard and it's miles ahead of mu previous setup, a logitech ex100 bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo, that was in use for more than 10 years

also the backlighting can be just switched off.

Sweet, thanks. I'll check it out.

At Varmilo

user told me dye subs are shit.

massdrop.com/vote/Favorite-Cherry-MX-Style-Switch/result

LOL

How many of you use external keyboards with laptops? The HHP2 looks and feels so good and I don't own a rig anymore, wonder if I can use it to justify keeping the laptop screen a little further away from me.

I have a Razer Blade, the keyboard is whatever.

user is dumb.

Doubleshot and dyesub are the two best methods of making legends possible, both will never wear off.

had a bit of an xd at this

keyboard brainlet here, need a tkl metal case
any suggestions?

greens or grays

the OCD is evolving in you

>tfw I really want that Z70 keyboard in massdrop but physically can't justify the expense
The Red Scarf too

Being a poorfag sucks

>Z70
that layout is retarded and bad
>3u spacebars that don't fit standard 3u stabs, so good luck ever replacing those
>massive alt keys for no reason
>tiny ctrl key that only makes sense if you use UNIX layout, but doesn't have caps for that
>FN key in the bottom left corner which is the worst position for ANYTHING

That's actually a fair point. I didn't look carefully at the layout, I just assumed it would be sane. But those alt keys and that fn placement are anything but.

>Z70
whats this?

does this layout exist? If so, could anyone link me some related models?

thanks guys!

massdrop.com/buy/z70-mechanical-keyboard?

Think its called southpaw

im using 4chin for a reason

Yeah there is a GB for one right now
candykeys.com/southpaw-65-extended/

You have an account on Sup Forums, other users just can't see it

nope

redpill me on leopold fc660m
either its weird keycap or the switches of choice
(thinking to get the mx red one)
the layout make my dick hard but i'm afraid i'll get into trouble finding keycaps sets later on. if it's not worth buying my other choice is kbp v60 gat clear.

There's no email verification, you can enter any kind of bogus as long as it looks like an email address.

there is a topre version which you should buy instead

looks like a low IQ tada

Ducky has some

Except dye sub will bleach over time causing it to wear off

too pricey and i didn't like topre that much

Here's the high IQ version

Yes read the file name of the image

citation needed

lel

You can add something like guest_mode=open to the query string. It won't show you the price unless you login, but you can view the rest of the listing
I just can't remember exactly what the parameter is and I'm too lazy.

>v60 gat clear
Literally get matias QC

>matias QC
linear 35+5 g seems appealing to me, but i'm scared by its keycap compatibility

Ah yes if you want to replace those not the best idea. Objectively better actual switches, though. Up to you.

The 2.25 Right Shift can be a pain the butt if you're buying non-GMK keycap set. Some will have that extra key. Some won't. If you buy from KBDFans, message him nicely and he will include one for you free of charge.

Otherwise, yes it's a great board if you're into that layout like me.

If you want an alu case and more MX switch choices, wait until there's another group buy for either the Clueboard or KBD66.

Otherwise, well, it's a matter of taste. I love that layout so much I actually desolder my MX Blue in the 660M and solder Zealio 67g in. Love it.

I don:t think that board is worth mentioning. Never heard about it anywhere, be it here or Reddit or Geekhack.

Is that the only non standard key? Its basically just another left shit since that key is already 2.25 units long.

It also has some 1u keys on the bottom row instead of all 1.25u, but you can use numpad keys for that in a pinch.

might consider buying if i can get myself alps keyset, let's see next year in my local community this type of switch can get more popular.
thanks for the feedback, really helpful.

yes, the shift is actually pretty easy to deal, since i just have to bought another left shift.
what about the spacebar though? it's 6.25 like 90% spacebar out there but i heard the stem placement is unique, and might annoying. i just want to make sure because it will be my first compact layout. i have another mechanical keyboard and the layout is TKL, plan to buy another one for mobile purpose.

Well, there's also that 1.0U Win key, but I don't think it's that big of a big deal. Most sets will have one.