I'm just wondering how close are standard languages to dialects

I'm just wondering how close are standard languages to dialects.

Germans can you understand alsatian ?

youtu.be/BPGdtJ5Vn9I?t=89

Italians can you understand Corsican ?

youtu.be/dNK2c6SmDJ4?t=163

Dutch/flemish can you understand Vlaemsch ?

youtube.com/watch?v=D4tH7_CjeKU

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WtfARrs96tg
youtube.com/watch?v=j-GVobIgROU
youtu.be/rPs_KSdRcnY
youtube.com/watch?v=CVepHvTxb2k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pic unrelated btw

bumping hard

Does Scots count?

Also Latin let's me read a lot of modern romance languages with relative efficiency.

>Germans can you understand alsatian ?
I've listened to the first 5 minutes of it. It sounds like a weird mixture of Swiss German, Badisch and Pfälzisch. That's not too surprising given it's position.

I would say it's as easy/difficult to understand as Swiss German. For me personally, it's a bit more difficult to understand than Swiss German, because I know the latter a bit better.

I understood some 70% of it. I got the gist of what she was saying, but I've probably missed some things, too. To be fair, she also speaks pretty slowly.

Also can you understand Cajun french?

It's literally Swiss German (Alemannic)

I forgot to ask: Do you speak Alsatian? Do you see any future for it or is it heading down the "folklore language" trail?

how do you understand moselfränkisch german friends?
>youtube.com/watch?v=WtfARrs96tg

>let's

Kys

>Europe in 1812
>Best Europe Bro

Swiss German is a subset of Alemannic with Alsatian being another subset. It's very similar for sure, but it's noticeably different at least to the variants of Swiss German I know. At least in the video you hear some similarities to North Badisch dialects that are not present in Swiss German.

Link?

Really ? I thought the two were different.
I do not speak alsatian, but i know alsatians and bretons, and the young people do not speak the language anymore and when they do it's with a heavy french accent and it's always linked to some sort of identitarian bullshit, they're not languages people speak at home anymore.

So yeah,i do think that they're "heading down the "folklore language" trail"

No idea, never heard any

I understood nearly everything and I don't even live anywhere close. But I've already heard samples of dialects from this area where I didn't understand shit.

Alright, interesting

No I dont understand corsican, but probably sardina "people" can

Sardinian is the closest language of latin, it means then that corsicans are original Latin

There is a small dying dialect of Swedish called Kalixmål that has diverged so far from other dialects that it's completely incomprehensible to other Swedes.
Most people will have an easier time understanding Danish. For all intents and purposes it should be considered as another language.

British is kinda fat from the standard American language. But you can understand it most of the time

Wouldn't Corsican be heavily influenced by French in terms of phonetics?

Corsican is quite easy to understand.

do finns understand their mother language from america?
youtube.com/watch?v=j-GVobIgROU
its fucking annoying going to the U.p., Im blond so people up there assume i speak finnish, but im irish/mutt so i dont know a single word of your elfspeak, annoying as fuck

yoopers are fucking weird.
source: am yooper.

not a "finnish" one though

>Italians can you understand Corsican ?
I can understand what that old man is saying
Not actually everything, but I get what he's talking about

>Dutch/flemish can you understand Vlaemsch
It sounds like a mix of Flemish and a farmer accent.
I don't understand it. It would require a lot of getting used to. I think I find the French language and German easier to understand.
It's gibberish.

Well, the longer I listen to it the more words I start to recognize. I think it would take a couple hours of listening to start getting it.

This is one of the only good video I have of Cajun French. Being fron Quebec I understand pretty much 100% of what he says although subtitles help. I do recognize some very old French terms that you would see in some sort of Old French text from the 1600s but that are completely obsolete now. For example he says " je suitais ", a mix from "je suis" (I am) and "j'étais" (I was)

The old guy in the beginning could pass for a native, but the others have a pretty heavy accent. All of them are perfectly understandable, though. Pretty impressive for a bunch of muh heritage, really.

My bad here's the link

youtu.be/rPs_KSdRcnY

I speak Polish and can't understand Kashubian which is supposedly a dialect of Polish. I can actually understand Slovak better I think.

>Pretty impressive for a bunch of muh heritage, really.
for some (basicly all the 80+people) it never stopped being poken, even today there are small towns where the signs are all finnish as shit street names, and all the locals speak it as a first language, i cant find the right video but ive sen one that talked about it being an older style, like what was spoken in finland in the 1770-1840 timerange
this one is close i guess
youtube.com/watch?v=CVepHvTxb2k

i got a buddy whose half finnish (dark mexican tier tan 365 days of the year, blond hair blue eyes, his dads old german so tan aint from him) who wants to learn it, he knows like 10-15 finnish words