Free, 'secure' DNS service?

Is there a free and (more or less) trustworthy DNS provider? You know, like Google Public DNS, but without the spying and stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

open nic

Yeah but they’re fucking slow

Pihole, with OpenDNS, with my servers outbound connection going through a VPN service. Takes 2 minutes to get Pihole installed with the installation script. You can also use any custom DNS you want.

Well, first off, I don't think Google Public DNS spies on you. Second off, have you tried OpenDNS?

Choose a server close to you. OpenNIC allows you to do this.

DNSCrypt random, or OpenNIC

I had it for years but last week it stopped working for me. I had to change it or I couldn't access the internet. Then I read something about Cisco buying OpenDNS and know I don't know, if I should use it.

DNScrypt with fvz-anyone

Pihole is not a fucking root DNS provider you absolute retard, it still needs to query DNS servers to work(which would be your ISP or GoogleDNS or whatever).

8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

Level 3 DNS at 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.

>don't think Google Public DNS spies on you
think, or know?
assuming the worst, but, if anyone has actual evidence or proof they dont, or vice versa, be interested. Never seen a TOS for their DNS, not that Id have read it or anything then either

>OpenDNS
The one owned by Cisco? :^)

OpenNIC. They even have servers with dnscrypt support.

I get that DNSCrypt encrypts your DNS requests to a DNSCrypt server. But who runs the servers? Your DNS requests have to go somewhere, and I doubt they're going straight to the root name servers.

Why is DNSCrypt considered trustworthy?

>"What information does Google log when I use the Google Public DNS service?"

>"The Google Public DNS privacy page has a complete list of information that we collect. Google Public DNS complies with Google's main privacy policy, available at our Privacy Center."

>"Your client IP address is only logged temporarily (erased within a day or two), but information about ISPs and city/metro-level locations are kept longer for the purpose of making our service faster, better, and more secure."

developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq

That's already too much, and holy shit trusting Google on what they say, not even hobos under the bridge believe that.

just set up your own non-forwarding resolver.

● unbound.service - Unbound DNS server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/unbound.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2017-10-18 20:37:25 CEST; 1 months 8 days ago
Docs: man:unbound(8)
Main PID: 30443 (unbound)
Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
CGroup: /system.slice/unbound.service
└─30443 /usr/sbin/unbound -d

And what happens when you can't resolve some new hostname?

it'll do a hierarchical lookup, modulo the nameservers you already have in your cache.

>look up Sup Forums.org
>contact rootserver for .org NS (you probably have this in your cache anyway)
>contact .org NS for Sup Forums.org
>contact Sup Forums.org NS for A and CNAME lookups and subdomains

There ZERO lookups going to google. Granted Sup Forums's DNS runs on cuckflare, but they see your traffic to Sup Forums anyway, so they don't learn much new from that.