Other urls found in this thread:

pixelmator.com/sale/
pixelmator.com/pro/
affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Piracy

Good luck with that in semi-commercial settings

Because PS is he standard.

It's like an Emacs vs. Vim argument. It's not like the free isn't good, it just doesn't work like PS.

While not entirely free, Pixelmator is way more affordable and no subscription bullshit.
And the Black Friday sale is still active. Check it out pixelmator.com/sale/

If you are a professional, check out the upcoming Pixelmator Pro or Affinity Photo.
pixelmator.com/pro/
affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

More pricey, but still more affordable and no subscription unlike Adobe shit.

No one has the time, money or ability to design a program anywhere close to as good for free. Photoshop is essentially perfect, which is why it more or less hasnt changed since photoshop 6 aside from graphical tweaks mostly.

Its like asking "why hasn't anyone just built an f1 car and beat mercedes/ferrari yet?" Even if someone spent the rest of their life trying, they will never match the combined engineering potential of those companies.

>only available for mac or ios

Well, OP didn't specify OS and Affinity Photo has a Windows version too.

If you use it commercially, why can't you afford to get a license?

but user photoshop is free

It's free as in free beer when you get it under the table and for private consumption.

>not using paint.net

the only reason not to use a cracked version is if you own a business and all your employees use it. Even in that setting unless your company is widely known adobe aren't gonna check whether you are profiting from using their software without a license

He's probably a self employed NEET

is there something similar that runs on linux?

>Photoshop is essentially perfect
Not really. The perfect application would be similar to Fireworks but less clunky.

>he doesn't use a mac
paint will do then

OP why don't you use Krita and STFU?

I think I am the only one to use Krita for photo manipulation

GIMP is better / more general

k r i t a

>Wahhh, there's no free alternative to Photoshop!
>How about GIMP or Krita?
>Nooo! They're not the same!
>What specifically is your main complaint?
>*crickets*
Every fucking time.

Krita runs like shit.
Gimp's layer management works against you.

Krita isn't a competitor to Photoshop.
Gimp's UI is shit. I wish they would listen to their users.
I use paint.net/gimp on windows and gimp on Linux. I don't pretend to be some """professional""" like half the NEET larpers on Sup Forums. You don't need Photoshop for ebin frog memes.

>alternative to Photoshop in 2017

I tough private software was for those who can't do their shit and buys expensive software to do it for you.

Not him but the reason Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign are considered "industry standard" is not because they can arrange pixels and/or Bezier curves in a way other programs can't (although that can be true, too) but because of their support of all kinds of industrial printing processes. I'm taking features like color management, plates separation, over/under prints, spot inks, trapping, paper dot gain compensation and so on. Meanwhile, GIMP didn't even have fucking CMYK support last time I checked.

Admittedly, for 99% of DeviantArt-tier hobbyists this is a non-issue, but if you're in actual pre-press you really have no alternative (and I don't think they'll ever be one that is free in either sense of the word). Some shops try, but then they pay for a botched print run and realize buying Adobe license would've been cheaper.

>he didn't pay the adobe jewbux

Enjoy your gimp while I make meme images of the highest quality.

it doesn't matter what you use as long as you are batshit retarded

nobody want to work for free

>pay for Photoshop only to make memes
paint.net is enough for that, and it's free

>krita runs like shit

Spotted the macfag. It's not Krita's fault Apple dropped OpenGL support for their special snowflake graphics API.

At least there a decent commercial alternative to photoshop