Let's talk about energy density

Let's talk about energy density.

Batteries, with lithium-based formulations, have reached peak energy density while still being able to remain safe and functional. Rechargeable batteries contain only tiny fractions of the energy density of chemical energy stored in hydrogen, fossil fuels, and even wood.

Thus, it becomes clear that to increase mobile energy density, we must utilize chemical reactions in our energy sources. Is hydrogen the answer? Can we create reliably "rechargeable" hydrogen cells with reactors at least small enough for a laptop? Discuss.

>pic related is not a great example, but perhaps the only example at this time

Other urls found in this thread:

futurism.com/scientists-develop-better-battery-thanks-graphene/
youtube.com/user/Thunderf00t
youtube.com/watch?v=ktO6IvLT2eg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Grapheme batteries hold a lot of potential.

futurism.com/scientists-develop-better-battery-thanks-graphene/

>the batteries ... will have an energy density of 1,000 Wh/kg (for comparison, lithium batteries generally have a energy density of 180 Wh/kg)
>hydrogen energy density is 33,300 Wh/kg

Right. so the absolute best in the field is still an insignificant fraction of the energy stored in hydrogen. Even fossil fuels hold 12 times as much, but obviously fossil fuels aren't remotely suitable for mobile applications.

>portable hydrogen cells
gee now my phone can literally go thermonuclear

Lithium-air batteries. God knows how far away we are from them though, I don't think they've even been made in labs.

>fossil fuels

it's not

What if we go full dieselpunk and put ICE in our phones?

is compressing hydrogen a thing?

>Discuss.

I fucking hate it when people end their bullshit with this patronizing order.

Mass seems to be misleading here. I can only imagine how fucking big one litre of Carbon would be.

hydrogen isn't eco-friendly

Utilizing hydrogen is much harder in small form factor and it produces lots of heat.

It can be; you can use multiple types of renewing energy for electrolysis.

The charger in pic related is too weak to charge anything from this decade

You're dumb as fuck and really have no idea how any of these systems work. Take your scientific illiteracy elsewhere.

The cells in picture are actually in much less volatile powder form. They burn much less violently however produce less power as a result.

So instead of giving the thread something useful, like correcting the statement and enlightening us all you decided to come here telling how much better you are.

Hydrogen fucks the ozone layer.

did they just glue a bolt to the top of an 18650, paint hydrogen on the side, and make bank off of numales?

> muh hydrogen

hydrogen is fucking awful for portable batteries even before you worry about the structure of the fuel cell itself.

pic extremely related.

I for one would gladly accept the risk of losing a leg if it meant my phone lasting more than 4 fucking hours

If poorly contained and released in massive amounts sure, but these kinds of solutions often come in powdery form and are burned very clean.

booze powered fuel cells when?

Fuck you you smug fucking cunt. You came in and made a dog shit thread that you knew was wrong and are acting like you're not the one to blame. Fucking kill yourself.

Styrofoam fuel cells are better

That pretty much what you get for starting a troll thread.

> not having phone battery than turns soda cans into rubies and sapphires

litre is a measure of volume so it would be exactly the same size as a litre of water. it would weigh a fraction of a gram though.

>Smug cunt
Ironic considering how you've been basking in your own glory since coming here.

I'm actually enother guy, however i find confusing that you bash others for not knowing things but refuse to actually point out whats wrong and how it should be instead. Not that you'd care, you're only here to argue with people.

my hydrogen fuel cells are a computer, a neural net processor

not when it's a liquid

Don't use words you don't understand, you underage shitstain.

Stop pretending like you didn't start this completely misinformation filled thread.

>american education

Yes, outside the fab where I work we have massive tanks of the shit which get moved to a compressor. The silly Mexican gardeners always smoke around them and get fucking screamed at by the engineers. We gonna blow up one of these days.

>I can only imagine how fucking big one litre of Carbon would be.
This is a joke right? It would be a liter. How dense are you?

Guarantee you can't point out a single example that anyone other than your hyper-autistic self would consider "basking in your own glory"... because only a fedora-wearing dipshit would even think something like that.

where's the radioactive shit braugh?

America, I...

>bash others for not knowing things but refuse to actually point out whats wrong and how it should be instead

That user is very insecure about himself to the point where any display of knowledge or opinions that he doesn't hold is an outright attack on him.

Drink your verification can for the next 6 hours of battery life user

Beautiful.

The retard watched the latest thunderf00t video and is now a self proclaimed genius re: batteries & thermodynamics

>thunderf00t
whose that?

the subtle slanted eyes of the chinese, truly a piece of art

someone Sup Forums hates because he shat on Linus Tech Tips

link? sounds hilarious

>Sup Forums
>liking Linus

>a hydrogen battery the size of the note 7 battery would have 185x the energy
I don't see the potential problems with this at all.

Exactly 1 liter in size or 1000cc?

You want a hydrogen generator filled with water next to your laptop?

Wait.
>litre
He's a Britbong

thunderf00t is OK for the most part, but he has a tendency to wallow in schadenfreude

user wants a link and i do too

>hydrogen
>per kg

Unless you have the secret to making stable metallic hydrogen at 25*C and 1bar of pressure somewhere up your ass user; comparing this is a fools game.

It's the one where he visits the Hyperloop.

caution: may contain fedoras
youtube.com/user/Thunderf00t

we aren't going to break barriers until we start making consumer-grade nuclear-powered devices

It's understandable then, they measure liquid volume in bongs, not in liters.

thanks anons

thinking it's this one
youtube.com/watch?v=ktO6IvLT2eg

Just increase energy efficiency. Same effect and far more viable.

Wood Gasifier creates flammable wood gas.
Wood gas burned to power flame licker engine.
Flame licker engine drives dynamo.
Dynamo charges phone.

Literally never pay for electricity again!
You're welcome!

that seems overly complicated

Can you make your own candles? Because I can make my own woodchips without having to buy anything. How you making the wax?

I steal it from bees. How do you make all the rest of your shit then? Are you gonna mine the ore for your cables?

Thermodynamic oil collapse is inevitable, you have until the year 2033 before complete collapse, periphery areas(third world) will begin collapsing first, Venezuela is already in collapse, Saudi Arabia is on verge of collapse

Yo want to use energy density per unit volume over per unit of mass.

>You want a mercury-filled vacuum chamber shooting electrons directly towards your face?

Good thing you people didn’t exist when the CRT was invented.

microscopic blackholes, retard

>Can only use candles. Only fits very specific candles.
>Most of the complexity is on the non-essential parts.

Yours doesn't look practical at all. It's more of an art piece.

theoretically there's some inside Jupiter

those explode

he's what an idiot who thinks he's smart looks like

scientifically he's on point though. he is an idiot when it comes to politics tho