Coding/Programming

Currently going to school for CS, need about 2 more years. Fairly new to coding with Java and C++. Are those 2 good to stick with? Eventually want to develop apps/games. Whats the best way to get your foot in the door with jobs and experience. Most jobs require at least 2 years experience. Also Ive been hearing you do not necessarily need a degree for programming. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks

C++ is a very quirky language, you are better off learning language agnostic skills (writing maintainable code) before you go balls deep in a specific language. Read "code complete", you will thank me later.

I will look into that! Thank you much!

r/learnprogramming has some good resources

Install Gentoo

>Coding

Why do people say this? It sounds retarded and I just think of codine.

This, then learn Idris

The languages you know matter MUCH less than the work you've done and who you know. Most good companies want to see that you know how to think about problems and that you're capable of finishing things. They assume if you can program well in one language, you can learn whatever you need for the job.

Work on real projects, not just school assignments. Get to know some professors because a good recommendation to one of their friends in industry is worth more than a degree. Finally, get a good internship, work hard at it, and impress the company, because that will have a bigger effect on what kind of job you get after school than anything you study.

Actually in meme webdev land just knowing some shit like React can get you a job.

I was denied a job once because I said I was using HAXE for a current project and got a job once when I lied about knowing some random javascript meme library like haxe.

>meme webdev land
I don't think he's missing much by not being in that bubble. 50k plus worthless options and free pizza doesn't go very far in the valley

I'm not talking about webdev shit. I'm talking about real software engineering jobs for real tech companies. Any company that chooses employees based on which languages or libraries they know probably isn't worth working for.

My company rejects people who only know Python and is a fine company to work for.

Yes it does. When you are actually here versus just hearing about it shit changes a lot. A lot of the stuck up retards who live in SF have to live in certain neighborhoods because they let their neighborhood define them. They move to clique neighborhoods that have a huge markup for that reason. Move somewhere with normal people with kids and the price goes down a lot. Obviously it's still California expensive, but we are talking LA expensive and not SF expensive. Then you just commute into the city on the Bart and you can save your ass off.

SF is a self imposed bubble made by people who care more about the culture of being in SF than doing interesting shit like cool engineering jobs. I legitimately feel bad for the normal people who live there and have to move further and further from the city for hip kids to have their way.

They are real high paying jobs that are easy as shit, and you can engineer real things in your spare time making a shitload of money, improving your resume and working on what you want to work on.

>Any company that chooses employees based on which languages or libraries they know probably isn't worth working for.

If your primary focus is interesting engineering problem 99% of companies aren't worth working for in the first place.

So if I were to get a job in SF or one of the other nearby tech hubs, my choices would be pay overpriced amounts to live near a bunch of annoying code artisan bros, or suffer a long commute to live near more normal people at more reasonable prices? I hope you can understand why I'm content to stay away.

40 minute train commute for over 50 grand a year in the bank once the year is done and taxes and bills are paid is pretty nice.

If that's what you are doing where you live then there is no reason to move but I can literally quit after 2 or 3 more years of this, move wherever I want and only work on shit I want to work on for years to come.

>40 minute train commute for over 50 grand a year in the bank once the year is done and taxes and bills are paid is pretty nice.
Is that supposed to be impressive? I have quite a bit more expendable income than that and live 5 minutes from work. California is a nightmare no matter how you spin it.

I doubt there are very many skilled programmers that know only Python, just like there aren't many who know only C, but if a company rejects someone solely on that basis it just shows that the hiring managers are more concerned with chasing trends than finding good people.

>I'm talking about real software engineering jobs for real tech companies.

What the hell is a real tech company?

>Move somewhere with normal people with kids and the price goes down a lot.

What are you talking about? Every neighborhood has normal people with kids. Are you talking about the high crime ghetto areas?

$50k/yr in post-tax savings is pretty impressive no matter how you spin it, grind it out for a few years, throw it all at cheap index funds, and you will be independently wealthy by the time you are 35. Of course you will have to move to a low COL area if you actually want to say fuck you to the world.

>Currently going to school for CS, need about 2 more years. Fairly new to coding with Java and C++. Are those 2 good to stick with?
If you are 2 years deep into uni and you have to ask if java and c++ are good languages, your uni owes you a refund.
If you are 2 years deep into uni and you consider yourself "fairly new to coding", your uni owes you a refund.

This post can literally be answered by a professor in 10-20 min.

>Also Ive been hearing you do not necessarily need a degree for programming.
It's rare and really tough with all of the cs majors right now. Back in the 90's this was way easier to pull off. Be ready to have tons of code to show if you try to go this route.

>Any suggestions or tips?
Back when I was at uni, two guys went for the same high paying gig. One of them had two internships, 4.0 gpa, outside projects, etc. The other had a 3.0 gpa and no internships but he ended up getting the job.
The 4.0 gpa guy was kind of a dick and thought he was hot shit and asked for far above what he was worth. The 3.0 gpa guy had a good personality and didn't ask for more than he was worth. Nobody wants to work with a nice dumbass and nobody wants to work with a smart asshole.

Honestly no future employer is going to care much about what languages you know and what technologies you worked with, also this meme of having worked on projects matter far less than what people think, I have been a recruiter for a long time and worked with many companies what matters when hiring junior devs and interns is first your GPA and second how good you are at thinking algorithmicly as well as deep data structure knowledge.

If you want to get hired work hard on algorithms and data structures, grind leetcode and CTCI and you'll be fine.