Sup Forums related careers

Okay Sup Forums I need some help. I'm a 23 year old college dropout and I'm getting tired of being a wagecuck. I have a basic understanding of how computers work (haven't touched code though) and think maybe I should get a career in technology. But it's such a broad field that I have no clue what to go after. I live in the US near a major city, if that helps.

Surely some of you have some good experience and advice. And I know I've seen some charts and discussion about this in the past. Wat do?

Other urls found in this thread:

mcckc.edu/programs/industrialmaintenance/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump. pic related is me waiting for replies

Learn haskell

McDonalds

Enter a program like this.

mcckc.edu/programs/industrialmaintenance/

You might have to work weird shifts but hey after two years of doing that shit you'll probably be able to find a place that offers a normal shift

its too late

>say I want to work with computers
>tells me to become a repairman

Recently developed tech always brings in new work.

Well you don't repair a million dollar machine with your dick.

You use a computer.

I have autismo though. I just want to type away doing something useful

web dev

Okay, what schooling programs should I take to learn more about this?

Then Masterbate on Webcam.

KCMO reporting in.

Despite the fact that all parts of IT are filled with autistic retards no one wants to hire one if they can avoid it. Especially if you are a code monkey you will likely work on group projects of some sort. I would be willing to be you could be much more solitary as a repairman.

I would say learn to code and see if you like it. If you hate it or aren't interested by it choose something else because you will surely hate it more when you do it at least 5 days a week for the rest of your foreseeable life. If you do like it is in demand and you will have the most options as a programmer.

Go to a boot camp and do webdev. Easiest way to break in. Since you have free time unlike us in college you should be able to work on cool projects and spend time wisely learning skills for industry

>no one wants to hire one

SAP to the rescue

>if they can avoid it.

SAP can't, they're shit.

I figured I'd end up on a programmer path but I just have absolutely zero frame of reference for it. It'll be like a year and a half before I actually begin schooling so there's plenty of time for me to look into it all

i have a somewhat related question
what's the benefits of having a programming related degree?
is it worth it?

Depends on the degree. An ABET approved engineering program will get you something. But that's going to be 4 yrs of school.

A CS degree in science or art might get you something but your mileage will very depending on the rep of the program. 4 yrs of school.

CIS or some other computer degree with an emphasis in business won't be worth the paper it's printed on.

Boot camps and technical degrees very wildly in quality and outcomes. Enroll carefully. They also tend to have better outcomes if you already have experience in the field.

Now is it worth it?

Maybe, If you find the knowledge contained within the field to be inherently interesting, then it really doesn't matter what program you enroll in you'll find a job.

If you hate the information and the subject bores you then you should look into a different field. Because none of the degree are going to help you and you'll drop of any programs you join.

Changes are your somewhere in the middle. So any course will be a crap shot.

I personally went with the 4 yr engineering program.

>Despite the fact that all parts of IT are filled with autistic retards no one wants to hire one if they can avoid it.
This, and for a good reason.

fair point

At your age, you can do anything. I'm significantly older and made a "mid-life career change" towards IT. I just went to the local community college and took certificate program that included 1-2 courses of everything IT related. Web development, software development, database management, systems analysis, networking, etc... After that, I discovered my interest leaned towards networking, so I went ahead and got an associate degree. The difference between me and others, is that I come from a sales background. I was a regional sales manager for a company that provided e-commerce solutions in the automotive industry. Now, I don't necessarily plan to further my technical expertise through school, as I just want to sell it. Apparently, there is a lack of non-autists in the industry and companies are looking for people to translate to non-techies. Sales is where it's at, anyway. Don't do shit and get paid. /blog

I did one semester of an MS in CS, then got a good job and dropped out. School is very valuable for the connections, but the industry is so diverse and growing so fast that there are plenty of opportunities for self-taught people as long as you're good at what you do. Getting your foot in the door without a degree is the hardest part.

So why not just rough it out and go to school? Even if you have to do some stupid classes that isn't helpful at least you can claim legitimacy to potential employers. A lot of young guys out there think they're a lot more skilled than they actually are so I don't see what the harm is in just doing it the traditional way.

kill yourself

REEE NO stop telling shit tier normie retards to do web dev. We have enough retards in the industry driving wages down as it is.

i wasn't aware there was such a thing as engineering for programmers?
what does that even mean
also what's cis? last time i asked that i had to check my privilege

not him, i'm the guy who actually doesn't know anything about programming but is considering entering the field
but the costs that come to mind would be the time and money spent on schooling

Is it like really hard to get a job without a degree?
Is there things other than getting a degree that you can do that'll help you get hired

Generally you won't get a job like what we're talking about without a degree. A lot of tards think they're just soooo good at programming and that employers will pick them up on their word but in the real world credentials matter. You can be an awkward permavirgin with no experience that has a degree but you'll always be picked over the awkward permavirgin with no experience with no degree