Does Firefox have a chance to make a comeback?

Does Firefox have a chance to make a comeback?

Will 2018 be the #YearOfTheFirefox?

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?f1=status_whiteboard&o1=substring&query_format=advanced&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&v1=[design-decision-approved]&list_id=13901926
github.com/nuchi/firefox-quantum-userchromejs
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215061
reddit.com/r/Firefox/wiki/quantum_migration
downthemall.net/delays/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>opt-out
>not opt-in
No thanks

>we now chrome
>things you chose firefox for over chrome for are not supported anymore
How do you see this working? No one will switch from Chrome, and Firefox users will switch to forks. Please, Mozilla. What have you become?

Reasons to use Firefox:
>it's not google
>it has more powerful extensions with more to come bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?f1=status_whiteboard&o1=substring&query_format=advanced&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&v1=[design-decision-approved]&list_id=13901926
>it lets you apply arbitrary css to the browser UI
>it lets you run arbitrary javascript in the context of browser UI github.com/nuchi/firefox-quantum-userchromejs
>it's finally reasonably fast

Can't wait for the next netmarketshare update, maybe then you faggots will finally shut up.

None of those. None. Are good enough enough to get people to switch. And breaking backwards compatibility is bad enough for people to switch away. How deluded do you have to be to expect increase in market share in an update that degrades user experience?

They crippled the one thing they had over competition. No.

How deluded do you have to be to think that people who use broken addons make up a significant part of the userbase?
40% don't have a single addon installed, that information was released by mozilla at the beginning on 2016.
The majority of the remaining 60% probably just use adblock and maybe some random video downloader addon that has at least a dozen replacements.

>probably
Well it's all solved then. Probably!

And it's TEMPORARY anyways. The re-writing of the code base for speed is needed. Addons will be updated eventually. Short term pain for long term gain.

Firefox was wallowing in sluggish speeds for ages. Many people ditched it because of this. 57 makes a massive difference on low end machines. It's great.

>The userbase will become larger because even though this is a user experience degrading update, it's all TEMPORARY anyways!
Listen to yourself.

where the fuck are my extensions?
how the flying fuck do i turn off the top tabs, i'm using tree style tabs?

fucking womyn pajeet.
arggggh i'm downloading opera chink

This update only degrades user experience if you're a turbo autist who needs XUL extensions. Almost all Firefox users (including the vast majority of power users) do not.

>the userbase will dwindle because of 5 people like pic related even though the experience is significantly better for literally everyone else
Listen to yourself.

And this attitude is why you are losing users.

FF made it impossible to have mouse gestures in system pages, which ruins mouse gesture navigation. It's broken by design, and if you complain, you are called a turbo autist. Great.

It already is dwindling. Ruining experience for those who chose to stay is not helping.

I wish someone would come out with a "Retrofox" that went back to an earlier version of FF, before they started changing it every few months. WTF.

>autistic enough to whine about it on a kazakh goat cheese discussion forum
>not autistic enough to install waterfox/ESR/furfox

And because mouse gesture autists are stupid, irrelevant and incompetent, it didn't occur to any one of them to request a new api.instead of complaining.
Meanwhile vim autists requested multiple new apis, had them all approved and are now working on the implementation bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215061

1. It's not my job to make your browser better.
2. It was requested, and it was denied because muh security.

YEAR OF THE FIRE FOX
E
A
R

O
F

T
H
E

F
I
R
E
F
O
X

>It was requested
I can't find it on bugzilla.

You don't expect me to go and look for it, do you?

I do. Because vim autists got an api that lets them listen to keyboard events globally before they are processed by the browser.
There's no reason why the same couldn't be done for mouse.

Well, I'm fine with the browser I have now, with working addons, and I'm fine with Firefox's dwindling userbase. I don't need to work to make Firefox better, I already switched away from it.

That was fucking helpful in losing userbase.

>Firefox

Crashes on mega, anyway pretty snappy. I don't get why they needed placeholders. Buy adds and whatever, there are still many bluepilled ie users and edge is still a shit and probably will be shit forever.

It's so sad to see a once great browser to be reduced to this.

REEEEEEEEEEE

Their only real chance was to double down on enterprisey, laggard companies that just started supporting firefox a few years back (maybe 2008-2013ish), to really work with them to have the best development and user experience with their software in order to get Firefox as the first-developed-on and supported browser.

Most of those companies have already moved on to Chrome though. Sad.

There just isn't enough of a value to switching for most people, so it's doomed to fail.

It's a site, not a browser.

yeah i think they do

>site of browser's dev team

If data uri scheme is this shit in chrome, why fags don't use it to bypass adblockers?

I don't care about Mozilla Foundation's PR bullshit if it means that meanwhile Mozilla Corporation can pay people to make a good browser.

Foundation, which follows the usual agenda as everyone else in SF. Literally nothing.

Oh, there are others that follow the same agenda? All's forgiven then!

what pepe is this?

That's pretty hilarious when soundcloud uses cache and W10 can't function without 2GB of ram. You prove actually nothing.

If you don't, you are fucked. This is why that Eich has to leave or Mozilla could crash and burn. Don't forget this is the city where idiots decided to exclude homosexuality from diseases.

I've been using Quantum for a week now

and I can honestly say Firefox won.

Ditch chrome botnet.

I'm not interested in those silly excuses.

idc as nobody else too

The point is, the response implied that being located in SF is an excuse for this kind of behavior. It's not. You may or may not care, but the statement about SF is not meaningful.

quantum uses the same, if not more process than chrome lol

Their time has already passed

Genuine question, what's the point of Chrome over Firefox Quantum? Quantum is admittedly relatively limited compared to old Firefox, but still a lot more flexible compared to Chrome based browsers and the speed difference is negligible at this point.

It's more popular.

I'm literally using Chrome because I want to keep my FF unupdated to use certain add ons like DownLoadThemAll

Is there a rice fag guide for quantum

lel.

Just use ESR, fag.

Firefox ESR's memory usage goes up and up and up with use regardless of number of tabs open.
Firefox Quantum's CPU usage stays way higher on idle than any Chrome-clone browser.

reddit.com/r/Firefox/wiki/quantum_migration

Chrome consumes too much ram, for me firefox is way better than other web browsers in comparison, using and love it, hopefully it can have a comeback soon

>implying any of those are good enough for the typical normie to switch.

No one gives a shit about what normies do, give us a reason why any competent user should stick with Chromium over Firefox.

Mozilla cares, its shill here care. We get those retarded "IT'S FAST NOW WOW" threads everyday.

delete this
not true
firefox is /our/ browser

kek
half of Sup Forums in one pic.

If they cared that much about normies they would shill on Reddit, not here.

Are you implying there are no normies to shill to on Sup Forums?

It already made a comeback. 57 is great and comes with no OWO LE SNAP XDDDD errors like chrome/chormium.

t. former dieahard 52esr shill

>It's so sad to see people fighting for equality when I already have all the privilege I need.

It's true for me.
Opera is the most lightweight, then Vivaldi, then Firefox.

I don't have privilege. I earned what I have through hard work. The place I work for has lower requirements for women applying, which makes them privileged - and there still is only a fraction of them employed. Wage cap is not caused by discrimination.

SJWFox memes are real

Vivaldi's UI looks laggy on my pc and the lack of smooth scrolling is annoying, or maybe it didnt work at all. Im waiting for a couple of updates before I try it again, then struggle to find replacements for my addons.

WebExtension version of Down the Mall should be ready soon.
>downthemall.net/delays/

Removing XUL addons was the chemotherapy that Firefox desperately needed. It damaged Firefox a lot, but now that it's done Mozilla has a clear path to full recovery for a browser better than Chrome and a market share bigger than its.

Yeah the UI is laggy. But some sites load better that Firefox has trouble with (High CPU usage/freezes) like youtube, etc.
Vivaldi now has built in Tree Style Tabs which is pretty cool, though.

been using pale moon since 29 happened
I have the right to a browser made by white men.

>education for women legs around the world
Nice way to throw that in there after the other points to imply that it's an issue in the west too when it's not (women now make up the majority of people enrolled in post secondary education). I hate when they do this shit. I'm in fucking Canada, don't lump me in with Lesotho or some other shit hole.

I'm 99% sure the coders for the browser have zero say in what gets writen in these pr articles

Da ting is...It looks like sheet

There are some refugees from Sup Forums and Reddit itself but at large the Sup Forums audience is tinfoilers, stallmanites or simply more tech minded people in general.

I wish I lived in the same imaginary world you live in.

Should I wait some weeks until the exensions are stable?

Meanwhile emacs autists never had anything to worry about because emacs was already their web browser:

iii0:w^G^G^G^W^Q^X^Cvim:
emacs: 1

>what the wage gap was: women being paid less because they're women
>what the wage gap is now: women don't take on higher paying high risk/responsibility jobs, work as much overtime, or take financial risks, and therefore make less. most say they would rather keep their social lives and family lives semi-intact than make an extra buck.
>the solution: we need to convince women to act like the least rational sex (men) so their statistics match up! t. men and women parroting men

can we nuke the US already?

My experience with the latest Firefox has been that at least it's usable unlike maybe the previous 30 fucking versions. I spent valuable minutes in the last years switching away from other browsers to Firefox and being just slow it was, how shitty scrolling was, how shitty font rendering was and how ugly the UI was eventually becoming and Mozilla being more and more prone to remove the appealing thing which was to customize the browser.

In an attempt to diss Mozilla I tried this last version and what can I say, I was fucking surprised it ain't shit at all. Sure it's a fucking botnet like Chrome, Chropera, Brave, everything under the fucking sun that isn't a text based browser these days or an old crummy shitty version of Firefox, but I miss pretty much nothing from other browser, font rendering is better (nope, not the same, not worse, better for once which is a godsend in a shitty OS like Windows), not any slower and the fucking tabs beside URL bar stuff is back if I want.

My only issues are that I need Firefox on my phone now to sync stuff and I can't hide the scrollbar. That's a side effect of the butchering of add-ons but I can live with this more than I can live with the ugliness of Vivaldi.

Chrome still has superior development tools.
Bits of chrome are still used in many areas, such as electron project, node.js, etc.

As for regular end users, there is no point to chrome other than familiarity.

FWIW i use chromium, waterfox, IE11 and firefox concurrently. No point in being a fanboy when all the major browsers are shit.