Learning Spanish

I live in a highly Mexican area. I also work at a hospital that does outreach missions to Panama (the country).

I'm doing Duolingo but it doesn't help conversion at all. What are some things I can do for free (or download for "free") to help me learn? Any good movies or shows? I work nights and sometimes it's slow so I can watch/listen.

Learning spanish is a waste of time, every area under the influence of the USA (and both Spain and Latin America are) will lose their language by assimilation into english and become dead within the next centuries.

Uh, that isn't how language works, but thanks for the bump.

Holy shit, dude half the fucking TV channels are in Spanish. Watch telemundo and stop being lazy

Yes it is. We had multiple languages in Spain and spanish assimilated them gradually. The same is doing english now with spanish.

No, sorry.

Yes. Just accept it. Spanish is irrelevant.

CHI

You can go onto youtube itself and watch news and movies in spanish or go to the library to rent movies. Start grasping vocab and speak to other users, or even yourself. Over time you will progress. Not really brain science.

When you are starting to learn a language, I think going to class (in person) is very important.
I don't know how it goes in america, check your local community college, or there must be somewhere were they teach adults.

After you have aquired some knowledge you can start to watch films and tv shows with english subtitles and later swich to spanish subtitles and finally without them.

You realize America alone gets something like 20+ new Spanish speaking only people a day right? You know that Spanish is the fastest growing language in the world, also besting every language in worldwide use right behind English.

Or you could just be a complete and total idiot.

This.

Why would you learn Spanish when you can just speak English in Spain when you are 900 years old.

Spanish took over because I was better. It's one of the 5 languages of the U.N. it is the 4th most spoken language in the world with Mandarin, Hindi, and English beating it out.
Retard.

Fuckin loled.

Spain might have a dying problem, but I live in Texas and can tell you a ton of Spanish speakers refuse to learn English and will always speak Spanish.

I go on vacation to Spain almost every year. And most don't speak English at all.

But it never bothered me much. They are really good at communicating with their hands and feet. And somehow Spanish always sounds a bit familiar anyway. More so than French for example.

But Spanish is growing in the USA now as a language.

And user if you really want to, then get a couple of Spanish-speaking friends and just talk to them. Spanish is easy. (Trust me. One big thing that is sort of hard to grasp for Germanic lang folks are the verbs so watch out for them) I know couples where the one who didn't speak Spanish (at all) could speak comfortably in the span of half a year just by speaking to the one who did.

Add to that the most helpful thing (But hard to do): Immerse yourself in the language, easy for you because of where you are I believe. Try to change everything you do where English is involved into Spanish, whenever possible. Read Spanish, listen to Spanish, write Spanish, think Spanish.
Do you like music? Listen to Spanish music
Do you play games? Play them in Spanish
Heck, try and visit Spanish chans.
This is how kids do it.

And you could start by going to classes, most of them are good at introducing the language, and they'll "reinforce" lots of stuff you'll encounter later on so to speak. But learning "why" or "how" things are done isn't that important in my opinion.

Enjoy your game.

Thanks, this was actually helpful. We have a Spanish radio station here but it's just stuff you'd hear in a mexican restaurant, and it makes me stupid hungry. I'm in a hospital right now where 80% are Spanish speaking only, and it would be very helpful. We have an aide that talks to me in Spanish but I have yet to be able to converse. Thanks again.

The difference is that the spaniards try hard to communicate, while people in other countries don't give a fuck about foreigners

REEEEEEEEEE IT'S NUMBER TWO YOU FUCK

>Spanish is irrelevant
What did he mean by this?

I don't know, he's just a miserable cunt.
t. spanish expert

I learned a bit of Spanish in high school and now I'm learning Italian, so I can see how similar but different they are. Once I get a little bit fluent in Italian how difficult will it be to learn Spanish while separating the two? Or will I just end up thinking in some kind of spaintalian?