Is there any reason to root Android phones in 2017?

Is there any reason to root Android phones in 2017?

>phones are coming with decent update support
>most phones have theme support
>there are apps on the store allowing you to customize nav and status bar without rooting
>Android starting from 6, has great battery management
>some web browsers support adblock addons without rooting
>preinstalled apps are now just placeholders with ~40kb in size
>rooting phones triggers SafetyNet, blocking certain apps inmediately

Not really. ad blocking can be done with a local proxy.
All other things can be backed into the ROM.

I'll take the b8.
>decent update support
Only if you like the manufactuer UI, even then, there's still bugs (ie EMUI 5.0 and some honor phones)
>Theme support :
Paid or not
>Apps
Enjoy your botnet
>SafetyNet
Normieapps

Adblocking, Magisk and Xposed.

Even if there wasn't any reason I should still be able to do it without any problem. It's my fucking device. I should be able to do whatever the fuck I want with it.

Remove gapps

how am i gonna chroot into my archlinux image and run my ssh/http/ftp server without root?

No need to root after marshmallow.

You don't need to do that.

This.
>flash custom rom
>don't install gapps like they advice you to
>install yalp store

Comfiest phone experience ever.

if google wasn't so bad with their feature creep and authoritative walled garden it wouldn't be necessary

>yalp store
>not just fdroid

fdroid doesn't have my manga reading apps or other official apps

Having both suits all my needs though

>Normieapps

t.phoneposter

tachiyomi, openmanga or just use perfect viewer apk.
>official apps
enjoy your botnet

Yes, to install from without gapps

>enjoy your botnet
It's inevitable. Everyone in yurop uses whatsapp.

>rooting phones trigger safetynet
That's why you use Magisk you dumb dumb

The torrent apps on fdroid are trash.

Had to download utorrent to even download what I wanted.
Most clients wouldn't connect to peers, and one wouldn't let deselect filed I didn'twant.

Switch them to wire then

same here.
are you retarded?
>chinese cartoon
never mind...

chinese cartoon website
you must go back to /reddit/ onii-chan

I root on principle. It's MY fucking device. I paid extra for a phone I could root, even if the only thing I used it for is blocking ads.

>utorrent in current year of our lord
Use flud

my waifu supports this statement

Say that to the fagsung which release maximum two android versions for a flagship device, my S5 got abandoned at 6.0.1, but the funny part is that the S5 neo which is some cheaper version received upgrade to android nougat, bechause was released earlier. So if i want nougat or oreo on my S5 i must install the custom pajeet powered roms...

This is your brain on capitalism

I'm posting from an s5 neo right now... still no nougat in europe

>buy a device you "own" but not have control of it
This is equally retarded as not having sudo/su or admin permissions on your PC.

Lets me modify and lock down my phone significantly more then otherwise. No application has any access unless I flag it as such. My webbrowser is about the only thing I let touch the internet. Adblocking is a cherry on top of having actual control over your phone.

>>rooting phones triggers SafetyNet, blocking certain apps inmediately
Don't know of a single app that I care about that I lose out on. Most are social media trash or have web app versions.

is there any way for me to take out the fuckton of useless apps that my phone came with w/o rooting?

Snapchat

You could use casper instead, that's what I did some time back.

But I used it for one day and never touched it again since snapchat is shit.

Snapchat locked the api off, third party apps are dead.

Getting rid of Google shit and replacing it with free as in freedom alternatives from f-droid.
Blocking ads effectively.
Having control over what app can access the internet over which connection.
Having access to all parts of the filesystem.
Having control over your device in general.

Man, I guess I just don't get the appeal of snapchat since I'm in my 30s. If I was in high school today I'm sure I'd understand the appeal, but fuck that shit. I don't know a single person that uses it and I'm thankful for it.

Change your title to
>is there a reason to use android phones in 2017

The answer is no

>>rooting phones triggers SafetyNet, blocking certain apps inmediately
if you're an idiot yes

>system wide adblocking
>IP tables firewall

My cousins do. They just use it like regular text messaging and always take a 1 second low effort selfie for every message.

It's weird watching them do this at family gatherings. The selfie is always the same angle and same pose, like they practiced it with a mirror or something.

Torrent client on fdroid is the only torrenting program that I have had no issues with on android

I don't use any apps from the play store.
I don't want to be a part of google botnet.
I prefer adblock with host file than with a vpn
I want to keep the same smartphone for atleast 4 years without replacing the battery
I want csploit to work
I am the owner of my smartphone not google/xiami/samsung/etc, I MUST be able to do whatever I want with it.

Which one did you get?

>>is there a reason to use android phones in 2017
Clover

Samsung is now getting better. The S6 might get Oreo. If not, it gotten 2 major updates. If it gets Oreo, then it will rival Google. Hell, even the OG pixel was only promised two major updates.

i thought the android rom scene kinda fell off lately

as for rooting barely anything needs it

You must feel special using an os only 3 people in the world unironically use.

There is a chat feature like a normal messaging app

>Ctrl-F
>No DriveDroid
You've disappointed me again, Sup Forums

>Is there any reason to root Android phones in 2017?
Remove cancerous ads.

This. Can't wait for librem 5.

>i thought the android rom scene kinda fell off lately
It did. XDA is fucking dead at this point, only 2 or 3 guys care anymore at making custom roms, modules or kernels. The rest just create clones of those with shitty designs or more bloated. Some devs even dropped the scene because of how other pajeets just grabbed their work, edited 1 or 2 lines of code, and re-released them as "ORIGINAL WERK DU NOT STEAL"

Use Magisk Hide you dumb fuck.

Does rooting/installing LineageOS or similar remove the Google botnet from Android?

a sordid attempt at freedom

Did they choose Gnome or KDE in the end? Because I hate Gnome.

>implying rooting is all about ricing

How do you know?

>using proprietary garbage
Install BiglyBT or Breeze

GNOME is the default but installing KDE should be easy enough.

>Death is a preferable alternative to capitalism.

I root all my phones to delete gapps and preinstaled shit or install a better rom
>not tachiyomiEX with sadpanda support

Both. They will default to GNOME because that's what PureOS uses, but KDE Plasma Mobile will be available for the device as a "custom ROM". Though installing it will be much simpler than installing an Android ROM.
KDE for Librem 5 will be downloadable from the KDE site.

I don't use my phone for anything beside taking photos and hearing music in the go. Its set to plane mode 99 % of the time.

>Some devs even dropped the scene because of how other pajeets just grabbed their work, edited 1 or 2 lines of code, and re-released them as "ORIGINAL WERK DU NOT STEAL"
India was a mistake

Xxposed HAHAHAHA what an autistic idiot

Systemwide adblocking possible without it?

(you can do this with Termux without root)

I've tried Adblocking systemwide without root using DNS66 but it did not work. Anyone got it working?

I don't want to give gnomeme any support so I don't care about that meme phone.

It works you just have to disable or uninstall play store and play services. Replace it with yalp store and µG if you need to.

>tfw have xiaomeme Mi A1 with no custom ROM support (bought it for the supposed support it would have according to reddit)

Tethering? WiFi tethering?

>muh grandfathered unlimited data plan

Well, some might well enough go without root, but custom ROMs are still an absolute must.
I use root for
adaway(systemwide ad block)
diskdigger(if I accidentally delete something)
file manager(it's just more reliable with root, especially when doing something with OTG drives, also you can install apks without confirmation)
yalp(see above)
lucky patcher(self explanatory)
magisk(it's more than just root manager now)
Maybe I forgot something. Anyway, it never hurts to have root, it's just one more zip to flash.

Why just not use iOS ffs... Damn android peasants

Why would anyone use dumbphone firmware?

But its so faster than android, is made by apple, secured phone. Just superior in rvery way to android...

>But its so faster than android
Have you been living under a rock? It's slugfest when compared to android now.
>secured phone
Reported a pedo.

Hahahahahhahaha faster? I dont think so... And its safe not like android. And the customisation options MY GHOSH...

Do you have a lot of time and energies to waste?
Do you mean to post screenshots of your homescreen on Sup Forums or /w/ in order to get love and appreciation by NEETs around the world?
Are you paranoic about Google services spying on you?
Would you sacrifice efficiency for a simply better look and customization of your phone?

If your reply to one of these questions is "NO", then rooting your phone isn't recommendable.

gapps are good baka

Just trolling.. but rly when android is better why ppl stil buy that "every year same shit dumbphone".
I mean, specswise and software wise i find Android better. But ppl still buy that shit.
I just started to discover android flexibility and my god i love it.
3) what will happen to google and android in future, bcuz right now its obvious that android is hardware and software wise waay ahead ios crap. My opinion is that its not worth comparing those two just because ios is moderate and android is advanced in the "battle"

why not aptoide?

>decent update support
are there any phones that get 4+ years of updates? This isn't possible without flashing custom roms

>most phones have theme support
not as thorough as substratum.

>there are apps on the store allowing you to customize nav and status bar without rooting
what about other ui customizing?

>great battery management
yeah this one I'll give you. Rooting still is beneficial (greenify, kernel adiutor), but it isn't very significant.

>some web browsers support adblock addons without rooting
but you can get systemwide adblock by rooting

>preinstalled apps are now just placeholders
false. A normal phone comes with hundreds of megabytes of bloat

>rooting phones triggers safetynet
magisk hide exists

>preinstalled apps are now just placeholders with ~40kb in size
Explain this then:
MIUI - almost 2GB
LOS - 400MB

just a small correction greenify has a non root version now, but root is much better

The only thing I use Xposed for is gravitybox, which is useful but I'm starting to debate whether it is worth the battery hit. For some reason amplify isn't working for me.

I used to think Xposed was needed to get YouTube background playback until I found out about iYYBP, which doesn't even need root.

just use newpipe for background playback

You just need to install Snapchat and login before rooting, then root, and you will still be logged in. Also backup Snapchat so if you get logged out you can restore the app to a logged in state.

Yes I know about magisk, I can't install it because I don't have the default boot image or something since I didn't back it up.

I mainly use YouTube for music and like to have autoplay functionality in playlists. If newpipe ever adds this feature I will definitely migrate.

latest version of newpipe has playlist background playback support

> Also backup Snapchat so if you get logged out you can restore the app to a logged in state.
How?

titanium backup, but the much better solution is to not let snapchat know you're rooted using magisks hide feature

There was never a reason to root ever

Enjoy your botnet nee-chan

The only reason I used to root my phone was because I wanted adblock in my browser. Now I get Brave and it's not really necessary any more

Ask jennifer lawrence and the other bitches that got their nudes leaked aboout how secure is the ios

DELET !!!

>caring this much what someone else does with his phone
Ok bud.
I use amplify and MinMinGuard.

where can I get Tachiyomi EX?

>Decent update support
Maybe
Custom roms and kernels are still better and more feature rich than stock is
>Themeing
Yeah I guess
Most of the themeing I want to do involves removing/showing icons on the status bar, something not possible without root and custom roms
>Battery management
Yeah, greenify is still better though
>Adblock
I guess, I use adblock for in game ads though
>Preinstalled apps
I like the preinstalled apps of LG phones so whatevs
>Safetynet
No problem passing safetynet on aosp ex here (pic related)
Also, can't use lucky patcher or cheat engine without root access

yes if you want to strip DRM off kindle ebooks bought from amazon japan