/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Old thread () is autosaging on page eight.

Ask stupid questions that don't deserve a thread of their own here. Remember to Bing It before you bring it.

Other urls found in this thread:

revolvy.com
youtube.com/watch?v=f8FhsYTGOp8
www49.zippyshare.com/v/Qk9hzJ0S/file.html
amazon.com/dp/B074VLX5XV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

reposting:
My Thinkpad T60 is a model with a Radeon GPU, a mobility x1400, I think. For a few months now the open-source xf86-video-ati drivers, IIRC the only ones that work with modern Linux, have been working incredibly shittily with my GPU - I constantly get screen tearing and artifacts in KDE on Arch/Antergos, and now that I've booted up an Ubuntu live disk, all the windows render as black blocks. It used to work fine. Is there some kernel boot option I'm missing that could fix this, or do I have to downgrade to older drivers? If so, how? Does Ubuntu LTS 16.04 or 14.04 still have a working version or did it get updated over? Has anyone had this issue?

How come my system audio is extremely low even though the sound coming out of my speakers sounds perfect to me?

If I try and record desktop audio and play it back in chrome, it sounds extremely low even though when it was recorded it sounded fine to me. Pic related, me watching a video at perfect listening volume.

Oh yeah, I tried forcing the Vesa driver with video=vesa at boot on the ubuntu disk right now and it was usable, but still really jerky and ugly.

Can someone answer this question that doesn't involve simply using someones wifi or a temporary laptop? I'm looking for a home solution, nothing else.

can i use a VM to set up like 8 different environments on my machine for web hosting? say if I wanted to rent my hardware out for hosting people's portfolios or some shit, could i just set up a bunch of different VMs on the computers, do some port forwarding magic (not sure about this step especially), and create like 8 different systems?

or would it probably be easier to just do it all on 1 machine so that i don't have to allocate fixed pools of memory to these units? i feel like allocating 1gb per hosting plan would be solid for a basic service that i'd charge like $3 a month to use. allocate 1 of 8 cores to each user. i have 2 computers i can use for this so i could theoretically generate like $40 a month just for hardware i dont use anymore.

my internet speeds are 80mbps down, and about ~40 upload. 1TB of data usage per month (which i rarely come close to, and i live alone currently).

i already host a website on 1 computer at home but i'd like to maybe host 7 more off the machine and then use my other old machine and host more off of that one too. but configuring apache to handle 8 different websites seems like it would be a real PITA, i'd rather just set up 8 apache installations from scratch desu

>continuing...
also, vms seem like it would be ideal since i could give root access to these dummies and let them fuck up the virtual machine and have it be no skin off my back. offer some backup plan for an extra $1 month and just set up a cronjob to back it up to a main computer that won't crash and wont be open to dummies

sounds like you just have your speakers up extremely loud to compensate for the fact that the volume is really low. make sure the volume in all of these panels are all the way up if you haven't checked already.

if that's not the problem try reinstalling sound card drivers. if you're using generic drivers, try finding the official ones.

How do i root android phone? I checked wiki, i go to xda forum, what method to choose(pic related). I clicked first one but it says that they collect data. I don't like this at all
I'm sorry for dumb question i'm a brainlet and never had an android phone.

fuck sorry i forgot to ask this question also...

i have a 4 core hyperthreaded CPU--can i still allocate 8 cores to different virtual machines or is this not possible?

Which phone do you have?

Using the Tor browser while connected to a VPN has the advantage that your ISP won't be able to see that you're using Tor. (Your VPN provider will be able to. either way neither can read your Tor traffic) You can still fall victim to malware even in a VM, but its less likely and makes things much more difficult for the attacker if they want persistence. VM escape exploits exist, but are fairly rare and difficult to exploit. Much common malware does try to detect if its running in a VM - and then shuts down if it is, since it assumes that running in a VM means that its being analyzed by a security expert. Also a VM provides an easy way to get a clean slate each time, take a snapshot of the known-clean VM, then roll back to it later. (remember to update that snapshot when security updates come out, though)

So yes, without knowing any more specifics of your threat model, I'd say this is a pretty secure way to do things. You still have to do all the normal stuff, like disabling JS while using Tor and practicing proper opsec.

Old shitty Philips Xenium W732

After a decade of notebook use i wanna get a desktop again. Q: I used to have a dual monitor system. But now I see that hyperwide single monitors are being shilled. What is your opinion on multi versus single hyperwide monitor setup??

(pic almost but not quite related)

Of course everything is at 100.

I guess I could word the problem better:
Every volume option in windows is at 100. However in mixer, audacity, audition, etc, the levels are extremely low even though it sounds perfect to me.
If I were to record a video's audio in audacity, it would look almost like a flat line, even though playback sounds perfect. If I were to send the file to someone else, they would say they can hardly hear it.
My headphones are $20 chinese knockoffs that don't have working official drivers. I'm just using whatever windows default drivers.

i had that issue before and the problem was drivers/shitty ass sound card.

Bumping this.

Depends on the game honestly, a huge number of mixed results.

The NVS is not a gaming GPU but works as one.
But the intel IGPU was designed for it but its just a IGPU.

Are animated folder icons feasible in file explorer through some means?

Where can I find a VPN that suits my needs?
Just want torrenting and access to American services and shit.

Any recommendations or VPNs to avoid?

Noscript with firefox is going insane with these "noscript XSS warning"s "NoScript detected a potential Cross-Site Scripting attack
from revolvy.com to facebook.com.." Happens with many websites. Have to click block or accept many times. Not signed into facebook on my pc. What can be done?

I'm about to do a fresh install on a new machine. I have a Windows 7 disc, and upgraded to Windows 10 for free when that was an option.

If I install Windows on my new SSD from the 7 disc, will I still be able to upgrade to 10 for free if it's associated with that serial number or with a digital licence or something?

It's just not clear

Is buying recertified drives for RAID a good idea? I get regular warranty so in case one of them breaks down I'd just get it replaced and go on.

Using Vanilla music on android, when I download new music it doesn't show up right away. I usually have to do a manual scan. Is there something I'm missing or is it just really slow to recognize new music? Apollo found new music almost instantly.

Why not use a windows 10 ISO and avoid installing two OSs

I have six refurb 3TBs in a ZFS array. I scrub it weekly and none of thems given me any errors.

so its fine, but do use proper checksummed software RAID, not that mobo-integrated trash.

I have never pirated software before because I'm paranoid I'll get sued or some shit and or download some type of virus. But GIMP is total shit and found this photoshop download. The comments are pretty positive. Usually when something is fake the video gets downvoted heavily.

youtube.com/watch?v=f8FhsYTGOp8

Do you think its legit? It seems too easy
I've been seeing a few different CS6 links out there.
here's the link by the way
www49.zippyshare.com/v/Qk9hzJ0S/file.html

What does the i# mean on Intel processors and how do I know which is stronger or weaker for each number?

Just use torrents mate. Easier.

Will a 3rd gen i5 be enough to run dolphin/gamecube games?

Going to buy a X230 because i don't wanna carry a T400 anymore.

I rooted my Phone (Moto G5+) and it works okay(ish). Thing is when I reinstall superSU it has root (SuperSU and AdFree say so) But after a few minutes it states "no root detected". I can fix it by reinstalling SuperSU v.282 via TWRP again, but only for a few minutes, then The apps claim they have no root again. How do I make this permanent? / What to do so I don't have to reinstall everytime I want to change something?

Mate just use pirate bay (thepiratebay.org). Look for posts that have either a purple or green skull and look in the comments for anything about being caught. I have been pirating with my ISP IP in the open for ages not ONCE have I had troubles.

Pirating is a very minor concern for ISPs, they care more if you're hacking or downloading CP.

Also that link and vid seems beyond suss, I'd just use pirate bay.

I think that's pretty normal, I used Rocket Player and you pretty much need to manual scan as well, it's not that big of a deal though.

are you on a custom rom?

First number is generation, second number is version, third number is refresh, 4th number is to difference them, The letters mean K= Unlocked, C=Improved Cache and graphics, U=Ultra low voltage/ULV, M= Mobile.

Atom=5w or less CPUs
Pentium = Just werk CPUs, 2 cores/ 2 threads.
I3 = 2 cores/ 4 threads.
I5= 4 cores / 4 threads, also Turboboost.
I7 = a i5 with hypertreading.

This changed with coffee lake though, pentiums are i3s now and i3 lost hyperthreading.

Pentiums divide in 2 sections the GXXXX and the NXXXX.
G series are the desktop CPUs.
N series are the power saving Atom/Celeron rebrands.

Is there a reason that I was not able to enter the BIOS with my GPU plugged in?

not this user, but I'll expand on his post a bit >K = unlocked
what he means by this is that you can overclock the CPU. If a CPU does not end in K, you won't be able to oc it.
in mobile processors, HQ means quad core.

also something to note is that the core/thread count he gave is not always accurate in laptops. There are some i5s that are dual core/quad thread, and the same applies to i7s.

How can I get rid of anterior pelvic tilt?

Okay, thanks. How long have you had them?
>do use proper checksummed software RAID, not that mobo-integrated trash.
Yeah, I'm actually going to use ZFS array on FreeNAS or maybe regular FreeBSD if won't be able to get it to work the way I want. Already got it running with some old HDD for testing (and so far I can't get it to work the way I want).

hey, my flatmate tryed to put his computer on the tv to display anime and stuff (via hdmi) but no sound on the tv
he's using manjaro, any idea how to fix the problem?

Yeah i forgot that part.
Only HQ CPUs have the full core count.
M and U series only will have half core count and usually have hypertreading.

Gitlap vs Github?
As of know I only know the difference that is Gitlap is made by an Ukrainian and Github is made by some guy who got fired from his company for harassing some female with his wife

Any other differences and which one would you recommend?

Go to the sound mixer and choose an output device , probably HDMI stereo

Try to reduce sitting, stretch, strengthen specific muscles

hdmi doesn't appear in it

So if I'm trying to upgrade from my i5 3570K @3.40, then what is the key element to look for in the numbers to know which is better? Would it be the refresh rate?

>i5 2570K
>i5
ok this means it is 4 cores and 4 threads
>K
this means you can overclock the CPU.

If you do overclock, then make sure the next CPU you get also ends in K. If you're planning on getting a ryzen processor, I believe they are all unlocked so you don't need to worry about that.

The numbers themselves won't tell you which is better, and the speed of the processor doesn't necessarily make it better. I would recommend looking at some benchmarks and comparing scores between your own cpu and what you're considering buying.
Just out of curiosity, how much are you planning on spending on the upgrade?

Refresh rate is barely relevant this days since you cant exactly compare CPUs between generations with it.

What are you doing that you want to upgrade your CPU? Are you aware that you have to upgrade your motherboard and RAM aswell?

I have had the CPU for a few years and just think it's time to replace it as I have with all my other parts after upgrading overtime. I also think it may be becoming weaker. It's the only part I've had since my PCn was built four years ago except for the case

Github is sjw fest and you have to censor your self to not upset the rancid sjw community and have your code investigated and force fixed against your will

Is 1080p retarded for a 27" monitor? Will my eyes bleed when I finally get my cables in the mail? I need to know before it's too late.

yes don't get anything above 25" if it's only 1080

Incorrect

either I'm retarded or this chart is, because it doesn't make sense to me.
If I'm interpeting this correctly 27" monitor at a distance of about 2 feet should ideally be 8k?

According to this chart (I'll be viewing at about 2 feet) I should get an 8k monitor. I don't even think those exist yet.

amazon.com/dp/B074VLX5XV

Would this be a dumb purchase?

>2 feet
Yall fuckers need to scoot your chair back a few feet.Yes your eyes will bleed if your fucking face is 2 feet from the god damn monitor.IT could be 240p and your eyes will still bleed

Jesus christ

>only a few feet
dumbass, 30 feet should be the minimum

this chart is retarded, don't listen to him.
If you really want a 27" monitor I would recommend going for 1440p

it doesn't seem that bad as far as gaming laptops go, but I'm not a big fan of gaming laptops in the first place. I've been there before and came to the conclusion that building a desktop and buying a cheap chromebook (install linux) is a much nicer solution.

do you have some form of advanced autism?

I just don't have the room or the permanence of residence for a desktop right now.

are "sales" positions horrible?

just got a call about an interview @ staples about a "technology sales" position

...A few feet? How do you reach your peripherals? I surely can't do so, even with my peripheral platform fully extended.

What's the best free VPN to use? I want to use American Netflix.

why the fuck would you go through the effort of doing all that when you could just pirate all the movies/tv you want to?

>free vpn in america
>to watch netflix

You'll have to start loading your content at least a few hours in advance.

whats a good 1080p 60hz IPS for around $150?

I asked something similar earlier. You know much about VPNs?
Willing to pay

If I were to get a standing desk and just not sit could that fix it?

Just look at some reviews, man. If a company makes a lot of money they probably have something good to offer.

>How long have you had them?
about a year and a half.

are you my dead grandmother? she believed that old wives' tale about "don't sit too close to the TV" too.

if its free you get what you pay for.

You rarely have to upgrade your CPU, unless you have a high end GPU from this generation there is nothing wrong with it.

What are some good mice for people with big hands. I want to use it for mostly games but I would rather it didn't have a gaymer aesthetic.

What's a computah?

Didn't get any answers last time so reposting.

Hi Sup Forums. I have around 11tb of important data I do not want to lose. What is the best way to preserve this data long-term?

Specifically:
>1. Which is the best storage method
and
>2. How do I protect the data from degrading/losing quality over time?

Any answers will be much appreciated.

thumb operated trackball my man, takes a couple hours to get used to at the most, and you'll never go back to a regular mouse

What was the website that showed random videos with cool information? It was something like, turn off your tv or close to that.

how important is important? I ask because paid offsite storage is the way to go to keep yo shit safe and secure, but you gotta pay for it

define "long-term" and "best"

I would prefer a one-time cost for the solution rather than an ongoing.

Long-term: as long as possible. Ideally forever if possible.
Best: lel cheapest and least effort.

in that case, invest in a tape setup and keep your backup tapes in a safe deposit box. if you don't have shit offsite then anything happens to your house then all sets of data you have will be fucked instead of being able to restore from shit you have saved elsewhere

you'll never store anything forever without ongoing effort and expense. no matter what you use you have to keep and test backups and move them onto newer media over time. you'd probably be irked if you wanted your old backups and discovered that they were on Zip disks.

I have a GTX 1070.

Output is 2.1 a
It has a 2.1a port and a 1.0a port.
How can this be?

I've looked into tapes before but they seemed a little expensive and inaccessible for someone like myself who isn't incredibly knowledgeable on the subject. Are they definitely the way to go for now if I want to maintain my data for as long as possible?

Would you mind recommending me a retard-proof and relatively inexpensive guide or setup or something please?

Also, I understand that. I don't mind paying for new media but like I said, I would prefer not to have any ongoing costs if I can help it.

It it possible to have an Sup Forumsentoo install with this as coreutils?

It's 3.1A total?
Or maybe the "2.1A" port fill fall to 1.1A if you plug two devices is?

RTFM

Yes. Read the gentoo wiki

Tapes last a long time if stored properly, but you need a drive that can read them. And an LTO-X drive will only read tapes from generation X and X-1. Also the tapes are cheap per terabyte but the drives are expensive, unless you get something old enough that its too small. Optical discs are too small for that much data. They can last a long time if stored well, but cheap ones don't. Hard drives are ubiquitous and easy to plug into any computer, but they're also physically fragile.

The way I solved it was just building a NAS box with redundant HDDs using ZFS. I made proper backups of a small subset of important stuff, and the rest I just accept that some risks I'm not protected from, like my house burning down.

Hey Sup Forums complete retard here, why is my tryparse not working on this shiet

Thank you for the response. Is it viable to maybe just buy a 12tb hard drive and copy everything over then store it somewhere safe?

The other thing I was concerned about was data degradation. Any tips on reducing/eliminating that? Is it less of a problem on drives that are almost never used and only stored?

Did they unfuck 4chanX for Firefox Quantum yet?

No, I'm on the stock OS

I am writing a css file for my usercontent for a site.
I know I have the right class named in the CSS file and I want to set a new background-image.
When I inspect it, the css rules show the a different background-image rule with load.php as the origin.
Is there any way to prevent this?

I'm not sure if 12tb drives have made it to retail yet (as opposed to server makers and enterprises with expensive preferred-customer contracts) so you might have to split up your data.

ZFS has checksumming (as does btrfs) so it can catch bit rot. It can correct it too, but only if there's redundancy (read: several drives) available.

Yeah you are bottlenecking it with your CPU so it justifies your upgrade.

Any recommendations then? Or at least minimum requirement for best performance out of that GPU? CPUs have always been the component that I just can't wrap my head around understanding.

As long as you use an older version of grease/tamper/violent monkey you should be fine.
You may have to go back 2-4 revisions but it does work

What is your question?

Okay, that is good to know, so I just need to buy several 6~tb drives and set up ZFS?

I5-8600k with a Z370 motherboard.
Or AMD R7 1700X or better with a X370 motherboard.

Intel is somewhat out stock right now.
If you have questions and doubt's about what choose and upgrade check
Any modern mid-high end CPU will be enough.