/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds WITHOUT a dedicated graphics card
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds WITH a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/thGZsJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/rQv9f8
evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G2-0750-XR
pcpartpicker.com/list/chpPM8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Better for the consumer
Nigger I need a new fucking motherboard already and it hasn't even arrived yet

Am I getting cucked by Intel if I buy aZ370 board with 8th gen chip now? Is Z390 worth waiting for?

AMD doesn't have this problem

If I have windows 10 laptop can I use it's product key to get windows?

>new tech is better
Wow. Zen 2 won't even come close to those 8 core Intel i7s on an absolute performance basis so the AM4 socket is just as outdated

Having said that AMD could compete on a price/perf basis if all you need is multithreaded perf. Also pretty much any high end CPU is super overkill for gaming, so you'll be able to safely get a midrange AMD CPU if you want to support the underdog.

Nice fanboyism to go with your feminine dick

Welp just as I was about to pull the trigger. I've no idea what to do now

Wtf? Fag? Stealing my question?

But it doesn't, its an objective fact that amd is supporting am4 till 2020

You're getting cucked by buying coffee lake

are you 12?

Be the good go~ I mean guys and buy z370 motherboard now and z390 later.

>Cpu i don't like that isn't released has no chance against cpu i like that isn't released because *citation needed*
>Nice fanboyism
t. intel fanboy

DELID

I need an external monitor for my old macbook.
Purpose: programming. A good glossy monitor that can be turned into portrait mode is what I need.
Size: at least 20"
DPI: at lest 130
I don't need anything fancy like 4K@9000Hz since the output is limited by thunderbolt 1 speed.
What are my options?

I already own the Monitor and the Videocard
Am I finally doing it right?
pcpartpicker.com/list/thGZsJ

>being a macfag
just buy a macbook 2017 like a good goyim

Just waiting for a 1060 3gb or 580 4gb to go under $200

>Locked cpu
>nearly 2018
no, you arent

I need an additional monitor, not a new shiny thing.

>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks)
Next time you post this I'm going to make a woman out of you

Anyone who buys this APU to browse the net and use netflix is a moron for the following reason Anyone who buy it for 720p Low Settings 20FPS gaming is moron because Zen/Vega APUs are right around the fucking corner, and they'll be amazing

>haven't used desktop PC for over 10 years
>was debating to either get 24 or 27 inch monitor
>got 24 and it's fucking huge
Thank god I didn't get 27 one. Is my memory bard or 100 years ago screens were way smaller?

neither are going to be that cheap, if you want 1060 3gb performance then just get a rx 570, they are under $200 now it seems

you need to stop being a macfag

you need to stop being autistic

Idk. I started with 12" CRT, but now even 27" feels a bit small.

>reddit spacing

Get two 4gb sticks of ram instead of 1 8gb stick

The rx570s power consumption will reduce his savings in a couple months
Can you tell me why you keep shilling MSI optic?

No get one stick of 8gb so you can upgrade to 16gb down the road

Okay, I stopped being a macfag. Now I'm a user of an unbranded laptop with thunderbolt 1 output. And I need and external monitor.

>too dumb to undervolt
Maybe you should let real people talk, no one cares about the opinion of a retard.

>locked cpu
>2018
So what your saying is, is that intel is going to release another MOBO type to compensate their next generation of processors and that Coffe Lake is a trap to keep me buying new motherboards where as AMD doesn't do that?

thinking about replacing my predator x34 because I can't justify it to myself. What should i get to replace it alongside my u2515h? 16:9 1440 or 4k?

No seriously you need to stop being a macfag and only macs have thunderbolt I think

You do realize 4 times 4 equals...16gb right?

Don't even tell him to get 32gb of ram you colossal faggot

Pretty much

You are several years late. The only way to stop using this laptop is to buy a new one. You want be to buy something I don't need?

Who gives a shit? The only thing that matters is the CPUs released on the platform. You're probably one of those retards who suggests an R7 1700 because the AM4 platform will be "supported" and you can buy ANOTHER eight core CPU two years from now that will increase your multithreaded performance by a whopping 30%. God damned retard. Stop falling for the marketing memes

>le reddit
Why don't you go back there if you can't get it out of your mind, retard.

>Can you tell me why you keep shilling MSI optic?
Because

give me the cheapest good 144hz 1080p monitor RIGHT NOW

Undervolt and drop your performance further down? Its already weaker than 1060
I never once implied that oh wise PC builder. Why do you want to create useless clutter!?

MSI OPTIX, OR CAN'T YOU READ?

Looking for a graphics card upgrade under $170. Are there any good Cyber Monday deals?

Why would you not want to be running in dual channel..?

useless clutter...ffs stop trolling idiot

you need to stop being a macfags, so yes you do need to get something different

So are there proofs that intel is going to release another generation next year making my coffee lake purchase pointless?

will you hang yourself when the next flagship cpu is a 12 core on the same socket

AMD shit doesn't lose performance by undervolting, thank AMD fucking awful tuning for the lowest common demoniator for that

Intel literally says themselves that they are launching z390 and cannonlake summer 2018 and summer 2018 is when z370 and coffee lake will be 100% unsupported and EOL

>you don't need new hardware but yes, you do need to get something different
I wonder who I'm talking to.

Doesn't matter whether you buy an i5 8400 or an R5 1600 right now. Both are amazing for gaming, and you can still get a better CPU later for either platform years down the line when they're finally actually meh for gaming. CPUs are super overpowered for gaming so you really don't have to worry about getting outdated hardware except on a price/perf basis (which is why you shouldn't buy Kaby Lake right now: not because it's bad at gaming but because it's overpriced).

Someone who isnt a macfag

BUT FUCK AMD I LOVE INTEL

>will you hang yourself when the next flagship cpu is a 12 core on the same socket
Will you hang yourself when you come out of your anally stimulated bliss and realize that you've been taking the cock for the past years and then got a hot load of another 8 core flagship CPU dumped on your face?

I think he's teasing you because your mentally unstable. I wouldn't be surprised if you were Terry.
Nope
Why would you be wanting to run in quad-channel. Its ddr4(dual-channel) for a reason ;^)
You can bet your sweet baby Jesus on it. There's money to be made.
Seems viable though fiddling with shit is tedious.
Hot

I have an all AMD build, nigger. I'm just not delusional like you

You're probably looking at the GTX 1060 3GB

So what happens if my RAM isn't on my mobo's QVL? Does it just not work or something?
Or does it just not overclock?
Or is it something else entirely that OP's trying to warn me about?

AMD FAGGOT RETARD

pcpartpicker.com/list/rQv9f8
My budget is about 2600~, but as long as it's close it's not a big deal. This build is for gaming, and I was hoping to play vr games as well. The monitor is 1440p 144hz. Is there anything important I missed, or any good deals I should be aware of?

If you think a fucking slider is tedious i don't think you belong on this board

So I bent my CPU socket and the only downfall is I can't run dual channel. Should I take a risk and try to straighten it or should I just leave with it. The YouTube tutorial seems easy peasy but Im legally blind without glasses and have scrawny marfan fingers.

The only reason I'd rather not get a Ryzen is because as the OP stated you have to do some shit to make it work with Windows 7 and you have to make sure your ram cards are compatible.

As a beginner PC builder that turns me off to it even if it might be pretty simple to resolve.

>Why would you be wanting to run in quad-channel.

quad is obviously better than dual do you even computer?

MORE CORES, MORE CHANNELS, MORE BETTER

You should be aware that a locked cpu in a $2600 pc is beyond fucking stupid

Why is my r9 380 running pubg better than my vega 56?

Its way easier than it sounds

I thought it was one of the OCable ones. Thanks for the heads up. There is an 8400k, right? Or would I be better off just going with an 8700?

because gooks cant program

Swap that CPU user, for the price you can do a fuck ton better.

evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G2-0750-XR

sale ends today

Why not just bend the memory in the socket until it fits?

But even then it should run like shit on both card. Yet I get stable 60fps on 380 and even tho I get higher fps on vega I get drops all the time to even 10 fps. Those drops never happen on 380.

>There is an 8400k, right?
no

>Or would I be better off just going with an 8700?
you would be better off getting a ryzen 5 1600 instead

Hire someone who isn't defective to do it for you user.

What? I bent some pins in the cpu socket and results in two of the RAM slots stopped working.

You're going to have as much or more trouble getting Win7 to run on Coffee Lake (or even Kaby Lake for that matter). The process will be similar
The last Win7 platform was Skylake

Monitor is a little weak. There's a 1440p Samsung in the OP that's way better.
Don't listen to the dumbasses who are meming about unlocked CPUs. The only unlocked Coffee Lake you should be getting is the i7 8700K. i5 8600K is worthless because the i7 8700 is price right above it

Its literally a shit game and you should refund it

Thanks.

What should I grab instead? Would the R5 1600X be a better deal?

How long will it take for the 1060 to drop in price? It's now just barely under MSRP.

finally ordered all my shit senpai
pcpartpicker.com/list/chpPM8
should i waste more money and get a ups?

1600 non x is a better deal

Tried. They charge me 2/3 the price of a new mobo.

Fug, well I say it's worth the risk of you doing it instead.

why did you buy arctic silver but no cooler? Can't imagine it's going to be worth it to go through all that effort just to use slightly better thermal paste on your stock cooler.

Also, evga has those PSU's on sale for half that price on their website.

how the fuck did you bend a cpu socket?

>all and
How's your electricity bill?
It means if it doesn't work its your problem. It'll most probably work though. Ram manufacturers pay/ask mobo manufacturers to list them on their QVL and their duly tested for compatibility. But just because it hasn't been tested doesn't mean it won't work. I think the compatibility comes from the timings and speed of the ram. So if something similar is already listed you could use another manufacturers ram that has the same specs. Still a gamble in the end.
K means unlocked. If your gonna throw that much money around you should atleast do alil research.
More cock to suck on. Stop advising retarded shit you nutter
I somewhat agree. Plus its poorly optimized game that's why its dropping.
Having it at msrp is deal enough

>It will be worse on coffee lake
OP should pastebin a guide for that.
I guess I'm going AMD, you win CPUwar shitposters.
I refuse Windows 10.

Slipped the CPU while installing it. Just a few cm above but I think was enough to bent some sockets. I actually haven't inspect it yet but google tells me it's the most probable reason why my ramslots dont work.

If your OC get the 1600x its better binned
Pic related

If you're going for a Windows VM / GPU passthrough build you're doing it wrong
Having said that I don't have a lot of experience with that type of build

>locked cpu memes
Fuck off.

For the price, the i5 8400 is a top tier gaming CPU.

>you would be better off getting a ryzen 5 1600 instead
>better off
Nothing wrong with the R5 but let's be reasonable

Pic related

>How's your electricity bill
I shit the burden to my housemates
You should have seen it when I had a 280X
The wattage difference between my 470 and a 1060 isn't much in real terms though (as opposed to percentage terms)
My FX 6350 is hot as hell though. Glad it's winter finally

>Pic related

>If you're going for a Windows VM / GPU passthrough build you're doing it wrong
how so

I've seen a number of benchmarks that show quite significant performance improvements with the 1600x OC'd to 4ghz. Why is that when it turbo boosts to 4ghz at stock?

Bout to pull the trigger on 16gb (2x8gb) ddr4 for $150.
My old pair of 8gb (2x4gb) is manufacture-tested at 3200mhz but I'm running it at base 2133mhz. It's mostly the capacity I need for my VMs. The new stuff is for 2400mhz but I'll likely keep running it at 2133mhz. I finished this build recently so this is all a bit past my budget and eating into my Christmas shopping (I seriously can't buy anything rest of the year), so should I go about trying to sell the old pair locally? I don't want the hassle of setting up shop online for one item. I guess if they play nice together 24gb would be cute but completely superfluous and, like I said, doesn't help my budget but maybe someone can convince me otherwise.

The old pair msrp is about $100 and would be in use for less than two weeks once the new sticks arrive if I order now. Does $70 sound like a good price? Anyone have experience selling like this or should I cut some more losses and sell it to a 3rd party? I don't have the boxes because of overzealous relatives over for Thanksgiving, but I do have antistatic bags of course. Appreciate any input.

Turbo is single core; OC is all core

You have to use xen if you're using Ryzen and the tuts / guides are pretty sparse. Also you have to get that GT 1030 instead of just using the iGPU on an Intel CPU. Buying a GT 1030 destroys the price/perf of Ryzen, and you'll be stuck with only 4c/8t in your VM (probably) so you can expect rather mediocre performance as compared to the 4c that you could allocate from an i5 8400

>turbo boost.
I didn't know ryzen had that. But most 1600 can't even reach 4ghz. And the 1600x just makes it more likely at winning the silicon lottery.

Oh I didn't realise, thanks.

Are there any good AMD graphics cards for 1080p 60FPS?

it still doesn't explain why it doesn't drop fps at all on 380, while the drops on vega even last a few seconds. Changing the settings doesn't affect it at all. I monitored it a bit in msi afterburner and for some reason everytime the drops happen my vega downlocks to the lowest clocks. It doesn't happen on 380.

Don't see why not

>You have to use xen if you're using Ryzen
not any more. npt bug got fixed. you have to apply the patch yourself though.
>only 4c/8t in your VM
for the time being
it will get me by for now. im going to resell the 1600 and get an 8 core when zen 2 or 3 comes out. i wont have to get a new mobo like i would with intel