Monitors: Whats too big?

I'm considering upgrading to a 4K monitor (for graphic design not gaming), and wanted to know whats the public opinion on ideal monitor sizes. I'm on a 21 inch right now and definitely want to go bigger. There is a 32 inch BenQ monitor I'm looking at, but that seems like it would be too big? But honestly I don't know because I've never used anything bigger than a 23 inch.

So what do you think? Whats ideal? Whats too big?

anything bigger than 27 if you don't do actual work is pointless. Beyond 30 is totally pointless unless you have a super good peripheral vision

24"/27" seems to be the sweet spot.

Unless you wanna spend like 10k on your rig and overall setup, there's little reason to go for the 40" ultrawide, curved monitors. I'd wager 32" would be pretty neat as well. Not too big but just big enough.

Just get what feels good.

I bought a 32" LG 4K and I've been really impressed with it. Thought it was going to be too much but it's absolutely not. And it has a dpi that lets you run no scaling while still having readable text.

depends on how far away from it you can sit. I find anything larger than 27" on your standard desk, to be rough on the eyeballs.

I've been using a 32" for years and I'm going to replace it with a 27" as my main and a 24" that can be rotated, as the secondary. That setup is better for multitasking and if I just want to focus on one screen, it doesn't end up being overwhelming.

4K is a scam. Color quality and contrast ratio would be more important for a graphic designer.

Same here, I have a 32" main and 23" secondary. Going to change the 32 to a 27 with higher resolution and refresh rate. I do video work professionally and even then the 32 is just too big in my face all day.

Low 20s, dual monitor set up. With a TN directly in front and an ips to the side.

Curved monitors are a meme, you can split the screen, but you'll always be in the center of the split. It's retarded, don't buy em.

40" is the limit. I used a 50" TV as a monitor for a while but it was a bit too big.

27" is too small at 4K. all ui's will be hard to see and you'll just wind up st 150% DPI like a fag. Get a 40" and relax your eyes.

scale ppi 4K FHD 1440p
-----------------------------------
1x 96 45.8" 22.9" 30.5"
1.25x 120 36.7" 18" 24.4"
1.5x 144 30.5" 15.2" 20.3"
1.75x 168 26.2" 13.1" 17.4"
1.875x 180 24.4" 12.2" 16.3"
2x 192 22.9" 11.4" 15.2"

don't complain about scaling after your stupid purchase

4K 32" IPS monitor with PbP and PiP would be ideal. Add a tiling window manager and you're all set for anything you would want more than one monitor for.

Would be great for PCI-passthrough, could use half the screen for Linux, the other half for Windows if I desired, or while playing a game have Linux playing a video in a corner.

ah, although if you're in front of it all the time, TN would work just fine, save the slightly more washed out colors.

So monitor brands don't matter anymore?

I just downsized from a 49" LG UHD TV to a 43" proper monitor (LG 43UD79-B).
The changes in felt sharpness and size weren't even noticeable to me honestly, but the improvement in input lag was nice.

For graphic design maybe you need more dpi, but as a coder, more real estate has been very valuable over the years, with even my old 30" 16:10 2560x1600 feeling too cramped. A 40+" UHD lets me display up to 240 visible legible lines of code with a 9x6px font, and the only way to do better than (or even close to) that is using a bunch of portrait mode screens and dealing with the bezels, which I can also say sucks.

Bought a 31.5" AOC 4K one last week and is equally impressed by it

I was in the same boat and was very skeptical of going to 32" from 23". I felt it was going to be too big but boy was I wrong! I got a quad hd 32" HP Envy media display last year and absolutely love it! I have a LG 32UD59B 4k coming this wednesday to pair with my quad hd HP 32". ($379 @ Microcenter and got BestBuy to price match).

Trust me user, go for 32". It's ideal!

It's too big when pixel pitch becomes more than just noticeable at a given viewing distance at native resolution. That's my rule.

32" 4k with no scaling is great way to get your eyes royally fucked. Anything above 90 ppi is unhealthy and you are running like 140. I'm guessing you are in very early twenties and don't use you desktop for work.

24" 1920*1200 monitors are the perfect size.

43" 4k monitors are the perfect size.
Multitasking is unparalleled, Vertical space is unparalleled.

It's great for games other than MOBAs of course you can run anything in windowed mode.

> 4K is a scam
That's just silly though I agree that color quality and contrast ratio are important. But these things apply to any resolution, don't they? A good IPS panel is preferable to a shitty TN panel and a VA panel is better than a TN if you can't afford to go IPS - at ANY resolution. Don't care if it's 1080p or 1440p or 4k, this holds true at any resolution.

As for size, I like 27-28" for 4k.

27" isn't "too small" for 4K, you're talking about disadvantages of using a shitty OS without proper HiDPI support.

youll get used to everything. my first monitor was 14", then i swaped to 23" lcd which was huge... for about two weeks untill i got used to it, then 8 years ago i started using 40" tv as my computer screen. same scenario. huge at forst, quickly gotten used to it. so it boils down to how much space avaible/money you have

It really depends on your setup. I've found that 24" is the perfect size for my desk. Even moving up to 27" makes things a little uncomfortable and means that things like IPS glow are more noticeable.

32 inch is fine. I went from 24 to 32 and wouldnt go back. Ips glow is a little apparent when its black but thats unavoidable

28" 16:10 is about as big as you want for a normal desk setup, otherwise you'd see the edges at awkward angles.

30" and above are for curved ultrawides or greater distances.

Pretty sure anyone using a 4K monitor is using at least 150% scaling.

>Unless you wanna spend like 10k on your rig and overall setup, there's little reason to go for the 40" ultrawide, curved monitors
Having a 4K monitor is more demanding on the GPU than having any ultra-wide monitor, because 21:9 2160p monitors don't exist.

With 4K I would go at least 27", otherwise you don't really have the benefit of having more screen space, but I wouldn't go above 32", because at that point you start to lose the benefit of having higher DPI.

You should kill yourself for falling for the "looking at small text gives you eye aids" meme. 32" is pretty much like having 4 15.6" 1080p monitors anyway, and 15.6" 1080p monitors are perfectly usable without scaling.