/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

avsforum.com/t/831193/how-to-add-the-vista-audio-enhancements-to-the-x-meridian
canpicker.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=u8fKfPq1_So
youtube.com/watch?v=6sUwvQO15gw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anyone get the Sennheiser ie800S that came out last month?

>no feet
need new thread

You need to do some registry editing to make Equalizer APO work with many DACs. avsforum.com/t/831193/how-to-add-the-vista-audio-enhancements-to-the-x-meridian
You need to have another audio device which has the enhancements tab in Windows, then copy the registry information from that audio device to the E10k section of your registry as described in that link.

What's the second best headphone behind the MA900?

I dunno...how about the ATH-A990Z? Those seem nice...

I guess I can backlink
It feels like it's clamping my head, especially the area above the ears.

I'll look into it, thanks.

>Budget
$50-150

>Location
US

>Source
Phone

>Type of headphone
IEM - wireless/bluetooth

>Comfort Level
Wearing them a few hours at a time - noise cancellation is more important

>Sound
Balanced I suppose

>Past Headphones
Kyoo-Up O42, Sennheiser HD 280, Klipsch IMAGE S4, Sennheiser HD555, Sennheiser HD 280

Need wireless/bluetooth phones since my phone's headphone jack is fucked.

Happy birthday chihaya!

Wow, seemed like /hpg/ got a boost in IPs, partly drowning out the shitposters

this

Thanks again for this information.

What does /hpg/ listen to today?

The HD558 has a very light clamp, if it's bothering you then you really do need to consider clip-ons like KSC75.

>pendulum
mah nigga

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Ouch, late again, user! Not that you would have been correct anyway
Which are poorly sealed MA900s, btw

Alright lads, I'm requesting advice

>Budget
Up to $200. Will buy an amp and spend extra on it.
>Location
USA
>Source
Laptops, phone, and iPod classic, sometimes home stereo.
>Type of headphone
BIG HONKIN' FULL SIZE
>Open or closed
Closed. I need something where the sound won't bleed out or in much. Active noise cancellation isn't required, but I fly 1-2 times a month, so I'd like to cut down on bleedy sounds.
>Comfort level
High. I need something I can wear 12+ hours a day.
>Sound signature
Neutral.
>Past headphones
Mostly earbuds. Most full size headphones I've tried have been uncomfortable to wear. I borrowed a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 2s for a week and despite the hate for them in most audiophile circles they were much comfier than other headphones I have tried.
>Other
Please no wireless headphones.

imagine being such a greasy, autistic neckbeard that you literally sit on Sup Forums and post the same thing in a general every thread.

Ath-msr7

Also, I would prefer a detachable cable that can be replaced for under $25 if it breaks.

These looks pretty good my lad, and they clearly label which ear they're for so I can avoid any serious screwups. Anything I'd need to worry about with them being Japanese imports? If I needed to get them fixed would it be a problem?

to my knowledge nope. cable is replaceable as well.

If you need an alternative check out the beyerdynamic custom one pro.

theyre enhanced for anime and hentai so keep that in mind

Disgusting. Any American headphones? Grado? Koss?

because of the sales going on

Are these a reddit meme or are they genuinely good for 5 dollars

they sound great for 5 bucks but they actually suck and are uncomfortable

Sure.
>genuinely good - yes
>genuinely good for $5 - yes
>GOD-SLAYER EARBUDS OF JUSTICE THAT SMITE ALL THROUGHOUT THE LAND FOR THE LOW, LOW PRICE OF 5 DOLLARY-DOOS - not really

Y I N C R O W

Grado is bright as fuck, koss hasn't been relevant for years outside of their electrostatic model for headphones.

they're good for $5. But that's it, good for $5.

If you're okay with IEMs, consider the kz zs3 or zst

I sold my STAX after hearing these

Currently own m40x thinking about jumping to aeon closed. Are there any closed back with a similar sound I should get in between that.

>buying 700 dollar mid-fi closed cans
why dont you just go open?

i find iem's uncomfortable for wearing around the house and those are great for casual listening

Currently using hd600 with bottlehead crack at home but want something better for work and when i'm traveling or need to use closed back.

Just got my HD6XX, hooked it up to my NFB-11.28.

No goddamn bass, I'm not usually a basshead but I really feel like shit's missing from the songs. I didn't feel this way when I borrowed a friend's HD 800, am I going to have to upgrade?

My sennheiser HD380 cable is almost bent, and new cables look like they are about $50, the same thing happened to my original cable and I had to order this one from sennheiser.

Is there a cheaper solution instead of rebuying their finicky cables over and over?

Unless you really want to take that plunge, maybe see if you can take a day on a weekend or something to demo them first (meetup, high-end store, review tour, etc). You might want to look into AT's closed high-end line, too. (ATH-ADxx0Z / ADx000Z). They're often overlooked, but offer a solid, balanced sound with good comfort. Just my 2 cents though, it's your money.

[spoiler]USE IT WHEN YOU NEED IT. CALL J.G. WENTWORTH TODAY[/spoiler]

what headphones do you usually use?
hd650s have a pretty good amount of bass

M1060, which aren't exactly bass cannons.

>MA900
No sub-bass, no upper mids.
Low fidelity garbage.

Do I have too many headphones?

AKG K501, AKG Q701, Beyerdynamic T1, Sennheiser HD600, Sennheiser HD420, Sennheiser HD425, Sennheiser HD280, Stax Lambda Nova Basic S/N B00206, ESS Mark 1 AMT, AKG K240 Sextett, Audio Technica ATH-ES5, Audio Technica ATH-ESW9, Audio Technica ATH-EP700, Sony DR-Z5. Sony MDR-V3, Sony MDR-V5, Sony MDR-V6, Sony MDR-7506, Etymotic HF5, Koss Porta Pro, Koss Porta Pro X, Koss KSC75, Lyx Pro OEH-10 (Modded), Pioneer Monitor 10, Pioneer SE-11, Yamaha YH-1 S/N 191820, Yamaha YH-3 S/N 060723

>Do I have too many headphones?
No.

Quick user! That's your cue to post your headphones!

Nice monitors. I currently have the basic bitch monitors, JBL LSR305s. If I shelled out the money for an upgrade to those or something on the same tier, probably Genelecs or HEDDs, what improvements would I hear? Trying to figure out if it's worth upgrading. Volume's not a problem, I'm using them in a small office at home.

HD600. High fidelity goodness unlike your low fidelity garbage.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was also looking at the oppo pm-3 but think I will like the sound of the aeon better plus I get to support an American company.

Do you desire more? Has it filled the void, deep in your chest, where your soul should be? If you said no, then you need more. Or death, whichever grants you release first. It's not a race!

You keep saying different headphones, but you never provide a pic + timestamp. I'm beginning to think you don't own any at all, my dear user. We've been doing this for about a month.

should I buy one of the 598s or the dt 770 purely for gaming?
also willing to buy a dac/amp for both

I'm an idiot, I pulled up the first Google result, which was a pair imported from Japan. Looks like the US company sells these too.

K612

This

Any recommended amps for these?

I like how you're new motif is that you're one of the countless anons with magni+hd600 combos.

make up your mind no headphones user

could you also please recommend a closed one

Pioneer monitor 10 with two senn hd600 headband foams and some glue(part of the reason I gave my hd600 away. They just sound better. Heavy as fuck at 530g with no padding stock, though), soundmagic hp151(similar to DT770 and responds very well to mods) dt250(very well tuned. One of the least colored closed headphones I've heard. However, Beyer fucked up and put a PCB in only one cup which causes a channel imbalance. 3d printing something for the other side or fucking with damping fixes this), dt770 pro 80 ohm.

Is there any reason you want to upgrade from m40x? I was considering these for work.

>Budget
Must remain under $200

>Location
US

>Source
Shitty MSI motherboard

>Type of headphone
Over ear; no necessity for closed backs.

>Open or closed
No preference here.

>Comfort level
After years with V-MODA I'm confident that I can wear any set of cans for any period of time.

>Sound signature
I don't know anything about this. For reference I listen to doujin, classical, and podcasts. I would also like to produce music so something well rounded and clean would make the most sense.

>Past headphones
Utter shit.

They're on Amazon for cheaper than that. You don't have to order from Sennheiser.

Ath-msr7
Beyerdynamic custom one pro

You're just used to that sound signature.

HD579 is $99 on Amazon for today. Get one of those

Just want something "better" mainly for a planar because of the bass extension of planar I have heard. Also I have the money to blow now. I've been using my m40x at work daily for 3 years and really have no complaints. One thing to note is get hm5 pads right away.

welcome to the Sennheiser meme.
in sennheiserland nobass+notreble=neutral

Hm5 pads take away bass slam and extension and scoop out the upper midrange on M40X's. Pass.

Bass is pretty flat. No bloat whatsoever

>wasting your money on expensive audio hardware just to listen to generic teen edgelord trash

Jesus Christ, I always knew that people who buy this shit are fucking retarded

Well, like I said, I didn't hear it with the HD 800, I could hear the bass clearly with those.

Fuck, guess I'm getting a HD 800 then. Or should I just go to the HD 800S?

hmm

Bass extension is key

still better than weeb music and lo-fi tbfh.

The better term would be hd600/6xx land. Save yourself the trouble and get the lcd2c, acoustic research ar-h1, or aeon open back.

I don't use Schiit garbage. Schiit is a snake oil company just as ZMF. Avoid like the plague.

Is it me or does the HD650 look significantly better than the HD800 here?

Audeze is compressed unresolving weaksauce, mr speakers is compressed and boring, and acoustic research is... I dunno. Time will tell.

What's the difference? Do you own anything at all?

Going to have to hard pass on the Beyers. The Audio-Technicas seem much more reasonable. Do you have any experience with this pair, or have confidence in a retailer that will have them on display?

a friend of mine owns a pair and swears by them. Out of his phones headphone jack they sounded great to me, were comfy, and seemed to be built with durability in mind. Not a bad looking headphone either.

If it weren't for the fact that I use iems on the go and open headphones indoors I'd own a pair. As far as retailers im not entirely sure.

not exactly sure what you're referencing to by the words compressed, unresolved, etcetc.

No dynamics. Snares hit like a limp penis.

Ether open was a dirty mess with so many issues. Rolled off bass from a planar driver and fucked resonant mids being a few of them. Ether closed was like a cold, lifeless HD600. Better than the open, but still not good. Alpha prime sounded broken.

Audeze bass is really resonant around 80hz which also gives the impression of having slam, when in reality it has none.

do you clearly hear everything around you with open headphones?

I've read that velour kills the bass. Is this true? I try to avoid pleather and leather as my skin doesn't like them.

A slight muffle, I would say

velour will. But they do make hm5 hybrid that is mostly pleather with a velour section on the part that touches your head.

The Adams are worse than LSR305s. All their ribbon tweeters are shrill as fuck.

Will look into those, thanks.

Cool story, Deshazor.
Yes. Anything more than one comfortable open circumaural, one comfortable closed circumaural and one pair of IEMs plus home and portable devices capable of EQ is excessive.

The pleather HM5's kill bass as well due to the massive volume of air inside the pads compared to most stock pads. Additionally, pads act as waveguides for drivers, and the HM5 pleathers are very poor matches for most.

HM5 velours absolutely eat standing waves, but you need a big powerful driver that can still produce bass in free air or be fine without bass for them to work.

Nice try, no headphones user

On the contrary my HD6XX were bassier than my HD800S. Are you sure your chi-fi amp isn't the problem?

>He doesn't have headphones to match his mood or specific genres/albums
>He thinks he can just EQ everything and get the same effect

Sure, you COULD live like that...but why would you? It's like marrying the first girl you fuck, then trying to fit her into different molds, like other girls, to suit you. Dress her up a bit, maybe do a bit of roleplay, hell, maybe even get her some surgery. It might seem similar, but she'll never actually be those other girls, and you'll never know.

Mr. Speakers ether c for $999

mrspeakers dot com slash ether-c-310 dot html

I have one EQ setting for all moods and albums. It always sounds good because I am competent at EQ. Sounds like you need to git gud at EQ, boy.

i prefer buds over all over kinds of 'phones.
for cheap buds you want to get seahf.

>Headphone guide: canpicker.com/
Forgot to mention I added it back to the OP, reason being it's a good resource for recommendations and the guy who made it is one of us. For those who are against it because it uses amazon's affiliate linking, it's not against the rules.

anyone own NVX XPT 100s.
A friend recommended them to me back in 2013 and I just received them in the mail today. They're replacing my HD 555s

youtube.com/watch?v=u8fKfPq1_So

youtube.com/watch?v=6sUwvQO15gw