There's absolutely no reason NOT to use Ubuntu?!

So before you scream "U just don't know how 2 use loonix user. You just don't understand how it works user!" I have used Arch Linux, and it's variants for years. I used it as my main OS for a whole year until i made the mistake of trying to update it. Why do ArchCucks insist that it is some elite OS when it's a hassle to install, and breaks if you breath on it. AUR is overrated it's mostly a petri dish if anything. It would be so much easier to uninstall things you don't like on Ubuntu rather than using Arch. I just don't get why the fact it's more complex to install makes it some godlike OS. I'm not bashing users who genuinely enjoy Arch, but cringey faggots who think using Arch makes them some l33t hax0r computer man bro dudes. Ubuntu, or Debian even you just install and use it. Don't like something. Uninstall it! Don't like the DE. Change it. Antergos, or Manjaro are the only justifiable Arch Distros worth a fuck. Stop being elitists cucks, and hate on the real enemies. Wincucks, and Macfags.

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2165937
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Didn't read but Ubuntu does all I could ask for

ubuntu is basically debian so who cares? i really like both, but i just wished they weren't liberal cucks

Exactly

Agreed.

Ubuntu Gnome is my x220's daily driver and honestly I love it. I'm no computer expert so I love an easy to use GUI. The "open in terminal" option is great. My only complain is that the software center is utter shite

>There's absolutely no reason NOT to use Ubuntu
There is at least one reason.

apt+dpkg.

'Nuff said.

Linux Mint is pretty good as well i just don't really like Cinnamon that much.

Nothing wrong with them.

wait, so rel and fedora use dnf and that equals to apt+dpkg?

It's greater than apt+dpkg in so many ways you're better off just reading the manpage than asking me.

Especially since it's all systemd now, and dnf's systemd integration is supreme.

>when it's a hassle to install
Look at this fucking retard. It's simple, but your brain turns off because there's a black screen with white text, even though it takes less than 15 minutes if you read the fucking guide.

Arch Linux doesn't deserve to be an "elitist" distro. Because I unironically believe that it is the simplest to use and maintain for years, out of all the distros.

Just pacman -Syyyyyyyyyyu'd and nothing broke AMA

Yea i can spend 15 minutes reading instructions on installing Arch or i can click through the Ubuntu install and move on with my life.

How the fresh install going?

And then spend that fifteen minutes of engaging time shitposting on Sup Forums about how you're more productive an an arch user.

why do you lie on the internet

Exactly :)

Mint is only good with cinnamon, anything else is pointless. But seeing how cinnamon is shit (because GNOME is also shit), Mint is pointless itself.

But GNOME is bae user :(

>you must be an executive...

>amazon
But most importantly, Canonical knows their Ubuntu is the reference for many people. So they can get away with single handedly pushing memes like they pushed Unity and are now pushing wayland. Embracing systemd was the last nail in the coffin.
That being said, ubuntu is so easy to install and so widely used that it is the best distro to use on "professional environment". like nasa as shown here ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2165937
I also use ubuntu on my work machine because I don't want to show my power level bringing my riced Arch linux / openbox and I am still getting used to gentoo's useflags so my gentoobox is still a mess.

I like most people need a reason to do things, not reasons to not do things, and as such I have no reason to use Linux aside from Android which is based on Linux in some respects.

As for desktop/laptop computing, Linux offers me nothing at all, not one fucking thing as a reason to use it.

Nothing. Now stop pushing your fucking agenda, you moron.

old habit die hard :^)
/god mode/

Synaptic won't fucking open, fuck you you fucking shill cunt fuck canonical fuck you fuck 17.01its so fucking annoying fucking ugly default ui piece of shit

>>an executive running loonix 0w0

>sudo apt install gnome-session
problem solved

>Run Setup.exe then install Windows
Problem solved.

IT DIDN'T WORK YOU FUCKING CUNT I bought a thinkpad x230 like g told me and installed ubuntu but synaptic can't open I fucking hate this it says segmentation fault (core dumped) how the fuck am I even supposed to fix this I fucking hate ubuntu but I want to use gnome FUUCCCCCK

Just go into the source code and try to see where it's trying to access memory it shouldn't be.

any way to make ubuntu as up to date as debian testing or sid?

I've been thinking about switching to fedora lately

How old are you?

Why does this matter?

I'm not a programmer I don't fucks with 'source code'

>Linux offers me nothing at all
you really don't have a problem with telemetry up the ass and forced updates?

Arch installation with instructions takes 15 minutes. Ubuntu installation with your little clicking takes half an hour

two words:
file picker

Who designed that shit?

>file size and modification time are very important and must be visible for every file even if it makes the UI less space efficient (list a best! t. autisgnome devs)
>the actual file contents are irrelevant to selecting a file
>that's why you get a pint sized retangular preview of certain image formats in a fuckhuge gray sidebar at the most, just so you can know you finally found the right image/have some random selecting ahead of you

lol
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154
----
Considering the number of people who have taken the time to comment here and
> the fact that this report was originally opened 10 YEARS AGO, I'd expect that
> you guys would make this a higher priority than you have.

that's not how open source development works. if you want to make this feature happen, then I humbly suggest you write a patch for it, instead of leaving comments on Bugzilla. all we can do is help you (or whoever else wants to tackle this) in writing the patch, getting it reviewed, and accepted.

> Also, I hear people frequently complain about not being able to rename or open
> files from the same file picker. Those might be worth adding as well.

there are other bugs filed for those, and they all need patches and attention from volunteers. feel free to help.
---

But they had plenty of time to make this abomination.

Open sores in a nutshell.

I see you achieved enlightenment

What phone is that

"the virgin mobile"

>If you breath on it
>breath on it
>breath
Opinion discarded

this

/thread

Why don't you just use Debian at that point then?

I've used arch for a couple months desu. I was using the LTS kernel and after an update the wifi card stopped working. Fixed by downgrading the kernel and then switching to non-LTS, but I'm on the prowl for a less fragile distro desu

Pretty much a respin of Ubuntu with neckbeard rice and without the testing, secure build process or timely patches.

Well, I just installed arch for the first time yesterday.

I don't think I'll use this as my daily driver, but I have to admit it teaches you a lot about how things work together.

When are you installing X11?

Fuck off, it's redhate pushing:

>pulseaudio
>whatever that new video pulse is
>syndromed
>network-manager
>wayland
>restricted access to patches
>gtk3 fatbar edition

Redhat is the cancer killing linux.

>X11
dude, wayland, lmao

I get most of these (systemd and pulse can go fuck themselves), but what's wrong with gtk3, network manager, and wayland?

>restricted access to patches
Wait what, I've heard all the other ones before (reason I use gentoo) but I haven't heard of restricted packages.

Synaptic doesn't run on Wayland. Log out and change the session to Xorg (Ubuntu on Xorg or GNOME on Xorg if you installed gnome-session).

GTK3 is fatbars all over. Network-manager needlessly deprecated existing traditional utilities with the ip command instead of extending route, ifconfig etc. Wayland is for people who don't understand why X is the way it is, so reinvent the wheel.

ok so most of these are "not necessarily terrible, but completely fucking pointless and there was no legit reason for their creation" makes sense.
I don't use a ton of gtk3 applications, aside from firefox, so I don't really know much about the bars. are they that awful?

fuck off red hat shill, go back to working on positive train control or something

I use debian. I like it.

Just pointing out that redhat is doing more to fuck up Linux than anyone else.

I agree. only thing I can think of that they actually do as far as linux developments that's legit good is KVM, which wasn't originally theirs to begin with.
Considering that businesses probably like the corporate nature of redhat, and so many sites and things run on it, i'm glad that it exists, as a means of keeping more marketshare. My issue is when the stupid shit they do (basically everything in your list) starts infecting other distros outside themselves.

It took me literally less than 10 minutes.

Yes brother.

I do sometimes. It's installed on my thinkpad. Might do desktop install but idk yet.

Amazon is now the biggest driver of kvm. Ubuntu has long had a leadership role in openstack with solid funding and contribution, and also partnerships with Azure and AWS. Redhat seems to have just slipped into the groove of the old proprietary Unix ways which I remember well. The Unix vendors thought nothing of changing things to lock you in.

Debian should really just be Ubuntu, but because of their stupid releases and determination that older software is ALWAYS more stable just use Ubuntu.

There was/is a patch, they refuse to accept it.

The default ubuntu gui is just retarded, if you use it on a small laptop you get a gigantic task bar that cpvers 1/8th your screen. It is also pretty slow compared to something like mate, I have been using ubuntu mate for a while now but I am currently slowly switching my machines to arch

oh damn

In context of Ubuntu/Debian, stable means unchanging not more reliable.

The final redpill is Debian testing.

>milf testing

>Don't like something. Uninstall it!
Ok but why would I bother trying to get ubuntu to work without systemd (which was designed to be as hard to replace as possible) when there are distros that don't use it in the first place?

>lol if you use a distro with a complicated installation process you're just a wannabe l33t hax0r
>instead you should install ubuntu and then spend several days trying to change fundamental parts of the distro's install in ways it was never meant to be changed
What a retard

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

fuck off with the low effort copy pasta

calm the fuck down

this is what you do

You are incorrect, sir. Mint XFCE is much faster than Xubuntu. I'm a MATE fan myself, but it can be too much for some older systems, and I never liked the feel of LXDE. I thought I was imagining things while trying Xfce out. But after testing many PCs, I can see the difference and it really helps.

>using iwconfig to join a wifi network instead of selecting it from a GUI menu like a normal person
>implying wayland isn't being developed by actual Xorg devs who simply want to push network transparency and the other shit to another layer and focus on making an efficient and maintainable display server.