/pcbg/ PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds WITHOUT a dedicated graphics card
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds WITH a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/YKHH6X
youtube.com/watch?v=yyw7coOhN78
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=373
amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-T2-Heatpipes/dp/B00K7809O2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511830461&sr=1-1&
amazon.com/dp/B01N27QWFA/
pcpartpicker.com/product/yRdFf7/samsung-lc32hg70qqnxza-490-3840x1080-144hz-monitor-lc32hg70qqnxza)
pcpartpicker.com/list/yvhQTH
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=m2GJVn
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6H5GN9035&cm_re=165Hz_IPS_1440p_Gsync_monitors-_-24-116-827-_-Product
amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-SWIFT-PG348Q-3440x1440/dp/B01C83BE6U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511834614&sr=1-1&keywords=ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q 34
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=6HNyf7
pcpartpicker.com/list/fX47f8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Previous:

Thanks for the help I didn't realize that. Heres new build (when its back in stock)
pcpartpicker.com/list/YKHH6X

Asking here again
cheapest not loud heatsink for my ryzen 1700x cpu
Ideally the flat kind since it's going to be used as a server and I dont plan on turning it off very often, but needs to be not loud as shit because I'll be using it in my room.

>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds WITHOUT a dedicated graphics card
Hey, shithead, I told you to stop including that line. No one is falling for your tricks and it just makes us go round and round every time

Is WD black worth the cost over blue?

HDD?
I would say yes unless it's for backups and colder storage.

The mobo Im going to buy has 2400 Mhz listed as standard memory speed and 3866 MHz as OC speed. Does it mean if I buy a RAM with 3000 MHz it'll downclock to 2400 unless I go in and OC it. Will it run stable?

>Buying a 1700x for a server
Why
Anyway, ve more specific. That barely tells me anything.
As far as flar coolers go, there's the C7, NH-L12S, Shadow Rock LP, and maybe a couple others.

THAT PIC

Cheap
not loud
works with 1700x
thats all i care about

Is she trying to soldier the motherboards chipset?

No one cares but you aspie

Get the i5 8400 and 3000MHz RAM

>gtx 1060 6GB is the card for me
>put it into a vendor's search engine
>60+ results that are all gtx 1060 6GB
w-wat do?

There are lots of posters who BTFO the AM4 APUs. And it's not just reasonably intelligent anons (unlike you), respected tech reviewers have the same opinion.
youtube.com/watch?v=yyw7coOhN78

1060s 6GB are 250 bucks right now. Should I upgrade from my 970 3.5GB meme card and try and pawn it.

Read the OP and use PCPartPicker
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=373

Not an upgrade, it's a sidegrade at best

i'd bet no one itt has even soldered anything recently

A 1060 6GB is in every way a better card than a 970 and is in no way a sidegrade.

Do I have any cheap upgrade paths from this four-year old build (GPU is R9 280x) or have I waited long enough that I'll have to start from scratch? I'm really only looking to play modern games at high settings at 144hz, 1080p

I should have upgraded RAM years ago but the cost skyrocketed. Is the used part market something I can trust?

Isn't it notorious for having problems when all its memory is being accessed. I do see it struggling at times when it's close to 100% load.

amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-T2-Heatpipes/dp/B00K7809O2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511830461&sr=1-1&
for $10, but is a tower fan so doesnt cool the mobo at all
or go for this which blows air down at the mobo, is quiet, but costs $45
amazon.com/dp/B01N27QWFA/

Are you able to wipe your asshole without help?

I just did yesterday for my mechatronics project.

>I do see it struggling at times when it's close to 100% load.
>100% load
You don't say?

>1060 6GB - 52%
>970 - 45%
Is this a sudden attack of idiocy or are you regularly this dumb?

If you start from scratch you will need new RAM as well. Current mobos use DDR4 ram. Yours is DDR4. If I were you, I would only upgrade when I have to upgrade the entire system.

Should I buy a new motherboard just so I can OC my RAM?

I'm not sure if it's a limitation on the 3.5GB limit or not and if I should be getting more performance on what the card was advertised for

Why do you need to OC your RAM?

Because everybody says new CPU benefits from faster RAM. Mine are 2133 MHzlet.

Ryzen? What is the advertised speed of your RAM?

How stupid are you? He sells his 970 for 150USD net, after ebay or pawn fees, and buys a 1060 6GB for 250USD. He pays an additional 100USD (67% of the value of the 970) for 10% performance improvement.

A 1070 would be an upgrade. A 1060 is the same tier as the 970.

Try to fall into the toilet water again tonight, dummy.

Looking to migrate from my rats nest of a router, switches, 3 PCs, a UPS, etc into a rack.

What's a good inexpensive rack that's under a couple hundred dollarydoos?

i5 7600k
They are the same as the maximum speed my mobo allows because I thought it wouldnt work otherwise.

You are fine. Intel doesn't benefit as much from RAM speed increase as it does AMD. You are better off saving that money and investing it towards your next build or upgrade.

>the monetary values is equivalent to performance value
Im not that guy and I think you're retarded.

looking to upgrade my RAM. should I keep my 2x8 2400 DDR4 and add 2x8 3200 DDR4 to it, or should I sell the 2400 and just stick to the 3200?

Won't the 10 series have better dx support

>Mixing RAM sticks
Don't do this.

Fascinating but mostly irrelevant discussion on the financials of this decision, which was never in debate. Back to my original point rebutting yours.
>Not an upgrade
It is.
>it's a sidegrade at best
It is not.

>A 1060 is the same tier as the 970.
I don't know what "tier" means here. The 1060 6GB is, contrary to your statement, a superior card to the 970 and not a sidegrade. The graph you posted should give you a rough idea of by how much. Whether it is financially sensible to upgrade from a 970 to a 1060 6GB is an entirely different discussion which I did not have and am not having.

Thanks for playing.

By that logic the getting 1070 would make him pay atleast 167% of the 970 value for 23% performance increase

Looking for a great 4k or 2k gaming monitor for a GTX1080Ti and i7-8700k build.

IS the Samsung that's suggested in the Pcpartpicker (pcpartpicker.com/product/yRdFf7/samsung-lc32hg70qqnxza-490-3840x1080-144hz-monitor-lc32hg70qqnxza) worth it since it only has Freesync and no Gsync?

I am pretty much stuck whether I should just wait out the 4k hype and the prices to go down or get something really good right off the bat.

How many times do we need to tell people
Nvidia
Does
Not
Work
With
Free
Sync

Awwww, feel free to kill yourself when/if you have a moment of clarity and realize you're a waste of skin and a drain on society, nigger

Of course, but "better" doesn't mean it's worth exchanging a 970 for a 1060. It's a waste of money

If you already have RAM or a mobo it's not worth the cost or hassle of swapping it out.
In the case of the i5 7600K poster, if you have a Z chipset mobo (which you should, because you bought an unlocked CPU), you can OC your RAM buy going into the BIOS manually overclocking the RAM.

Later, retard. Going from a 970 to a 1060 is a sidegrade. Period. Unequivocally. Over and out.

You are too stupid to correctly calculate percentages. Quit posting.

970 = 45%
1070 = 68%

Percent change is calculated as [Difference] / [Original] * 100%.
(68 - 43) / 43 * 100% = 51% change

It is well known that the 1070 is NOT a great value card; as absolute performance rises above the best value product, value decreases. Or did you think you're going to pay the same price/GB in a 240GB SSD as a 1TB SSD? The 240GB SSD is a better value.

I would create a robot with only sticks, jizz and love

it's here, it's here

wat do

until nvidia writes like 2 lines of code and enables their cards to work with freesync

You can use a Freesync monitor with an Nvidia card. In fact most monitors (that aren't already Gsync) come with Freesync now. Your post is unclear.

4K hasn't arrived
If you want Gsync you should wait for VA panels and HDR10

Oh boy oh boy, a locked core i5.
Jokes aside have fun building your computer.

Goddamn, whats the price range I should expect for 3000 or 3200 DDR4 Samsung B-die this time around?? Last time I pay for DDR4 was some ricer Averix Blue 2400 8x2 for $60.

Prices are banana right now, fuck.

Wannabe setup
Ryzen 1700
MSI 1050 Ti
GA AB350N Gaymen WIFI

That is not how it works idiot.
Driver side implementation of adaptive sync isn't something you just "lock" up. You have to writer software for it to actually the tech.

That particular monitor has notorious flickering issues. Great choice going with a VA panel however.

Thanks user. I guess I will save my money for now and bide my time. Just that I have a pretty old Samsung SyncMaster P2770 and was wondering what I could get that's a reasonable upgrade to let the 1080Ti shine.

Finally got my 1080ti
Goodbye integrated graphics

I'll probably wait for a 1070 to hit the b stock on EVGA at a low price then. 1060s have taken a pretty big price dip the difference between both cards is more than 100 bucks in terms of OC editions. Sucks but the 1070 is like a baseline for mining so I guess they drive the supplier price up.

Sup Forums

For Christmas I can upgrade my CPU, RAM, and motherboard. I don't render. Only game and internet.

I've been looking into it, and I want a i5 8600k but theyre all out of stock. Annoying.

Would a Ryzen 7 1700x or 1800x be good? I want something future proof, as I am going to get a 1080 ti or a next gen nvidia GPU next year. I game in 2560x1600 atm. Moving to 4k when i can get a monitor and GPU. How does the ryzen 7 compare to the i7 7700k for gaming?

I don't want the GPU in the future getting bottlenecked.

Eh, that card is a complete was with your current monitor. You might look into the 165Hz IPS 1440p Gsync monitors, or just buy a 1080p 144Hz montor (that you know you can sell later and recoup most of its original cost) as a stopgap measure

pcpartpicker.com/list/yvhQTH
>replacing a Core2Duo era desktop
>Debian Linux Workstation
>Don't need much processing power at all
>dying to try on an m.2 drive after years of dealing with ancient SATA
>Intel wifi a huge plus
Feel a bit iffy doing a kaby build at the moment, but coffee lake would be super-overkill for my use case and I don't need the extra ryzen cores or discrete graphics.
>Can anyone tell me if Intel is going to update their celeron or pentium line next year?
Kinda considering other ULV chips in fanless systems like LIVA but I need a little bit more than the 32gb local storage that comes on most of them.

Thanks. Is there Anything that is better than the Samsung at the moment? As I mentioned before my current monitor is an oldish Samsung SyncMaster P2770. What is a good (and I am sure expensive) monitor upgrade now that can really work well with my 1080Ti?

No budget? Then get the 8700k

i know absolutely zilch about computer parts
could i just get this if my heaviest game in gta5?
multitasking is a thing i do too
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=m2GJVn

Hey guys. I recently bought a new monitor to upgrade my older, crappier one. It is an Asus VG278Q, and I've been trying to look up settings for it but everyone seems to just straight up have a different model than I do. They mention using a "standard" or "Theater" display, but my monitor has neither. Instead it has different gaming modes (Literally, it has an FPS mode, RTS mode, Moba mode, stuff like that) and I can't figure out which to use to set it up.

Does anyone else have a VG278Q and can let me know what I am doing wrong? Mine has a little stick on the back it uses for controlling menus.

Are the new Seagate Ironwolf HDDs shit already? How can they be this bad? How are they still in business? Are newegg reviews just biased towards negative reviews because people with problems are more likely to voice them?

They're the cheapest out of the 8-12TB options, compared to WDs or fucking HGSTs

Why the fuck would you pair a 1700 with a 1050Ti

>I don't render. Only game and internet. Would a Ryzen 7 1700x or 1800x be good?
No it would not. You're looking at the R5 1600/X. At 4K even a 1080Ti will be the bottleneck

>Annoying.
You know what? The fact that you're annoyed annoys me. Take your first world problems and cram them up your ass along with your need for instant gratification. Coffee Lake CPUs are in stock briefly at Newegg almost every day

"Modes" are garbage and nonsense placebo.
Set the brightness, contrast, color, temp and freq to something that suits your eyes and looks right to you and that should be fine.

Please tell me how much of a fucking moron I am

Well, they're very noticeably different depending upon which one I choose, and I see no default or standard mode to even work with.

Should I just pick one and fuck around with it? I downloaded an ICC profile but it looked like shit because I'm not on the same 'mode' as them.

Use the racing mode or RGB mode, calibrate the contrast and brightness going from that and don't touch it ever again. Most of them aren't actually good.

I dunno if my mom will get me the 8700k. Feel kind of bad asking her for it since it's 414 dollars. I could ask for it, then not ask for RAM and just buy it myself. Or I could get a lesser CPU and RAM from her.

The others are closer to 300 and ryzen is on sale right now.

Is getting the 8700k worth it? It terms of future proofing. I usually get a new CPU every 2-4 years. Video Card every 2 years. I want to be able to game in 4k and not be bottlenecked.

seems like a pretty standard mid/low end pc
not sure what you want me to tell you.

Thank you user

There's nothing wrong with this

>I dunno if my mom will get me the 8700k
You need to be 18 to post on this site

Would something like this be a good buy?
Viewsonic:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6H5GN9035&cm_re=165Hz_IPS_1440p_Gsync_monitors-_-24-116-827-_-Product

ASUS ROG SWIFT:
amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-SWIFT-PG348Q-3440x1440/dp/B01C83BE6U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511834614&sr=1-1&keywords=ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q 34

I'm 27 years old. She gets me Christmas gifts still.

>That picture.
Lost it.

Modes are just different contrast, color, temp, brightness with templates. Doing it manually will always be the best. Don't use modes, go look at what others are using for their settings.

That will definitely run GTAV well at 1440p.
If you're at 1080p it's overkill

It's fine, but I'd get the G4560, just because.
The Pentium line is definitely getting updated, not sure about the Celeron line. If you really want to go 2 core / 2 thread, check out the ultra low wattage J series Celerons. You could even passively cool one.

If you want to game in 4k or 144hz with the newest AAA games, yes you need the 8700k.

Get a Zen chip, R5 1600 would be ideal. That way you'll get exactly what you need and won't act spoiled.

thanks
i don't need 1440p though, would this be a good replacement?
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=6HNyf7

>Why the fuck would you pair a 1700 with a 1050Ti
The only decent GPU that fits a Silverstone ML06B-E.

It's fine, try to enable XMP or OC your RAM
Did you just buy that used or something? The value is about $600.

>If you want to game in 4k or 144hz with the newest AAA games, yes you need the 8700k.
No you don't, retard. First of all resolution has no effect on CPU requirements, and secondly an i5 8400 can max out all current games (example: ) for all practical purposes.

Yep

Ok, well then get an R3 1200 or R5 1600 if it's just a media / light gaming PC. You only get an R7 for heavy rendering work etc

Whats a good monitor for a RX 480 paired with a FX 8350? Been looking at 1080p 144hz with freesync but a lot seem like mixed reviews.

Future plan is a 1800x and a 1070ti at 1440p 144hz

My parents gave me some money to build my own PC for school and I had no idea what I was doing, but I guess it turned out alright

I'd go prebuilt at that voltage/budget/use-case. Lots of $300-500 SFF to be had with all the features you want and they'll be a lot quieter than that case/psu.

thanks again

What's wrong with the pic?

>no effect
Muh bad, meant affect.

If you have 1080p 60Hz now, just keep that.
If you don't have anything at all just get a $60 used 1080p IPS monitor or a 144Hz VA panel monitor. The high Hz monitor would be good for a transition, because your later high end graphics card wouldn't be wasted on it

Ok, well then get an R3 1200 or R5 1600 if it's just a media / light gaming PC. You only get an R7 for heavy rendering work etc

CPU is not an issue, I can change on the fly. My issue right now is 3200 ram pricing not making any sense. Maybe because I've been away, but what the fuck like 30% premium across the board.

This is my build from 2012. How much am I going to have to scrap to bring it into the current year?
pcpartpicker.com/list/fX47f8

Do you have a suggestion on a specific brand? Right now I have a generic 1080p monitor and my sony bravia HDTV as the 2nd monitor.

I should also include that I game regularly between FPS/RTS as well as stream.

that is a soldering iron, the metal bit she is holding is what gets hot

thanks

There's one in the OP pcpartpicker. MSI Optix
Some user has been making noise about flickering, so do your research

If you want to get back in the game just get a new graphics card like the GTX 1060 and an SSD.
Your platform (CPU+mobo+RAM) is almost dead though.