BSD And Other Things

/baot/ - *BSD And Other Things
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFly, FreeNAS, etc.

#baot @ irc.rizon.net
#freebsd/#openbsd/#netbsd @ irc.freenode.net

freebsd.org/handbook
openbsd.org/faq
netbsd.org/docs
dragonflybsd.org/docs

>"Linux user here. Why should I try BSD?"
over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01
sivers.org/openbsd

Ask questions, get answers, ignore obvious trolls.

Other urls found in this thread:

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

wew

Please don't post content-free OPs, OP. Only make a thread if you have something to say. But thank you for adding the DragonFlyBSD documentation to your post.

Can I run a modern graphical desktop on openBSD? KDE Plasma?

How about steam games?

>Can I run a modern graphical desktop on openBSD? KDE Plasma?
Yes.
>How about steam games?
Steam is closed source, and Valve only releases it for GNU/Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X. So no.

I was under the impression you can run pretty much any Linux executable on *BSD?

On OpenBSD, you only have KDE 4, not 5. I think FreeBSD has KDE 5 coming soon, with an experimental repository already available.
Only FreeBSD has a Linux compatibility layer. Think of it like WINE, but for running GNU/Linux programs on FreeBSD.

Is HardenedBSD a meme? And am I retarded for falling for it if it is?

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
Some people wonder whether anyone can actually fix FreeBSD or not. But if it works for you, good!

>I think FreeBSD has KDE 5 coming soon, with an experimental repository already available.
That's good to hear.
Anyway do you know if those BSDs (already) ship qtcurve? Qtcurve is a widget theme engine that works on KDE4 and 5

If I install BSD into my laptop, if you know, can I expect any of the following?
>custom resolution on external monitor
>qualcomm w/lan card
>usb3.0
>realtek audio
>wacom support

wacom support is not native btw.
In theory kde's wacom setting should support it but I don't know if it will require xf86, does BSD ship xf86?

FreeBSD has qtcurve, OpenBSD doesn't.
>If I install BSD into my laptop, if you know, can I expect any of the following?
I honestly have no idea, I only use desktops. And the major four BSDs are different OSes, rather than distributions, so they can have varying support for things. I can only recommend putting in a separate hard drive and trying it out with the BSDs you're interested in trying. It's how I settled on FreeBSD for my desktop: I prefer OpenBSD as an OS but Nvidia refuses to release graphics drivers for anything but FreeBSD.

Thanks for responding,
Is it possible to dualboot linux and BSD?

Obviously! Just use grub.

You can dualboot any two OSes. I normally keep one OS per drive though, so I don't know how to use GRUB. But as the other poster said, you can probably find a GRUB configuration that works just fine.

OpenBSD intentionally removed the linux and WINE compatibility, but free software works fine on it. The FreeBSD linux compat can be a chore if you're running 64-bit, for gaymen it's often easier to just use WINE.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>free software works on it
Exactly. Most BSDs run more free than most GNU/Linux distributions.

which BSD is best BSD?

Personal preference. OpenBSD.

They all suck and are horribly broken if you want a useable desktop OS.

Please try not to lie on the internet. It's very rude, especially when others are trying to have intellectual discussions.

I tried it. It's shit. Stop shilling shit.

OpenBSD has my vote

I liked OpenBSD a lot while I was using it, but it was kinda slow and the USB 3.0 drivers didn't work. My vote is for HardenedBSD, although OpenBSD is a close second

Doesn't the linuxlator just convert Linux syscalls to BSD ones? The copypasta's irrelevant (and wrong anyway)

>I don't like it and you're not allowed to either
Stop.

I second this. OpenBSD has some very sane defaults, good doco and is just pretty nice to use. If you're a noob it's a good place to learn by example. I consider OpenBSD and Ubuntu to be my favourite systems and have used both in production environments, very complimentary feature sets.

Nas4Free > FreeNas

Tell me why it's shit. It does everything I want. Tell meabout something you were unable to do.

MacOS

>XNU
Not BSD.

Tell that to Randall Schwartz.

Okay. If I ever see him, I will.